Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,107 members, 7,842,203 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Family Tithing In The Diaspora - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Family Tithing In The Diaspora (14054 Views)

Prophet Ufuoma Bernard: "No More Tithing In My Church, Daddy Freeze Is Right" / Daddy Freeze Replies Pastor Adeboye’s Response To His Teachings On Tithing / Church Members Walk Out On Pastor Adefarasin Over Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Lomprico2: 5:57pm On May 12
rexbuton:
Please this topic wants to tear the family apart.

We are doing well, each of us earns almost 85k per year, I'm in IT, she's in healthcare, and we both work full-time.
I am a Christian, I have never defaulted in tithing in the last 5 years. Not once.
She says tithing is my personal 'problem'. She uses the word problem specifically. She doesn't pay tithe.

This is the present sharing agreement, I bring 70%, she brings 30%.
This 70-30 covers the cost of living, groceries, nursery fees for our baby, and other bills.
before this sharing, we both bring equal amounts for the house mortgage and the car.
When her family needs money, she insists that we share it 50-50 based on her culture.

For my cybersecurity certifications, I pay from my less than 20%, but I have never complained. God has been faithful. My belief is that my tithe covers for the family.
The good news is that I won a large sum of money from my savings, tens of thousands of dollars. I intend to pay tithe, and channel most of the money to my professional development so I can earn more. I don't think I deserve that money I won, that money was from God.
She thinks otherwise.

What's your opinion?

God is not a money doubler. You earn what you earn cos you put in the work not because you dash one fraudster 10% of your money. God does not need your money !!!
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Almunjid(m): 6:00pm On May 12
Lol, u write full everywhere, yet u no even understand wetin u dey write. Where u learn ur own Christianity from?
Na contradictions wey dey ur comment make me dey qoute u. U said:
Kobojunkie:

...Again, this is what Jesus Christ, who Himself lived according to the Old Law of Moses, said to His followers whom He called to a different Kingdom and a different Law...
Kobojunkie:

...That said, Jesus Christ called His followers to follow a different Law which He came to bring to them, and Tithing was not included as a part of the New Law. So, anyone who claims to be of Jesus Christ but pretends to hold onto the old rejects Jesus Christ... undecided
Jesus Christ himself lived according to the old Law. He then called his followers to follow a different law. Does this make any sense to u?

You're wrong anyways. Matthew 5:17 says:
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 6:13pm On May 12
Kobojunkie:
You haven't read my signature, have you? Anyone Israelite who pretend still according to the customs of the Old Law only compounds the effects of God's curse on himself - Leviticus 26 & Deuteronomy 28 vs 15-57. God activated that curse across every one of the bloodlines of Jacob about 1900 years ago at the time of the end-time. Redemption from the curse can only be obtained in Jesus Christ who explained in His Parable of Wheat and Tares that the Harvest of the Kingdom of God began at that very same time— the end time. undecided
The Jews are pretending and have been cursed right? May I know in what way the curse is manifesting sir? cool
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Image123(m): 6:14pm On May 12
advanceDNA:

The problem is that he married an insensitive and unfair woman who doesn't see he's doing enough making her see the 10% he gives as tithe as something that should technically come to her......

It's crazy you know. People blow away 100% or usually a major percentage of their salary on frivolities everytime. But the same people bitterly castigate others for giving 10% of their own money, not your own money ohh.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by tundebasic(m): 6:27pm On May 12
Almunjid:
Lol, u write full everywhere, yet u no even understand wetin u dey write. Where u learn ur own Christianity from?
Na contradictions wey dey ur comment make me dey qoute u. U said:

You're wrong. Matthew 5:17 says:
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them.
The same bible said in Hebrews....

Heb.7.11 And finally, if the priesthood of Levi could have achieved God's purposes--and it was that priesthood on which the law was based--why did God need to send a different priest from the line of Melchizedek, instead of from the line of Levi and Aaron? (NLT)

Heb.7.18 Yes, the old requirement about the priesthood was set aside because it was weak and useless. (NLT)

Heb.7.19 the law brought nothing to maturity. Another way--Jesus!-a way that does work, that brings us right into the presence of God, is put in its place. (MSB)
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Almunjid(m): 6:51pm On May 12
tundebasic:

The same bible said in Hebrews....

