Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,099 members, 7,842,160 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

Family Tithing In The Diaspora - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Family Tithing In The Diaspora (14053 Views)

Prophet Ufuoma Bernard: "No More Tithing In My Church, Daddy Freeze Is Right" / Daddy Freeze Replies Pastor Adeboye’s Response To His Teachings On Tithing / Church Members Walk Out On Pastor Adefarasin Over Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Adaiobanyi1: 9:56am On May 12
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by femi4: 9:57am On May 12
Roger3D:
In my opinion your wife is a million times smarter than you by telling you that paying tithes is your personal problem. How can any rational thinking human being willingly hand over 10% of their income to a self appointed religious leader? That's just outright stupidity
Honestly, I don't understand the kind of men and Christians we raised nowadays

1 Like

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Elsueno: 9:57am On May 12
To be honest, I fully agree with your wife on tithe issue, I myself have even forgotten the last time I paid that thing. I just help those really in need when I myself made plenty enough. I just don't trust any pastor that ask for 10% of my hard earned money, God doesn't need money. pastor is just lazy & looking for people to take care of him/her instead of getting a job like everybody else.

And I am even more sure of not tithing self, especially seeing Jew worshippers like Righteousness2 advocating for it

The only thing I disagree with ur wife is the 50-50 on her OWN family issues. This should be by UR OWN CHOICE & nobody should force u to do or contribute any percentage!

4 Likes

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by naijapips02: 9:57am On May 12
Listen to your wife. She seems to be the sensible one.

6 Likes

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by rexbuton: 9:57am On May 12
GoodBoi1:
Personally, I think tithing as done in today's church is optional. If you insist on paying tithe, since you are in the diaspora, can't your employer deduct tithe from your tax as charity donations and send it to your church?

We need to do a thread about this. Most people are not aware

2 Likes

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by nkpommpko(m): 9:57am On May 12
Roger3D:
In my opinion your wife is a million times smarter than you by telling you that paying tithes is your personal problem. How can any rational thinking human being willingly hand over 10% of their income to a self appointed religious leader? That's just outright stupidity
very stupid. Ask him how he has impacted in developing where he came from etc

2 Likes

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by geoworldedu: 9:59am On May 12
What gives me joy is that she doesn't give tithe. She seems wiser than you in that aspect.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Matrix137(m): 10:00am On May 12
Hmmm
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by nkpommpko(m): 10:00am On May 12
What's keeping your wife with you is that your money, so never stop making it, if you do, you are fried kpomo. Make I tell you. Muwguw!

2 Likes

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Roger3D(m): 10:02am On May 12
optm:
Do you think the work of God's kingdom on earth needs money?
I know your pastor needs money for a new SUV grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Powersurge: 10:02am On May 12
rexbuton:
Please this topic wants to tear the family apart.

We are doing well, each of us earns almost 85k per year, I'm in IT, she's in healthcare, and we both work full-time.
I am a Christian, I have never defaulted in tithing in the last 5 years. Not once.
She says tithing is my personal 'problem'. She uses the word problem specifically. She doesn't pay tithe.

This is the present sharing agreement, I bring 70%, she brings 30%.
This 70-30 covers the cost of living, groceries, nursery fees for our baby, and other bills.
before this sharing, we both bring equal amounts for the house mortgage and the car.
When her family needs money, she insists that we share it 50-50 based on her culture.

For my cybersecurity certifications, I pay from my less than 20%, but I have never complained. God has been faithful. My belief is that my tithe covers for the family.
The good news is that I won a large sum of money from my savings, tens of thousands of dollars. I intend to pay tithe, and channel most of the money to my professional development so I can earn more. I don't think I deserve that money I won, that money was from God.
She thinks otherwise.

What's your opinion?

Pay your tithe and leave who's nit paying.

God knows how to convince men to do his work.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by wellmax(m): 10:07am On May 12
If your 90% is not enough, I bet you the 100% will not be sufficient.

