Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,232 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update (42374 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Beaf: 6:53pm On Dec 17, 2011
youngmonie:

Beaf pls jus keep quiet if u dnt av any reasonable thing to say!! rather than jus insighting all this rubbish. This is where people like beaf jus like twisting the whole story. Nobody is saying they should not protest but when theri protest starts becoming a menace and disturbing the peace, why shouldnt the police get involved?

Someone is dead and you are talking shiit?
Maybe you are even one of the OPC people that was beating and killing innocent protesters.

Its a phucking disgrace when a govt begins to employ thugs. Its is even worse when they get those thugs to terrorise their own people.

I pity you and other hypocrites.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Skii(m): 6:54pm On Dec 17, 2011
@Beaf shame on you, you don't even have camaraderie
Look at how loud and all over the place you have been because of just this one incident?

To the main subject matter, I think Lagosians (or i should say the protesters) have gotten it wrong. What they should do is dialogue with the government on how to cut down on the price of the toll or on the number of tolls. Nothing is free anywhere in the world.

There is also an alternate route. New market road. Just that its too thin to accommodate the traffic going in either direction

How I wish this protesters could save their energies for the slowpoke at the centre.

@Truthtela I am with you
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 6:57pm On Dec 17, 2011
Skii:

Look at how loud and all over the place you have been because of just this one incident?

To the main subject matter, I think Lagosians (or i should say the protesters) have gotten it wrong. What they should do is dialogue with the government on how to cut down on the price of the toll or on the number of tolls. Nothing is free anywhere in the world.

There is also an alternate route. New market road. Just that its too thin to accommodate the traffic going in either direction

How I wish this protesters could save their energies for the slowpoke at the centre.

@Truthtela I am with you

so you support 3 toll gates with the same road ?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 6:57pm On Dec 17, 2011
Skii:

Really? You mean even though there have been attempts at dialogue, numerous protests in the past, you still come up with this as solution -- dialogue ? WOW . . . where are these geniuses popping up from today . . .

Imagine that, you common sense tells you there is no way New Market road can be an alternative route, yet you suggest that it is sufficient as just that ??  shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 6:59pm On Dec 17, 2011
I lived in Lekki phase 1 for yrs, I moved to The Palm (Shoprite) Area cos I dont see why I should be paying Toll Fee from Lekki Phase 1 to my office in VI. Besides the so called Alternative Route is a single-lane-like strip called New Market Road, crossing through Oniru Private Estate. This New Market road is actually a market with okadas/buses/roadside sellers blocking the road. And you can not access Lekki Phase 1 without driving about 2 kilometers to Elf round about and returning back cos of the fact that we are fenced around (Prison Style). Its so disgusting. I cant even move from my home in VI to Lekki (5 mins drive) without paying cash to and fro ?

This isnt fair, we pay tenement rate and all other state levies apart from the huge mortgages and related issues.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 6:59pm On Dec 17, 2011
@ Beaf, Thnx 4 your understanding, I have this to say. ANYtime Nigerians begin to occupy ANYWHERE ( revolution ), I'll head to Nigeria & live it up. But, Fela, prophesied about Nigerians long time ago " SUFFERING & SMILING ". Time & events have proved that Nigerians are what I'll call " MEN OF THE STOMACH".
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by psalmizt(m): 7:00pm On Dec 17, 2011
I am always baffled when ppl keep saying that Fashola has made giant strides in Lagos, mtsheuwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. In a country where mediocrity is celebrated I will say yes. The only thing I know Fashola and his ACN cohorts have done is to increase the revenue stream for the state govt. Come to VI and you 'll see the worst roads in Nigeria and that is the richest local govt we are talking about. The point about this LCC/HITECH is that, d govt is not being truthful, how on earth can put a toll on the only route in and out of a place and them slam it on them such that they have no choice. Do you Lord it over your own ppl? Let there be an audit of LCC's books and we will see that it is only an avenue for some ppl to launder public funds, That was how a simple link bridge from ozumba to falomo bridge was built with 25billion Naira (Not sure of the figure but it is in this range),
It is only a matter of time, OCCUPY NAIJA will kick in full swing
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:02pm On Dec 17, 2011
LeoMax:

I lived in Lekki phase 1 for yrs, I moved to The Palm (Shoprite) Area cos I dont see why I should be paying Toll Fee from Lekki Phase 1 to my office in VI. Besides the so called Alternative Route is a single-lane-like strip called New Market Road, crossing through Oniru Private Estate. This New Market road is actually a market with okadas/buses/roadside sellers blocking the road. And you can not access Lekki Phase 1 without driving about 2 kilometers to Elf round about and returning back cos of the fact that we are fenced around (Prison Style). Its so disgusting. I cant even move from my home in VI to Lekki (5 mins drive) without paying cash to and fro ?

