Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,065 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:12 AM

Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update (42304 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Ejine(m): 4:54pm On Dec 17, 2011
Where is Eko Ile, though? sad
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by sartorius(m): 4:59pm On Dec 17, 2011
Lagos state goverment paid LCC several billions because the tollection was postponed. Election was on his mind, however these is criminal, I suggest it shud be brought down to 50 naira .
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by POTUT(m): 5:02pm On Dec 17, 2011
sartorius:

Lagos state goverment paid LCC several billions because the tollection was postponed. Election was on his mind, however these is criminal, I suggest it shud be brought down to 50 naira .

After bringing it down to 50 naira, do we still maintain 3 tolls over a 20km stretch?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 5:05pm On Dec 17, 2011
OCUPPY LEKKI, We need more supporters daily, Not enough to resolve to paper tiger approach
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ugotuf(m): 5:07pm On Dec 17, 2011
It is a shame,imagine what the LEADER is doing to the led
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by phantom(m): 5:08pm On Dec 17, 2011
^ eko ile is probably hiding, doesnt have the balls to show up at the protest ground to defend his GOD lest they forget a bottle on his thick skull neither does he have the balls to show up on nairaland and post crap,
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Onyocha: 5:09pm On Dec 17, 2011
kingk:

I have a home made RDX with self made wireless detonator. I want that toll down and I need suporters cos if our Government don't want it in peace, then I think it's high time we go in pieces let's make happen peeps NOTE this is not BOKO
But HARAM feel free let me have your opinion on genrik@yahoo.com

PLEASE JUST MAKE SURE IF YOU'RE BLOWING IT UP DO IT IN THE DEAD OF THE NIGHT WHEN PEOPLE ARE NOT PRESENT THERE.WE DO NOT WANT EXPLOSIONS TO KILL PEOPLE LIKE THAT!TAKE NOTE INNOCENT WORKERS RUN THE TOLL GATES.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by POTUT(m): 5:13pm On Dec 17, 2011
Posted by: LeoMax
Insert Quote
OCUPPY LEKKI, We need more supporters daily, Not enough to resolve to paper tiger approach

Where can we find the plan for sustained protest? I actually thought it was going to be tomorrow and had cancelled all my outing plans and was prepared to take okada to that place.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by LeMoor(m): 5:17pm On Dec 17, 2011
guysmat:

Lekki Toll gate Statistics:

Let's say you own an SUV and live on the other end of Lekki where you'd have to pass thru the 3 toll gates,

1 SUV x N150 x 3 tolling booths = N450.00  (almost $3 USD)

If you go to work in the morning and come back in the evening,  = 2 x N450.00 = N900.00

If you have to do this everyday of the month, then you'll be paying 30day x N900.00 = N27,000.00   cry   cry

Assuming everything remains constant for the year,
you'll be paying 12 months x N27,000.00 = N324,000.00 (or $2076) annually for just one car  shocked  shocked  shocked  embarassed  embarassed  undecided  undecided

And this is supposed to go on for the next 35 years       Who signed this agreement     cry  angry  

And this is per individual, Take the average household, that has more than one care, and the figure you have is easily doubled.
And lets not forget, this prices will not remain static forever, they will be reviewed upward sometime (or would that be multiple times) in the future.

