Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,391 members, 7,815,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? (51288 Views)

Nigerians Mock James Momoh Over 'Dream About 24-Hour Electricity In Nigeria' / Nigerians To Get 18-Hour Electricity Supply Soon – Sale Mamman, Power Minister / Maiduguri Residents Protest Against YEDC For Supplying Them 24-hour Electricity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by dettolgel: 10:15pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:
The Tinubu government has just increased electricity cost for band A customers to N225 per KPH.

For context, customers in the US pay about the same cost per KPH (or cheaper) depending on the state you live in.

Energy analysts are explaining that Nigerians are willing to pay more if they have access to electricity.

Based on data from NerdWallet, the average monthly electricity cost in the US is about $137 which is about N178,000.

Are you willing to pay N178,000 monthly for electricity for a 24-hour supply?

What of kind of stupid question is this? Of course Nigerians are willing to pay if the government is willing to pay 17k per hour or 2.6m naira minimum wage per month?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by qtguru(m): 10:15pm On Apr 03
Angelfrost:

How much is the minimum wage in that EU?

What is the state of security??!

How is the business environment??!

What is the level of corruption and transparency in government??!

How free and fair are their elections??!

What is the state of their judiciary and parliament?!!

Use your brain before commenting or trying to make justifications.

Story all I know is I'm paying less bills for 24/7 power compared to my running cost of doing business in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by phemmie06(m): 10:16pm On Apr 03
Angelfrost:

They are being mischievous and insensitive... Or maybe they are just dull! undecided

I will go with the last adjective, cos a dull person won't be sensitive
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by dettolgel: 10:17pm On Apr 03
qtguru:
Meanwhile here in EU,my light bill is 38 euros for the month

Please can you also include how much minimum wage is there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Winning123: 10:17pm On Apr 03
numtums:
minimum wage in the u.s is about $1200 = about N1.5m per month. Are the government willing to pay this?

To be sincere I've given up on Nigeria, there are two problems; the government and the people. If the government changes are the people willing to change?

Do you buy a litre of bottled water for N1300 in Nigeria which is over $1 in the US. I honestly don't know how many of you think.

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by lexy2014: 10:17pm On Apr 03
aieromon:

How can it be available when a nation of 200 million people is still struggling to produce 12GW?

The sector requires massive investment on infrastructure and these investors will not enter an industry where the Nigerian state will sell cheap electricity to its people.

Read up on NESCO in Jos and Ossiomo in Benin. Their clients pay premium to enjoy 24/7 light.

https://www.nesconigeria.com/

if you say that the power is not available, then how come the government is charging Nigerians for power that is not available?

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by frog12: 10:18pm On Apr 03
only certain parts of the states have 24/7 electricity. many places have transformer issues that they cannnot fix

mrvitalis:

I have always said it here, Nigerians that can afford 24 hours electricity already have it

There is no one that wants electricity 24/7 that can't get them

Nigerians want the impossible which is free/cheap and steady electricity... Electricity is luxury and we are too poor for it right now

We don't need electricity for development

There is absolutely no company you can start only when you have electricity 24/7 that u can't start now
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Devaro: 10:18pm On Apr 03
His supporters will keep mute

The man has been and will continue to be a failure with all his doings.

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Lexusgs430: 10:18pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:
The Tinubu government has just increased electricity cost for band A customers to N225 per KPH.

For context, customers in the US pay about the same cost per KPH (or cheaper) depending on the state you live in.

Energy analysts are explaining that Nigerians are willing to pay more if they have access to electricity.

Based on data from NerdWallet, the average monthly electricity cost in the US is about $137 which is about N178,000.

This government is just doing things upside down.........

- How much is the minimum wage........
- What is the rate of unemployment.......
- What is the cost/standard of living.......

Majority of our citizens are probably the poorest in the world or the second poorest.....

We dey one chance journey.......

3 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by IbnB: 10:19pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:

APC's mercenaries have swamped this thread to brainwash the gullible Ngerian public as usual

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by socialmediaman: 10:19pm On Apr 03
mrvitalis:

Poor I America can't died get a house not to talk electricity

Minimum wage is for poor people. Those who work as servers in restaurants or do menial jobs.

They can afford to pay for electricity monthly, but you’re saying the poor shouldn’t have access to electricity in Nigeria, even when Nigeria produces the gas that powers the generating plants?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Honestey: 10:20pm On Apr 03
Chicken change, sebi minimum wage is N800,000. Make Power Holders kuku come uproot their poles commot from our street

5 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Kefetu(m): 10:20pm On Apr 03
So, barbers and hairdressers spend #178,000, and I know as U are, U do borrow data to browse
quote author=aieromon post=129254453]

Let's look at the facts on ground.