This isnt fair, we pay tenement rate and all other state levies apart from the huge mortgages and related issues.

toll gate is good but 3 toll gates is the bad aspect of it

you live in lekki phrase 1, thus I would say u have money. If you want your roads etc to be maintained, then get ready to pay the toll fees

Now if it is 3 toll gates as I suspect, then I agree, it is unfair
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by otokx(m): 7:02pm On Dec 17, 2011
The truth is coming out small, small and we see that Fashola is not as unreasonable as we are being made to believe.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Skii(m): 7:02pm On Dec 17, 2011
@alj_harem
Skii:

@Truthtela I am with you

@kobojunkie

Kobojunkie:

Really? You mean even though there have been protests, you still come up with this as solution -- dialogue ? WOW . . . where are these geniuses popping up from today . . .

Imagine that, you common sense tells you there is no way New Market road can be an alternative route, yet you suggest that it is sufficient as just that ??  shocked shocked shocked shocked

Skii:

@Truthtela I am with you

That is not an admission of the sufficiency the route, rather an assertion of the existence of one (especially for you since you had asked for a confirmation earlier on in the thread)
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by otokx(m): 7:03pm On Dec 17, 2011
If the 3 toll gates have alternative routes then what are you peeps talking about?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:04pm On Dec 17, 2011
otokx:

The truth is coming out small, small and we see that Fashola is not as unreasonable as we are being made to believe.

exactly, that is the truth.

Fashola cannot even effectively rule Lagos as he did in the first term without tiunbu holding his puppets to impeach fashola

He is comply to do the wishes of Oga tinubu
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 7:06pm On Dec 17, 2011
Skii:

@alj_harem
@kobojunkie

That is not an admission of the sufficiency the route, rather an assertion of the existence of one (especially for you since you had asked for a confirmation earlier on in the thread)

Again, your common sense tells you that the road you suggest is an alternative route is TOO THIN TO HANDLE THE TRAFFIC REQUIRED FOR AN ALTERNATIVE ROUTE IN THIS CASE, yet you go right ahead to suggesting IT IS MOST DEFINITELY AN ALTERNATIVE ROUTE.

How can A be a Malu if A does not posses the properties necessary to be considered a Malu  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:06pm On Dec 17, 2011
otokx:

If the 3 toll gates have alternative routes then what are you peeps talking about?

alternative route that is strip of road

the traffic that would cause alone, you would wish you paid for the 3 toll gates

fashola should reduce to just 1 toll gate if he is going to make sense at all
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Remii(m): 7:07pm On Dec 17, 2011
Honestly I feel very sad today for voting for Fasola. How can he mobilize maximum force against enlightened protestants. People who carried only placards and just dancing, did not even call govt names or insult anyone.

These same Tinubu, Fasola,  &co protested against Abacha under NADECO. It is a shame.

Even uniformed policemen almost out numbered the protesting crowd, not to talk of secret agents pretending to be among the crowd.

This is really sad.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 7:08pm On Dec 17, 2011
I can now see the Bode George & PDP angle now. The toll is no longer the issue it now Tinubu and Fashola. Little wonder Bode said he'll lead the protest. The prison is playing a vital role in his life now,

When this issue started it the toll fee was said to be N300 (by the Anti-Toll Nairalanders who relied soley on hear say not research or  fact) all these fell like pack of cards when documenmtary evidence showed that it is just N120/ trip and that the more you ply the road the lesser it become if you use the regular use card -eTag as low as N50 or so,

They said no alternative is available, i gave all info about the road and even the map. the story changed to "the road is inside Oniru estate, what concerns me as long as it is motorable and okay. Today when the protest went bad, everybody ran towards the ALTERNATIVE ROUTE which they denied doesnt exist or not motorable, at someone's backyard, despite the pandemonium that followed I spent less than 15minutes on that road.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by fe32(m): 7:09pm On Dec 17, 2011
pics

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aloyemeka1: 7:10pm On Dec 17, 2011
Remii:

Honestly I feel very sad today for voting for Fasola. How can he mobilize maximum force against enlightened protestants. People who carried only placards and just dancing, did not even call govt names or insult anyone.

These same Tinubu, Fasola,  &co protested against Abacha under NADECO. It is a shame.

Even uniformed policemen almost out numbered the protesting crowd, not to talk of secret agents pretending to be among the crowd.