Heb.7.11 And finally, if the priesthood of Levi could have achieved God's purposes--and it was that priesthood on which the law was based--why did God need to send a different priest from the line of Melchizedek, instead of from the line of Levi and Aaron? (NLT)

Heb.7.18 Yes, the old requirement about the priesthood was set aside because it was weak and useless. (NLT)

Heb.7.19 the law brought nothing to maturity. Another way--Jesus!-a way that does work, that brings us right into the presence of God, is put in its place. (MSB)

Are u trying to say that the Bible contradicts itself?
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Kobojunkie: 6:57pm On May 12
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:
■ The Jews are pretending and have been cursed right? May I know in what way the curse is manifesting sir? cool
Pretending? All Israelites across the world who are yet to accept Jesus Christ exist under the curses of the Old Law of God. The details of how the curse manifests can be found in Leviticus 26 and Deuteronomy 28. They remain God's chosen people, but living under the curse, they cannot be redeemed by any other but Jesus Christ. undecided
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Kobojunkie: 7:06pm On May 12
Almunjid:
■ Lol, u write full everywhere, yet u no even understand wetin u dey write. Where u learn ur own Christianity from?
■ Na contradictions wey dey ur comment make me dey qoute u. U said: Jesus Christ himself lived according to the old Law. He then called his followers to follow a different law. Does this make any sense to u? You're wrong anyways. Matthew 5:17 says: Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them.
I am not a Christian nor am I religious in any way so I don't even belong in the same Caliber as your kind. undecided

Second, if you don't understand the meaning of the term Contradiction, don't bother using it. As for Jesus Christ calling His followers to follow a different Law, the God of Israel Himself said He would make a new agreement/Covenant with the House of Jacob in Jeremiah 31 vs 31 - 34. Do you mean what He said does not make sense to you? undecided

2. Jesus Christ was an Israelite who was born under the jurisdiction of the Old Law of Moses in the Land of Canaan and as such was required to fulfill the Law the same as every other Israelite in the land was. That is simply what Jesus Christ tells you in that verse of what He came to do then. He couldn't abolish the law because God's Law, an eternal Covenant, cannot be abolished. undecided
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Kobojunkie: 7:06pm On May 12
Almunjid:
■ Are u trying to say that the Bible contradicts itself?
The Bible is not the problem here. You are instead the one trading contradictions. undecided
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by paxonel(m): 8:09pm On May 12
BeigJawnson:

Okay apart from being a Christian and much more morals are taught in Christianity .... By the way, you lack manners, you are here calling some group of people fools ... Are you not morally taught from your home?
The issue is, someone is deliberately using the faulty tithe doctrine to distort money from church members and that is the most classified immorality.
And when someone speaks against it you will say the person doesn't have manners.

I really don't know what you define as manners

Well, you that you haven't be giving tithe, how far about you? Can you brag about yourself a bit... So we giving tithes can stop giving...
Brag what?

So this is all about bragging?
Let's assume that it is the ritual called tithing that gives you wealth, so you will now be bragging?

This is exactly what yahoo boys are doing now!

When babalawo deceived yahoo boys that they are making money because of their rituals, then the yahoo boys begins to brag that ritual is working.
That's what you people are doing too

This Africa self

Convince us. One thing is, when we give tithes, we believe it is given to God
Like how?
Can you explain yourself

Do God eat human money?

And moreover, did God asked Christians to pay tithe, where did you see that in the bible ?

, and He will reward us.
if you are working and earning money, all the money or fortunes or achievements you have ever made was through your effort and has nothing to do with any tithe.

But people like you, when you are asked to bring human flesh for sacrifice, to have money, you will rush and look for who to kill.
what is this one talking?
You know nothing about me and cannot say anything about me until it tell you myself who i am, if that is necessary.

Imagine the faulty conclusion grin

So we giving tithes, that is the sacrifice we pay to also have God's blessings in one way or the other...
Africans will always be diabolical in one way or the other thinking that is giving them financial fortune. I just mention babalawo, it's still the same thing that you people do in church.
In this case, pastor is your babalawo while tithing is your sacrifice or ritual and the church has become your shrine.

It is a classified ancient African culture that you people are now seeing as opportunity to practice in church today .
Ritualism!

But here is the truth.
It does not work, it is a scam
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Kobojunkie: 8:21pm On May 12
ttmax09:
■ You are so wrong, I understand that tithing is not compulsory and cannot take from me or give me salvation, but if I'm been blessed in my local church and I know my pastor is into the ministry full time, why shouldn't I pay my tithe? After all giving is an integral part of our faith.
Your churchian tithings have absolutely nothing to do with the God of Israel — YHWH— and His Son, Jesus Christ. You are instead under a system that is run solely by your religious leaders, your gods of men, who scam you daily using the name of God they know nothing of or care for. undecided
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by BeigJawnson(m): 8:26pm On May 12
paxonel:
The issue is, someone is deliberately using the faulty tithe doctrine to distort money from church members and that is the most classified immorality.
And when someone speaks against it you will say the person doesn't have manners.

