Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,289 members, 7,836,275 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada (21362 Views)

Fashola Made Me A Proud Grandfather- Tinubu / Zahra Buhari Becomes Laughing Stock On Twitter, See Why. [photos] / PDP Has Made Ribadu A Laughing Stock? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ektbear: 6:55am On Dec 26, 2011
soloqy:

Murtaza Haider, director of the Institute of Housing and Mobility at Ryerson University, said the age of the cars is definitely a cause for concern.

“We should be ensuring that there is some service life left in these vehicles and we’re not going to be playing havoc with the lives of those who would ride these vehicles,” Haider said. “There’s metal fatigue, and that metal fatigue could result in dangerous conditions. I would be paying a close watch on this for the next ten years to see how many accidents do happen in Lagos.”

If the above quote from those who have inside info on this deal is anything to go by, then whether $1,500 or not, they are not good enough for Lagos.

He raises a good point. But hopefully after refurbishing the cars their life will be substantially extended.

This to me seems a better choice than buying expensive new cars. You can google NL for a previous thread where the amount of money Toronto is spending on their new cars is stated. That number simply is not affordable by Lagos. Again, buying brand new cars means substantially higher fares.

BTW, it isn't as if Lagos State is the only place on earth that has purchased used railcars. Again, see the other thread (google NL for it.)
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Omoadugbo(m): 7:00am On Dec 26, 2011
Nigerian in LAGOS will always want to TALK Good or Bad of Lagos.And they will never TALK about where they COME From. Soon OUR EYEs Go CLEAR When EVERYBODY will Need to GO BACK to their Towns and Villages. E dey HAPPEN. Fashola promised OLD TRAINS and WE CAN SEE that they WILL COME. Some other PEOPLE Will promise HEAVEN in Nigeria and as They TALK We Know They are Liars. Lagos OLD TRAINS are BETTER Than Nigeria "We will Bring the Coaches. Half Bread is Better Than Puf-Puf
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by nduchucks: 7:01am On Dec 26, 2011
The Lagos State government owes you absolutely nothing, fulani.

Go and face your polio-infested, poverty stricken, Boko Haramified, "allahu akbar" states.

Surely your expertise would prove valuable to that part of the country.

Once again, I am yet to see any report with alternative proposals and/or options which advised purchasing these used train cars. If you have seen such, please post it here.

The onus is actually on the Lagos state government and her defenders, to prove that the decision to buy these used car trains is reasonable. Your post above has not shown that the decision to buy these used cars is reasonable. Try another angle if you can.

BTW, I pay some taxes in Lagos and the government owes me accountability. No amount of name calling on your part can change that. What's with your bigoted comment sef?  This bigotry is starting to consume you buddy!
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 7:06am On Dec 26, 2011
A TTC spokesperson has confirmed that the commission is negotiating with a private group to sell up to 260 used train cars to the West African megacity’s new transit project.

“I can confirm that the TTC is in discussion with a third party that wants to purchase trains for Lagos,” said commission spokesperson Brad Ross. “Over a period of time, they will be taken out of service and then transported over to Nigeria.”

The cars being considered for sale are the TTC’s old H-5 and H-6 models, which will be decommissioned as the TTC rolls out its new fleet of Rockets. Ross predicts the earliest they could be shipped to Nigeria is sometime in 2012.

Find it curious that TTC itself went ahead and purchased a brand new fleet of cars to replace it's old stock. Is it that TTC does not know what Lagos Government knows, that purchasing old used is the way to go in this "green" reality we now live in??  grin grin grin grin grin

http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/news/story.cfm?content=182186

I mean how else does one explain the fact that the same TTC purchased a brand new fleet for about $780 million (paying about $60 million extra just to ensure the machines are built locally, and jobs go to the local economy too).
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ektbear: 7:12am On Dec 26, 2011
TTC is in the city of Toronto. And its riders are Canadian. So it can charge quite a bit more money per ride than Lagos can . . .