1 Like

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by chatinent: 10:09am On May 12
Turns out your wife is the most sensible partner.

Keep feeding another family man all in the name of tithe.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by BeigJawnson(m): 10:10am On May 12
rexbuton:

She is saying that tithe is supposed to be a personal matter between God and I. So I asked a question that what if I have a 5% voluntary contribution to an overseas fund, and i kept it private, and one day she stumbled on my account statement and found out that I now have 30k in overseas contributions. Would she be happy I didn’t tell her, and she said of course, I would need to let her know.
This answer got me confused, because if tithe should be a private matter, why should my voluntary contributions from my 20% not be a private matter!?

My brother, as for me, it is not a must you tell her... Well you know her well more than we giving opinions to you... You are the man, the bridegroom, husband and not she that will be dictating to you concerning your personal savings... And again, women can be very funny when they know their husbands have savings kept somewhere, it is that very time they know the amount, they will keep bringing unnecessary expenses, just to finish that money and if you don't yield, they bring up fight.

Note: not all women but some of them
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by chatinent: 10:12am On May 12
This person reasons like you Mr OP: sheer unwiseness.

profmallor:
Your wife shares her family responsibilities 50-50, but would insist you pay your tithes AlONE, but would alsO shAre your savings> Oga you Are in a wrong relATIonshiP. Waling with God is a personal relationship and you are convinved enough in the grace of God to have been faithful enough to pay tithes for 5 years, God would surely reward you. However, that partner is going to be a clog in your wheel. The Bible asks, can two walk together except they agree, if they do, one is deceiving the other. You seem to be the one olding the short end of the stick.

But didnt you establish this before commitment to marriage?

1 Like

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by ttmax09(m): 10:13am On May 12
optm:
let him be. Jesus Christ didn't condemn giving of tithe either ( ‭Luke 11:42 NKJV‬
[42] “But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.

https://bible.com/bible/114/luk.11.42.NKJV .). If he isn't being blessed in his giving to the church, he can stop but there are people that would willingly give to the Church and promote God's agenda here on earth and God's work will never lack. Some of us have seen and experienced first hand what God is doing through his genuine ministers that some of you criticize. Not all pastors or churches are fake. if you know the fake ones and you have evidence you can go call them out but trying to paint all churches as bad or fraud is pure evil
God bless you, I can see you have a good knowledge of the word.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by chatinent: 10:14am On May 12
Who does your pastor pay his tithe to?

You carry money dey give another fellow human being all in the name of giving it to God.

Dem dey use Naira or dollars for heaven baa?

Before you get sense, na court fit settle you and your pastor.

1 Like

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by ttmax09(m): 10:18am On May 12
Kobojunkie:
1. Um... Jesus Christ did not come to condemned anyone for obeying the Old Law. After all, He too lived His life in submission to the same Old Law which is His Father's Will. He instead condemned those who pretended by word only to obey but lived in outright disobedience of it. Hence the reason why He condemned the religious leaders of His time including their doctrines and traditions. undecided

That said, Jesus Christ called His followers to following a different Law which He came to bring to them, and Tithing was not included as a part of the New Law. So, anyone who claims to be of Jesus Christ but pretends to hold onto the old rejects Jesus Christ. undecided

Handing money to your gods of men while pretending you do so on behalf of God or Jesus Christ does not cause God to change His mind or Law to accommodate your particular foolishness. Remember God hates the foolish and has nothing to do with them. Even Jesus Christ said the blind will fall into the same ditch their blind leaders will fall into. There is no part in Jesus Christ for such foolishness. undecided
You are so wrong, I understand that tithing is not compulsory and cannot take from me or give me salvation, but if I'm been blessed in my local church and I know my pastor is into the ministry full time, why shouldn't I pay my tithe? After all giving is an integral part of our faith.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by BeigJawnson(m): 10:19am On May 12
rexbuton:

What do you think about dating a partner with different views concerning tithing and giving? Is it enough grounds to discontinue the relationship?

