Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,275 members, 7,836,234 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada (21361 Views)

Fashola Made Me A Proud Grandfather- Tinubu / Zahra Buhari Becomes Laughing Stock On Twitter, See Why. [photos] / PDP Has Made Ribadu A Laughing Stock? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by manny4life(m): 4:23am On Dec 26, 2011
Here come Ileke with her moaning,  shocked shocked shocked

Ekt_Bear, what's with the moaning? Dude, seriously? grin grin
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ektbear: 4:23am On Dec 26, 2011
Lol grin grin grin

H.or.ny Nigerian youth grin Gotta love 'em cheesy
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Nobody: 4:28am On Dec 26, 2011
Here comes manny4lyfe at the throes of her moaning.

manny4life:

Here come Ileke with her moaning,  shocked shocked shocked

Ekt_Bear, what's with the moaning? Dude, seriously? grin grin

Help me ask him jare. How you doing? *Joey style* wink
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by moremi2008(m): 4:29am On Dec 26, 2011
Oh, I love these indirect messages! I could care less second-hand trains that nobody has seen, all I know is that Fashola is a crook and the foolish diasporans that support him because he has planted beautiful flowers to disguise decaying infrastructure and has taxed working Lagosians to contract-out projects at grossly-inflated costs to his political godfather(s) should be called out on their foolishness.

Ekt_bear has been peddling foolishness in the guise of enlightenment on here for a long time, I just decided to pay him a little attention today. The fat, ugly pot-bellied fool must stop yarning dust! Ileke_Idi, I dare your stubborn Ekiti self to support your clansman and I will call you out too. I feel like giving Xmas gifts tonight on Nairaland (yes, it's still Xmas where I am).
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by manny4life(m): 4:33am On Dec 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

Lol grin grin grin

H.or.ny Nigerian youth grin Gotta love 'em cheesy

Seriously? Hmm who's the hor.ny he/she goat on here? embarassed embarassed embarassed Yall shouldn't spoil me grin grin grin

Ileke-IdI:

Here comes manny4lyfe at the throes of her moaning.

Help me ask him jare. How you doing? *Joey style* wink

I sure don't know about the first part shocked shocked shocked

Doing good today that's xmas, ate a lot, while mourning those who were lost.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Nobody: 4:35am On Dec 26, 2011
moremi2008:

Oh, I love these indirect messages! I could care less second-hand trains that nobody has seen,  all I know is that Fashola is a crook and the foolish diasporans that support him because he has planted beautiful flowers to disguise decaying infrastructure and has taxed working Lagosians to contract-out projects at grossly-inflated costs to his political godfather(s) should be called out on their foolishness.

Ekt_bear has been peddling foolishness in the guise of enlightenment on here for a long time,  I just decided to pay him a little attention today. The fat, ugly pot-bellied fool must stop yarning dust! Ileke_Idi, I dare your stubborn Ekiti self to support your clansman and I will call you out too. I feel like giving Xmas gifts tonight on Nairaland (yes, it's still Xmas where I am).

Look, the problem I have here with you is that you base your posts on stereotypes that you and your clansmen have been entertaining for a while.
What makes you think I'm stubborn, is it because I'm Ekiti?

I dont even know you neither have I even bothered to entertain your post, yet you've categorized me under a class.

Or is this just an opportunity to "fight", I mean, debate with Ileke-IdI? Just wondering since ileke-idi never made a post to suggest that she is in support of or against any opinion on this thread.

Dont let your excitement get the best of you.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Nobody: 4:38am On Dec 26, 2011
manny4life:

I sure don't know about the first part shocked shocked shocked

Doing good today that's xmas, ate a lot, while mourning those who were lost.

Yea yea we're all shocked too. Didnt know you were also shy o.

Good to hear you're good. Keep eating on, we need to put more meat on that bone. (giggles)  grin Who are you moruning? Pele o.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by moremi2008(m): 4:40am On Dec 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Look, the problem I have here with you is that you base your posts on stereotypes that you and your clansmen have been entertaining for a while.
What makes you think I'm stubborn, is it because I'm Ekiti?

I dont even know you neither have I even bothered to entertain your post, yet you've categorized me under a class.

Or is this just an opportunity to "fight", I mean, debate with Ileke-IdI? Just wondering since ileke-idi never made a post to suggest that she is in support of or against any opinion on this thread.

