Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,591 members, 7,816,455 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:29 AM

Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? (51325 Views)

Nigerians Mock James Momoh Over 'Dream About 24-Hour Electricity In Nigeria' / Nigerians To Get 18-Hour Electricity Supply Soon – Sale Mamman, Power Minister / Maiduguri Residents Protest Against YEDC For Supplying Them 24-hour Electricity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by TheOldGods: 10:28pm On Apr 03
ugwum007:

Someone earning 50k per month does not have any business with a power load of 2000w
oh, so he or she can't buy ac and enjoy in their home In these hot weather right?
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by FirmTR(m): 10:28pm On Apr 03
aieromon:

A lot of small scale businesses spend up to ₦178,000 monthly running petrol generators.

Power is not cheap!

How about residential homes

2 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by tuzle(m): 10:29pm On Apr 03
worldclass68:
I'll rather install better inverter/solar that can power. TVs, fans and refrigerator....
Friend of mine have it installed in 2022 for about 500k. Its about +700k now...but worth it...
it should be more thou, maybe around 2m or more. Solar self isn't cheap again but it is far better than our current electrical situation. I am currently in ekiti state, ikole precisely and most of them here use solar because they hardly give them light. U will see people using solar to power everything from fridge to even pumping machine, but it isn't cheap as only the rich can afford it sha.

4 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Homiesjinxbank: 10:30pm On Apr 03
Oga slimfit, kindly remind me the name of our president!!

slimfit1:
Some people have destroyed this country for personal gain and their children won't benefit from it. Generating electricity for the whole country will create thousands of jobs. An ordinary monkey can figure that out. Sambo is one of the saboteur of electric generation. Jonathan lost me when he allowed his power minister to resign because Sambo told him to sack him.Sambo had and interest somewhere that we didn't know as usual. Whatever is working I will let somethings slide until I get my result then take action. Jonathan wanted to please Sambo.

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Manager001: 10:30pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:
The Tinubu government has just increased electricity cost for band A customers to N225 per KPH.

For context, customers in the US pay about the same cost per KPH (or cheaper) depending on the state you live in.

Energy analysts are explaining that Nigerians are willing to pay more if they have access to electricity.

Based on data from NerdWallet, the average monthly electricity cost in the US is about $137 which is about N178,000.

Are you willing to pay N178,000 monthly for electricity for a 24-hour supply?
They are paying 137usd in America, why can't we pay N137 in Nigeria?
Ole

4 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Killermamba: 10:30pm On Apr 03
aieromon:

Let's look at the facts on ground.

House 1
Power load = 2000W
Average of 20hrs/day gives 600 hours in a 30 day calendar month.
Power consumption = 2kW * 600h = 1200kWh
Cost of power consumed = ₦225 * 1200 = ₦270,000

House 2
Power load = 2000W
Power is generated using a 2.5 kVA petrol generator. Running wattage is 2000W.
Fuel efficiency = 1.1litres/hour (15 litres in 14 hours at 50% load - generator will consume more if we increase the load but let us stick with this for the purpose of this comparison)
For House 2 to generate 600hrs in a month requires 660L of PMS.
At ₦560/litre, House 2 will spend a sum of ₦369,600 in an attempt to replicate power supply from DISCOs. Maintenance cost has not been factored in these calculations.

A lot of small scale businesses spend up to ₦178,000 monthly running petrol generators.

Power is not cheap!

solar is cheap
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by IbnB: 10:31pm On Apr 03
Nigeria's core problem is that the place consists almost entirely of greedy, evil individuals...from the political class (moral degenerates to the last man) to the suffering citizens on the streets...they are mostly evil beings whose entire consciousness is ruled by selfishness and greed

4 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by socialmediaman: 10:31pm On Apr 03
oluadeez:
We suppose use other Africa countries that av a stable electricity, how much is there tariff? Is it more than their country minimum wage? Because using USD to compare naira is not fair

But Nigerian legislators are some of the highest paid in the world.

Foreign trips abroad and expenses of government officials compare to their US counterparts.

Why can’t we compare the income of Nigerians if they have to pay electricity bills as much as their US counterparts?

The way it stands, government officials can afford the cost because they spend like their US counterparts

2 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by mcdokwe(m): 10:31pm On Apr 03
When it comes to unleashing hardship, our government are quick to compare rates with US and UK, ngwanu pay living wages like it is obtainable over there, government go speak grammar

3 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by dreamworld: 10:32pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:
The Tinubu government has just increased electricity cost for band A customers to N225 per KPH.

