Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (267) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 (2337192 Views)

R36L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ14ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld / Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) / Chelsea Fans Thread : Winners of the FA Cup And League Winners 09/10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) ... (3528) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by biolabee(m): 9:44am On Jul 29, 2013
IZUKWU: i trust wenger to do his best. He has overseen two different arsenal dispensations. He meet a top side with quality enough players to challenge for the league and champions league and funds to buy top players and later due to sacrifices to secure the future of the club by building new stadium ,he had to curtail buys and manage to keep the team afloat both in the league and europe and could have even added some trophies not minding the sudden riches of chelsea and mancity,has consistently been in the top four,with changes now in the fortunes of the club,wenger can deliver once again. Or do you earnestly think ,you want the trophies more than him? What would you get with the trophies and imagine what he will get .be calm ,wenger knows his beans sorry onions!

Wenger cannot change
Moreover he is not a fan of defensive solidity
Stikers win you games, Defenders and GKs win you titles
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by debosky(m): 9:52am On Jul 29, 2013
biolabee:
Wenger cannot change
Moreover he is not a fan of defensive solidity
Stikers win you games, Defenders and GKs win you titles

Bro this one na beer parlour analysis - Arsenal's defence was better than United's last season (measured by goals conceded) and so was Citeh's. Who won the title again?

Only ONCE in the past 5 seasons has the league winner been outscored by another team, while in 3 out of 5 seasons, the winning team hasn't had the best defence.

Basically you're just talking outta your ärse. grin

2 Likes

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Mod412(m): 9:53am On Jul 29, 2013
debosky:

Not sure what you meant by the highlighted - are you saying simply because a man is 'supremely intelligent' he 'wants' or 'orchestrates' the constraints he is working with?

What exactly do you think he has 'orchestrated'?

Here are a few excerpts:

The next step for them is deciding whether they are in a squad who can help them to be successful.

We had that problem when we were under financially-restricted conditions.

For some players, we didn't have enough stars to be successful as quickly as they wanted to be. Of course, that's one of the problems we face in our job.

The above reads like a rational understanding of past events gained after reflection, at least to me. Maybe I'm missing your point?

Well said, am pretty sure Judas was the player he was referring to, although I feel we could have done more to keep him at the club.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:53am On Jul 29, 2013
debosky:

Not sure what you meant by the highlighted - are you saying simply because a man is 'supremely intelligent' he 'wants' or 'orchestrates' the constraints he is working with?

What exactly do you think he has 'orchestrated'?

Here are a few excerpts:

The next step for them is deciding whether they are in a squad who can help them to be successful.

We had that problem when we were under financially-restricted conditions.

For some players, we didn't have enough stars to be successful as quickly as they wanted to be. Of course, that's one of the problems we face in our job.

The above reads like a rational understanding of past events gained after reflection, at least to me. Maybe I'm missing your point?

It means exactly what it means.

Arsene is nobodys fool. All the talk of no money is what he signed up for. Nobody has 'tied his hands' he is probably a major decision maker for the dont spend money regime.

And it also means every decision taken was with his consent. Which translates to the present day where even though they really cannot still claim there is no money, they still refuse to spend it. (And i dont mean spending 50 million on one player, i mean actually buying capable players who will cost a bit above free transfers and 5 million pounds).

Bottomline i am sick of people making excuses for arsene when he says rubbish like this squad is capable of competing for the title. He knows better. He refuses to address the shortcomings. You cannot tell me arsene does not know the difference in quality between sanogo and higuain....
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by nitlad: 9:58am On Jul 29, 2013
4llerbuntu: Awon baba eh lo stoopid. Oloriburuku oshi.

Won shepe fun eh ni?

shocked

Ashipa ewo n'tepe?! grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:02am On Jul 29, 2013
Anyway @debosky if u have season review dvd watch the reviews between 2008 and 2012.....

ANd tell me this man with a very high iq cannot figure out exactly why his teams get worse year on year.

AS for defensive solidity....... hmmn well we all know wenger has never been a big fan of defences.

