Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,597 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? (17598 Views)

Counter Thread: 10 Reasons Why Nigerian Girls Suck At Relationships / See Signs Your Partner Thinks You Suck In B3d / How A Girl In Romance Section Nearly Soiled My Moniker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by coogar: 6:21pm On Dec 14, 2011
michelin89:

Why are people with great intellect emotional vegetables?

because it takes more than being book-smart to handle romance.
one has to be street-smart!
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Dec 14, 2011
Hmm. . .one simply has to loosen up. Intelligent people often set rather high standards for their partners to meet. Only a fraction can meet these, and this fraction will probably not want to end up with a partner as similar as they are, anywayz. undecided
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by slimyem: 6:58pm On Dec 14, 2011
Mr, Cork:

michel.  Don't mistake niceness for weakness. Growth begins when we begin to accept our own weakness.  True Story!! wink
i'm AWED!
Jump up five times and end it with a clap for yourself. cool cool
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by slimyem: 7:03pm On Dec 14, 2011
@topic,not in all cases.
Have proof of really intelligent chaps who are the kings of romance.
The ones who suck are probably the one who take life too seriously than it really is.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Dynamique: 12:16am On Dec 15, 2011
No generalization,but not all r lyk dat,but am sure if u meet an intellectual individual with a high sense of romance,it wud b a life-time memory,i min if u meet me.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by claremont(m): 12:41am On Dec 15, 2011
Question: Why are people with great intellect emotional vegetables?

Answer: I don't see any documented correlation whatsoever between academic intellect and romantic emotions, I don't see why a person who is academically gifted cannot also be gifted in the art of romance. Since there is no evidence for such a heavy assertion, we might as well dismiss it as a mere bar-room banter. When assertions like these are made, the least whoever is making such an assertion can do is to sign-post some form of objective evidence. but alas, such is not the case in nairaland!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 1:19am On Dec 15, 2011
Mamma mia che rompi che siete. Just answer the question. You are also very right to prove me wrong. smiley
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by maclatunji: 12:09pm On Dec 15, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

Because typically intelligent ppl (esp. Those who are successful) have a keen eye for detail and are competitive by nature. Both qualities are enough to attract the opposite sex however they can also ruin a relationship. Such folks tend to have an ego and are less willing to compromise.

Very well said!
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Ayo79(m): 12:15pm On Dec 15, 2011
and which case study did you gather this fact from? I am an intellectual and I do not suck emotionally, actually the opposite. In lieu of this I will need more lights shed on where the evidence came from.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by maclatunji: 12:26pm On Dec 15, 2011
Ayo79:

and which case study did you gather this fact from? I am an intellectual and I do not suck emotionally, actually the opposite. In lieu of this I will need more lights shed on where the evidence came from.

Google the word 'NERD'!
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by violent(m): 12:35pm On Dec 15, 2011
maclatunji:

Google the word 'NERD'!

Being smart does not make you a NERD. You only become a NERD if you are smart and. . . . socially awkward, completely obsessive, lack confidence, and oblivious to negative perceptions.

You don't have to be a NERD to be smart, and you don't have to be stupiid to have a fulfilling relationship.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by violent(m): 12:36pm On Dec 15, 2011
Ayo79:

what kind of person says "I'm an intellectual"?. . . .is this the proverbial case of the empty barrels?
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by maclatunji: 12:41pm On Dec 15, 2011
violent:

Being smart does not make you a NERD. You only become a NERD if you are smart and. . . . socially awkward, completely obsessive, lack confidence, and oblivious to negative perceptions.

You don't have to be a NERD to be smart, and you don't have to be stupiid to have a fulfilling relationship.

I find that the work it takes to be really smart does tend to make you a NERD, Peter Parker comes to mind here!

I guess you could mention Tony Stark to counter my opinion, abi?
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by violent(m): 12:54pm On Dec 15, 2011
maclatunji:

I find that the work it takes to be really smart does tend to make you a NERD, Peter Parker comes to mind here!

I guess you could mention Tony Stark to counter my opinion, abi?

Sharon Stone is said to have one of the highest IQs on record of people still alive.  I'm sure you will agree she's not exactly the kind of person you'd describe as a NERD.

Many don't really have to put in so much work to be smart, smartness could really be a natural gift.