I really don't know what you define as manners
Brag what?

So this is all about bragging?
Let's assume that it is the ritual called tithing that gives you wealth, so you will now be bragging?

This is exactly what yahoo boys are doing now!

When babalawo deceived yahoo boys that they are making money because of their rituals, then the yahoo boys begins to brag that ritual is working.
That's what you people are doing too

This Africa self
Like how?
Can you explain yourself

Do God eat human money?

And moreover, did God asked Christians to pay tithe, where did you see that in the bible ?
if you are working and earning money, all the money or fortunes or achievements you have ever made was through your effort and has nothing to do with any tithe.
what is this one talking?
You know nothing about me and cannot say anything about me until it tell you myself who i am, if that is necessary.

Imagine the faulty conclusion grin
Africans will always be diabolical in one way or the other thinking that is giving them financial fortune. I just mention babalawo, it's still the same thing that you people do in church.
In this case, pastor is your babalawo while tithing is your sacrifice or ritual and the church has become your shrine.

It is a classified ancient African culture that you people are now seeing as opportunity to practice in church today .
Ritualism!

But here is the truth.
It does not work, it is a scam

So you calling some group of people fools is morally okay right? I can't laugh...

You don't believe in something and called it scam, never meant it is a scam.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 8:40pm On May 12
Kobojunkie:
Pretending? All Israelites across the world who are yet to accept Jesus Christ exist under the curses of the Old Law of God. The details of how the curse manifests can be found in Leviticus 26 and Deuteronomy 28. They remain God's chosen people, but living under the curse, they cannot be redeemed by any other but Jesus Christ. undecided
Redeemed by christ so they can continue following old testament laws?
What is the point of grace?
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by paxonel(m): 8:40pm On May 12
BePrepared:

Can u prove that he was defrauded before a court of law.

you don't need any court of law over a case where someone outsmart your intelligence and keep exploiting money from you.
All you need is simple wisdom!

However, i don't know what exact country the op mean by diaspora, but what i know is that most countries in Europe including the UK have regulations against religious exploitations like tithing to protect it citizens..
Remember, Bishop Oyedepo have been banned from entering UK talkless of him going there to open a church.
Chris Oyakhilome too was sanctioned for exploitation related offense some time ago in the UK, but it wasn't clear whether it was tithing.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by mctech(m): 8:43pm On May 12
Guy each man's faith works for him, irrespective of religion. Continue doing what works for you as you are obviously seeing the result. Even in Christianity, not all churches believe in tithing e.g. JW.

Pay your tithe and let her be. However, basic issues like this are meant to have been discussed during courtship. Aren't you attending the same church?

However, from the way you painted your wife, she may mess you up real good or even cripple you financially in future e g. through divorce.

Invest more in your growth and finances, hide some of your income from her and secretly invest.

But wait o, was she always like this or she was influenced? When did you guys Japa?

I'm seeing a time bomb here. Selfishness is the mother of all wickedness.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by NuCypher: 8:45pm On May 12
Simplemeeeee:
In the bible, no one can lay claim to being the owner of the temples. But these churches of today is owned by either an individual or a group of individuals as always shown in their CAC and other documents hence, reflect in the way the tithes and offerings are managed, even by the owner of the church undecided undecided

Be wise my brother

Nigerian Christians are just generally gullible. The church owner. Like Adeboye for example, will eventually pass on his church to his kids and never to the senior pastor who's his deputy. Yet, Nigerian Christians will fail to see his church as an enterprise, a business enterprise.

1 Like

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Kobojunkie: 8:49pm On May 12
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:
■ Redeemed by christ so they can continue following old testament laws? What is the point of grace?
Jesus Christ is a separate Nation/Covenant from the Old Covenant Kingdom of Israel in the Land of Canaan. As Jesus Christ said, one cannot have one leg in Jesus Christ and one leg in the Old Law — do not mix old wine and new wine today as the result is disastrous. undecided

As for grace, well that simply means Eternal Life; Even demons/devils, equally spirits, have eternal life. undecided
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by blahc007: 8:50pm On May 12
optm:
let him be. Jesus Christ didn't condemn giving of tithe either ( ‭Luke 11:42 NKJV‬
[42] “But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.

https://bible.com/bible/114/luk.11.42.NKJV .). If he isn't being blessed in his giving to the church, he can stop but there are people that would willingly give to the Church and promote God's agenda here on earth and God's work will never lack. Some of us have seen and experienced first hand what God is doing through his genuine ministers that some of you criticize. Not all pastors or churches are fake. if you know the fake ones and you have evidence you can go call them out but trying to paint all churches as bad or fraud is pure evil
It really amazes me how you people still respond to this kobojunkie guy.....

