Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,133 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man (44074 Views)

COVID-19: 184 New Cases Reported, 6 Deaths And 111 Discharged On May 13 / 14 New Cases Of Coronavirus In Nigeria, Totalling 111 Confirmed Cases / No More Excuses: See The 111 Year Old Man Who Hits The Gym Every day (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Icceyfrosh12(m): 8:17pm On Apr 06
"It's pure luck": Inside the life of world's oldest man as he takes title aged 111

111-year-old John Alfred Tinniswood from England is now the world’s oldest living man, following the death of 114-year-old Juan Vicente Pérez (Venezuela).

112-year-old Gisaburo Sonobe from Japan was initially expected to be the new record holder, but he was recently confirmed to have passed away on 31 March.

Born in Liverpool on 26 August 1912 – the same year the Titanic sank – John’s exact age is 111 years 223 days as of 5 April 2024.

John is a great-grandfather and currently resides at a care home in Southport, where staff describe him as “a big chatterbox”.

After confirming him to be the oldest man alive, Guinness World Records Official Adjudicator Megan Bruce travelled to Southport to present John with his certificate and learn more about his long life.

Despite his advanced age, John can still perform most daily tasks independently: he gets out of bed unassisted, listens to the radio to keep up with the news, and still manages his own finances.

According to John, the secret to his longevity is “pure luck”.

He said: “You either live long or you live short, and you can’t do much about it.”

Beyond eating a portion of battered fish and chips every Friday, John says he doesn’t follow any particular diet: “I eat what they give me and so does everybody else. I don’t have a special diet.”

John doesn’t smoke and rarely drinks alcohol. His main advice for staying healthy is to practice moderation: “If you drink too much or you eat too much or you walk too much; if you do too much of anything, you’re going to suffer eventually,” he said.

A lifelong Liverpool FC fan, John was born just 20 years after the club was founded in 1892. He has lived through all eight of his club’s FA Cup wins and 17 of their 19 league title wins.

John has also lived through both World Wars; he was 27 when the second one broke out, and despite having eyesight issues, he found purpose by working in an administrative role for the Army Pay Corps. In addition to accounts and auditing, his work involved logistical tasks such as locating stranded soldiers and organizing food supplies. As such, John is the world's oldest surviving male World War II veteran.

After the war, John worked in accounts for Shell and BP up until his retirement in 1972.

When asked how the world around him has changed throughout his life, John replied: “The world, in its way, is always changing. It’s a sort of ongoing experience. […] It’s getting a little better but not all that much yet. It’s going the right way.”

John met his wife, Blodwen, at a dance in Liverpool. One of his fondest memories is of their wedding in 1942, a year before having their daughter, Susan. The couple enjoyed 44 years together before Blodwen passed away in 1986.

John now has four grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

Since turning 100 in 2012, John received a birthday card each year from the late Queen Elizabeth, who was John’s junior by almost 14 years.

Having become the UK’s oldest man in 2020, John is unfazed by his new-found status as the oldest in the entire world. “Doesn’t make any difference to me,” he said. “Not at all. I accept it for what it is.”

His advice for younger generations is: “Always do the best you can, whether you’re learning something or whether you’re teaching someone.

“Give it all you’ve got. Otherwise it’s not worth bothering with.”

The oldest man ever was Jiroemon Kimura (1897–2013) from Japan, who lived to the age of 116 years 54 days.

The world’s oldest living woman and oldest living person overall is Spain’s Maria Branyas Morera, who recently celebrated her 117th birthday.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2024/4/its-pure-luck-inside-the-life-of-worlds-oldest-man-as-he-takes-title-aged-11-768255

28 Likes 6 Shares

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Malroux: 8:21pm On Apr 06
I'll win it at my old age.

77 Likes 10 Shares

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by KillIgbohoN0W: 8:29pm On Apr 06
Rubbish.
Living without a working preeq is akin to death.

115 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Depriest2020: 8:37pm On Apr 06
111yrs oldest man alive? I doubt that, Guinness world record (GWR) never go south Western Nigeria, older people are there.

224 Likes 14 Shares

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Igb0sCriminals: 8:46pm On Apr 06
Hehehe

Àìrìnjìnà la ò rí abuké òkéré

My great grandfather is 139 although a bit fragile now

My grandfather is 106 and still agile

132 Likes 5 Shares

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by predictor1: 8:52pm On Apr 06
KillIgbohoN0W:
Rubbish.
grin
You have a point.