Not a well thought out plan.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 5:19pm On Dec 17, 2011
You can come around tomorrow. Tomorrow is when the real action begins. We have tents ready to pitch.  We want to prove to them that there is no viable alternative route, cos if there is, tomorrow all vehicular traffic will test that testament.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by doctorbabs(m): 5:21pm On Dec 17, 2011
SORRY PEOPLE OF LAGOS STATE, WE ARE ALL DISAPPOINTING IN FASHOLA FOR INFLICTING HARDSHIP ON PEOPLE THAT VOTED HIM IN MASSIVELY, HE REALLY WARNED US BUT WE FORCED HIM FOR SECOND TERM, HE DOESN'T WANT IT. HE SAID  IS ONLY PEOPLE THAT FAILED THAT REPEAT A CLASS< CAN WE SEE NOW THAT THE GUY HAS LOST THE MAGIC WAND. FASHOLA HAS FAILED BY REPEATING CLASS. FASHOLA HAS FAILED , LAGOS IS NO LONGER WORKING. POSTERITY WE JUDGE HIM
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by doctorbabs(m): 5:24pm On Dec 17, 2011
let the revolution start from there
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 5:26pm On Dec 17, 2011
If Lagosians dont come out enmasse to OCCUPY LEKKI, it will prove to BAT/BRF Cabal that Lagosians can be taken for granted. THey are not satisfied with seizing our waterfronts and their stakes in Shoprite, Hitech, Oriental Hotel, IGR of Lagos State , 10% belongs to BAT/BRF via AlphaBeta company which they own. I need this toll-gate burnt down !!!!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 5:29pm On Dec 17, 2011
I was at the Protest venue this morning, I think the occupy Lekki protesters allowed the protest to be hijacked by PDP people (if the protest was not initially bankrolled by Bode George). Commodore Olabode George had said he'll lead the protest in the dailies during the week,

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/politics/32784-i-will-lead-protest-against-lekki-epe-tollgate-bode-george

I guess Bode George knew it will fail hence he stayed away leaving Mr. Tola Animashaun (The defeated PDP Senatorial candidate) to lead the protest. The Peaceful protest turned violent when the protesters aving waited since 8am till 10.am with less than 2,000 people in their ranks got angry and were trying to force motorist to join in their campaign to increase the number.

The police did not molest them until the protesters started to force motorist to join them as usual of Nigerian protesters. (Must everyone join them in a cause they don’t believe in or have time for) That was when the police intervened to make conduct themselves peacefully. A protester moved forward to slap a policeman in d process for daring to them. This you can confirm from Simon Orukpe of Nigeria Info 99.30 he even reported it live on their station.‎it was then the police used tear gas canister.I didn't see any ACN thugs throughout. We are in a technology age let them post the picture of where the thugs started d crisis, This is when the blocked the toll gate preventing us from moving/using d road. This is not civil at all.

We all had to use the alternative route which the protesters said was not in place
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 5:29pm On Dec 17, 2011
Are we saying here that not even half of those protesting have charged mobile phones able to collect images and videos of this protest?? WOW . . ,  What a shame!!!

Please stop calling this Occupy Lekki . . .   more like hangout lekki. Did the organizers not think that the Fash-Boys will do their own leg work in all this? Images and spins from the Fashola angle is already flooding the internet . . . . See, even his BOYS are out spinning and Advertising as always. grin
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by VoodooDoll(m): 5:30pm On Dec 17, 2011
And the assault on the masses continues.  Left, right and centre, the common man is being pushed and shoved.

Well, it is all divide and conquer.  ACN will come out and make their excuses, probably blame some people.

When rainy season comes then the fun begins - with the "alternate route" clogged and the "toll road" not doing much better.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 5:33pm On Dec 17, 2011
VoodooDoll:

And the assault on the masses continues.  Left, right and centre, the common man is being pushed and shoved.

Well, it is all divide and conquer.  ACN will come out and make their excuses, probably blame some people.

When rainy season comes then the fun begins - with the "alternate route" clogged and the "toll road" not doing much better.

OH!! The common man expected this all to go down easy? Wait till tomorrow when we read the dailies oooh. You go see say the Governor has employed his praise singers to sing glory of how it all went down on his behalf in there too. I will not be shocked if at the end of all this, all of Lagos will be singing "Eko O ni baje" as they hunt those who tried to protests against his sweetness down to kill em . . . ROFLMAO!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Beaf: 5:37pm On Dec 17, 2011
Ejiné:

Where is Eko Ile, though? sad

Most likely under the influence of gbana, running around with Gbawe, leading OPC to beat up protesters.

Saturday, 17 December 2011 14:19
[size=16pt]One feared dead as police, thugs brutalise Lekki protesters[/size]
Written by  Agency reporter

Lekki Phase one gate 20mins ago

One person is feared dead and others injured following the brutal crackdown by policemen and thugs on Nigerians protesting the proposed imposition of tolls on users of Lekki Expressway.

