Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,680 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? (17599 Views)

Counter Thread: 10 Reasons Why Nigerian Girls Suck At Relationships / See Signs Your Partner Thinks You Suck In B3d / How A Girl In Romance Section Nearly Soiled My Moniker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 15, 2011
Missy_B:

I do hope we are not, in any way, making the mistake of insinuating that people who are romantic by nature are ''regular''(whatever that's supposed to mean)/dumb?
Because?

Think of two people who rationalize every situation. They lack spontaneity, impulsiveness, those things that make love so painfully lovely. Sometimes love hurts and yeah, playing the fool is the only one to endure and work things out.

I'm not saying romantic people are regular, but emotions wise, they are more intelligent.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by MARKREN: 2:24pm On Dec 15, 2011
Agree. Fall into that category,

I know others like that too.

People seem to forget that not everyone is cut-off for the hide and seek that goes on in relationships
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by maclatunji: 2:33pm On Dec 15, 2011
MARK-REN:

People seem to forget that not everyone is cut-off for the hide and seek that goes on in relationships

Laughing and applauding the bolded!
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by MARKREN: 2:43pm On Dec 15, 2011

People seem to forget that not everyone is cut-out for the hide and seek that goes on in relationships
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Wallie(m): 2:51pm On Dec 15, 2011
Because they mostly try to solve romance and every other issue logically. It is extremely difficult for a logical person to see eye-to-eye with an emotional person. Logical people tend to come across as being cold and resolute but that does not mean that they’re emotionally unavailable.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Dec 15, 2011
Wallie:

Because they mostly try to solve romance and every other issue logically. It is extremely difficult for a logical person to see eye-to-eye with an emotional person. Logical people tend to come across as being cold and resolute but that does not mean that they’re emotionally unavailable.

Agree!
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by MARKREN: 3:10pm On Dec 15, 2011
@ Wallie

Agree.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Amya(f): 3:17pm On Dec 15, 2011
michelin89:

You are kidding me. They'd have the most horrible relationship. We'r not talking about attraction, but about relationships.

horrible to those that look in. But to them, that's the perfect romance.

BTW, what's your definition of romance.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 15, 2011
Love of and curiousity of the unknown. grin

I am curious about the unknown but I don't like it!
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Beync(f): 3:35pm On Dec 15, 2011
some intelligent fellow  can be too logical and analitical
not saying is not a good thing to be but bringing it on much inrelationship
not knowing when to draw line bwt IQ and relationship can bring hindrance

Btw, good number of very intelligent people can be shrewd in spending, infact stingy grin
Money must be judiciously spent, no extras lol. not saying that is bad though but sucks some times
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Wallie(m): 3:58pm On Dec 15, 2011
When push comes to shove and an emotional person is standing his/her ground, the logical person will and should compromise realizing that losing one emotional battle is worth the relationship.

Logical people also have to recognize that when asked for their opinion regarding an emotional issue between their significant other and a third party, it may be best not to respond because your significant other will accuse you of not taking his/her side.

Lastly, logical reasoning almost always trumps emotional reasoning, which means that logical people are almost always right when arguing with emotional people. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Dec 15, 2011
violent:

I also implore you all to leave the assumption that smartness only exist in that damned world of science and mathematics.  Take a quick trip to the world of arts and literature and you may find that some of the world's smartest men wrote some of the best romantic lines ever.  A quick example will be Shakespeare.  Others exhibited the emotional and romantic sides of themselves with astonishing paintings.  an example will be Richard Parkes Bonington,  . .Yet, less dramatic others wrote some of the world famous song lines.

Who says intellect and emotions don't mix?  If you read some Shakespearean romantic lines, you will quickly dismiss your assumptions that a man that thinks with his head is incapable of thinking with his heart.  Shakespeare will arguably have one of the highest IQs in the history of the world.

well-said. I had a hard time believing that. . .but, really, its truth is undisputed
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 15, 2011
Your post is so stuuupid it was tagged as spam. Such a pity other posters who share the same view with me won't get to read your nonsense.

And plese never in your life insult me again, considering the nonsensical threads you go posting around the forum. You rarely make sense. Oh! Do I forget about your brags? Like who cares if you date models and dine with Genevieve? cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by solomon111(m): 5:00pm On Dec 15, 2011
I think the reason is that the intellectual has seen that being logical is far better than being emotional driven.His daily activities is a proof that some of the most shallow people in the world are very emotional.He has seen that if everybody were very emotional,the world would still remain where it was 3000 yrs ago.The people that call the shots in the world today are very logical and may have consciously unconsciously surpressed their emotions,which is why they have remain relevant.I have always maintained that the best relathonships are always between two intellectuals,they flow together intellectually,no-one is left behind in their discussions,and they tend to achieve much in relatively short time.Unfortunately very few ladies have an acceptable level of I.Q to have a successful relationship with an intellectually gifted individual(no offence).
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Dec 15, 2011
solomon111:

I think the reason is that the intellectual has seen that being logical is far better than being emotional driven.His daily activities is a proof that some of the most shallow people in the world are very emotional.He has seen that if everybody were very emotional,the world would still remain where it was 3000 yrs ago.The people that call the shots in the world today are very logical and may have consciously unconsciously surpressed their emotions,which is why they have remain relevant.I have always maintained that the best relathonships are always between two intellectuals,they flow together intellectually,no-one is left behind in their discussions,and they tend to achieve much in relatively short time.Unfortunately very few ladies have an acceptable level of I.Q to have a successful relationship with an intellectually gifted individual(no offence).