For context, customers in the US pay about the same cost per KPH (or cheaper) depending on the state you live in.

Energy analysts are explaining that Nigerians are willing to pay more if they have access to electricity.

Based on data from NerdWallet, the average monthly electricity cost in the US is about $137 which is about N178,000.

How much is tbeir average monthly income,
You dont have sense

3 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Tonytonex(m): 10:32pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:

let's say now that the Naira appreciated to 1 Naira to a dollar, it will be 137 Naira monthly? Stupid foolish liers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Okpokpo09: 10:32pm On Apr 03
slimfit1:
Some people have destroyed this country for personal gain and their children won't benefit from it. Generating electricity for the whole country will create thousands of jobs. An ordinary monkey can figure that out. Sambo is one of the saboteur of electric generation. Jonathan lost me when he allowed his power minister to resign because Sambo told him to sack him.Sambo had and interest somewhere that we didn't know as usual. Whatever is working I will let somethings slide until I get my result then take action. Jonathan wanted to please Sambo.
Where do you even get this your fake information?

2 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by chigo32: 10:33pm On Apr 03
No be juju be dat, mad people justifying bad thing
pinkguy:
Sick people everywhere, the country minimum wage is 30k and you want the citizens to pay 170k for just power supply every month

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by edungene7: 10:33pm On Apr 03
Thiefunubu is an unrepentant rogue make him dey play

3 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by michlins(m): 10:33pm On Apr 03
justmi1:
Yes I am, I spend 180k daily on diesel to run my factory. People complaining like there won't be metres. Average person don't consume much power as they have fewer appliances. An average man needs power for empowerment not leisure.
your factory will be using more than average home will consume. I use 10k diesel daily sha but it is not enough reason to pay exorbitant light bill

2 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by na2016: 10:34pm On Apr 03
mrvitalis:

What' does the poor need steady electricity for

Electricity is not a right

Access to electricity is and u already have that

Some of you talk like wild animal.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by YemyTemmy: 10:36pm On Apr 03
aieromon:

Let's look at the facts on ground.

House 1
Power load = 2000W
Average of 20hrs/day gives 600 hours in a 30 day calendar month.
Power consumption = 2kW * 600h = 1200kWh
Cost of power consumed = ₦225 * 1200 = ₦270,000

House 2
Power load = 2000W
Power is generated using a 2.5 kVA petrol generator. Running wattage is 2000W.
Fuel efficiency = 1.1litres/hour (15 litres in 14 hours at 50% load - generator will consume more if we increase the load but let us stick with this for the purpose of this comparison)
For House 2 to generate 600hrs in a month requires 660L of PMS.
At ₦560/litre, House 2 will spend a sum of ₦369,600 in an attempt to replicate power supply from DISCOs. Maintenance cost has not been factored in these calculations.

Power is not cheap!

Why not complete the calculation with solar inverter as the third option.... Lets see if its profitable staying off-grid

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by jmoore(m): 10:36pm On Apr 03
hazureal:
From what I heard, the increment is only applicable to those on Band A.

Band A customers are those customers who receive power for a minimum of 20hrs per day.

Band A: 20 to 24 Hours supply

Band B: 16 to 20 Hours supply

Band C: 12 to 16 Hours supply

Band D: 8 to 12 Hours supply

Band E: 4 to 8 Hours supply

(not that I'm in support of the increment though, this is just to shed more light on the issue)
All those band stuff na scam.

3 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by CaptainJune: 10:38pm On Apr 03
tollyboy5:

I think we're all ready to pay. In this age of low energy appliances why would a house be using up to 2kva they can't pay for?

It's not about wasting what you can't pay for, it's about getting responsible for what you use daily.
They're Led bulbs as low as 15watt that could be use in every building. Some people have this habit of putting light on everywhere in the house like they're everywhere Everytime.

The tariff should be charged and prepaid meter distributed so people will be well disciplined.

Modified
Just seeing the minimum wages lol. Tinubu wan to kill us o! Different minimum wages but same NEPA bill lol

Are we talking about hiking electricity tariffs to enforce responsible use or its attendant problem of affordability?