In addition, NERDS are mostly known to be found in the field of science and mathematics, while in reality, smart people come from any field.  Warren Buffet doesn't spend his time crunching numbers in his head or thinking about the remote possibilities that two isotopes may have the same number of nucleons, and yet, he's arguably one of the smartest people alive.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by duduspace(m): 12:55pm On Dec 15, 2011
I dispute the initial assertion. Its an urban myth.
Having said that, emotional intelligence is very different from logical dexterity and accumulated knowledge.
Wisdom and knowledge aint exactly the same.
You might know that fire burns yet still be silly enough to stick your finger in it.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Ayo79(m): 12:59pm On Dec 15, 2011
maclatunji:

Google the word 'NERD'!

Being very smart, clever, intellectual does not make you a nerd. I think this is why our kids do not want to study anymore because they do not find being clever as cool or attrractive to the opposite sex or appealing to their peers. But in truth being clever is actually very sexy and attractive to the opposite sex especially if you add a twist of swagger to it. So caling intellectuals emotional vegetables is far from the truth.
so you can go ahead and call me a nerd but I can bet I bang more chicks that you will ever dream of.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Kx: 1:03pm On Dec 15, 2011
Are we not generalizing wrongly-so to speak?
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by maclatunji: 1:04pm On Dec 15, 2011
violent:

Sharon Stone is said to have one of the highest IQs on record of people still alive.  I'm sure you will agree she's not exactly the kind of person you'd describe as a NERD.

Many don't really have to put in so much work to be smart, smartness could really be a natural gift.

Sharon Stone ko Rolling Stones ni. The person that did that IQ test has an agenda.  grin

The OP said smart people, she did not say geniuses.  Trust me, even smart people have to work hard to become truly outstanding! That work does tend to drive you to the direction of NERDINESS. It does not mean you cannot be good at relationships or being sociable but it might not come naturally. Remember, when you were in secondary school the not-so-bright students compensated for it with colourful personalities.

The smart ones would just stick-out like sore thumbs because of their brillliance and were tagged "Efico", "Igi-Iwe" and other such names.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by maclatunji: 1:05pm On Dec 15, 2011
There is nothing wrong with being a NERD.

NERDS R COOL

grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by violent(m): 1:07pm On Dec 15, 2011
duduspace:

I dispute the initial assertion, Its an urban myth.
Having said that, emotional intelligence is very different from logical dexterity and accumulated knowledge.
Wisdom and knowledge aint exactly the same.
You might know that fire burns yet still be silly enough to stick your finger in it.

Wisdom itself is abstract, it cannot be proven or measured, it can only be assumed,  . . .and in cases where it's assumed to exist, it's usually a product of the practical application of accumulated knowledge.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by DeeMain(m): 1:14pm On Dec 15, 2011
While all generalizations are wrong, the OP has some points:

First highly intellectual people are mostly logical people. Logic and Emotions don't go too well together. IQ (Intelligence quotient) is not the same as  EQ (Emotional Intelligence quotient).

A strength in academics, career or at work may actually be a weakness in a relationship. Many intellectual people aren't flexible enough to make the transition.

A ''head'' person interprets, analyzes and justifies everything with the head. This will be in serious conflict with matters of the ''heart''. The result: untold conflicts in the relationship.

Unless, an intellectual person has developed enough self-awareness to inculcate emotional maturity,  he will have serious issues with relationships.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by maclatunji: 1:21pm On Dec 15, 2011
DeeMain:

First highly intellectual people are mostly logical people. Logic and Emotions don't go too well together. IQ (Intelligence quotient) is not the same as EQ (Emotional Intelligence quotient).

A strength in academics, career or at work may actually be a weakness in a relationship. Many intellectual people aren't flexible enough to make the transition.

A ''head'' person interprets, analyzes and justifies everything with the head. This will be in serious conflict with matters of the ''heart''. The result: untold conflicts in the relationship.

Unless, an intellectual person has developed enough self-awareness to inculcate emotional maturity, he will have serious issues with relationships.

You see what I am talking about. This person just put everything in proper context, don't be afraid of your Nerdiness- embrace it lovingly and take sometime to do not-so-logical stuff.

Take me as an example; I am here making Mukina2 happy by posting on many of her frontpage threads when I should be 'hard at work'. It is not so logical for productivity in the workplace but I have decided to take some load-off and just chill. However, I can feel the Nerd in me trying to take-over. He should be back in about 2 hours.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Dec 15, 2011
DeeMain:

First highly intellectual people are mostly logical people. Logic and Emotions don't go too well together. IQ (Intelligence quotient) is not the same as  EQ (Emotional Intelligence quotient).

