Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? (18398 Views)

Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 / Top 22 Richest People In Nigeria 2011 / Ghanaian, 31, Pulls Off Britain's Biggest Banking Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by gabbytabby: 12:04am On Dec 03, 2011
Something really needed tobe done to this disgraceful mode of transportation which rose out of the ashes in the last 10 or so years. The way to go about it is what has been adopted by Lagos ie create dedicated bus lanes and get in buses into the country.

It really needed to go. Brave move Presi Jonathan.
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by otosa(m): 12:16am On Dec 03, 2011
What I know is that, maybe we want it or not revolution is around corner. So we should try to build our mind for this.
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by asewa(m): 12:38am On Dec 03, 2011
Well Good idea, I hope that one policy will originate revolution in this Nigeria angry angry angry
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by soloqy: 12:39am On Dec 03, 2011
nsiadi:

People shd desist from deceiving others
The government never gave a rejoinder
So the govts stand has not changed

Government stand on what?

Read the post immediately above you and respect yourself.

Government said they never banned okada as transportation.
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by nsiadi: 1:04am On Dec 03, 2011
@Soloqy, Seems you have problem with interpreting what 4 stroke engine means
Why not use your google b4 you run into big problem
If you believe the govt has denied that then say the source, provide the link
Otherwise nobody will believe you . & dont just post something you cant substantiate
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by soloqy: 1:36am On Dec 03, 2011
nsiadi:

@Soloqy, Seems you have problem with interpreting what 4 stroke engine means
Why not use your google b4 you run into big problem
If you believe the govt has denied that then say the source, provide the link
Otherwise nobody will believe you . & dont just post something you cant substantiate

Where are you located?

Why are you quick to argue.

Its on TV stations that government denies banning okada as transportation.

Respect yourself .
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by dinggle: 1:45am On Dec 03, 2011
This is crazy one man sitting far away tell me what to do in my village. Okada ban should be implemented by states after consulting with the ppl. Lagos, Abuja and places where they r used for crime should be ban. But it shouldn't be ban in villages because as we all knw most villages r not motor-able so okada helps there. Besides will govt buy the Okada from the owners? after all taxes were paid on them during import. Someone needs to answer these questions. This is where GEJ is failing again don't just ban provide alternatives as well let everyone feel they belong in the Nigerian project
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by nsiadi: 2:05am On Dec 03, 2011
@ Soloqy, Why cant you be firm
Why are you afraid of quoting your source
Its not enuf to just say TVs carried it
Stand firm & say so so person denied romour being peddled regarding bikes
We all know who are the government spokes persons

For your information Abati has since taken over fro Emma Niboro
We have Labaran Maku, Anyim is also there
Who of these people came on air to reverse what you are claiming

Look @ the topic once more. Now respond if you have a positive input
Otherwise stop compounding issues
The thing under contention here is quite clear. We shd not be sentimental
My 1st balanced post on this issue is there. I am not a party man.
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by soloqy: 2:30am On Dec 03, 2011
I have nothing more to say to you.
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by Nobody: 6:59am On Dec 03, 2011
Didnt the okada Association endorse Jonathan some time back?
I remember because I commented on it
anyways badluck to them
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by Taiw(m): 7:06am On Dec 03, 2011
i honestly think jonathan has taken this too far.i forsee disasters in 2012.www.funnyfindings..com
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by Nobody: 7:10am On Dec 03, 2011
Didnt the okada Association endorse Jonathan some time back?
I remember because I commented on it
anyways badluck to them
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by Nobody: 7:17am On Dec 03, 2011
while they are at it
they can ban Nigerians from entering Nigeria
Ban Nigerians from being Nigerians
Ban People from Existing
Ban Life after 40

They don chop belleful now na to give us our daily suffering
Forget about this government creating employment afterall according to IMF it is not government's job to create jobs
and we all know we are being controlled and ruled by America and IMF
that is what u get from voting Goodluck
simple science garbage in garbage out
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by JgregeJung: 7:58am On Dec 03, 2011
This is basic economics 101 the law of supply and demand. There is a huge demand for this mode of transportation all across Nigeria from the villages to the mega cities like Lagos, Kano or Ibadan.
These mega cities need a complex and reliable mass transit commuter systems to be able to move commuters and goods safely and effectively in and around the city and it's suburbs.

