Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,770 members, 7,831,476 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update (42359 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aloyemeka1: 7:21pm On Dec 17, 2011
psalmizt:

I am always baffled when ppl keep saying that Fashola has made giant strides in Lagos, mtsheuwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. In a country where mediocrity is celebrated I will say yes. The only thing I know Fashola and his ACN cohorts have done is to increase the revenue stream for the state govt. Come to VI and you 'll see the worst roads in Nigeria and that is the richest local govt we are talking about. The point about this LCC/HITECH is that, d govt is not being truthful, how on earth can put a toll on the only route in and out of a place and them slam it on them such that they have no choice. Do you Lord it over your own ppl? Let there be an audit of LCC's books and we will see that it is only an avenue for some ppl to launder public funds,  That was how a simple link bridge from ozumba to falomo bridge was built with 25billion Naira (Not sure of the figure but it is in this range),
It is only a matter of time, OCCUPY NAIJA will kick in full swing

Question 1: Do you know if Lagos state is collecting enough revenue to fix their high traffic roads or do you want Fashola to fix the roads with his preek?.
Question 2: How many people are actually paying taxes due to them in Lagos state?

Question 3: If the road has alternative routes, why protest about the toll on the new road?. Should every amenity be free?.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:22pm On Dec 17, 2011
aloy/emeka:

So it is alright the way the Syrian leader is killing protesters in his country?. So it was okay the way Ghadaffi killed protesters in Libya?. So it was okay the way Abacha wiped out many Yoruba elites who questioned him about June 12 annulment and his dictatorship?.

Killing is different from dispersing the protesters. Get your facts right.

You cannot compare this minor protest to those u mentioned

jmaine:

To those freaking liars . . .what do you have to say about the STV camera that was beaten and his camera seized by paid ACN thugs, was he also trying to force people to join the protest while covering  . .You guyz need to update your propaganda skillz . . .imagine the useless Fashola spokes person saying that the hoodlums who were unfortunately protected by the police sent by the same government were probably PDP paid thugs . .

I never knew the PDP and the ACN do have a common share in the toll gate saga . .

What a fool . . .

What !!!!! STV camera man beating by who ? Fashola or who exactly ?

What protest is there in the world that people are not manhandled ?

Once you protest against the government, get ready for the consequences.

Moreover, this is the Nigerian police we are talking about not a well civilized police force

Yes ACN is not different from PDP. Fact
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by phantom(m): 7:23pm On Dec 17, 2011
@skii , so in actual fact the alternative is a 'coincident' alternative and not what govt planned to provide initially?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by jmaine: 7:23pm On Dec 17, 2011
phantom:

Lol, just saw kate henshaw on stv raking with her neck veins dilated, men, people are really pissed o!

So you saw it too  grin . .the lady para no be small especially after being the face of the Lagos state tax drive via T.V jingles  cheesy  . . heard she was even brutalized also  embarassed  . .
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 17, 2011
No Tolls Please, we are already fenced, prison style
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 7:26pm On Dec 17, 2011
Not tolls

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:26pm On Dec 17, 2011
psalmizt:

Honestly I wonder waht planet you re from? How much of that lekki road was created? Was that road not in existence before LCC tushed it up? Really the only i see there is the toll gate, every other thing on that road is just ordinary.  Tell me why the citizenry can not just enjoy a common thing from the govt,  A road that was not built over swampy terrain like the Naija Delta neither was a bridge constructed over dangerous waters the govt concessioned to a private organization,  Come on ppl should think straight here,  PPP are in place when the cost of fixing the road is so much burden for the govt,  Soon someone will tell me that Abuja Lokajo should be tolled just like the east west road in the South SOuth,  The truth is that lagos state govt is [size=15pt]IRRESPONSIBLE[/size] as in the case of LASU,

I see your point but Lekki is an expensive area and as such the people that live there are the high and might of the society.

In recent years, more people have being moving their and as such the toll gate is a form of deterring people from moving there.

Lagos state is losing land fast and at the current level of urbanisation, it does not take a prophet to know that within 50 years, there would be no land left in Lagos.

Look at it as a form of tax basically.

