Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,991 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? (17597 Views)

Counter Thread: 10 Reasons Why Nigerian Girls Suck At Relationships / See Signs Your Partner Thinks You Suck In B3d / How A Girl In Romance Section Nearly Soiled My Moniker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by emmatok(m): 1:14am On Dec 16, 2011
OP:Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance?

ME: They are too logical to be emotional.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by ortopazz(m): 1:17am On Dec 16, 2011
I guess they see otherz as inferior material, and they, orginal leather
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by denzel2009: 1:23am On Dec 16, 2011
depends on what they are sucking, bobbie or what?
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Jenifa1: 2:03am On Dec 16, 2011
It takes a lot of work to become an intellectual. and even more work to maintain that intellectualism.
I'll say the same for mathematicians, computer programmers, experts in fields of study etc
these kind of people have little time for romance. they'd rather be working/studying etc. since they gain more satisfaction from it.

you can pretty much say the same for any extremely work driven person. people who will rather work than play tend to be less romantic.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by rman: 3:22am On Dec 16, 2011
Nobody's romance sucks. What we try to do always is try to use a general standard for things like romance and beauty. It is not right and will never be.
So far all these high IQ/intelligent folks engage in relatioships, some married etc then it is safe to say they are indeed romantic.
What you and I may term not romantic may be the best romantic experience for someone somewhere.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by rman: 3:23am On Dec 16, 2011
Nobody's romance sucks. What we try to do always is try to use a general standard for things like romance and beauty. It is not right and will never be.
So far all these high IQ/intelligent folks engage in relatioships, some married etc then it is safe to say they are indeed romantic.
What you and I may term not romantic may be the best romantic experience for someone somewhere.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by lagcity(m): 7:30am On Dec 16, 2011
Intelligent guys tend to see thru the boolshit that ppl call romance nowadayz grin grin. That's why women avoid intelligent guys early on but when women get to the age of 35 or 40, they start to chase the intelligent guys who are now CEOs.

Let's say you are on a date with a young woman and she starts yapping about kim kardashian's beautiful Louis Vuitton handbag and how she's saving up to get one like it. If you join in the gossip with her and tell her the handbag is nice, then hand over your credit card, she'll say you are romantic and in touch with her feelings. BUT, if you tell her not to buy the handbag but open a brokerage account and put in $1000 to buy Louis Vuitton stock, she'll call u an as.shole and tell all her friends that u a plague to be avoided grin cheesy.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Sagamite(m): 8:05am On Dec 16, 2011
Jenifa_:

It takes a lot of work to become an intellectual. and even more work to maintain that intellectualism.
I'll say the same for mathematicians, computer programmers, experts in fields of study etc

these kind of people have little time for romance. they'd rather be working/studying etc. since they gain more satisfaction from it.

you can pretty much say the same for any extremely work driven person. people who will rather work than play tend to be less romantic.

Not really.

Things like that come easy for people that know that stuff.

I can do maths in my sleep and throughout my life I have never had to study hard for that subject. I did not even usually go for classes yet hardly ever missed the top marks.

It is all part of the privilege of an immensely logical brain. I am yet to see a Maths topic I do not understand with moderate studying.

Give me something like Sociology to study (a fuzzy subject) and I start struggling and have to read day and night only to end up with a B/C.

emmatok:

OP:Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance?

ME: They are too logical to be emotional.

lagcity:

Intelligent guys tend to see thru the boolshit that ppl call romance nowadayz grin grin. That's why women avoid intelligent guys early on but when women get to the age of 35 or 40, they start to chase the intelligent guys who are now CEOs.

Well said!
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Godmann(m): 11:02am On Dec 16, 2011
Sagamite:

Not really.

Things like that come easy for people that know that stuff.

I can do maths in my sleep and throughout my life I have never had to study hard for that subject. I did not even usually go for classes yet hardly ever missed the top marks.

It is all part of the privilege of an immensely logical brain. I am yet to see a Maths topic I do not understand with moderate studying.

Give me something like Sociology to study (a fuzzy subject) and I start struggling and have to read day and night only to end up with a B/C.

Well said!

Sorry, doing maths in your sleep does not necessarily mean you are intelligent. Maybe your brains is just better wired for maths. May be you are just average.

But generally, I think romance is build on emotions and we know emotions was never built on reason. In fact the more unintelligent one is, the more emotionally he reacts.

That's why romance quickly fades away because it is build on quicksand.