Women don't like seeing their husbands to give outsider money, majority of them always like to see the husbands spending for their parents and siblings but never care if the man is taking care of his own parents...

When giving your tithes, don't sound it trumpetically to her anymore. Don't talk about it again with her.

And when you give to other people in need, tell them not to sound the trumpets to anybody and you yourself don't let her know anything...

Let me give you and example, there is this brother, he bought 5litres of palmoil, which he wanted to give his mother on a visit, him and the rest of his family( his wife and the two kids) ... Unluckily for him, he could not make it, he was called up from work with an urgency. So he told his wife and kids to go, probably he will join them there. He told his wife to give his mom the palm oil. Do you know that, his wife took half of the oil in the 5litres gallon before she delivered it. She wasn't happy for her husband to give his mom the full gallon of palm oil. It was the first son, a boy of 15 years that challenged her on what she did, she shouted at him not to put mouth in anything that doesn't concerns him.

The man got to know, since then when he wants to give strangers anything, including his parents and siblings. He doesn't tell his wife.

2 Likes

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by emmabest2000(m): 10:20am On May 12
paxonel:
You are simply a stupid Christian, mumu! grin

Whaat? for 5 years of brain washing?
Mehnnnn! grin grin grin grin

Sorry, don't be annoyed that I'm using those terms to describe you. It is simply what it is

One man's food is another man's poison

Insults is not necessarily

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Geovanni412(m): 10:23am On May 12
paxonel:

Sorry, don't be annoyed that I'm using those terms to describe you. It is simply what it is

Probably a fake acct made for views

Who comes online to discuss how much they make and ask about tithing?

4 Likes

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by OMEGA009(m): 10:27am On May 12
rexbuton:

Not gambling. A bank reward for people with deposits, like a lottery system

Marriage is supposed to be a union in everything including finances but if you have a “my money, your money” arrangement and it works, I think you should do what works for you with YOUR MONEY but remember to do all these with your interest and not your seed money. My humble opinion.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Idaytesj29(m): 10:29am On May 12
advanceDNA:
U already contribute more than her......when her family needs money, she still drags money from ur pocket..
Ur wife is a bit insensitive..... .she shouldn't harass u any further on how u choose to spend ur money developing urself...

Guy...try to dey send some of ur money to a nigeria domiciliary account, like this money u won......look out for urself man.....there is no crime in that...

Its nauseating when a woman thinks she entitled over everything I have just because we fvcking each other.... Spits..!!!!

And they can't sacrifice a pin for you if you are in their shoes or needs them for survival.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Olichoke: 10:31am On May 12
rexbuton:

What do you think about dating a partner with different views concerning tithing and giving? Is it enough grounds to discontinue the relationship?

Yes
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Idaytesj29(m): 10:35am On May 12
BeigJawnson:

Women don't like seeing their husbands to give outsider money, majority of them always like to see the husbands spending for their parents and siblings but never care if the man is taking care of his own parents...

When giving your tithes, don't sound it trumpetically to her anymore. Don't talk about it again with her.

And when you give to other people in need, tell them not to sound the trumpets to anybody and you yourself don't let her know anything...

Let me give you and example, there is this brother, he bought 5litres of palmoil, which he wanted to give his mother on a visit, him and the rest of his family( his wife and the two kids) ... Unluckily for him, he could not make it, he was called up from work with an urgency. So he told his wife and kids to go, probably he will join them there. He told his wife to give his mom the palm oil. Do you know that, his wife took half of the oil in the 5litres gallon before she delivered it. She wasn't happy for her husband to give his mom the full gallon of palm oil. It was the first son, a boy of 15 years that challenged her on what she did, she shouted at him not to put mouth in anything that doesn't concerns him.

The man got to know, since then when he wants to give strangers anything, including his parents and siblings. He doesn't tell his wife.

That's the best method. Most women are like that greedy, selfish or better put wicked. And she will still not take care of the man with all his money she is chopping if the mall is in dire need of it.