The tolls are expected to take effect from Sunday, December 18.

The protest march, which took off peacefully on Saturday morning, was brutally interrupted by armed policemen and thugs allegedly hired by officials of the state government.

Journalists were also attacked while protesters were clamped into Black Maria vans.

More details later.

http://www.punchng.com/index.php/news/item/8000-one-feared-dead-as-police-thugs-brutalise-lekki-protesters

Pic from daily times:

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by abhosts(m): 5:39pm On Dec 17, 2011
As a Lekki Resident myself, I think folks are being too hard on Fashola. An alternative route has already been provided for the First toll gate and it only takes about 5 mins extra to ply. An alternative route is presently being mapped out for the second toll gate at Chevron and toll collection would not commence there until that road is complete.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 5:40pm On Dec 17, 2011
abhosts:

As a Lekki Resident myself, I think folks are being too hard on Fashola. An alternative route has already been provided for the First toll gate and it only takes about 5 mins extra to ply. An alternative route is presently being mapped out for the second toll gate at Chevron and toll collection would not commence there until that road is complete.

Really? An Alternative route which has been in existence has been PROVIDED? Do you know what the word PROVIDED implies, especially when it comes to government? Please lets sort of say SUGGESTED but definitely the word PROVIDED does not seem to work in this case.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 5:46pm On Dec 17, 2011
SHAME ON YOU ALL THAT IS AGAINST THE TOLL GATE. NIGERIANS WANT THE BEST & THEY ARE NOT READY TO PAY FOR IT. I LIVED IN LEKKI & THAT ROAD WAS A MESS & IF GOVT DID NOT FIX IT PEOPLE WILL BE SCREAMING,NOW THEY DID & ASK YOU TO PAY,IT BECOMES A PROBLEM. I KNOW HOW MUCH PEOPLE SPEND IN UTILITY BILLS IN ALL THOSE PRIVATE ESTATES IN LEKKI & IF YOU FAIL TO PAY, THEY'LL CUT YOU OFF, BUT THESE SAME PEOPLE WILL BE RELUCTANT TO PAY WATER & ELECTRICITY BILLS WHEN ITS BEEN PROVIDED BY GOVT. THIS PROTEST IS A MISPLACED PRIORITY, THEY SHOULD NEGOTIATE WITH GOVT TO REDUCE THE NUMBER OF TOLL GATES ON THAT ROAD & THE CHARGES. BUT SAYING NO TOLL GATE, IS A BS, THESE SAME PEOPLE WILL NOT BE THERE TO PROTEST ABOUT FUEL SUSBSIDY REMOVAL. CONFUSED CITIZENS.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by abhosts(m): 5:49pm On Dec 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Really? An Alternative route which has been in existence has been PROVIDED? Do you know what the word PROVIDED implies, especially when it comes to government? Please lets sort of say SUGGESTED but definitely the word PROVIDED does not seem to work in this case.

Yes, the alternative route to the first toll gate has been active for over 12 months now! The road connects you to VI or back to the Main Road(Privatized Road), after the toll gate.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by jmaine: 5:51pm On Dec 17, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

SHAME ON YOU ALL THAT IS AGAINST THE TOLL GATE. NIGERIANS WANT THE BEST & THEY ARE NOT READY TO PAY FOR IT. I LIVED IN LEKKI & THAT ROAD WAS A MESS & IF GOVT DID NOT FIX IT PEOPLE WILL BE SCREAMING,NOW THEY DID & ASK YOU TO PAY,IT BECOMES A PROBLEM. I KNOW HOW MUCH PEOPLE SPEND IN UTILITY BILLS IN ALL THOSE PRIVATE ESTATES IN LEKKI & IF YOU FAIL TO PAY, THEY'LL CUT YOU OFF, BUT THESE SAME PEOPLE WILL BE RELUCTANT TO PAY WATER & ELECTRICITY BILLS WHEN ITS BEEN PROVIDED BY GOVT. THIS PROTEST IS A MISPLACED PRIORITY, THEY SHOULD NEGOTIATE WITH GOVT TO REDUCE THE NUMBER OF TOLL GATES ON THAT ROAD & THE CHARGES. BUT SAYING NO TOLL GATE, IS A BS, THESE SAME PEOPLE WILL NOT BE THERE TO PROTEST ABOUT FUEL SUSBSIDY REMOVAL. CONFUSED CITIZENS.

