Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,256 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update (42357 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Onyocha: 6:01pm On Dec 17, 2011
I KNOW THAT THIS ISN'T THE ONLY NEW TAX FASHOLA HAS INTRODUCED.THERE IS ALSO WHAT HE CALLS "LAND USE CHARGE".ALSO,WHEN YOU PATRONIZE RESTAURANTS,THERE IS AN ADDITIONAL TAX SEPARATE FROM VAT WHICH GOES TO THE POCKET OF LAGOS STATE.

WITH THE NEWS OF FUEL HIKE,I JUST PITY EVERYONE!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 6:02pm On Dec 17, 2011
abhosts:

I Live in Lekki and I ply the alternative road regularly. I don't need to argue with you.

Good for you but that in no way changes any thing of what I have said so far to you on this. The alternative route that you speak of, according to others who claim to live as residents of the same Lekki, or know the area quite well, is not a newly constructed stretch but road that has been in existence long before the request for alternative routes even started.

If you cannot at least make sure you have your facts right, howse about you step to the side and let those who want to act, to do so?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by bigmo1(m): 6:04pm On Dec 17, 2011
Nigeria has become an Empire of corruption, only the Military can save us
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by dayokanu(m): 6:05pm On Dec 17, 2011
2AMLasgidi:

I was at the Protest venue this morning,  I think the occupy Lekki protesters allowed the protest to be hijacked by PDP people (if the protest was not initially bankrolled by Bode George). Commodore Olabode George had said he'll lead the protest in the dailies during the week,  

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/politics/32784-i-will-lead-protest-against-lekki-epe-tollgate-bode-george

I guess Bode George knew it will fail hence he stayed away leaving Mr. Tola Animashaun (The defeated PDP Senatorial candidate) to lead the protest. The Peaceful protest turned violent when the protesters aving waited since 8am till 10.am with less than 2,000 people in their ranks got angry and were trying to force motorist to join in their campaign to increase the number.

[size=28pt]The police did not molest them until the protesters started to force motorist to join them as usual of Nigerian protesters. (Must everyone join them in a cause they don’t believe in or have time for) That was when the police intervened to make conduct themselves peacefully. A protester moved forward to slap a policeman in d process for daring to them. This you can confirm from Simon Orukpe of Nigeria Info 99.30 he even reported it live on their station.‎it was then the police used tear gas canister[/size].I didn't see any ACN thugs throughout. We are in a technology age let them post the picture of where the thugs started d crisis,  This is when the blocked the toll gate preventing us from moving/using d road. This is not civil at all.

We all had to use the alternative route which the protesters said was not in place

Thanks for the update. God Bless you.

You mean in this age when everyone has phones No one could post pictures of the so called ACN thugs?

Or are they invisible aliens?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by dayokanu(m): 6:05pm On Dec 17, 2011
[size=28pt]The police did not molest them until the protesters started to force motorist to join them as usual of Nigerian protesters. (Must everyone join them in a cause they don’t believe in or have time for) That was when the police intervened to make conduct themselves peacefully. A protester moved forward to slap a policeman in d process for daring to them. This you can confirm from Simon Orukpe of Nigeria Info 99.30 he even reported it live on their station.‎it was then the police used tear gas canister.I didn't see any ACN thugs throughout. We are in a technology age let them post the picture of where the thugs started d crisis, This is when the blocked the toll gate preventing us from moving/using d road. This is not civil at all. [/size]
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by fe32(m): 6:06pm On Dec 17, 2011
pics

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Beaf: 6:08pm On Dec 17, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

SHAME ON YOU ALL THAT IS AGAINST THE TOLL GATE. NIGERIANS WANT THE BEST & THEY ARE NOT READY TO PAY FOR IT. I LIVED IN LEKKI & THAT ROAD WAS A MESS & IF GOVT DID NOT FIX IT PEOPLE WILL BE SCREAMING,NOW THEY DID & ASK YOU TO PAY,IT BECOMES A PROBLEM. I KNOW HOW MUCH PEOPLE SPEND IN UTILITY BILLS IN ALL THOSE PRIVATE ESTATES IN LEKKI & IF YOU FAIL TO PAY, THEY'LL CUT YOU OFF, BUT THESE SAME PEOPLE WILL BE RELUCTANT TO PAY WATER & ELECTRICITY BILLS WHEN ITS BEEN PROVIDED BY GOVT. THIS PROTEST IS A MISPLACED PRIORITY, THEY SHOULD NEGOTIATE WITH GOVT TO REDUCE THE NUMBER OF TOLL GATES ON THAT ROAD & THE CHARGES. BUT SAYING NO TOLL GATE, IS A BS, THESE SAME PEOPLE WILL NOT BE THERE TO PROTEST ABOUT FUEL SUSBSIDY REMOVAL. CONFUSED CITIZENS.