But as some pointed out, when two intelligent people come together in relationship, the sky becomes the limit, because they just flow

ceejayluv:

Lookin 4 a 'nerd'? Here's one! I'm not exactly a core nerd, ( at least not like Steve of Family Matters) i would say i'm a nerdy/cool hybrid- A liberal Geek! but i know what goes on in a nerd's mind.  We can be so logical to a fault. And yes, plotting to nail a chic is hardly in our priority list. (with hundreds of unsolved math puzzles and programming languages to master? There's no time for that!). In logic, its either 'true' or 'false', 1 or 0. If we manage to ask a gal out and she no gree, na so! We aint giving her a second shot. A nerd can miss a date cos of an IQ test!! As some1 rightly pointed out, we tend to b obsessive - Philip Emeagwali was so obsessed with his super computer research, he proposed to his girlfriend in the middle of a (supposedly scientific) discussion by saying "by the way, lets get Married",  , Bill Gates is a quintessential nerd. with all his billions, he didn't bother to go  outside his company to find a wife- im no wan stress himself!
Who else would sit down for months developing advanced social network algorithms just for fun if not for a downright nerd? In an interview, Mitchelle Obama admitted that Barack was so lame on their first date. Nerdy ambitions surely take a toll on the geek's social and romantic life.  Only a nerdy girl can understand and cope with a nerdy guy,

Honestly, you cannot be intelligent. Intelligent guys knows how to question their own intelligent, because the more you know, the more you find out that you do not know.

Knowledge s limitless. For you to conclude that you know enough means you are seeing a limit to knowledge which is the very attribute of unintelligent minds. Maybe your are fortunate with your average brain to have grabs those stuff that is presently blowing your head. I've never seen Albert Eisenstein call himself an intelligent man; but I have seen his works on the sciences; I have read his philosophical opinions; his political statements are masterpiece; meaning his is a truly intelligent mind.

Intelligent minds excel in all fields, because it is same brain that is involved.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Sagamite(m): 11:57am On Dec 16, 2011
Godman_n:

Sorry, doing maths in your sleep does not necessarily mean you are intelligent. Maybe your brains is just better wired for maths. May be you are just average.

You are obviously not a regular on NL, otherwise you will not question such or even have a doubt. grin

You will even be worshipping. No be your fault.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Godmann(m): 12:32pm On Dec 16, 2011
Sagamite:

You are obviously not a regular on NL, otherwise you will not question such or even have a doubt. grin

You will even be worshipping. No be your fault.

Does nairaland have a different criteria for measuring intelligence? Or have your guys been running a kind of IQ test?
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Sagamite(m): 12:35pm On Dec 16, 2011
Godman_n:

Does nairaland have a different criteria for measuring intelligence? Or have your guys been running a kind of IQ test?

You wouldn't understand. So leave it.

You are communicating with probably one of the most intelligent people you will ever be priviledged to ever communicate with but you are not aware of it. grin cool

Just read on NL more to find out.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Godmann(m): 12:50pm On Dec 16, 2011
Sagamite:

You wouldn't understand. So leave it.

You are communicating with probably one of the most intelligent people you will ever be priviledged to ever communicate with but you are not aware of it. grin cool

Just read on NL more to find out.

Man, would definitely like to know and learn from any intelligent mind; let alone of the most intelligent. What have you got to share with a fan of your kind?

Also, will appreciate your thesis on the bad leadership in our country and how to get rid of them; because intelligent people tackle with the most difficult questions; and to me, that is our most important issue now.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by pendo89(f): 12:51pm On Dec 16, 2011
I think its because they love praising themselves and talking big
ok intellect is a quality to be admired and the smart know that. Problem comes when they assume that alone is romantic. They fail to work out the other areas of a relationship and end up becoming sagonerds.
The smart in class need to be street smart as well to be called romantic.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Sagamite(m): 12:54pm On Dec 16, 2011
Godman_n:

Man, would definitely like to know and learn from any intelligent mind; let alone of the most intelligent. What have you got to share with a fan of your kind?

You will just have to visit NL a bit more or check the archives on topics you want.

pendo89:

ok intellect is a quality to be admired and the smart know that. Problem comes when they assume that alone is romantic. They fail to work out the other areas of a relationship and end up becoming sagonerds.

Stop fronting!

If you were not married you will want and be happy with sagonerd with nice skin. tongue grin
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Godmann(m): 12:56pm On Dec 16, 2011
pendo89:

Don't you think what you call smart in the streets can better be classified as frivolities not worthy of attention or that distracts? Intelligent is from God and the uninitiated will never understand it. Geniuses are born not made.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Godmann(m): 12:58pm On Dec 16, 2011
Sagamite:

You will just have to visit NL a bit more or check the archives on topics you want.

