Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,841 members, 7,820,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

Refusal Strategies For Introverts And Shy People. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Refusal Strategies For Introverts And Shy People. (165 Views)

14 Valentine Present Ideas For Introverts / Why Hausa Girls In Sokoto Are So Conservative And Shy / Ladies Can You Cope With Less Confident And Shy Guys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Refusal Strategies For Introverts And Shy People. by Talk2Suzan(f): 10:21am On Apr 17
Saying no is always tough to someone you love(family or friends) when they ask for help. It's even harder if you're naturally introverted or shy. Here are some tips to help you think about your response, make a decision, and formulate it in a way that avoids misunderstandings or hurt people's feelings-

1) Stall for Time:
Don't rush your response; try to buy time to make a decision. Use phrases like:
"I need to think about it."
"Give me a minute to make a decision."
"As soon as I formulate my answer, I'll let you know."
"I'll give you an answer by... (mention a time)."

2) Diplomatically Say "No":
After weighing the pros and cons, if you've concluded that the answer will be negative, you may struggle not to offend the other person with a flat-out refusal. For example, if a friend asks to borrow your car, and you're not comfortable lending it, but you're hesitant to say a firm "no," use one of the following formulations:
"I'd prefer not to have anyone else drive my car."
"I try not to lend out my car."
"It's important for me to know that I can use my car whenever I need to."
"Unfortunately, I won't be able to lend you my car."
"I feel uncomfortable knowing someone else is driving my car."
"I promised myself I wouldn't lend out my car to anyone."
With such statements, it's difficult to argue. If the person keeps appealing to pity, conscience, or a sense of fairness, persistently repeat your refusals. Eventually, the other person will understand.

3) Wrap the Negative Answer in Positivity:
Another way to refuse is through sandwich monologues. You start with a positive statement, then delicately but firmly say "no," and conclude with another positive statement:
"I understand you need a car this weekend. Unfortunately, I can't lend you mine. I hope you find a solution."

Remember, it's okay to set boundaries and prioritize your own comfort and well-being.
Talk2Suzan today for that unashamed conversation, prioritizing your mental health always.
#T2S_Cares
#Teletherapy
#PsychologyXMotivation
Re: Refusal Strategies For Introverts And Shy People. by HopeAlive16(f): 12:26pm On Apr 17
It's No.2 for me. The importance of diplomatically saying No cannot be overemphasized. No is not a bad response, just be diplomatic about it so no one's feeling gets hurt in the process.
T2S! kissmissed you girl❤️. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

World Food Show / my studio / It Is Not Only Lovers That Celebrate Valentine's Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.