1 Like

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Pimine: 10:36am On May 12
optm:
oh you mean when there was a king over Isreal, the king was being paid from the treasury of the temple? I would like you to give me a bible reference. Also i'ld like you to give your view as regards the scripture i shared earlier citing the words of Jesus as regards the tithe they paid.
Tithing can never be antiChrist. It's is the antiChrist that fights against tithing since it's a means of financing the work of the Kingdom of God here on earth
Brother, are you new here? Stop replying to that moniker. Stop it!

That individual has been proven to be anti-Christ, anti-Church, anti-marriage, and anti-family the way God intended and instituted it. This argument is unprofitable to you and also derails the purpose of this thread.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by santaclaws: 10:38am On May 12
rexbuton:
Please this topic wants to tear the family apart.

"She says tithing is my own problem"

When her family needs money, she insists that we share it 50-50 based on her culture.

What's your opinion?

You're a solid guy and may God keep strengthening you. Your wife on the other hand needs to learn more about God and generosity. How did you marry someone with such a different mentality?

The only aspect I found weird is you contributing 50-50 for HER own family's needs... As in, that should be optional for you as it is not your responsibility. What culture or tribe is your wife from?

All the same, God bless your home.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by DebateNigeria: 10:38am On May 12
rexbuton:

She is saying that tithe is supposed to be a personal matter between God and I. So I asked a question that what if I have a 5% voluntary contribution to an overseas fund, and i kept it private, and one day she stumbled on my account statement and found out that I now have 30k in overseas contributions. Would she be happy I didn’t tell her, and she said of course, I would need to let her know.
This answer got me confused, because if tithe should be a private matter, why should my voluntary contributions from my 20% not be a private matter!?

Yes I agree with her. Tithe is a personal matter.

I do rather get heavily involved in charity work, something feasible to help the poor than pay tithe to a mere man. There are lots of children suffering in Nigeria, many are out of school. Set up a charity and help people physically, God will be happy with you and will bless you more.

I'm not sure if the top 20 richest men in the world pays tithe. Things that will make you successful include hard work, and perhaps a bit of luck and chance.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by 36STATES: 10:39am On May 12
How did you win large amount of dollars from your own savings?
Any other income from savings apart from the low interest in Europe and US?

Tells by moonlight.

1 Like

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by jahsharon: 10:42am On May 12
paxonel:

Don't spoil other people's businesses nah. If Maga no dey, how Guy man go chop. He thinks God needs money to pay for HIS children's school fees, I mean God's children who are going to private school in Heaven, so this Maga gives God money to pay HIS children's school fees

1 Like

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by DebateNigeria: 10:45am On May 12
optm:
If you call it a taxation system then it should be payed to the king and not to the temple or priest as seen in the bible

But he is already paying tax which is likely to be more than 10%. I support paying offering, but tithe is pure scam. Has any pastor come out openly to explain how they spend the tithes or how they send it to God?

People pay tithe and they are successful, many more people don't pay tithe and they are still successful.

Religion has really brainwashed a lot of people. They go abroad and still carry their brainwashed mentality there.

Nigerian pastors abroad are balling on people's money. They have the beat houses and cars. However, their "oyinbo" counterparts live a modest life and survive off salary.

3 Likes

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by DebateNigeria: 10:49am On May 12
Kobojunkie:
LOL.... you were on about Tithing and I showed you where the Law on tithing is defined — for the nation of Israel in the Land of Canaan alone — and how it has nothing to do with the Law of the Kingdom of God, now we are on to the Kingdom of God. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The Kingdom of God does not need your money at all. Jesus Christ, the King in the Kingdom of God, pretty much hinted at this when He informed you that you would have to sell everything you have and own and give it all away to the poor if you wish to become worthy of Him. 😁

Gbam

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Amazing Scientific Proof That Hell Exists. / Is It Wrong To Confront A Pastor Politely / Why It's Important To Pray Without Ceasing Even When It Seems Hard To Pray

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.