After you people have killed someone because someone is stup!d enough to tax a residential area, you still have the courage to vomit crap?
Where in the World have you heard that residential areas are taxed? Can you name one country? Only vampires would ever think up such a blood sucking scheme.

When OPC was brazenly paraded in the streets by the Lagos state govt, few people knew that the real intent was to intimidate peace loving Lagosians. Now the secret has been let out of the bag, it surely wasn't boko haram that OPC unleashed terror on today, it was peaceful residents of Lekki. They dared Tinubu's revenue stream and the dogs were unleashed. At least one person is reported dead.

Where on Gods Good Earth has anyone ever heard that thugs in the class of OPC and NURTW were employed to put down a legitimate and peaceful protest by unleashing raw terror and death? It is a first and the lowest of low's. The likes of OPC and NURTW are best known for armed robberies in the style of Tokyo, Eleweomo, Auxillary etc.
Today, we know the real hypocrites and bloodsucking enemies of the people.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 6:13pm On Dec 17, 2011
Where they decided to disturb motorist who did not want to join the protest, it was some here someone among the "|Peaceful Protesters" slapped a police man who insisted that can not force motporist to join the cause. You all can see how the are making frantic effort towards the Toll plaza, I think Police also decide to be at alert because Ebun Olu-Adegboruwa has threatened to bomb the place,

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by jmaine: 6:15pm On Dec 17, 2011
Dayokanu is just wasting his time emboldening that silly crap . . . the truth is everywhere . .
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 6:15pm On Dec 17, 2011
@ Jmaine, Nigerians can't do it!! I repeat, they can't do it, This protest is coming too little,too late. I'm not telling you that I do not support, but, Dude, IT'S NOT SUSTAINABLE, I lived in Lekki, and I know how people their behave, not different from every Nigerian. Watch out! The Fed Govt will warn Lagos PDP to stop identifiying with that protest, cos, they will use that Lekki TOLL to test the waters on the ones they planned to erect on HIGHWAYZ. REVOLUTION, is different from protest, Go and ask EGYPTIANS & LIBYANS what they went thru. Why are they protesting? TOLL GATE! But if they hear that people are protesting in Yaba, or Ajegunle cos of BAD GOVT will they go from Lekki, to go & join them? NO! Cos they'll view it as their HEADACHE!

PDP, ACN & co do RIG elections, how many times do people come out to protest, cos their MANDATE have been stolen Yar'adua acknowledged that the elections that brought him was RIGGED, any serious NATION will use that to protest & call for cancellation of that very election.

I support toll on LEKKI, but do not support MUTIPLE toll gates on LEKKI ROAD. And they charges should be reviewed. People have a wrong concept about Govt in Nigeria, Govt. should not be providing anyting for FREE! period.

I read about LASU school fess that was increased to an incredible amount. The students have been protesting, why can't Lekki residents join them? Cos it's not their business, as their kids are all OVERSEAS or in private Universities. Nigerians? forget them!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Beaf: 6:17pm On Dec 17, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

Lekki residents are coming out to protest becomes this very one directly affects them. They should quit looking @ the wrong direction pls! Fed Govt have been rolling out wrong policies & you can only hear them complain in thier various offices, (COWARDS),but they can't take to the streets to challenge the Fed Govt that has kept Nigeria down. However, the highway toll gates will soon be operational, they will not come out to protest, cos some of them will ask you " I DON'T PLY THE HIGHWAYS", therefore, he or she will not be bothered. Nigerians are COWARDS, I wish they can sustain the PROTEST in everything. Mark my words, NONE OF THESE GUYS WILL LEAVE HIS OFFICE TO PROTEST ON WORKING DAYZ,cos HE CARES SO MUCH ABOUT HIS STOMACH, IT WILL FADE AWAY by Monday. [size=18pt]Nigerians can't do NATING. This protest would have been in place from the time they wanted to build the toll plaza, but, coming to protest when TOLL GATE is already functional is a WASTE of TIME & ENERGY. I trust Naija police, when they kill two people, wives will be calling their husbands " pls come back oooooo!!! " I will be giving you money to pay them, we have kids to raise. END of DISCUSSION ( EOD).[/size]

That is the evil plan of you and your wicked masters, but it will fail. Are Fashola and Tinubu as tough as Gaddafi? Let them ask where hos toughness got him when the people got pissed off. angry

Nematode.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by fe32(m): 6:19pm On Dec 17, 2011
pics