But then living long to see his descendants is also a blessing.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by KillIgbohoN0W: 9:00pm On Apr 06
Igb0sCriminals:
Hehehe

Àìrìnjìnà la ò rí abuké òkéré

My great grandfather is 139

My grandfather is 106

Which puts you around 50 years old yet you spend your days constituting a nuisance on Nairaland for free.

404 Likes 26 Shares

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Ebukamatth(m): 9:44pm On Apr 06

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Junesday(f): 9:44pm On Apr 06
May we live long for our children

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Risingblue008(m): 9:45pm On Apr 06
Make dem come my village

Dem go see men of 125 and above dey smoke pipe with all pleasure
WGR na politics too
Come my villa make dem hail

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by opera1(m): 9:45pm On Apr 06
120 y year old dey Ekpoma - Edo state and Idanre - Ondo State.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Sirmwill: 9:45pm On Apr 06

They should check Tinubu first

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by callmevirus(m): 9:46pm On Apr 06
Nothing concern me but E dey mind

Methuselah

1 Like

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by God1000(m): 9:46pm On Apr 06
He can't be the oldest living man on earth, we have men that are older than him in my village

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by ecolime(m): 9:47pm On Apr 06
KillIgbohoN0W:
Rubbish.
Small pikin still dey do you.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Easybet1(m): 9:47pm On Apr 06
Dey play, my grand pa is about 122 years today

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Fowoshes: 9:47pm On Apr 06
Long life with good health na gift from God

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by thatsleepboy1: 9:47pm On Apr 06
Pure rubbish. Let them come to Oye Ekiti here and see pple older than 111. The oldest person in oye here is older than 111.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Hezmatosky: 9:48pm On Apr 06
Depriest2020:
111yrs oldest man alive? I doubt that, Guinness world record (GWR) never go south Western Nigeria, older people are there.
Check well well na hunger and poverty make them look old, them be never really old like that kiss

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Sonnobax15(m): 9:48pm On Apr 06
undecided
With this particular record,I now believe theà GWR is a joke...

Make dem come Naija come see people wey senior that person by far.

1 Like

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by wittywriter: 9:49pm On Apr 06
[Oldest based on commercial documentation

thatsleepboy1:

Pure rubbish. Let them come to Oye Ekiti here and see pple older than 111. The oldest person in oye here is older than 111.
Easybet1:
Dey play, my grand pa is about 122 years today

Wittyness

1 Like

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by broadman20: 9:50pm On Apr 06
Tinubu is begging them to put his name as the first Drug Criminal to successfully govern a country and still inflate so much pains on his useless supporters as their PRESIDENT.

Anyway he deserves it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Helpfromabove1(m): 9:50pm On Apr 06
My older than that for Naija
Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Eraddray(m): 9:51pm On Apr 06
Lie
Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by JuanDeDios: 9:51pm On Apr 06
Nigerian reading this: "But there's a 133 year old man in my village and my grandmother is 137 years."

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Kennitrust(m): 9:51pm On Apr 06
They have not seen my grandma that is begging God to take her away at 126.

This guys should do their findings very well before claiming to know everything in the world.

8 Likes

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Nonexisting1: 9:52pm On Apr 06
KillIgbohoN0W:

Which puts you around 50 years old yet you spend your days constituting a nuisance on Nairaland for free.
I've known long time that the tribal bigots here are all old unfruitful men. No real successful man will spend and dedicate his life to tribal bigotry because success knows no tribe or religion. A successful man be anything but hateful and he goes off the line due to actions of others, he will apologize the moment he realizes it.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by oluseyiforjesus(m): 9:53pm On Apr 06
Hmmmm
Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by RPG2020(m): 9:54pm On Apr 06
Malroux:
I pray to be the next.

Who wan dey feed you because chichi you no get

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Tinniswood: Guinness World Records Names 111-Year-Old As Oldest Living Man by Caleb15(m): 9:54pm On Apr 06
Man's not Hot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Narrow Escape from Incurable Sti / Who Else Can't Sleep With The Lights On? / 8 Usual Habits That Are Dangerous For Your Brain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.