New York- Newark urban agglomeration, population 19.4million inhabitants (New York city population 8.2million) mass transit commuter system second to none this system is used by 4.5 million people every day. Because of their effectiveness NY is the only city in the US where more than half the households don't own cars.

London urban agglomeration,  population 8.6 million inhabitants, subway is the oldest in the world and still moves 3.4 million people daily on the tube alone. The also operate light commuter rail and buses. Traveling in the tube is by far the most effective way to get around.

Hong kongurban agglomeration, population 7.1 million inhabitants, has the most effective system in the world 90% of all traveling is done by mass transit. Talk about 7 million daily riders. Impressive isn't it?

Lagos urban agglomeration, population 10.5 million inhabitants, mass transit systems or infrastructure non existent, and who wants to ban Okada? Pls give me a break. We need solutions and at the moment Okada is an intricate part of our so called mass transit commuter system. At its present growth rate of 600k/year Lagos will be the third largest mega city in the world by 2015 after Tokyo and Bombay. Need I say more??
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by Daffydoc: 8:23am On Dec 03, 2011
The minister of environment later denied this on d AIT evening news
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by success4(m): 8:56am On Dec 03, 2011
This bunch of retards still want more armed robbers in the country?
You refused to create job, people manage to create it, yet you gotta
destroy it. May THUNDER kill all that have anything thing to do with this
obnoxious policy sad
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by kbsheshe(m): 9:35am On Dec 03, 2011
Is of benefit of our country
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by success4(m): 9:42am On Dec 03, 2011
kbsheshe:

Is of benefit of our country

Do you actually understand the implication of this? Or are you a secondary school boy or girl?
Never meant to cause offense here, kindly educate us the benefit you mentioned, smh
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by Nairaplus(m): 10:46am On Dec 03, 2011
If the government removes oil subsidy, prices of everything will go high,and that amounts to deliberate inflation.

Now,if the Government takes away the source of Daily Bread of Millions of Nigerians (Okada Riders) whom they have failed to provide employment for, that will multiply mass unemployment.

If the Nigerian Government should ask what I think, I would say that all these will lead to the:

[center][size=36pt]THE NIGERIAN REVOLUTION[/size][/center]
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by jamace(m): 10:58am On Dec 03, 2011
Watching from the sideline. sad sad
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by olajide8(m): 11:33am On Dec 03, 2011
Another wrong move and a diversionary move by the government I just wonder who their economic engineers are I have said it time and time without number what we need in Nigeria is true federalism shekina! Common sense some times isn't common like simple arithmetic at ketu busstop towards cele area their are more than 9m people staying their and when they are returning from work bike riders are the cheapest and easiest means of transport its not economic viable for buses and taxis and it has employed more then 300 coz you can see their numbers on the aprons that's just one area in abuja all the so called satellite towns have okada rider unions that provide this service to the polise employing more then 150riders lugbe for example their is also kuje gwagwalada, then you talk of abeokuta ilaro, sagamu etc its just crazy they are not just thinking I can't seem to see economically profitable ideas stupid rubish as usual okonjo iweala rubish haven't we done it with our own hands now voted the wrong people I had no shoes, my husband and I rubish not even thinking of creating taxi carriage services and organising mechanaics into villages for repairs the ideas are thousands but you see they are always using us for their research projects in order for them to become professors of mediocrity and like I say they want Nigerians to stop talking about fuel subsidy removal while they remove it Diversionary tactics they say we are very gulliable and they can trample on our very shallow sensibilities
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by werepeLeri: 12:51pm On Dec 03, 2011
Nairaplus:

If the government removes oil subsidy, prices of everything will go high,and that amounts to deliberate inflation.

Now,if the Government takes away the source of Daily Bread of Millions of Nigerians (Okada Riders) whom they have failed to provide employment for, that will multiply mass unemployment.