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Ayoolu12: 6:21pm On Dec 17, 2011
Why all this faux outrage against Fashola? Where is the outrage against Gej for the fuel subsidy removal? At least Fashola has drastically improved Lagos ( to the extend that pple leave their villages and come to live there). Pray tell, what exactly has gej done for us? Boko haram?
Pls stop hating on Fashola you enemies of progress. Its not by force to live in Lagos o!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Rad1cal: 6:26pm On Dec 17, 2011
Ayo-olu12:

Why all this faux outrage against Fashola? Where is the outrage against Gej for the fuel subsidy removal? At least Fashola has drastically improved Lagos ( to the extend that pple leave their villages and come to live there). Pray tell, what exactly has gej done for us? Boko haram?
Pls stop hating on Fashola you enemies of progress. Its not by force to live in Lagos o!

Eediot claiming people protesting about modern day oppression are enemies of progress. . . so you registered around 5pm today just to write this trash .
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Azeez532(m): 6:27pm On Dec 17, 2011
Don't let us leave d substance of d matter 2 start chasing shadows,y should dis ugly incident erode all d giant strides that BRF has accomplished over d years.I am very sure dat BRF would find a lasting solution 2 dis quagmire,
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 6:28pm On Dec 17, 2011
Ayo-olu12:

Really? Before people can protest against what is going on in Lekki, where they live, they ought to protest first against the plan that has yet to be implemented at the national level?? Are you genius in your house? Say it ain't so . . . . shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 6:29pm On Dec 17, 2011
@ BEAF, I don't know the countires you have lived IN, but where I live, Govt TAX every TAXABLE thing, residential properties inclusive! I don't care about all these other stuff you're talking about OPC, I detest CHEAP POPULARITY. MY point is this, THIS PROTEST IS COMING TOO LITTLE TOO LATE and by Monday, they will all be too anxious to be in the office & everything will fade away. Wait till they deploy soldiers & you will see how people will run & head to their BEDROOMS. A lot of countires view Nigerians as COWARDS,they are, you know WHY? Because of the things that we allow the GOVT. to get away with. Let's watch and see if the Lagos Govt. will not get away with this. I support the PROTEST,if it's sustainable. I bet you, majority of these protesters came from other areas of Lagos, if you live in Lekki, you'll know that  thousands of its residents will PREFER to protest on the NET or NEWSPAPER! rather than leaving the COMFORT OF HIS HOME TO CONFRONT THE THOSE LUNATICS CALLED  POLICE & ARMY. We're watching how everything will turn out.

My point is this, KNOWING NIGERIANS & THEIR COWARDNESS, LAGOS GOVT. MUST SURELY COLLECT THAT TOLL, peroid.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by nku5: 6:29pm On Dec 17, 2011
^^ whenever that phrase - "its not by force to live in lagos" , I know that nigerians are some of the most heartless ppl on the face of this earth. Are u aware that there are indigenes who have lived there all their lives. Abi u think its only billinaires that live in that axis?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Ayoolu12: 6:32pm On Dec 17, 2011
Quote from: Ayo-olu12 on Today at 06:21:20 PM

Eediot claiming people protesting about modern day oppression are enemies of progress. . . so you registered around 5pm today just to write this trash .

Yes i registered today to say it. Have you got a problem with that? You clearly lack any form of breeding to use such foul language so loosely. Oppression is when you are forced to do something without being provided an alternative. There is an alternative route to ply, and no one has to use the tolled roads.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 6:32pm On Dec 17, 2011
@ Beaf, how I wish I'm on their PAYROLL, but do not forget this, Fashola & Tinubu are not Gadafi, Same way YOU NIGERIANS are not as TOUGH as Libyans & Egyptians.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 6:35pm On Dec 17, 2011
@ Nku5, Both the INDIGINES & BILLIONAIRES are all Nigerians. Ain't they?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by EkoIle1: 6:38pm On Dec 17, 2011
They have every right to protest, I just hope they don't leave their wallets at home or forget that they have to pay tomorrow.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Ayoolu12: 6:40pm On Dec 17, 2011
@nku5 progress and development comes at a cost. I sympathise with the indegenes and all, but should the govt then decide to not upgrade the roads? Like i stated earlier, there is an alternative route, let them use it.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 6:43pm On Dec 17, 2011
Ayo-olu12:

@nku5[b] progress and development comes at a cost[/b]. I sympathise with the indegenes and all, but should the govt then decide to not upgrade the roads? Like i stated earlier, there is an alternative route, let them use it.

I would like to know something here. What is progress and development in this case? The repair of a 30-year old expressway, and addition of 2 or 3 extra lanes, by the Government is progress and development? Is that what you refer to?