This obviously affects how much money you can spend on cars.

I don't understand how this very basic and obvious point is not crystal clear to you.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Omoadugbo(m): 7:14am On Dec 26, 2011
Nigerians in LAGOS will always want to TALK Good or Bad of Lagos.And they will never TALK about where they COME From. Soon OUR EYEs Go CLEAR When EVERYBODY will Need to GO BACK to their Towns and Villages. E dey HAPPEN. Fashola promised OLD TRAINS and WE CAN SEE that they WILL COME. Some other PEOPLE Will promise HEAVEN in Nigeria and as They TALK We Know They are Liars. Lagos OLD TRAINS are BETTER Than Nigeria "We will Bring the Coaches. Half Bread is Better Than Puf-Puf
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 7:18am On Dec 26, 2011
enyhss:

Quoting the Article, The Toronto Transit Commission's spokesperson, ''Brad Ross, though declined to discuss specific figures, he says the ''STICKER'' price for Lagos is '' SIGNIFICANTLY MORE THAN THE SCRAP PRICES'' putting the TTC profits in the millions of dollars''. Please, this is very straightforward. How do you spin this.? Bear in mind that these Coaches are said to have been ''DECOMMISSIONED" & when they reach this stage, ''they are usually sold for Scrap Metals'' .Take note of the key words here : Decommissioned, Scrap metals!

Let me delve into the scrap-metal aspect a little. If I, an Individual approaches a company or organisation like TTC, to purchase these coaches, & they tell me they usually sell them for as high as CDN 1500/coach to scrap metal buyers/ Dismantlers & Recyclers. Since I'm ready to buy up to 260 coaches, I think you would agree with me that I shouldn't pay up to CDN 1500/coach because of the quantity involve, regardless of what I intend to use it for. So why should anybody, Lagos state or PPP or whoever that may be pay ''SIGNIFICANTLY MORE'' for it? The article says the Commission's profits will be in Millions of Dollars. Whereas, the total cost of 260 Coaches multiply by CDN 1500 equals CDN 390,000.00. Where does the difference go?

I hope you will agree with me that the Toronto Transit Commission sells these coaches with Caveat; that they (seller) are not required to meet any & or perform any safety standards & regulations before selling them off to Eko Rail.

Also, Its been gathered that ''these coaches, due to their age, requires much more frequent maintenance work than the new ones''. So, wouldn't it be a better route to go If we decide to go for something that doesn't require frequent maintenance, owing to our maintenance culture or lack thereof.

The comparison of the stock sold to scrap is important. It is true that there does not seem more information from the Lagos end of this for anyone to be sure of what was delivered, state of the cars at time of purchase and actual work to be done on the lot, but it would be worth investigating given what TTC revealed of it's end of the transaction.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by tpia5: 8:47am On Dec 26, 2011
op

I read with disgust and utter disappointment in Gov Fashola a newspaper report in far away Canada. How on earth could he order scraps as trains for lagosians use. Rather crazy. Read and comment please.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/mobile/#story.cfm?c=182186

a blog is what you're calling a newspaper report?

exactly how illiterate [or is it semi-literate] can you get?
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by babyboy3(m): 8:59am On Dec 26, 2011
This to me seems a better choice than buying expensive new cars. You can google NL for a previous thread where the amount of money Toronto is spending on their new cars is stated. That number simply is not affordable by Lagos. Again, buying brand new cars means substantially higher fares.

For the money they are spending they are better off buying  new rolling stocks am sorry buying refurbished stocks doesnt worth it, the main fact here is that we are buying a stock has used almost all of its required life-span, for what? to use for another year before it packs up,  I have worked in the rail industry for almost 10 years and I know the knid of work the engineers do in the depot and on the track during engineering hours! and the main fact here is maintenance which was never our strong point in anything. To me we bought scrap mental simple just like the BRT or the other ones,  Yes Fashola has the right idea but I dont agree with the pile of junk he is buying.