If the Nigerian Government should ask what I think, I would say that all these will lead to the:

[center][size=36pt]THE NIGERIAN REVOLUTION[/size][/center]
and you are ready to lead or be among those who will die?
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by speak2me: 1:14pm On Dec 03, 2011
but really this thing should b a joke ooooooo or else its goona spell doom for the society

sad
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by Chiori(m): 3:27pm On Dec 03, 2011
The Presidency, through Hadiza Mailafiya, has denied ever having such plans.
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by thoth: 3:38pm On Dec 03, 2011
People should be careful. All these policies are dictated to nigeria by the imperialist tools IMF/World Bank.
Devalue naira to cause inflation and increase poverty.
Privatise social amenities and raise prices out of middle class reach.
Privatise banks and sell to foreigners so the can control our economic policies.
Remove fuel subsidy to destroy the remaining manufacturing industries.
Destroy private initiatives and alternatives with policies like banning okada and more to come.
What they WANT YOU TO DO IS TO TRY A REVOLUTION. They have been holding drils and making accesment on how to hijack and secure THIER interest once it happens,that was since 1997!.
You are only being worked on psychologically.
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by success4(m): 4:42pm On Dec 03, 2011
werepeLeri:

and you are ready to lead or be among those who will die?
Your name at it again!
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by werepeLeri: 5:34pm On Dec 03, 2011
http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/news/6010-fg-has-not-banned-okada-minister.html

[size=14pt]FG Has Not Banned Okada - Minister[/size]

THE Federal Government has declared that it had not authorised the ban on the use of commercial motorcycles as claimed by an agency of government, National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA).

Minister for Environment, Hadiza Mailafia, told State House correspondents in Abuja on Friday that no decision had yet been taken on the matter.

She was reacting to news reports emanating from NESREA, which is an agency under her ministry, that suggested that the use of motorcycles has been banned in an attempt to control pollution.

According to her, “there is no decision so far, as far as I am concerned about banning the use of achaba or okada.

“Of course, we are concerned about pollution, but we have not issued any statement to that effect.

“The true position is that government is calling on individuals and organisations of the entire polity to take care of their environment by, of course, complying with rules and regulations. That doesn’t mean you cannot ride motorcycles,” she said.

She said she did not know how the announcement on the ban came about, adding, “that’s what I am still trying to find out. I wouldn’t know. There doesn’t seem to be a reason for that anyway.”
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by mike0rlu: 7:01pm On Dec 03, 2011
instead of creating jobs and opportunity for poor men, they are banning poor people only bread, what a shame. stopping okada can never happen in nigeria.
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by DereI(f): 7:20pm On Dec 03, 2011
werepeLeri:

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/news/6010-fg-has-not-banned-okada-minister.html

[size=14pt]FG Has Not Banned Okada - Minister[/size]

THE Federal Government has declared that it had not authorised the ban on the use of commercial motorcycles as claimed by an agency of government, National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA).

Minister for Environment, Hadiza Mailafia, told State House correspondents in Abuja on Friday that no decision had yet been taken on the matter.

She was reacting to news reports emanating from NESREA, which is an agency under her ministry, that suggested that the use of motorcycles has been banned in an attempt to control pollution.

According to her, “there is no decision so far, as far as I am concerned about banning the use of achaba or okada.

“Of course, we are concerned about pollution, but we have not issued any statement to that effect.

“The true position is that government is calling on individuals and organisations of the entire polity to take care of their environment by, of course, complying with rules and regulations. That doesn’t mean you cannot ride motorcycles,” she said.

She said she did not know how the announcement on the ban came about, adding, “that’s what I am still trying to find out. I wouldn’t know. There doesn’t seem to be a reason for that anyway.”

Well i pray so.
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by Goldieluks: 7:38pm On Dec 03, 2011
Lol,this is so not fair,how will motorcycle riders feed?
Re: Motorcycles (Okadas) Banned Nationally From December 31, 2011? by Rashluv: 8:55pm On Dec 03, 2011
Bros infact u jst said it right! may god show Nigeria mercy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bureau De Change Operators React To Elimination Of Parallel Market / Biggest Consumer Markets In Nigeria: Lagos, Abuja, Kano, Ibadan, PH - BI / My Take On The Slave Labor In Nigerian Banks - Cramjones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.