This is really sad.

As long as Tinubu dictates the state of events in SW, darkness shall continue to prevail until he is dethroned or dies.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:10pm On Dec 17, 2011
Remii:

This is really sad.

protesters that were stopping cars and causing trouble ?

yes maximum force is needed before things get out of control
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by phantom(m): 7:11pm On Dec 17, 2011
Lol, just saw kate henshaw on stv raking with her neck veins dilated, men, people are really pissed o!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 17, 2011
occupy lekki, i wont leave this comfort zone
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Remii(m): 7:12pm On Dec 17, 2011
phantom:

Lol, just saw kate henshaw on stv raking with her neck veins dilated, men, people are really pissed o!

not only her, Soni Irabor was among the tear gassed too.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Ayoolu12: 7:13pm On Dec 17, 2011
@2AMLasgidi
Some people here don't really give a toss about a toll or no toll, they just seek out any opportunity to bash Fashola.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Skii(m): 7:13pm On Dec 17, 2011
@kobojunkie

after this i am done with you

does an alternative route exist? YES (answers questions regarding whether or not one exists)

is it sufficient? NO (still doesnt rob the already existing road of its existence)
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:13pm On Dec 17, 2011
LeoMax:

occupy lekki, i wont leave this comfort zone
then you pay for the exclusive service

although it should be just one toll gate
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:14pm On Dec 17, 2011
Ayo-olu12:

@2AMLasgidi
Some people here don't really give a toss about a toll or no toll, they just seek out any opportunity to bash Fashola.

Very true.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 7:14pm On Dec 17, 2011
Skii:

@kobojunkie

after this i am done with you

does an alternative route exist? YES (answers questions regarding whether or not one exists)

is it sufficient? NO (still doesnt rob the already existing road of its existence)
Kobojunkie:

Again, your common sense tells you right there(you have it in your own post there) that the road you suggest is an alternative route is TOO THIN TO HANDLE THE TRAFFIC REQUIRED FOR AN ALTERNATIVE ROUTE IN THIS CASE, yet you go right ahead to suggesting IT IS MOST DEFINITELY AN ALTERNATIVE ROUTE.

How can A be a Malu if A does not posses the properties necessary to be considered a Malu  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aloyemeka1: 7:17pm On Dec 17, 2011
alj_harem:

So it is alright the way the Syrian leader is killing protesters in his country?. So it was okay the way Ghadaffi killed protesters in Libya?. So it was okay the way Abacha wiped out many Yoruba elites who questioned him about June 12 annulment and his dictatorship?.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by jmaine: 7:17pm On Dec 17, 2011
To those freaking liars . . .what do you have to say about the STV camera that was beaten and his camera seized by paid ACN thugs, was he also trying to force people to join the protest while covering  . .You guyz need to update your propaganda skillz . . .imagine the useless Fashola spokes person saying that the hoodlums who were unfortunately protected by the police sent by the same government were probably PDP paid thugs . .

I never knew the PDP and the ACN do have a common share in the toll gate saga . .

What a fool . . .
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by otokx(m): 7:17pm On Dec 17, 2011
That man flexing muscle with mopol get mind o.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by psalmizt(m): 7:21pm On Dec 17, 2011
alj_harem:

Honestly I wonder waht planet you re from? How much of that lekki road was created? Was that road not in existence before LCC tushed it up? Really the only i see there is the toll gate, every other thing on that road is just ordinary.  Tell me why the citizenry can not just enjoy a common thing from the govt, A road that was not built over swampy terrain like the Naija Delta neither was a bridge constructed over dangerous waters the govt concessioned to a private organization, Come on ppl should think straight here, PPP are in place when the cost of fixing the road is so much burden for the govt, Soon someone will tell me that Abuja Lokajo should be tolled just like the east west road in the South SOuth, The truth is that lagos state govt is [size=15pt]IRRESPONSIBLE[/size] as in the case of LASU,
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Skii(m): 7:21pm On Dec 17, 2011
Not defending the Nigeria Police, but they have a duty to maintain law and order

Peaceful protests are within law and order as long as they are peaceful, but when the protesters started stopping motorists from going through the toll gates or forcing them to join the protests against their will then that is becoming "out of order"

The authorities unfortunately always take it too far as in the case of Libya and Syria and even Abacha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

'they Were Focused On Rivers, Didn't See It Coming In Kano' - Ben Bruce / "My Bloody Exploits In Sambisa" — Arrested Boko Haram Commander (Photo) / Enugu Youths Chase Fulani Herdsmen & Their Cows Away From Their Farmlands (Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.