But I want to make it clear, 3 toll gates is pushing it. I would rather it is just 1 toll gate.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 7:27pm On Dec 17, 2011
@ Psalmitz, Do not be surprise when they SCREAM about Fashola & his GAINT STRIDES. That's Nigerians for you, THEY LOVE HEADLINES. They do NOT ask QUESTIONS or view issues  CRITICALLY &OBJECTIVELY. When Obasanjo handpicked Yar'adua,for his own SELFISH interest, Nigerians, failed to ask questions about his LEGACIES & HEALTH CONDITIONS. Rather, they were carried away with newspapers HEADLINES of how  HONEST he is and he turned Katsina to ELDORADO & it's all LIES. When his HEALTH began to fail, Nigerians began to MAKE NOISE. Too little,too late.

When Jonathan said he will run for President. People failed to be OBJECTIVE & did not ask questions about Jonathan. Wikileaks reported him telling the then US ambassador to Nigeria, that he's not capable of leading Nigeria. People did not ask, what LEGACY did Jonathan leave in Bayelsa as a Governor? Rather, we were carried away with SOUTH & MINORITY sentiments.

Jonathan became the president, presently, Nigerians are MAD @ him cos THE CHICKEN HAVE COME HOME TO ROOST. They REGRETTED voting for him. Why now? cos they failed to look beyond the NEWSPAPER HEADLINES.

Why is that Nigerians are not protesting against SUBSIDY REMOVAL?? Cos Jonathan never promised to remove it when he was contesting for the president. It's a BREACH of TRUST.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by philip0906(m): 7:27pm On Dec 17, 2011
Remii:

Honestly I feel very sad today for voting for Fasola. How can he mobilize maximum force against enlightened protestants. People who carried only placards and just dancing, did not even call govt names or insult anyone.

These same Tinubu, Fasola,  &co protested against Abacha under NADECO. It is a shame.

Even uniformed policemen almost out numbered the protesting crowd, not to talk of secret agents pretending to be among the crowd.

This is really sad.
muhehehe. . .Y regret?I thought Superman Fashola was d best thing to happen to Nigeria?D flower planting gominor has probably fed d brains of peeps like eko ile and many deluded Lagosians(his praise singers) to Tinubu's gods  grin grin grin
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 17, 2011
With the way things are going i.e tolling of roads, ban on okada and removal of fuel subsidy. people should start selling their cars, suvs and move to other sustainable means of transport like e.g bicycle.  grin
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 7:28pm On Dec 17, 2011
alj_harem:

I see your point but Lekki is an expensive area and as such the people that live there are the high and might of the society.

Please stop with the moronic ramblings already. The vast majority of those who live in Lekki are NOT RICH.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ocheejemb: 7:29pm On Dec 17, 2011
All i'll say is as a protester in Nigeria, you face not only a brutal police/army force that doesnt care about the well being of the citizenty, but also thugs who will use the opportunity to do as they please. You cant blame Fashola or ACN for either of these. Kudos to the Protesters though, its good to voice out your opinions instead of sitting there grumbling
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:29pm On Dec 17, 2011
jmaine:

So you saw it too  grin . .the lady para no be small especially after being the face of the Lagos state tax drive via T.V jingles  cheesy  . . heard she was even brutalized also  embarassed  . .

Tax tax tax, You know egbon mi, it is not dandan to live in a place where you know you would be taxed ?

A lot of people including Indigenes of lagos are now living in Ogun state and Oyo state and working in Lagos.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Skii(m): 7:29pm On Dec 17, 2011
@phantom

phantom:

@skii , so in actual fact the alternative is a 'coincident' alternative and not what govt planned to provide initially?

Sadly and unfortunately so

@alj_harem

I think two tolls at the extreme ends of the lekki-epe expressway with as low a cost as 50 is okay IMO
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by fe32(m): 7:31pm On Dec 17, 2011
we have no issues paying for good things but  not this way. this is daylight robbery in the name of governance.  

and please this shouldn't be portrayed as a privilege

my salary and allowances , even purchases is taxed.

i live along the road and already making calculations on how much this is going to hurt my purse.

PS: they dint even do drainage sef,
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Skii(m): 7:31pm On Dec 17, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

@ Psalmitz, Do not be surprise when they SCREAM about Fashola & his GAINT STRIDES. That's Nigerians for you, THEY LOVE HEADLINES. They do NOT ask QUESTIONS or view issues  CRITICALLY &OBJECTIVELY. When Obasanjo handpicked Yar'adua,for his own SELFISH interest, Nigerians, failed to ask questions about his LEGACIES & HEALTH CONDITIONS. Rather, they were carried away with newspapers HEADLINES of how  HONEST he is and he turned Katsina to ELDORADO & it's all LIES. When his HEALTH began to fail, Nigerians began to MAKE NOISE. Too little,too late.