Unless, an intellectual person has developed enough self-awareness to inculcate emotional maturity,  he will have serious issues with relationships.

Thank you! Well said! smiley
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by kbdrim(m): 1:29pm On Dec 15, 2011
DeeMain:

true talk
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Olalekan0(m): 1:31pm On Dec 15, 2011
I can't imagine my partner not being able to engage me in critical and analytical discussions.

Most Nigerian ladies,especially the seemingly pretty ones(albeit artifical) do not even know who their state governors are. All they occupy themselves with is the latest human hair and shoes in vogue and when you attempt to enlighten them,they tag you as being boring.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by violent(m): 1:43pm On Dec 15, 2011
DeeMain:

I disagree with this point of view (as usual).  Emotion itself is entirely driven by intellect.  Everything you feel, you feel because you are who you are, and who you are itself is a product of your thoughts and intelligence.  Someone's emotional template (who they are and how they respond to the world) could be viewed as an intellectual template because intellect is understanding real things and your emotions determines what it is that you process and how you process them.

As an example, Intelligent people do have se[i]x [/i]ual drive, a natural reaction to their response to the external world.  Intelligent people still think of boo[i]b[/i]s, or[i]g[/i]ies, getting laid, blond girl, hot panties. . . . .they process this with their emotions and their body respond accordingly.

Intelligent people still feel sad when a relative dies.  They think (intellect at work) of the loss of friendship and relationship and their body responds (emotion at work) by shedding tears and sobbing.

Being an intellectual does not, and should not make you a GEEK.  Both are two separable terms.   

Intellectuals don't necessarily think about academics and work all the time, only GEEKS do.  Intellectuals can sit and have a normal conversation with the average Joe, GEEKS can't. Intellectuals do fall in love, can think with their heart and can ultimately keep a relationship, GEEKS may find it difficult to do so.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Amya(f): 1:46pm On Dec 15, 2011
Intellectuals a not inept at romance. What is true however is that they are highly turned on in a different way i.e through mental stimulation. They view romance in a different light from the regulars, and do it differently too. You can get there attention from having intellectual discussions with them.
A perfect romantic date would be say going to a book fair or seminar with their relevant others rather than to movies or where regular blokes go to.

This simply means an intellectual and another intellectual would have a perfect romantic life.

An intellectual + regular/ dumb= NO!
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 15, 2011
Amya:

This simply means an intellectual and another intellectual would have a perfect romantic life.

An intellectual + regular/ dumb= NO!

You are kidding me. They'd have the most horrible relationship. We'r not talking about attraction, but about relationships.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by chibaby5(f): 1:58pm On Dec 15, 2011
Attention is primarily on other substantial things
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by MissyB3(f): 2:05pm On Dec 15, 2011
I do hope we are not, in any way, making the mistake of insinuating that people who are romantic by nature are ''regular''(whatever that's supposed to mean)/dumb?

They'd have the most horrible relationship. We'r not talking about attraction, but about relationships.
Because?
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by violent(m): 2:07pm On Dec 15, 2011
I also implore you all to leave the assumption that smartness only exist in that damned world of science and mathematics.  Take a quick trip to the world of arts and literature and you may find that some of the world's smartest men wrote some of the best romantic lines ever.  A quick example will be Shakespeare.  Others exhibited the emotional and romantic sides of themselves with astonishing paintings.  an example will be Richard Parkes Bonington,  . .Yet, less dramatic others wrote some of the world famous song lines.

Who says intellect and emotions don't mix?  If you read some Shakespearean romantic lines, you will quickly dismiss your assumptions that a man that thinks with his head is incapable of thinking with his heart.  Shakespeare will arguably have one of the highest IQs in the history of the world.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by maclatunji: 2:11pm On Dec 15, 2011
In case you are reading this and are wondering- "Am I a Nerd?" Well, look no further because we have a test for you to prove your Nerdiness or otherwise.

I just took it and I have been decalred a "Cool Non-Nerd". grin

Take your own test here http://www.nerdtests.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

When Did You Decide Your Relationship Was Over? / Malice In Relationships? Your Views: / Does Sucking Of Breast Increases Brest Size?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.