When u juxtapose the teams who won scoring prowess with ours pls include those years where arsenal scored bucketfuls and conceded by tipperloads.

Btw do u now agree that bould made a difference? Abi how many other years could u claim to have a better defensive record compared with the champions?

So with bouldie we just need firepower upfront eh? Who woulda thunk debosky could say thi$
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:04am On Jul 29, 2013
nitlad:

shocked

Ashipa ewo n'tepe?! grin grin grin

Iwo na sha rii nansense ti bobo yen shey na.
Mi o bu ki o to ma pe awon eeyan eh ni oruko oshi....
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by debosky(m): 10:38am On Jul 29, 2013
4llerbuntu:
It means exactly what it means.

Arsene is nobodys fool. All the talk of no money is what he signed up for. Nobody has 'tied his hands' he is probably a major decision maker for the dont spend money regime. And it also means every decision taken was with his consent.

He is 'probably' is not equal to fact, especially when there were real constraints from external forces beyond Arsene/Arsenal's control. I don't think anyone is disputing that he has agreed to work under the constraints, but to say he orchestrated them is a wild stretch at best and simply baseless at worst.

I agree - he must have believed he could still win trophies despite the constraints, but that failed. However, my view is that there is a distinction between agreeing to try to get the best out of limited resources (and failing) and your claim that he orchestrated the limited resources situation.

Which translates to the present day where even though they really cannot still claim there is no money, they still refuse to spend it. (And i dont mean spending 50 million on one player, i mean actually buying capable players who will cost a bit above free transfers and 5 million pounds).

As I usually say at this point, I'm not clairvoyant so it's premature to say they refuse to spend it. The best anyone can say is they haven't spent. . .so far.

As far as can be publicly garnered - not just spin/rumour - with independent confirmation from another club, the club is currently willing to spend at least £40m. If they eventually don't spend, maybe your assertion will be proven true. I'd rather wait and see.

Bottomline i am sick of people making excuses for arsene when he says rubbish like this squad is capable of competing for the title. He knows better. He refuses to address the shortcomings. You cannot tell me arsene does not know the difference in quality between sanogo and higuain....

I don't know about making excuses, what I do know is that you will NEVER hear Arsene Wenger say a bad word about his squad - deficiencies or otherwise. If you expect him to come out and say 'my squad is rubbish' then you're a dreamer. As I've often repeated, I'll judge him by his actions, not his words.

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by debosky(m): 10:54am On Jul 29, 2013
4llerbuntu: Anyway @debosky if u have season review dvd watch the reviews between 2008 and 2012.....
ANd tell me this man with a very high iq cannot figure out exactly why his teams get worse year on year.

Who said he didn’t figure it out? The question to ask is - were the solutions available or did he have to make do with less than perfect options?

Between 08 and 12, we’ve lost Nasri, Cesc, Hleb, Flamini, RVP and Ade (among others). In my view, Wenger didn’t want to lose any of those, but had his hand forced by the financial constraints. That is the issue he alluded to in his Q&A.

AS for defensive solidity....... hmmn well we all know wenger has never been a big fan of defences.

This is a myth as far as I’m concerned. As the stats show, the league winners are almost always inevitably the highest scorers - I expect anyone (be it Wenger, Fergie, JM) interested in winning the league to act accordingly.

When u juxtapose the teams who won scoring prowess with ours pls include those years where arsenal scored bucketfuls and conceded by tipperloads.

You can do so yourself - How many of those years did Arsenal outscore the league champions?

Btw do u now agree that bould made a difference? Abi how many other years could u claim to have a better defensive record compared with the champions? So with bouldie we just need firepower upfront eh? Who woulda thunk debosky could say thi$

Whether or not Bouldie makes a difference is still down to Wenger. Or did Bouldie appoint himself?

PS - I didn’t say ‘with Bouldie - xyz’ all I’ve said is that the claim that strikers win games and defenders & GKs win titles is bullshiite.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by A40(m): 12:16pm On Jul 29, 2013
Mod412:

There's a big difference tho, we bought Walcott when Southampton was still in League 2, and Arterta from Everton, do you consider them our rivals?