Dont let your excitement get the best of you.

Sorry jare, I just looking for trouble out of boredom. And this stoopid Ekt_beer person just annoyed me. Oh, I know the Ekiti clan very well! I spent summer vacations with an entire army of Ekiti indigenes in Baltimore (my stupid Aunt married an Ekiti man). Stubborn, stubborn, stubborn breed of human beings!!!

Ileke, are you still in Gainesville? The last time I noticed you on here, you were a raging Gators fan.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Nobody: 4:43am On Dec 26, 2011
moremi2008:

Sorry jare, I just looking for trouble out of boredom. And this stoopid Ekt_beer person just annoyed me. Oh, I know the Ekiti clan very well! I spent summer vacations with an entire army of Ekiti indigenes in Baltimore (my silly Aunt married an Ekiti man). Stubborn, stubborn, stubborn breed of human beings!!!

Ileke, are you still in Gainesville? The last time I noticed you on here, you were a raging Gators fan.

Hehehe, first of all, who are you? My location? Now I'm scared.
To answer your question, I'm not a gators fan, I'm a Gator. wink

Yea, we're stubborn lol, I just wanted to get at you there. grin
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ektbear: 4:49am On Dec 26, 2011
Heh, if you are looking for trouble, you have definitely found it.

Regarding security guard, fat, ugly and pot bellied, etc. Given that you don't know me, are you sure that you are not describing yourself and those you hang around with?

Don't assume that everyone has as miserable a life as you do.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by moremi2008(m): 4:49am On Dec 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Hehehe, first of all, who are you? My location? Now I'm scared.
To answer your question, I'm not a gators fan, I'm a Gator.  wink

Yea, we're stubborn lol, I just wanted to get at you there.  grin

Oh, I don't know you personally oh! I just noticed you were a bit crazy about the Gators a while back. My ex is a Gator too! She and her fellow Gators are just nuts! I avoid congregations of them like a plague, especially during the football season.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by moremi2008(m): 4:51am On Dec 26, 2011
Trouble? I haven't seen her yet. grin,

*Goes back to Netflix.*
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ektbear: 4:51am On Dec 26, 2011
manny4life:

Seriously? Hmm who's the hor.ny he/she goat on here? embarassed embarassed embarassed  Yall shouldn't spoil me  grin grin grin

Haha there are many, many. Pick one at random and he or she will likely be h.o.rny  grin

Ileke for example. . .
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Nobody: 4:54am On Dec 26, 2011
moremi2008:

Oh, I don't know you personally oh! I just noticed you were a bit crazy about the Gators a while back. My ex is a Gator too! She and her fellow Gators are just nuts! I avoid congregations of them like a plague, especially during the football season.

Eh ehn, is that so.
I was a fan when we were killing everybody back then, as y'all know, I love nothing more than winning. Now we just suck, hence the "I'm not a gators fan". I'm forcefully a Gator tho.

Since you know I'm a gator, I find that a bit unfair. Make it fair by telling me your own mascot.

ekt_bear:

Haha there are many, many. Pick one at random and he or she will likely be h.o.rny  grin

Ileke for example. . .

Nawa o. Truthfully, I havent even tried it yet. Just an innocent passerby.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ektbear: 4:54am On Dec 26, 2011
Heh. Keep talking foolishly, and one day it will find you.

Though I guess you are probably sensible to keep your senseless talk to the internet rather than real life.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by soloqy: 5:07am On Dec 26, 2011
Back to the topic ooo.

For those complaining that people are complaining, the issue here is bringing old, worn out cars(that shouldnt cost up to $1,500) which normarly, is sold as scrap for use in a place like Lagos.

[b]Fashola visited Toronto earlier this year to inspect the TTC trains.

The Lagos deal would be the first of its kind for the TTC. Decommissioned cars are usually sold for scrap metal and can fetch up to $1,500 dollar each. While Ross declined to discuss specific figures, he says the sticker price for Lagos is “significantly more” than scrap prices, putting the potential profits to the TTC in the millions of dollars.

“Once sold, it’s up to the new operator to ensure they are in good working order,” he said. “They do need to be maintained much more frequently than the new trains, simply because of their age. At some point they will run out their useful life.”

Murtaza Haider, director of the Institute of Housing and Mobility at Ryerson University, said the age of the cars is definitely a cause for concern.