He argues pointlessly.....he makes sense today, tomorrow he is sounding like I better pass my neighbor weh em fuel wan finish ..

He is a Christian today, tomorrow he is sounding like an atheist...

Quoting scriptures off point to defend his unending arguments...

He no de go church, he no like pastor, he no like Apostle, yet any time he sees any post about church matter, weda good or bad news he go jump enter ...and start quoting bible verses upside...

Una go still de respond to am....still follow am de argue...

Una get strength oo
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by paxonel(m): 8:55pm On May 12
BeigJawnson:

So you calling some group of people fools is morally okay right? I can't laugh...
scamming people is more immortal

You don't believe in something and called it scam, never meant it is a scam.

it's not about me believing in it or not.
It's about the deceptive manner which these pastors use it to exploit you people which they can never do it in a sane society.

Now i ask the question again, where in the bible did these pastors get the tithing doctrine that they are now using it to threaten you people that were supose to be Christians that if you don't pay things will become tight for you?
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by tundebasic(m): 9:25pm On May 12
Almunjid:

Are u trying to say that the Bible contradicts itself?
Oga, go and read your Bible, and stop quoting me.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by dooshm856: 9:26pm On May 12
pay your dues on time to avoid failure
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by osazsky(m): 9:33pm On May 12
paxonel:
You are simply a stupid Christian, mumu! grin

Whaat? for 5 years of brain washing?
Mehnnnn! grin grin grin grin

Sorry, don't be annoyed that I'm using those terms to describe you. It is simply what it is
u that is not paying have u achieved 2percent of wat he has achieved..my bro if it works for u continue thithing though I don't believe in it I won't discourage orthers
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by chysam: 9:58pm On May 12
Since god is a spirit,what is he doing with tithes from humans who are mere mortals?

rexbuton:

She is saying that tithe is supposed to be a personal matter between God and I. So I asked a question that what if I have a 5% voluntary contribution to an overseas fund, and i kept it private, and one day she stumbled on my account statement and found out that I now have 30k in overseas contributions. Would she be happy I didn’t tell her, and she said of course, I would need to let her know.
This answer got me confused, because if tithe should be a private matter, why should my voluntary contributions from my 20% not be a private matter!?
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by BeigJawnson(m): 10:15pm On May 12
paxonel:
scamming people is more immortal
it's not about me believing in it or not.
It's about the deceptive manner which these pastors use it to exploit you people which they can never do it in a sane society.

Now i ask the question again, where in the bible did these pastors get the tithing doctrine that they are now using it to threaten you people that were supose to be Christians that if you don't pay things will become tight for you?

Now I am throwing the question back to you, is it all pastors threatening people to pay tithes?

Mind you, I don't pay tithes, I give...
If the word tithe is not mentioned in the bible, it won't be talked about.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Idaytesj29(m): 10:37pm On May 12
advanceDNA:

Baba......na so most of them be.....Best thing na to start with being firm about how u wanna spend money, when dealing with them....

.once u give woman too much "allow".. she must turn am to allowance.... Imagine woman dey vex for me untop my own money after i care for you l, care for your family...no be witchcraft be that?

Serious witchcraft. As if na she work for the money out am for your pocket.

I open shop for woman, she dey do am anyhow cos no be her money. I don dey look for 9-5 for her. When I get that done. No investment anymore. I don already test am with one and her attitude has shown she won't build the business.

I built the shop, furnish and stock before handing it over to her.

Any other business now, na my personal business and life goals. She no dey feature again. With her 9-5, she can invest for herself. If she ask me for support. I will do what I can. Shikena!
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by armyofone(m): 12:44am On May 13
Kobojunkie:
You don't deserve the money, but a pastor man who would use it to pay off his mortgage and maybe even buy his next private jet is the one who is more deserving of it, abi? undecided

For almost 2000 years, Jesus Christ, who never asked anyone for a dime of their money, has never owned a bank account or been shown to have received even a penny from any religious leader, yet Christians(religionists) claim they have given him tons of their wealth by way of their Mogs and Pastors. No be magic be that? grin

Tithe is Brainwashing = ( motivation speakers aka pastor Brainwashing the congregations.