My current company commission 720 coaches to be split into 8 or 12 carriage trains for £1.2bn
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 10:10am On Dec 26, 2011
baby-boy:

For the money they are spending they are better off buying  new rolling stocks am sorry buying refurbished stocks doesnt worth it, the main fact here is that we are buying a stock has used almost all of its required life-span, for what? to use for another year before it packs up,  I have worked in the rail industry for almost 10 years and I know the knid of work the engineers do in the depot and on the track during engineering hours!

Any idea how much it costs for a new light rail system? I mean per mile/km? I ask because I see the state is already investing billions in the project so this is not necessarily a question of "THERE IS NO MONEY" as many of our usual suspects are quick to throw out whenever Lagos is involved.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Dauchman(m): 10:15am On Dec 26, 2011
I believe the question should be, "why is govt buying the trains in the first place". I believe all govt needs to do is build the rail lines, give it to private individuals to manage, knowing govt's track record at managing things and then get private individuals both foreign and local to put the trains on the rails. And then govt regulates what happens. Because we would watch this investment go down the drain like every other govt venture in the country.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 26, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Any idea how much it costs for a new light rail system? I mean per mile/km? I ask because I see the state is already investing billions in the project so this is not necessarily a question of "THERE IS NO MONEY" as many of our usual suspects are quick to throw out whenever Lagos is involved.

keep highlighting your nitpicking anaylze to death rather than do anything ignorance - perhaps if you go through the threads you will find that the entire lagos badagry expressway project which includes the light rail is a world bank funded project
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by babyboy3(m): 11:32am On Dec 26, 2011
I believe the question should be, "why is govt buying the trains in the first place". I believe all govt needs to do is build the rail lines, give it to private individuals to manage, knowing govt's track record at managing things and then get private individuals both foreign and local to put the trains on the rails. And then govt regulates what happens. Because we would watch this investment go down the drain like every other govt venture in the country,

Spot on, Private investors would buy the rolling stock, provide staffs to manage both train and station, then the Government set rules and regulation each stakeholder would meet including the fleets, but the Lagos would still have to manage the rails, points, and surrounding and signals more like maintaining everything
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 26, 2011
baby-boy:

Spot on, Private investors would buy the rolling stock, provide staffs to manage both train and station, then the Government set rules and regulation each stakeholder would meet including the fleets, but the Lagos would still have to manage the rails, points, and surrounding and signals more like maintaining everything

if you go through the thread, you find that that is the exact scenario in place
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by babyboy3(m): 12:57pm On Dec 26, 2011
if you go through the thread, you find that that is the exact scenario in place

So why is Fashola inspecting the trains? that looks no different to his BRT busses
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 26, 2011
dude haba na

if you give a contractor a contract to build a house for you, will you not pay periodic inspections to ensure you are getting your money's worth?
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by babyboy3(m): 1:15pm On Dec 26, 2011
dude haba na

if you give a contractor a contract to build a house for you, will you not pay periodic inspections to ensure you are getting your money's worth?

So are you saying the old bangers or scrap were not recommended by fashola but he is only inspecting them
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by hercules07: 1:20pm On Dec 26, 2011
The trains are not being bought by the Lagos state government, Fashola just went to inspect the trains because they are going to be used on the rail track paid for by the government.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 26, 2011
baby-boy:

So are you saying the old bangers or scrap were not recommended by fashola but he is only inspecting them

the way u are going i am beginning to doubt that you actually do work as you have been claiming

i don't think it is too hard for you to figure out that eko rail would have provided several options during thier design brief - as is  standard practice in engineering projects. taking ROI and available resources into the consideration your 'old bangers' are the best choice at present.

seriously, its irritating listening to smug westerners and their empty blather about only the latest is good enough for us. it would probably be better if this project was pushed back until 2055 when we can secure funding for the latest and greatest trains. the sort of powerpoint imf mentality that prevails in our federal government, which is why nothing ever leaves their drawing board .