Can you direct me to your best topic(discussion), I am very interested
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by jaybee3(m): 12:59pm On Dec 16, 2011
Godman_n:

Can you direct me to your best topic(discussion), I am very interested
You want to measure saga's Intelligence coefficient?
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by pendo89(f): 1:01pm On Dec 16, 2011
@ sag.
See why I used sagonerd? because smbody is one. I have 8 kids & expectant so how can I not be married? undecided
Godman_n:

Don't you think what you call smart in the streets can better be classified as frivolities not worthy of attention or that distracts? Intelligent is from God and the uninitiated will never understand it. Geniuses are born not made.

Okay lemmie be truthful with you here since we dont know each other. You take God out of me and am dead.Simple. I learn a lot here about relationships and stuff. Thing is I try to be balanced not go overboard with my beliefs to the extent that I become irrelevant to the world.
Now I like quoting or referring to real life stuff. So when u hear me say street smart (knowing what goes on about life in general and how to build relationships)its cz av seen both groups of people.The genious and streetsmart.
Both are close friends of mine but one (both a genious and street smart) guides me along. I call him my mentor. The other is the bookworm.
Poor socially,poor in relations,he just cant excel in anything outside books or lab! Wouldnt u rather be knowledgeable in all things
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Godmann(m): 1:02pm On Dec 16, 2011
nite guys. Tot u're serious
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by DeeMain(m): 2:10pm On Dec 16, 2011
Orikinla:

BEING SMART IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM BEING INTELLECTUAL.

Many intellectual people practice sublimation.
They are in fact masters of their emotions since they can create, recreate and dramatize the experiences of life for their various intellectual flights of our existence in a mysterious universe.
To me every relationship is a script to be acted and reenacted for entertainment and enlightenment.

Intellectuals  control their emotions more than non-intellectuals.
Intellectuals are more mature and secure.
Because they are often iconic, heroic and symbolic in their relationships.
They are ruled more by their intellect than by their instinct.

Ever read of Daniel Goldman's Emotional Intelligence? The book is a best seller because many high IQ people (science-inclined, artists, social scientists, business people, artisans) now understand that they have low EQ (Emotional Intelligence). This does not mean it's all.

2ndly: when an intellectual (head-person, logical person, high IQ individual) is in a relationship with an emotional person (heart-person, emotionally intelligent person, high EQ, emotional person) the intellectual person wins all arguments (of course he will, he is a master of logic, facts, justification and analysis). Over the long term the emotional person becomes resentful of being a 'loser' or always being the one at fault, or starts feeling threatened. The effect is he or she sabotages the relationship or goes on the offensive. Conflict ensues. It's self-preservation baby!
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Sagamite(m): 2:25pm On Dec 16, 2011
DeeMain:

Ever read of Daniel Goldman's Emotional Intelligence? The book is a best seller because many high IQ people (science-inclined, artists, social scientists, business people, artisans) now understand that they have low EQ (Emotional Intelligence). This does not mean it's all.

2ndly: when an intellectual (head-person, logical person, high IQ individual) is in a relationship with an emotional person (heart-person, emotionally intelligent person, high EQ individual) the intellectual person wins all arguments (of course he will, he is a master of logic, facts, justification and analysis). Over the long term the emotional person becomes resentful of being a 'loser' or always being the one at fault, or starts feeling threatened. The effect is he or she sabotages the relationship or goes on the offensive. Conflict ensues. It's self-preservation baby!

Honestly couldn't be better said.

I had this issue with exes.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by pendo89(f): 2:32pm On Dec 16, 2011
DeeMain:

2ndly: when an intellectual (head-person, logical person, high IQ individual) is in a relationship with an emotional person (heart-person, emotionally intelligent person, high EQ, emotional person) the intellectual person wins all arguments (of course he will, he is a master of logic, facts, justification and analysis). Over the long term the emotional person becomes resentful of being a 'loser' or always being the one at fault, or starts feeling threatened. The effect is he or she sabotages the relationship or goes on the offensive. Conflict ensues. It's self-preservation baby!

Very Interesting pce of info.