“We should be ensuring that there is some service life left in these vehicles and we’re not going to be playing havoc with the lives of those who would ride these vehicles,” Haider said. “There’s metal fatigue, and that metal fatigue could result in dangerous conditions. I would be paying a close watch on this for the next ten years to see how many accidents do happen in Lagos.”

He also warned that while rail systems are glamorous as far as transit infrastructure goes, they are not always as effective at reducing congestion as other options. Nevertheless, new rail systems are frequently preferred because governments can take advantage of kickbacks from large contracts.

According to media reports, the cost estimates for the Lagos rail project have varied wildly from $1.2 billion to $30 billion. In 2010, a Nigerian government watchdog accused Fashola’s government of widespread corruption. [/b]
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by SEFAGO(m): 5:23am On Dec 26, 2011
Ok so I posted on this thread because I was searching for kobojunkie+h-or-ny on Nairaland and this thread popped up
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by moremi2008(m): 5:24am On Dec 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Eh ehn, is that so.
I was a fan when we were killing everybody back then, as y'all know, I love nothing more than winning. Now we just suck, hence the "I'm not a gators fan". I'm forcefully a Gator tho.

Since you know I'm a gator, I find that a bit unfair. Make it fair by telling me your own mascot.

Nawa o. Truthfully, I havent even tried it yet. Just an innocent passerby.

I attended one of the biggest geek non-technology schools in the country. I don't think I ever attended a single game (of anything) while I was there and I think I saw our mascot just once when it ran across the Quad. LOL
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by nduchucks: 5:27am On Dec 26, 2011
Can you please tell us why and what engineering rational you based this on?

Are you a rail engineer?

You should answer that questions first. Please tell us what enginnering rational or studies revealed to you that you cannot find brand new trains for the same cost or cheaper, and trains with the same or better engeneering and economic value than the second hand ones from Canada.

I am not blindly criticising but I must confess that I am disappointed in Fashola and his team in this case. Ekoile, you have been forthcoming in your posts, do not suddenly start sounding like  a sycophant.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Nobody: 5:33am On Dec 26, 2011
Nigerians want "Bullet Train" In a country where the Cops still wear flip-flops to patrol the neighborhood. E ma duro pe!
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by soloqy: 5:40am On Dec 26, 2011
kingoflag:

Nigerians want "Bullet Train" In a country where the Cops still wear flip-flops to patrol the neighborhood. E ma duro pe!

Not necessarily. Just something that wont kill us all in a bit.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by tpia5: 5:50am On Dec 26, 2011
Some Nigerians have started whining again?
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ektbear: 5:58am On Dec 26, 2011
soloqy:

Back to the topic ooo.

For those complaining that people are complaining, the issue here is bringing old, worn out cars(that shouldnt cost up to $1,500) which normarly, is sold as scrap for use in a place like Lagos.

Have we not already discussed why expecting to buy the cars for $1,500 is unrealistic?

ndu_chucks:

You should answer that questions first. Please tell us what enginnering rational or studies revealed to you that you cannot find brand new trains for the same cost or cheaper, and trains with the same or better engeneering and economic value than the second hand ones from Canada.

I am not blindly criticising but I must confess that I am disappointed in Fashola and his team in this case. Ekoile, you have been forthcoming in your posts, do not suddenly start sounding like  a sycophant.  

So your perspective is that BRAND NEW TRAIN CARS can be purchased for the same price as these USED ONES? Or even at a price that provides the same overall value?

Does this even make sense to you? Like I said earlier, let us all think through what we are saying before we post.

It is a good thing that they didn't ask you for advice before they decided where to find cars from.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ektbear: 6:07am On Dec 26, 2011
No offense, but it has been a while since I have seen such brainless criticism before in my life.

If you want Lagos to buy fresh train cars like the ones Toronto is buying, then you should also expect Lagos to charge a similar amount in fare. Given that Lagos is probably less than 1/20th as wealthy per capita as Toronto, does it seem likely to you that the price point for new cars is something that will make sense for the riders of the train?

Criticism is fine, but criticize sensibly and intelligently.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by nduchucks: 6:10am On Dec 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

So your perspective is that BRAND NEW TRAIN CARS can be purchased for the same price as these USED ONES? Or even at a price that provides the same overall value?

Does this even make sense to you? Like I said earlier, let us all think through what we are saying before we post.