House 1
Power load = 2000W
Average of 20hrs/day gives 600 hours in a 30 day calendar month.
Power consumption = 2kW * 600h = 1200kWh
Cost of power consumed = ₦225 * 1200 = ₦270,000

House 2
Power load = 2000W
Power is generated using a 2.5 kVA petrol generator. Running wattage is 2000W.
Fuel efficiency = 1.1litres/hour (15 litres in 14 hours at 50% load - generator will consume more if we increase the load but let us stick with this for the purpose of this comparison)
For House 2 to generate 600hrs in a month requires 660L of PMS.
At ₦560/litre, House 2 will spend a sum of ₦369,600 in an attempt to replicate power supply from DISCOs. Maintenance cost has not been factored in these calculations.

A lot of small scale businesses spend up to ₦178,000 monthly running petrol generators.

Power is not cheap!

[/quote]
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by yongg: 10:21pm On Apr 03
If the average monthly earnings is NGN1.78m or above why not?.

As at 2021, data I gathered suggested an average Nigerian NEEDED at least NGN 1.3m monthly for modest living, nothing fancy, just modest living.

So going by the trending inflation a few years after that, that figure will invariably now be NGN 2.6m monthly and above.

I found it quite funny that alot of people were clowning labour lead Ajero when he mentioned the 1m figure as minimum wage... You guys think the figure heads in this country really care going by their actions? Something the masses should have taken seriously....

With all things being the same that figure was perfect, achieve the wage figure, worry about inflation later, that should be government's job. If the inflation increases again, keep on raising the wages commensurately until sense return to their dome to regulate the economy better.

With the same seriousness banks look after their money, or greedy politicians parading the Nigerian halls of power should be the same seriousness the Nigerian citizen takes their welfare and ensure commensurate and equal amount of service paid for no mincing of words or laxity.

6 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Skty: 10:21pm On Apr 03
NaMe4:

Minimum wage should be at least 800k per month.

This comment is very annoying.. government both state and federal level employ only 1% of Nigerians.. so why should 1% of Nigerians determine the market..na wa o

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by lexy2014: 10:22pm On Apr 03
Winning123:

Do you buy a litre of bottled water for N1300 in Nigeria which is over $1 in the US. I honestly don't know how many of you think.

you are only corroborating what he said.

people can afford to buy a litre of bottled water for $1 (N1300) because their minimum wage is $1200 a month the equivalent of N1.2m.

why then should government decide that Nigerians should pay for electricity at the same rate Americans pay for electricity when you have agreed that Nigerians cant purchase items in Nigeria at the price that Americans purchase those same items?

how can aa Nigerian purchase electricity in Nigeria with 30k a month at the rate americans purchase electricity?

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Shegznation001(m): 10:22pm On Apr 03
From which salary wey una dey pay?

3 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by tollyboy5(m): 10:22pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:
More context and data (using N1,300 = $1 conversion rate):

Electricity cost per KWH for band A in Nigeria = 17 cents. The minimum wage in Nigeria is N30,000 monthly.

Electricity cost per KWH in North Dakota (US) = 10 cents. Minimum wage in North Dakota is $7.25 per hour (N1.3 million naira monthly).

Electricity cost per KWH in Texas (US) = 15 cents. Minimum wage in Texas is $7.25 per hour (N1.3 million naira monthly).

Note: Many Nigerians living in major cities (rich or poor) in Nigeria fall within the band A category, including residents and businesses.
Lol I'm just seeing this. Our minimum wages don't match our expenses.

This is a good news for those of us into solar and inverter production grin

2 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Paramount01(m): 10:22pm On Apr 03
Zxcvbnmghtr:
The increase in tarrif is very welcome. I was very glad when I heard the news. As for me, I am more than ready to pay. I hope is that the keep their end of the bargain, no disappointment 24/7 supply of electricity.
which state did u bas

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Noblemanonpoint: 10:23pm On Apr 03
ravensckar:
Nigerians can never learn! We're just too short sighted to see beyond our nose.

Let's start from FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL. Almost a year now that subsidy was removed, has any refinery been built? All the so-called CNG plan, which one has been implemented. The government just increased fuel price with bogus promise and we fell for it.

Now, it's ELECTRICITY TARIFF. The government is trying so hard to increase the tariff with nothing on ground. The issue of estimated billing (for unmetred households) hasn't been addressed. Power generation & transmission issue is still there. Some communities still don't have a functioning transformer, PHCN isn't doing anything about it. The govt's primary concern is to increase tariff. Tinubu just wants to sniff life out of poor Nigerians.