Stuggart won the bundesliga with Gomez as top scorer, guess what - he was sold to bayern. Neuer became the best Goalkeeper in Germany, guess what - he was sold to bayern, Ballack from Leverkusen, Klose from Werder Bremen, Goetze, the list goes on and on.

We do these teams favors by grossly overpaying for them! Look at how much we paid for Gomez and Neuer and ask yourself if they were worth that much at the time

Mod412:

Bayern are in a league of their own, i even pointed to the fact that they didn't build the allianz arena with their own money, teh got assistance from the Government - Guy wake up from this sleep nah, you're comparing apples with oranges.

Even after being corrected you are still blowing this fallacy. The Government did not contribute a single Euro! The stadium was funded by Bayern and Allianz AG
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by biolabee(m): 12:18pm On Jul 29, 2013
debosky:

Bro this one na beer parlour analysis

Hahaha.. nice one
However the fact remains wenger and defence are not best buds
Arsenal is the consistent top 4 team whose first shot on target by the opponent leads to a goal conceded

Poor defensive awareness at corners

Our keepers are bullied at set pieces so easily - Samba and Flappy-hands-ski comes to mind so easily

Bros, leave matter///
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by tonydoes: 12:32pm On Jul 29, 2013
That guy with the Knife on his neck...probaly regrets that pic now cry http://gidigooner..com/
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by biolabee(m): 12:54pm On Jul 29, 2013
tonydoes: That guy with the Knife on his neck...probaly regrets that pic now cry http://gidigooner..com/

Is it your blog
How does one subscribe by email
Seems interesting..
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:40pm On Jul 29, 2013
Been watching old season reviews.

Couldnt help but notice how well wenger always dealt with moyes grin grin

RUbs hands with glee
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Mod412(m): 2:22pm On Jul 29, 2013
A-40, just to prove my claim is not a 'fallacy' as you put it, here's some info.

"Cost
The cost of the construction itself ran to €286 million but financing costs raised that figure to a total of €340 million. In addition, the city and State incurred approximately €210 million for area development and infrastructure improvements".

I read 'city' and 'state' as Government, let's move on if you agree to disagree.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by A40(m): 3:40pm On Jul 29, 2013
Mod412: A-40, just to prove my claim is not a 'fallacy' as you put it, here's some info.

"Cost
The cost of the construction itself ran to €286 million but financing costs raised that figure to a total of €340 million. In addition, the city and State incurred approximately €210 million for area development and infrastructure improvements".

I read 'city' and 'state' as Government, let's move on if you agree to disagree.
Area development and infrastructure (roads etc) not the Stadium itself! I repeat the Government did not spend a Euro on the Allianz Arena! That is why its purpose built for football and cannot even be used to host concerts or other non-football events

Allianz AG,Bayern Munich and to a lesser extent 1860 Munich were the financiers of that stadium
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by biolabee(m): 4:19pm On Jul 29, 2013
i think the allianz was financed with govt help..
put up facts to the contrary
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by A40(m): 5:00pm On Jul 29, 2013
biolabee: i think the allianz was financed with govt help..
put up facts to the contrary

Is it that you guys can't read ni? undecided Even the link Mod412 quoted clearly shows that surrounding infrastructure was upgraded due to the stadium and that's what extra 200 million euros was used for. Unless you want to tell us that the surrounding autobahn,subways & stations are also part of the Allianz Arena

http://www.allianz-arena.de/en/aktuell/news-archiv/06432.php

http://travel-munich.guide-accorhotels.com/hotel-munich/museum-monument-munich/allianz-arena-munich-p-4681498
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by dayokanu(m): 6:42pm On Jul 29, 2013
[size=14pt]BTW Proudlybollocks, How is the Bernard signing coming on[/size]
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by biolabee(m): 7:06pm On Jul 29, 2013
Ok.. still smells fishy
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jul 29, 2013
In the 1975/76 season, Brian Clough took over as manager of Nottingham Forest. Before his arrival the club had finished 16th in the second tier of English football.