You were making sense until the hightlighted part. What has gender got to do with intelligence?
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Damalex4luv(m): 5:07pm On Dec 15, 2011
I think most do sometimes bt it do really depends on dre mood dt night dey are having the fun.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by solomon111(m): 5:12pm On Dec 15, 2011
michelin89:

You were making sense until the hightlighted part. What has gender got to do with intelligence?
I am very sorry if I sound like a 'sexist'.That was not my intention.It is just that I have seen more relationships fail because the man was too 'intelligent',even though i agree that it goes both ways.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 15, 2011
@ solomon

I think women just end up settling for the "best" they can find. Besides that's what submissiveness is all about.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by solomon111(m): 5:29pm On Dec 15, 2011
michelin89:

@ solomon

I think women just end up settling for the "best" they can find. Besides that's what submissiveness is all about.
Yes you are right,especially in africa.But things are changing though.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 15, 2011
solomon111:

I am very sorry if I sound like a 'sexist'.That was not my intention.It is just that I have seen more relationships fail because the man was too 'intelligent',even though i agree that it goes both ways.
By "intelligent" u mean a player or a cheat? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided Anyway,same goes for d men who r often referred to as MAGAS or MUGUS! cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Sike(m): 5:50pm On Dec 15, 2011
All noted and Bookmarked!
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by solomon111(m): 5:59pm On Dec 15, 2011
@kimberluge
When i mean intelligent,i mean seeing the world from a perspective that differs 4rm making love everyday of the week, having unneccessary dates,wasting time in different cinemas in the lagos,wasting money buying blackberries&brazillian hair,spending time talking swt nonsense,instead of investing in their future.
As 4 those ladies that play men,their case are usually pathetic because they would have wasted their time playing away the right guys and end up with a moronic douche-bag,who does not know how strategize 4, 2moro and only wants to have fun, at the end of the day.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by dayokanu(m): 6:09pm On Dec 15, 2011
OP are you referring to Seun Osewa?
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Ezeufi: 7:16pm On Dec 15, 2011
I don't if this is true, but I would imagine that because of their earning potential, intellectuals tend to have far too many options with regard to love life. Anyone in that situation wouldn't see the neccessity of being a champion of romance.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Orikinla(m): 8:35pm On Dec 15, 2011
BEING SMART IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM BEING INTELLECTUAL.

Many intellectual people practice sublimation.
They are in fact masters of their emotions since they can create, recreate and dramatize the experiences of life for their various intellectual flights of our existence in a mysterious universe.
To me every relationship is a script to be acted and reenacted for entertainment and enlightenment.

Intellectuals  control their emotions more than non-intellectuals.
Intellectuals are more mature and secure.
Because they are often iconic, heroic and symbolic in their relationships.
They are ruled more by their intellect than by their instinct.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Sagamite(m): 9:39pm On Dec 15, 2011
michelin89:

Why are people with great intellect emotional vegetables?

Shut up!

What are you trying to say? What are you trying to say?

Why the "personal attacks"?

Anuofia! tongue grin grin
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 15, 2011
Sorry Spinachmite! tongue tongue tongue
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by seedord247(m): 10:01pm On Dec 15, 2011
Because they were never born too be. . .

I.e Seun (Ceo Of NL) so many Girls don try make dem get am all prove avail.
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by Sagamite(m): 10:03pm On Dec 15, 2011
michelin89:

Sorry Spinachmite! tongue tongue tongue
tongue grin
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by ceejayluv(m): 12:17am On Dec 16, 2011
Lookin 4 a 'nerd'? Here's one! I'm not exactly a core nerd, ( at least not like Steve of Family Matters) i would say i'm a nerdy/cool hybrid- A liberal Geek! but i know what goes on in a nerd's mind.  We can be so logical to a fault. And yes, plotting to nail a chic is hardly in our priority list. (with hundreds of unsolved math puzzles and programming languages to master? There's no time for that!). In logic, its either 'true' or 'false', 1 or 0. If we manage to ask a gal out and she no gree, na so! We aint giving her a second shot. A nerd can miss a date cos of an IQ test!! As some1 rightly pointed out, we tend to b obsessive - Philip Emeagwali was so obsessed with his super computer research, he proposed to his girlfriend in the middle of a (supposedly scientific) discussion by saying "by the way, lets get Married",  , Bill Gates is a quintessential nerd. with all his billions, he didn't bother to go  outside his company to find a wife- im no wan stress himself!
Who else would sit down for months developing advanced social network algorithms just for fun if not for a downright nerd? In an interview, Mitchelle Obama admitted that Barack was so lame on their first date. Nerdy ambitions surely take a toll on the geek's social and romantic life.  Only a nerdy girl can understand and cope with a nerdy guy,
Re: Why Do Very Smart (intellectual) People Suck In Romance? by tarano: 12:45am On Dec 16, 2011
Guys in the Techworld - IT, Aerospace guys, Capital Market pundits are nerds, geeks, Ask Mark Zuckerberg, Xiaofeng Peng, John Arnold, Larry Page, Sergey Brin, Steve Jobs, there are many more like that not all are successful but they are definitely obsessive with something everybody think is nothing,

Have u seen Larry Page pics that guy is a nerd and a geek, definitely not stupid,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

When Did You Decide Your Relationship Was Over? / Malice In Relationships? Your Views: / Does Sucking Of Breast Increases Brest Size?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.