Op, best use the money to send your kid to private school. Don't say your kids is attending public school while you cater for tithe people.
Give to improve your community but not to specific church in the name of tithing.

1 Like

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Kobojunkie: 12:57am On May 13
armyofone:
■Tithe is Brainwashing = ( motivation speakers aka pastor Brainwashing the congregations.
Op, best use the money to send your kid to private school. Don't say your kids is attending public school while you cater for tithe people.
Give to improve your community but not to specific church in the name of tithing.
Imagine the level of brainwashing! Human beings fund even the rich lifestyles of pastorpreneurs pretending they fund God by doing so. undecided

2. Improve community? These people? No way! If even 10% of their 10% went to Community improvement projects, Nigeria would look a lot like Oyinbo land, but most Nigerians are way too stingy for that. They would rather fund their private me-alone glorification projects and that side to them is primarily what these pastorpreneurs tap into. grin

1 Like

Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 2:57am On May 13
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ is a separate Nation/Covenant from the Old Covenant Kingdom of Israel in the Land of Canaan. As Jesus Christ said, one cannot have one leg in Jesus Christ and one leg in the Old Law — do not mix old wine and new wine today as the result is disastrous. undecided

As for grace, well that simply means Eternal Life; Even demons/devils, equally spirits, have eternal life. undecided
When you claim to be a follower of christ and are religiously following the tithing rule in the old testament then you have one leg here and another there and a disastrous consequence will befall you. Jesus never collected or requested for tithe from anyone. Of course he spoke about giving, he gave generously but never asked for tithe to be paid to him and neither did Paul or any other disciple. cool It was the exclusive reserve of the Levites.
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by paxonel(m): 5:59am On May 13
[quote author=BeigJawnson post=129921956]

Now I am throwing the question back to you, is it all pastors threatening people to pay tithes? /
so long they call it tithe it is a threat.
There is no pastor who collect tithe that doesn't quote the book of Malachi which prounce misfortune to people who do not pay.
And that's where the threat lies.
[quote]
Mind you, I don't pay tithes, I give...
Giving is another thing entirely,This is what i do too, and it is not necessarily 10% of my income
I give anytime and I'm not compelled by threats from the book of Malachi to do so

If the word tithe is not mentioned in the bible, it won't be talked about
that is the problem!
IInfact, that is where the scam is coming from!

The truth is, the bible comprises of both the old and the new testament, and where our faith lies is the new testament and not the old.
So why will someone read the old testament to compel me to pay a tithe regime that was meant for the old testament, is that not a scam?
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by paxonel(m): 6:07am On May 13
osazsky:
u that is not paying have u achieved 2percent of wat he has achieved..my bro if it works for u continue thithing though I don't believe in it I won't discourage orthers
Is dangote paying tithe?
Has he as a tithe payer achieved 0.001 percent of what dangote has achieved?

Some of you, your brain na water dey inside
Re: Family Tithing In The Diaspora by Gerrard59(m): 8:42am On May 13
BeigJawnson:

Women don't like seeing their husbands to give outsider money, majority of them always like to see the husbands spending for their parents and siblings but never care if the man is taking care of his own parents...

When giving your tithes, don't sound it trumpetically to her anymore. Don't talk about it again with her.

And when you give to other people in need, tell them not to sound the trumpets to anybody and you yourself don't let her know anything...

Let me give you and example, there is this brother, he bought 5litres of palmoil, which he wanted to give his mother on a visit, him and the rest of his family( his wife and the two kids) ... Unluckily for him, he could not make it, he was called up from work with an urgency. So he told his wife and kids to go, probably he will join them there. He told his wife to give his mom the palm oil. Do you know that, his wife took half of the oil in the 5litres gallon before she delivered it. She wasn't happy for her husband to give his mom the full gallon of palm oil. It was the first son, a boy of 15 years that challenged her on what she did, she shouted at him not to put mouth in anything that doesn't concerns him.

The man got to know, since then when he wants to give strangers anything, including his parents and siblings. He doesn't tell his wife.

The true taste of marriage is after its first five years. Men should marry those who like genuinely like them and their immediate families. If I was the man in question, I would keep a grudge.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Is It Wrong To Confront A Pastor Politely / Why It's Important To Pray Without Ceasing Even When It Seems Hard To Pray / Does The Muslim Also Pay Tithes Or Offering?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.