In the season when he took over they managed to rise to 8th. Forest were promoted into the England’s first division a year later.

The fans already loved him but couldn’t be prepared for what happened the next season. Forest became one of three teams that have been promoted into Division 1 and then won it the following year in 1978. They placed second behind Liverpool the next season, but won the European Cup.

In 1979/80, although placing 5th in the league, they yet again triumphed to another European Cup, beating Hamburg in the final in Madrid. Now who could have thought that a club that have won two of the most prestigious awards in world football could get relegated under the same manager?

Clough revolutionised Nottingham Forest. Yes, Clough won the league title, something no Nottingham Forest fans could have dreamed of. But, if your club is beginning to under-perform to your expectations, your manager needs to go. Forest were relegated in 1993, finishing bottom of the Premiership.

So how does this relate to Arsene Wenger and Arsenal.

Wenger is held in extremely high regard to all football fans after coming third in his first season and then winning the double in his second. In 2003/04 he led Arsenal to an unbeaten Premier League season.

In 2004/05, Arsenal won the FA Cup, beating Manchester United on penalties.

Since then, he has failed to win anything apart from a place in the Champions League. Arsenal have not finished higher than third since the 2005.

Is Arsenal's expectation to be a good team in England or the best? The fans want to win the league, so why hasn’t Wenger gone?

Now who could have thought that a club that have won two of the most prestigious awards in the world could get relegated under the same manager?

The best way to predict the future is look at the actions of the past.

http://www.givemesport.com/363876-arsenal-could-be-the-new-nottingham-forest

Very interesting read!
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by proudlysports: 9:48pm On Jul 29, 2013
dayokanu: [size=14pt]BTW Proudlybollocks, How is the Bernard signing coming on[/size]
Didn't I say a few days ago that he's off to Porto? Even in my original post, I stated that it didn't seem like a typical Arsene signing to me.
BTW, don't you have a 'drawing board' to return to after the weekend's drubbing?
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 29, 2013
naijababe:

Very interesting read!
it actually makes a lot of sense.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by proudlysports: 9:55pm On Jul 29, 2013
naijababe:

Very interesting read!
Another one:

In Wenger's final season in charge, Nancy finished 19th and were relegated to Ligue 2. Aldo defended the appointment of Wenger and stated, "It wasn't [his] fault. He had no money to spend"

This will NOT be our portion! grin grin

Wenger identified several players to build his desired team. Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Glenn Hoddle, granted a free transfer, and Patrick Battiston, out of contract at Bordeaux were signed. Striker Mark Hateley left Milan to join Monaco and was "encouraged to learn" his fellow Englishman Hoddle would play in the same side as him. Monaco won the league in Wenger's debut season, six points ahead of runners-up Bordeaux. Although the team scored more goals in 1988–89 due to the purchase of Liberian striker George Weah, Monaco failed to retain the league and finished third behind Olympique de Marseille and Paris Saint-Germain. The club reached the final of the Coupe de France, the national knockout cup competition in the same season, but lost 4–3 to Marseille.

Monaco again finished third in 1989–90; striker Ramón Díaz scored 15 goals in his first season at the club. The club beat league winners Marseille in the Coupe de France final through a last minute goal from substitute Gérald Passi. In 1991–92, Monaco finished in second place and lost the 1992 European Cup Winners' Cup Final 2–0 to Werder Bremen. Although Monaco acquired the services of German striker Jürgen Klinsmann, the club could not retain the championship and concluded the subsequent seasons in third and ninth positions.

Again 9th position is not our portion! grin

As a result of his work at Monaco, Wenger was sought after by German club Bayern Munich, who wanted him to be their next manager. Monaco refused to let him leave and Wenger chose to stay
ref: Palmer, Myles (31 March 2011). The Professor: Arsène Wenger. Random House. pp. 16–17. ISBN 0-7535-4661-2.