The same dude that was asking for a revolution on removal of fuel subsidy . .still had the confidence, boldness and temerity to post this pile of rubbish above . .Fvcking disgrace
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 5:53pm On Dec 17, 2011
abhosts:

Yes, the alternative route to the first toll gate has been active for over 12 months now! The road connects you to VI or back to the Main Road, after the toll gate.

Wrong!!
Kobojunkie:

The road has been in use long before these protests began . . . according to information I have gathered on it. So, what you have there is wrong.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Ayoolu12: 5:54pm On Dec 17, 2011
I do support the tolling even though i believe that the fee is too high. We Nigerians need to learn that good things do not come cheap. If you want good roads, be ready to pay for them. In London, transport for London charges ridiculous amounts for travel to central London (the equivalent of Lekki), butit works smoothly (almost always).
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 5:55pm On Dec 17, 2011
Anybody can be on the floor!!! A bullet victim without a blood stain anywhere?, not even on the floor. Pour water on this man I bet he'll wake up. I think he is playing the footballer (in the box 18) pranks. He must have slumped or he was hungry after standing for 3hrs without even gala or pure water from the people that hired him to from agege to come and protest, let anyone give me the full picture up to the leg and I'll bellieve you and apologise if you show us where bullet hits him.

I must say this is what I call UnCoordinated Propaganda by the Bode George machine!!! here are the Picture I took at the sccene wt time,
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by fe32(m): 5:57pm On Dec 17, 2011
pics
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 5:57pm On Dec 17, 2011
The Pictures here>>>>

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by abhosts(m): 5:57pm On Dec 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Wrong!!
The road has been in use long before these protests began . . . according to information I have gathered on it. So, what you have there is wrong.

I Live in Lekki and I ply the alternative road regularly. I don't need to argue with you.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by fe32(m): 5:58pm On Dec 17, 2011
pics

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 5:59pm On Dec 17, 2011
Lekki residents are coming out to protest becomes this very one directly affects them. They should quit looking @ the wrong direction pls! Fed Govt have been rolling out wrong policies & you can only hear them complain in thier various offices, (COWARDS),but they can't take to the streets to challenge the Fed Govt that has kept Nigeria down. However, the highway toll gates will soon be operational, they will not come out to protest, cos some of them will ask you " I DON'T PLY THE HIGHWAYS", therefore, he or she will not be bothered. Nigerians are COWARDS, I wish they can sustain the PROTEST in everything. Mark my words, NONE OF THESE GUYS WILL LEAVE HIS OFFICE TO PROTEST ON WORKING DAYZ,cos HE CARES SO MUCH ABOUT HIS STOMACH, IT WILL FADE AWAY by Monday. Nigerians can't do NATING. This protest would have been in place from the time they wanted to build the toll plaza, but, coming to protest when TOLL GATE is already functional is a WASTE of TIME & ENERGY. I trust Naija police, when they kill two people, wives will be calling their husbands " pls come back oooooo!!! " I will be giving you money to pay them, we have kids to raise. END of DISCUSSION ( EOD).
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by kingk(m): 6:00pm On Dec 17, 2011
Lagosians let's do it like the libyan, then to hell with any suportting NUTRW staffs LAGOSIANS remember I we fail for them, we've failed in all I wount be suprise if badagry express will have toll too. EKO TI BAJE Oh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Niger Delta Avengers Guerrilla Methods A Nightmare To The Military - Daily Trust / Osinbajo Inspects The Statues Constructed By Okorocha In Imo (Photos) / From Spaghetti To Egg – How Buhari Government Changed Nigerians’ Dining Tables

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.