Women are emotional creatures and I think I fall in ur second category ( heart-person and emotional) but I meet some very high IQ people (not many) who argue nonstop.They analyse too much. I just give in so that the debate can stop but that doesnt mean I agree with them.
This unfinished biz crops up in another argument and ends up again without answers. In the end one has a pile of unfinished debates or issues and they start feeling like loosers.It never gets solved!
What a tiring cycle! So this logical,high IQd,factual and emotionless people are a pain in the arse. I prefer one having those attributes but emotional as well for us to connect and understand one another.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Dec 16, 2011
Someone has finally shit bipolar Orinkla up! tongue
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 16, 2011
pendo89:

Very Interesting pce of info.

Women are emotional creatures and I think I fall in your second category ( heart-person and emotional) but I meet some very high IQ people (not many) who argue nonstop.They analyse too much. I just give in so that the debate can stop but that doesnt mean I agree with them.
This unfinished biz crops up in another argument and ends up again without answers. In the end one has a pile of unfinished debates or issues and they start feeling like loosers.It never gets solved!
What a tiring cycle! So this logical,high IQd,factual and emotionless people are a pain in the arse. I prefer one having those attributes but emotional as well for us to connect and understand one another.

Going by that definition I'm not a woman then. Let's be careful about our generalization. Going by exclusion you're saying men are logical creatures which is also a fallacy.

Absolutism is absolutely abhorred in science!
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by pendo89(f): 2:59pm On Dec 16, 2011
michelin89:

Going by that definition I'm not a woman then. Let's be careful about our generalization. Going by exclusion you're saying men are logical creatures which is also a fallacy.

Absolutism is absolutely abhorred in science!

I had that in mind already. An intelligent woman.But aren't u emotional?? undecided cz I am and I hate to call myself silly.

Look his def of an intellectual person >>(head-person, logical person, high IQ individual)

Emotional person >>(heart-person, emotionally intelligent person, high IQ)

You and I know that any sex can fit into any category but I was using myself as an example. Given only the 2 options above I would say I fit into the second.
Know why? cz am a lady a heart person and very emotional at that.
Now by virtue of me belonging in the second group >>emotional person,if am ever going to engage a lover in argument then it will have to be my opposite(an intellectual man) and the first description fits him well.
I therefore understand why u call it fallacy but that aint it.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 16, 2011
No, I'm not an/a very emotional person. undecided
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by pendo89(f): 3:19pm On Dec 16, 2011
michelin89:

No, I'm not an/a very emotional person. undecided

okay then if we were to follow Deemains theory you need an emotional man for ur relationship to stabilise. (assuming u r not in any)
or else u keep hitting the wall. undecided do u belive that?
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Dec 16, 2011
I don't know Deemains but yesterday I totally disgreed on how two intellectuals make a perfect couple. There is a need for a balance!
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Sagamite(m): 3:25pm On Dec 16, 2011
@ michelin89

Hello, honey. I missed you so bad I want to cry.

You have been gone for 15 whole minutes.

Are you ok?

You want me to go to the kitchen and make you some salad.

Oh, baby, come here. I need a hug.

cool
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by pendo89(f): 3:26pm On Dec 16, 2011
but seriously michelin ,u make me think about an aeronautical engineer + a doctor or a mad programmer + electrical engineer
am sure they will come to a compromise if they are both in love.
It happens.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Dec 16, 2011
Sagamite:

@ michelin89

Hello, honey. I missed you so bad I want to cry.

You have been gone for 15 whole minutes.

Are you ok?

You want me to go to the kitchen and make you some salad.

Oh, baby, come here. I need a hug.

cool

I'm a skinny/starved bony girl. Don't want you to break my fragile bones! tongue

pendo89:

but seriously michelin ,u make me think about an aeronautical engineer + a doctor or a mad programmer + electrical engineer
am sure they will come to a compromise if they are both in love.
It happens.

That's the point. There is no compromise in logic. Like someone has already said, it's either true or false and if it's uncertain, then a better theory must be formulated. Have you ever heard a physician or a mathematician teach their students theories that are "uncertain"? Those subjects are just neglected or treated informally.

I am none of those. I knew better than to worsen my situation with such professions. Since I know I'm deficient in the emotional department I surround myself with sensitive and emotional people, because whether I like it or not, common sense applies to emotional thinking, and not to an inflexible approach to matters. But I don't like dunces who think love covereth all. Makes me want to release my atomic bomb self on them.

I am commended for my analytical abilities but not for my way of transmitting the information I have elaborated, for the simple fact that I don't possess an emotional touch.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures Of Busty Women In Hijab. OMO!! (photos) / Malice In Relationships? Your Views: / Does Sucking Of Breast Increases Brest Size?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.