So Wenger refused to join Bayern? No wonder.....
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by dayokanu(m): 10:03pm On Jul 29, 2013
proudlysports:
[size=15pt]Barring last minute change of mind by Arsenal/Arsene, Bernard would be in London this weekend after the copalibertodores (however that one is spelt). My sources are 90% sure of this but at 20M, it doesn't feel like a typical Arsene signing. Anyways, we should know by Monday
[/size]

I was the first person who told you he was already on his way to Porto even less than 1hr after you were breaking the fake news

https://www.nairaland.com/810639/arsenal-fan-thread-rising-ashes/259#16960437
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by proudlysports: 10:10pm On Jul 29, 2013
So u missed the part I said it doesn't feel like an Arsene signing? And whether you were the one who told me he was heading to Porto or not is irrelevant. When whoever it was said Bernard would be heading to Porto, didn't I agree or did I dispute it?

Is there a competition going on that I know nothing of or is it just about who breaks what news ahead of proudlysports? cheesy cheesy

Meanwhile, I don't see how this translates to informing me he was on his WAY TO PORTO

Proudlybollocks,

So you no know say Na Porto and Tottenham dey pursue Bernard since?

if he come London na for Spurs

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/215557.html

But wetin una need Bernard for when you already have Walcott who plays similar
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jul 29, 2013
@ proudly, i hope i won't be following Conference because of Arsenal in a few years, that Wenger na real 'oloshe'!
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by proudlysports: 10:25pm On Jul 29, 2013
^^^ I reject am on your behalf.
His history just shows that he has always been frugal and Arsenal found a manager that fit into what they wanted back then. I think now that we have built the stadium and things are looking 'rosy' financially, perhaps it's time to say Adieu Monsieur?

Meanwhile, this is what we get from over paying players like Bendtner:

It had been reported that Bendtner failed to find an agreement with Malaga as they were not impressed with his off-field activities and while that might also be a factor, it was the wages he was asking which put an end to any potential deal.

Schuster said

With Bendtner the economic issues were almost impossible.

He will continue to make money.

Frankfurt also failed to come to an agreement with the Danish striker due to his wage demands and recent reports claimed that the player is now blaming Arsenal for refusing to lower his asking price as the reason he is unable to find a new club.

Bendtner, then, perhaps forgets that he was the one that declared Arsenal had agreed terms with five clubs [Malaga made it six] showing that the price the club were asking for him was not unreasonable at all.

Bendtner has one year left on his deal and it was claimed that he will stay at Arsenal rather than take a pay cut. This could very well be newspaper speculation but given what we already know about Bendtner it does seem that he isn’t really all that bothered about playing football.

Arsenal, of course, have to take their share of the blame for paying him such ridiculous sums to begin with but the player should find himself some professional pride and attempt to get his career back on track.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by OAM4J: 12:16am On Jul 30, 2013
naijababe:

Very interesting read!

I told a friend towards the end of last season that I really dont want Arsenal to qualify for CL or anything, he thought my love for Arsenal was waning, but I know if that had happen it would have provided a reality check on whether we really need to renew Wenger's contract or not, and if we must he would have known he cant continue to do the same thing he has been doing for the past 7 years. Anyways its not over yet, lets see what he does this season, fingers crossed.

meanwhile from our 'unreliable sources'

Leaked Picture: Arsenal’s boss secret improved bid to Liverpool for Suarez

Here is a leaked picture of Arsene Wenger’s secret letter to Liverpool for the transfer for Luis Suarez. Wenger made a new bid with Fish and chip plus 40 Million and 3 Pounds.

grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by IZUKWU(m): 10:07am On Jul 30, 2013
Hmmm ! Interesting
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 30, 2013
Every time I look at Wenger's face my stomach turns! That's not a good sign, is it? The guy dey vex me wella angry angry angry
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by EejaNla01(m): 1:34pm On Jul 30, 2013
Mtsew.

Make fans boycot all matches @ d emirate and watch only away games,then dey would know fans are being pained,but iro ne those oyinbo go still dey display "in arsene we trust" angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) ... (3528) (Reply)

Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: ObaIgwe1 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.