2 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by CyberWolf: 10:39pm On Apr 03
slimfit1:
Una go just dey talk anyhow. Were you there when Sambo told GEJ to sack Barth Nnaji? Barth Nnaji owns Geometric which was one of the bidders in the power privatisation process then and he was also the minister of power then. So to avoid conflict of interest, he quietly resigned to focus on his company.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by drololaaof: 10:41pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:

It will not be well with those comparing Nigeria with USA, UK or EU. the conditions in these countries are incomparable with Nigeria. The insatiable of this tariff increase will crush when they cannot supply energy to satisfy their customers . How do you want somebody whose income is less than #50000 a month to afford this increase . We are already adapting to darkness occasioned failure of electricity companies.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by geokay777(m): 10:41pm On Apr 03
grin grin grin
heniford2:
If that happens massive bypass will hit them
If you know, you know grin
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by rapheal5(m): 10:42pm On Apr 03
justmi1:
Yes I am, I spend 180k daily on diesel to run my factory. People complaining like there won't be metres. Average person don't consume much power as they have fewer appliances. An average man needs power for empowerment not leisure.
This was how we got here...
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by babajero(m): 10:43pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:

sometimes You people just ask stupid questions which leaves me wondering if many of you reason from your anus.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by socialmediaman: 10:47pm On Apr 03
hazureal:
From what I heard, the increment is only applicable to those on Band A.

Band A customers are those customers who receive power for a minimum of 20hrs per day.

Band A: 20 to 24 Hours supply

Band B: 16 to 20 Hours supply

Band C: 12 to 16 Hours supply

Band D: 8 to 12 Hours supply

Band E: 4 to 8 Hours supply

(not that I'm in support of the increment though, this is just to shed more light on the issue)

Many people in state capitals and sub-urban locations in major cities (e.g. Lagos, Rivers, FCT etc) are in band A.

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by motymop: 10:47pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:
More context and data (using N1,300 = $1 conversion rate):

Electricity cost per KWH for band A in Nigeria = 17 cents. The minimum wage in Nigeria is N30,000 monthly.

Electricity cost per KWH in North Dakota (US) = 10 cents. Minimum wage in North Dakota is $7.25 per hour (N1.3 million naira monthly).

Electricity cost per KWH in Texas (US) = 15 cents. Minimum wage in Texas is $7.25 per hour (N1.3 million naira monthly).

Note: Many Nigerians living in major cities (rich or poor) in Nigeria fall within the band A category, including residents and businesses.

You are wrong.

Band A category are for customers with 20 hours of light.

Most Nigerians fall under band b and E

So you are wrong .

Band A are some residential and industrial areas.

Many Nigerians use prepaid meter, so they consume what they can afford

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by CaptainJune: 10:48pm On Apr 03
lexy2014:

you are only corroborating what he said.

people can afford to buy a litre of bottled water for $1 (N1300) because their minimum wage is $1200 a month the equivalent of N1.2m.

why then should government decide that Nigerians should pay for electricity at the same rate Americans pay for electricity when you have agreed that Nigerians cant purchase items in Nigeria at the price that Americans purchase those same items?

how can aa Nigerian purchase electricity in Nigeria with 30k a month at the rate americans purchase electricity?

Just ignore people who know that using their power of thinking will negatively affect their blind support for an insensitive leader. That is why they attack people that are using their freely given power of thought.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by Dialpad: 10:48pm On Apr 03
Look your mom in the face and call her an idi-ot

Lomprico2:

Your papa
Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by motymop: 10:48pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:

Many people in state capitals and sub-urban locations in major cities (e.g. Lagos, Rivers, FCT etc) are in band A.

That is not true

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by socialmediaman: 10:49pm On Apr 03
motymop:

You are wrong.

Band A category are for customers with 20 hours of light.

Most Nigerians fall under band b and c

So you are wrong .

Band A are some residential and industrial areas.

Many Nigerians use prepaid meter, so they consume what they can afford

Many Nigerians who live in suburban locations of some major cities (like FCT), or in state capitals, are in band A

1 Like

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by FreeStuffsNG: 10:49pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:

Stop exaggerating, this is the rate and even those with 24 hour electricity will not pay as much as this for most of the Discos

Re: Are You Willing To Pay N178,000 Monthly For A 24-hour Electricity Supply? by fabolouz1(m): 10:49pm On Apr 03
If the domestic currency is in good shape ,it's less than than by almost a quarter .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Senator Adeleke Dances At PDP Governorship Rally In Osun, Davido Reacts / Photo Of Ike Ekweremadu And Adams Oshiomhole (Throwback?) / Uche Secondus Thanks God At Altar After Taking Over As PDP Chairman In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.