When Jonathan said he will run for President. People failed to be OBJECTIVE & did not ask questions about Jonathan. Wikileaks reported him telling the then US ambassador to Nigeria, that he's not capable of leading Nigeria. People did not ask, what LEGACY did Jonathan leave in Bayelsa as a Governor? Rather, we were carried away with SOUTH & MINORITY sentiments.

Jonathan became the president, presently, Nigerians are MAD @ him cos THE CHICKEN HAVE COME HOME TO ROOST. They REGRETTED voting for him. Why now? cos they failed to look beyond the NEWSPAPER HEADLINES.

Why is that Nigerians are not protesting against SUBSIDY REMOVAL?? Cos Jonathan never promised to remove it when he was contesting for the president. It's a BREACH of TRUST.

Omo this man you dey yan gaan o wink
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:32pm On Dec 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Please stop with the moronic ramblings already. The vast majority of those who live in Lekki are NOT RICH.
ok

What are the things you saw to suggest they are not rich ?

Kobojunkie, to build a house in Lekki is 50% more expensive than mainland because of the water level

The houses in Lekki are the most beautiful in the country. I can keep going on and on so

In fact tell me a part in Lekki that suggest the people are not rich. Thanks
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by otokx(m): 7:32pm On Dec 17, 2011
You guys should also ensure that no police road block is set up within the tolled road; here in Port Harcourt they are causing hold up on the road and collecting N50 from transporters and giving them number.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 7:33pm On Dec 17, 2011
alj_harem:

ok

Kobojunkie, to build a house in Lekki is 50% more expensive than mainland because of the water level

The houses in Lekki are the most beautiful in the country. I can keep going on and on so

Again . . . .
Kobojunkie:

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by crispgg: 7:34pm On Dec 17, 2011
I have been one who has NEVER been impressed with Fashola's performance. Even from his first term. Now I dont live in Lagos, but anytime I visit I am always looking for the "wonderful" job that he has done. While he tried with the clearing of the Oshodi axis, you would have to look hard to see other things that he has done. A friend of mine has always said that Fashola is a governor for the rich, his activities has never been targeted to the low income earners of the state.

The problem is that Lagosians love hype. The roads to the area that I stay when I visit Lagos is still full of potholes. The only road reconstructed in that area is already developing potholes less than one year after the job was done. The only job I see the task force doing is filling potholes all over the state.

Its high time that Nigerians stop being gullible and start taking our leaders to task, we should stop being docile, sit at home while saying " God dey" to misrule and corruption. All these politicians are the same, PDP,ACN and others. They are just there to fill their pockets. During the campaign debate aired live on Channels TV, the major opposition candidate kept mentioning that the Lekki road is the most expensive road he has ever heard of. The audience, including the panel didnt even raise it up with the governor. Now they are all screaming,
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by asha80(m): 7:34pm On Dec 17, 2011
alj_harem:

ok

so the lekki epe indigenes are rich abi?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by manny4life(m): 7:35pm On Dec 17, 2011
NO

Fashola has been getting it all WRONG recently.

Lekki tolls, LASU Fees, etc, He need to have an urgent rethink of his policies else people will flee Lagos when the unbearable comes in.

@alj_harem

Just because you live in an expensive area don't mean a tons of people do not commune to that works area as well; they are not rich as the residents.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Remii(m): 7:35pm On Dec 17, 2011
alj_harem:

ok

Igbo Efon, Jakande, Ilassan, Ikota Village, Okun Ajah, Sangotedo, Ajiran, Awoyaya, Alpha Beach ,,,,,,,, do you want more
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:36pm On Dec 17, 2011
Skii:

@alj_harem

I think two tolls at the extreme ends of the lekki-epe expressway with as low a cost as 50 is okay IMO

2 toll gates is pushing it as well. The government is just doing it's job by providing roads. A toll gate should be enough to ensure all the the government needs to recover

Also I like to add that the government should not be thinking of recovering all her money because Lagos state people have already been taxed for that.