The Citizens already pay taxes, some of the highest in all of Lagos, I am made to understand, and they are not entirely against toll gates but against the way this is one is being shoved at them, so please don't insert the "there is a cost" bull-argument again.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by nku5: 6:44pm On Dec 17, 2011
@truthtela - ppl have the notion that the eti-osa axis is like ikoyi with rich folk everywhere. Its a old community and the fact that tinubu and his company would sign away free access to their home is pure evil
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 6:44pm On Dec 17, 2011
@Fe32;
I like this pictures, now if someone can take pix in this situation why not give us where the so called ACN thugs started the crisis

It was all propanganda machine of the protster
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 6:47pm On Dec 17, 2011
@POTUT and co I really hope you people are Lagosian.

I would love to explain to you what is going on but it too long for this thread

Just believe me when I say this is not Fashola's doing but Tinubu

Fashola is powerless in Lagos. Trust me when I tell you

The so called toll gate etc is tinubu's handy work. FACT

fashola does not have the power to oppose it because all the HOA and Oba with the elegushi, yeye Iru(Victoria Island) etc were all hand picked by Tiunbu before he left the office

Fashola opposing this view would not take any effect because the these people can impeach him with a click of a finger.

I would urge you to make more research on this politics and How tiunbu has destroyed and still destroying Lagos with puppets.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by youngmonie: 6:47pm On Dec 17, 2011
Beaf pls jus keep  quiet if u dnt av any reasonable thing to say!! rather than jus insighting all this rubbish. This is where  people like beaf jus like twisting the whole story. Nobody is saying they should not protest but when theri protest starts becoming a menace and disturbing the peace, why shouldnt the police get involved?, People can be really fuuny @ least those protesting opened their eyes down when they were building the toll gate, y didnt they complian then. If the Government decides to pull the toll down ( of which it wont happen) they are the same people that would be shouting waste of tax payers money!! angry
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 17, 2011
nice to see that the same beaf who has been defending police brutality in lokoja, illegal detention etal has suddenly found his voice. what a fking hypocrite

is this the same animal who was defending police brutality in other pro gej threads?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Beaf: 6:48pm On Dec 17, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

@ BEAF, I don't know the countires you have lived IN, but where I live, Govt TAX every TAXABLE thing, residential properties inclusive! I don't care about all these other stuff you're talking about OPC, I detest CHEAP POPULARITY. MY point is this, THIS PROTEST IS COMING TOO LITTLE TOO LATE and by Monday, they will all be too anxious to be in the office & everything will fade away. Wait till they deploy soldiers & you will see how people will run & head to their BEDROOMS. A lot of countires view Nigerians as COWARDS,they are, you know WHY? Because of the things that we allow the GOVT. to get away with. Let's watch and see if the Lagos Govt. will not get away with this. I support the PROTEST,if it's sustainable. I bet you, majority of these protesters came from other areas of Lagos, if you live in Lekki, you'll know that  thousands of its residents will PREFER to protest on the NET or NEWSPAPER! rather than leaving the COMFORT OF HIS HOME TO CONFRONT THE THOSE LUNATICS CALLED  POLICE & ARMY. We're watching how everything will turn out.

My point is this, KNOWING NIGERIANS & THEIR COWARDNESS, LAGOS GOVT. MUST SURELY COLLECT THAT TOLL, peroid.

Dude, I now see where you are coming from, and although I do not agree with your perspective, I'll apologise for the hard words.
--hugs TRUTHTELA --

However, no matter where you live, there are no toll gates in residential areas. if you claim otherwise, i dare you to post a pic and a reference link. there is no point in making arguments that are incomplete.

TRUTHTELA:

@ Beaf, how I wish I'm on their PAYROLL, but do not forget this, Fashola & Tinubu are not Gadafi, Same way YOU NIGERIANS are not as TOUGH as Libyans & Egyptians.

I am not in the category of Nigerian you are talking about.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 6:48pm On Dec 17, 2011
nku5:

@truthtela - ppl have the notion that the eti-osa axis is like ikoyi with rich folk everywhere. Its a old community and the fact that tinubu and his company would sign away free access to their home is pure evil

gbammmmmm. u understand.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 6:50pm On Dec 17, 2011
@ Nku5, you would have used the same word " EVIL" if the Lagos Govt. did not REPAIR & UPGRADE that road. I lived their & that road was a NIGHTMARE prior to the CRAPPY upgrade they did on that road. Pls do you live in Lekki?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Woman Who Donated Life Savings Of 1million Naira To Buhari Critically Ill. / Buhari’s Ministers Divided Over Cancellation Of NIN Registration / Gunmen Behead Hon Nelson Emeka Achukwu After Family Paid ₦15 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.