i'm an engineer in nigeria, and prudent recycling to drive down costs is simply a fact of life. you lot should try it sometime, maybe the future would not look so bleak
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by EkoIle1: 2:22pm On Dec 26, 2011
Rr
oyb:

the way u are going i am beginning to doubt that you actually do work as you have been claiming

i don't think it is too hard for you to figure out that eko rail would have provided several options during thier design brief - as is  standard practice in engineering projects. taking ROI and available resources into the consideration your 'old bangers' are the best choice at present.

seriously, its irritating listening to smug westerners and their empty blather about only the latest is good enough for us. it would probably be better if this project was pushed back until 2055 when we can secure funding for the latest and greatest trains. the sort of powerpoint imf mentality that prevails in our federal government, which is why nothing ever leaves their drawing board .

i'm an engineer in nigeria, and prudent recycling to drive down costs is simply a fact of life. you lot should try it sometime, maybe the future would not look so bleak

Excellent post.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by velo10: 4:25pm On Dec 26, 2011
Nigeria too like tokunbo, our dull leaders inclusive.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 4:29pm On Dec 26, 2011
Dauchman:

I believe the question should be, "why is govt buying the trains in the first place". I believe all govt needs to do is build the rail lines, give it to private individuals to manage, knowing govt's track record at managing things and then get private individuals both foreign and local to put the trains on the rails. And then govt regulates what happens. Because we would watch this investment go down the drain like every other govt venture in the country.
Private investors are handling the project as far as I know it.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by koruji(m): 4:32pm On Dec 26, 2011
When you make nothing for yourself you have to buy what your meagre earnings can afford.

This is the beginning and end of Nigeria's problem.

velo10:

Nigeria too like tokunbo, our dull leaders inclusive.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 4:35pm On Dec 26, 2011
The same meagre-earnings argument never comes up when the same government goes to purchase fleet of cars in the millions, give gifts from tax-payer money, huh?? Matter of fact, we have never read a story of the state being so broke as to purchase old cars of this grade to rebuild it for it's workers to use. So I think rather than continue to dole out that ridiculous reason, we need to inquire as to the real reason for such a purchase. 

For pete's sake, the project is estimated in the Billions, definitely not a train system on a shoestring budget as some would like for us to believe. If we are already going that far, then it makes sense to inquire as to why we are going for scrap grade when it comes to purchasing the cars. 

I mean this is the same question from page one, and almost 10 pages later, nothing in the line of more details from the TTC side of this but not much else from the Lagos/Eko Atlantic side of this story except Nigerian news clippings on what MIGHT be happening, and a load of assumptions being painted as fact, in the usual attempts to shut people up about yet another project that will be payed for by tax-payers.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Nobody: 4:46pm On Dec 26, 2011
^^^ and you have been answered on this thread before

everybody's second hand starts from somewhere and it is usually based on resources

adenuga built glo from scratch but bought national oil and bid for unipetrol

i bought a high end manufacturer refurbished mobile workstation at $2200 , rather than $5000 brand new

doesn't mean i will go for a refurbished hard drive (when i can get a new one for $100) or a refurbished flash drive

most people with late model tokunbo cars do not buy tokunbo electronics

cutting your coat to your size is just that, not living like ebenezer scrooger
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 4:52pm On Dec 26, 2011
Kobojunkie:

The same meagre-earnings argument never comes up when the same government goes to purchase fleet of cars in the millions, give gifts from tax-payer money, huh?? Matter of fact, we have never read a story of the state being so broke as to purchase old cars of this grade to rebuild it for it's workers to use. So I think rather than continue to dole out that ridiculous reason, we need to inquire as to the real reason for such a purchase. 

For pete's sake, the project is estimated in the Billions of dollars, definitely not a train system on a shoestring budget as some would like for us to believe. If we are already going that far, then it makes sense to inquire as to why we are going for scrap grade when it comes to purchasing the cars. 