The toll gate should be used to maintain the roads and also to deter people from moving to places like Lekki if they don't have the cash.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 7:36pm On Dec 17, 2011
phantom:

That is not true and I bet @skii new this before he mentioned the road as an alternative. The new Market/Oniru road is the same road the Government announced only days ago, as the official alternative route for toll plaza one, so it could commence toll collection at that Plaza, in a couple hours.

This road is not newly constructed(it has been around for years) and it sort of a backyard path around toll plaza one, and as @skii himself confirmed, it is NOT WORTH mentioning as an alternative route, even though in reality it is what the government has chosen to offer/suggest(NOT PROVIDED ) as just that.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 7:37pm On Dec 17, 2011
occupy lekki, i wont leave this comfort zone,we are already fenced prison style

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ocheejemb: 7:38pm On Dec 17, 2011
To suggest that everyone that lives in Lekki is rich is ignorant, have you never been there? The whole area is as large and as diverse as any other place in Lagos, the rich, the poor and those floating in the middle, not everone that lives there owns a house there, heck therr are slums there too, i honestly think the best solution is that all residents of lekki be allowed to pay severly discounted rates,
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by jmaine: 7:38pm On Dec 17, 2011
alj_harem:

What sorta stvpid question is this and what do you hope to gain by asking this sorta silly question  undecided  . . . Guy make you rearrange bo !

alj_harem:

What protest is there in the world that people are not manhandled ?

Once you protest against the government, get ready for the consequences.

Moreover, this is the Nigerian police we are talking about not a well civilized police force

Yes, getting beaten by political thugs cos they were not policemen by his accounts, is part of the consequences of protesting against a government all over the world . . . . . and the police even added cover for their thuggery damn  embarassed  !!

let me hear people claim that the police is soly answerable to the F.G only
. . .

alj_harem:

Yes ACN is not different from PDP. Fact

So in the context of this protest and my quoted post . .the PDP and the ACN were actually colluding to harass the peaceful protesters . . Good , i now understand your point.[quote][/quote]
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Skii(m): 7:39pm On Dec 17, 2011
@crispg
Its not hype but I was born and bred in Lagos and in the course of growing up, I kept moving from what part of Lagos to the other. I can tell u that Fashola has done a great Job.

@kobojunkie,
people in Lekki are comfortable what the outsiders or less comfortable would term as rich. I live there

I support the toll. Nothing in this life is free. Only that two toll gates at the extreme ends of the length of the road but at a reasonably lower cost of say N50
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:40pm On Dec 17, 2011
Remii:

Igbo Efon, Jakande, Ilassan, Ikota Village, Okun Ajah, Sangotedo, Ajiran, Awoyaya, Alpha Beach ,,,,,,,, do you want more

So you mean those people still living in lekki cannot not pay toll gate ?

asha 80:

so the lekki epe indigenes are rich abi?

Asha I am an indigene as well and those places are elegushi areas controled by tinubu, if you cannot live in the place then it is easy to move out.

leeki indigenes are better of people in Mushin who still pay toll gate anyway
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 7:41pm On Dec 17, 2011
People should stop this PDP & ACN thing & fight for INJUSTICE, then take it to the next LEVEL ( REVOLUTION ). They are wasting their time, PDP's Federal Govt WILL give Lagos ACN all the necessary support, thru SOLDIERS & MOPOLS. They should all go & sleep, they all want to appear in PATRIOTIC. Why did'nt they go LASU & join the students to protest against the increase in their school fees? They will not, cos their kids are all OVERSEAS. Nigerians will REAP whatever they SOW. When GANI & BUHARI will be calling you all to come out & protest, SO THAT YOU WILL GET USE TO THE SKILLS OF PUBLIC protest, you will be criticising them in the MEDIA. They chicken have come home to ROOST. Everyone will have the taste of that BITTER PILL,until we can unite to FIGHT for the interest of all. People were rushing to Lekki, to live , thinking that no govt policy will affect them. From office to home, from home to airport. TOO BAD.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by fe32(m): 7:42pm On Dec 17, 2011
and why was bourdillon not tolled,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Femi Fani-Kayode & Osita Chidoka In Court For Nnamdi Kanu's Trial In Igbo Attire / Boss Mustapha, Other Attendees Of Kyari’s Burial Refuse To Self-Isolate / COVID-19: Osanebi Donates N10M, Truck Of Rice, 600 Cartons Of Noodles, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.