Also, comparing the tariff in Nigeria with that of U.S.A is a sign of brain fault. Why can't we compare the electricity tariffs of our West African neighbours like BENIN REP.,GHANA, IVORY COAST, etc. After all, they are enjoying 24/7 power supply.

After swallowing this Electricity Tariff increment, the next thing would be increase in the cost of assessing PUBLIC HEALTH CARE. That is of course after increasing school fee for all public institutions. Let's see how long we can all adjust. cheesy cheesy

And lest I forget, this Electricity Tariff increment will favour me and my family. cheesy cheesy

Las las, we go get sense for this country.

Most sensible comment i read on this post.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by noobody(m): 10:23pm On Apr 03
This is madness,

I can't afford this ooo

What exactly is going on

Are they trying to push us to revolt or something?

I can't afford this oooo

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Lomprico2: 10:23pm On Apr 03
Dialpad:
That's reasonable for 24/7 light...

Your papa

3 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by YesDaddyTill203: 10:23pm On Apr 03
This analysis is wrong. Most Nigerian homes don't use as much electricity as we do in the US. Almost all homes in the US have central systems that waste lots of electricity for heating and cooling. In Nigeria, we mostly have ACs in rooms that can be on and off as needed. Hence we tend to consume less electricity.
the vast majority of Nigerians will not even pay close to this amount even with 24-hour electricity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Kukutente23: 10:23pm On Apr 03
aieromon:

Let's look at the facts on ground.

House 1
Power load = 2000W
Average of 20hrs/day gives 600 hours in a 30 day calendar month.
Power consumption = 2kW * 600h = 1200kWh
Cost of power consumed = ₦225 * 1200 = ₦270,000

House 2
Power load = 2000W
Power is generated using a 2.5 kVA petrol generator. Running wattage is 2000W.
Fuel efficiency = 1.1litres/hour (15 litres in 14 hours at 50% load - generator will consume more if we increase the load but let us stick with this for the purpose of this comparison)
For House 2 to generate 600hrs in a month requires 660L of PMS.
At ₦560/litre, House 2 will spend a sum of ₦369,600 in an attempt to replicate power supply from DISCOs. Maintenance cost has not been factored in these calculations.

A lot of small scale businesses spend up to ₦178,000 monthly running petrol generators.

Power is not cheap!

This is total crap
Your analogy is like comparing transportation via a Lexus with transport via keke napep then concluding that transport is not cheap.
The baseline is affordability
Even the petrol at 600 is not deemed affordable in the first place so using it as a yardstick just shows that the system is getting worse in terms of purchasing power for the average citizen.
A lot of people have stopped using gens since the fuel price hike. They now rely solely on public pwr supply and now that's about to be taken from them.
That's the inference in your submission

6 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by chucks185: 10:23pm On Apr 03
mrvitalis:

I have always said it here, Nigerians that can afford 24 hours electricity already have it

There is no one that wants electricity 24/7 that can't get them

Nigerians want the impossible which is free/cheap and steady electricity... Electricity is luxury and we are too poor for it right now

We don't need electricity for development

There is absolutely no company you can start only when you have electricity 24/7 that u can't start now
shut up, other neighboring west-african countries are having steady light and you here talking rubbish.

5 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Tonytonex(m): 10:23pm On Apr 03
Yes!
But if only the minimum wage is 2 million per month.
Fools

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by concho(m): 10:24pm On Apr 03
Solar na how much

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by ugwum007(m): 10:25pm On Apr 03
TheOldGods:
power is not cheap, but what the f**k is the minimum wage at those countries? They can easily pay for power without feeling a thing. It will take a house earning 50k over 3 months to pay for 1 month of electricity. If Nigerians no protest these nonsense, na dem know. My visa is already out.

Someone earning 50k per month does not have any business with a power load of 2000w
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by ppogba: 10:26pm On Apr 03
Meter by-passing or in plain language, energy theft has just started.

Disco go hear am.
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Moneyboyz: 10:26pm On Apr 03
In a country where minimum wage is 18k and 30k respectively.

4 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by oluadeez: 10:26pm On Apr 03
We suppose use other Africa countries that av a stable electricity, how much is there tariff? Is it more than there country minimum wage? Because using USD to compare naira is not fair

3 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Osanoghodua1: 10:27pm On Apr 03
Tinubu is a wicked man, I am getting Solar system.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Fainted On The Floor After Eight-Day Siege / Details Of The N75bn Fund Approved For Nigerian Youths Between 18 & 35 Years / IPOB Member Voting For Catalonia Referendum In Spain Pictured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.