I mean this is the same question from page one, and almost 10 pages later, nothing in the line of more details from the TTC side of this but not much else from the Lagos/Eko Atlantic side of this story except Nigerian news clippings on what MIGHT be happening, and a load of assumptions being painted as fact, in the usual attempts to shut people up about yet another project that will be payed for by tax-payers.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 26, 2011
^^^^^

yawn - if the trains were being bought brand new top dollar YOU would be the first in line to blather about wasted resouces that could be used for better things

how many of those features of the train are applicable to nigeria's environment - how will this new technology fare with nigerias power issues etc etc.

abegi, make we hear word jare

thankfully you dont live in lagos and when u do, you dont live along this axis - no death trap train molue for you.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 5:00pm On Dec 26, 2011
Again . . . . . see . . . reading and comprehension are precious skills . . . . one can understand the occasional mistakes but . . . 9 pages later? common!

Kobojunkie:

For pete's sake, the project is estimated in the Billions, definitely not a train system on a shoestring budget as some would like for us to believe. If we are already going that far, then it makes sense to inquire as to why we are going for scrap grade when it comes to purchasing the cars. 

Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by koruji(m): 5:01pm On Dec 26, 2011
You and others think you know the condition of the cars coming to Lagos based on two "heroic" assumptions:
1) That the cars are 30+ years old; 2) That the cars are scrap grade.

It may be true that officials do not buy used cars for their fleets. However, they have bought used planes for the presidential fleet in the past - didn't work out very well of course. In addition, used cars would have served us better in some cases than new cars.

It is a matter of making sure there is enough life in the used item - in accordance with its cost or better yet we learn to make the new stuff ourselves.

The only thing that this so-called news item should have produced is a call to make sure those cars are not really scrap grade. And this appears to be Fashola's objective in conducting his inspection. If that is not satisfactory for some they should ask for more inspections - perhaps by more qualified people.

Instead, people that know nothing about the trains are content to make the above two assumptions, so the criticism can flow freely.

Kobojunkie:

The same meagre-earnings argument never comes up when the same government goes to purchase fleet of cars in the millions, give gifts from tax-payer money, huh?? Matter of fact, we have never read a story of the state being so broke as to purchase old cars of this grade to rebuild it for it's workers to use. So I think rather than continue to dole out that ridiculous reason, we need to inquire as to the real reason for such a purchase.  For pete's sake, the project is estimated in the Billions, definitely not a train system on a shoestring budget as some would like for us to believe. If we are already going that far, then it makes sense to inquire as to why we are going for scrap grade when it comes to purchasing the cars. 
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 5:11pm On Dec 26, 2011
koruji:

You and others think you know the condition of the cars coming to Lagos based on two "heroic" assumptions:
1) That the cars are 30+ years old; 2) That the cars are scrap grade.

Actually the above are not assumptions at all. Yes, the h5 cars happen to be 30+ years old according to information available from TTC sources, and the many reports so far on this particular issue. Also, some of the same reports inform you that the cars are decommissioned, and the pricing was compared to scrap stalk which we are told sells at about $1500 per car. If you go through the thread at least you will find many google-able reports and links to help inform you of this as well. You can even easily access history of most each TTC car online . . . imagine that.

Now let's try again, shall we? Do you have any actual reports from the Lagos end of this denying the claims? Or is it your turn to play Lagos-spokesman-without-real-detail?
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 26, 2011
it has also been made clear repeatedly on this thread  but has failed to sink in that the billion naira railway infrastructure - not the trains is being built by ccetc , (and julius berger) is funded by a world bank loan and is a part of the lagos badagry 10 lane expressway project

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan Is A Crude Woman, Says APC / Senate President, Bukola Saraki Reads Riot Act On Unremitted Funds / Thousands Gather In Kaduna To See President Buhari (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.