You are the one that is not making sense in this case. Please post the reports which show the engineering and cost rationale for choosing these second hand trains over brand new ones from sellers, other than these Canadians. Why would any same government consider second hand train cars in the first place? Cut your losses and stop defending this insane act - you are usually  thoughtful.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ektbear: 6:13am On Dec 26, 2011
You back up your insane proposal with evidence.

If one suggests something ridiculous, then the onus is on them to defend it.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by nduchucks: 6:23am On Dec 26, 2011
ekt_bear: You back up your insane proposal with evidence.

If one suggests something ridiculous, then the onus is on them to defend it.

It is very likely that the authorities did not consider all the options available to them before embarking on the said disgraceful act. Citizens should demand accountability from their governments. I am yet to see any report with alternative proposals and/or options which advised purchasing these used train cars. If you have seen such, please post it here. The onus is actually on the Lagos state government and her defenders, to prove that the decision to buy these used car trains are reasonable.

On its surface, the said decision does not seem prudent IMO.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ektbear: 6:27am On Dec 26, 2011
Then again, perhaps it shouldn't surprise me that some of you reason this way.

You see people all the time living above their means. Black man earning $30k a year will buy the same Lexus that a man making $200k+ a year wants to buy.

So this f00lish "bling bling", trying to keep up with the Joneses mentality is nothing new.

If someone wants to live their own life in a profligate and foolish manner, unfortunate, but it is their choice.

However, it is ridiculous to be angry that someone else in this case decides to manage their affairs with wisdom and common sense.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by soloqy: 6:29am On Dec 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

Have we not already discussed why expecting to buy the cars for $1,500 is unrealistic?

Murtaza Haider, director of the Institute of Housing and Mobility at Ryerson University, said the age of the cars is definitely a cause for concern.

“We should be ensuring that there is some service life left in these vehicles and we’re not going to be playing havoc with the lives of those who would ride these vehicles,” Haider said. “There’s metal fatigue, and that metal fatigue could result in dangerous conditions. I would be paying a close watch on this for the next ten years to see how many accidents do happen in Lagos.”

If the above quote from those who have inside info on this deal is anything to go by, then whether $1,500 or not, they are not good enough for Lagos.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 6:48am On Dec 26, 2011
kingoflag:

Them shepe for Nigerians ni that this should not happen even with that? I mean it is time we started doing some serious building. We are talking of the same country that has lost well over $40 billion in the last decade to NO DEVELOPMENT at all. Wetin then come be bullet train?
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ektbear: 6:52am On Dec 26, 2011
ndu_chucks:

It is very likely that the authorities did not consider all  the options available to them before embarking on the said disgraceful act.  Citizens should demand accountability from their governments. I am yet to see any report with alternative proposals and/or options which advised purchasing these used train cars. If you have seen such, please post it here. The onus is actually on the Lagos state government and her defenders, to prove that the decision to buy these used car trains are reasonable.

On its surface, the said decision does not seem prudent IMO.

The Lagos State government owes you absolutely nothing, fulani.

Go and face your polio-infested, poverty stricken, Boko Haramified, "allahu akbar" states.

Surely your expertise would prove valuable to that part of the country.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 6:53am On Dec 26, 2011
soloqy:

[size=13pt]The Lagos deal would be the first of its kind for the TTC. Decommissioned cars are usually sold for scrap metal and can fetch up to $1,500 dollar each. While Ross declined to discuss specific figures, he says the sticker price for Lagos is “significantly more” than scrap prices, putting the potential profits to the TTC in the millions of dollars. [/size]

“Once sold, it’s up to the new operator to ensure they are in good working order,” he said. “They do need to be maintained much more frequently than the new trains, simply because of their age. At some point they will run out their useful life.”

[color=#990000]Murtaza Haider, director of the Institute of Housing and Mobility at Ryerson University, said the age of the cars is definitely a cause for concern.

He also warned that while rail systems are glamorous as far as transit infrastructure goes, they are not always as effective at reducing congestion as other options. Nevertheless, new rail systems are frequently preferred because governments can take advantage of kickbacks from large contracts.

[size=13pt]According to media reports, the cost estimates for the Lagos rail project have varied wildly from $1.2 billion to $30 billion. In 2010, a Nigerian government watchdog accused Fashola’s government of widespread corruption.[/size]  [/b]

The comparison made to decommissioned cars and scrap is what worries me as there is the likelihood that that is also what we purchased. Scrap outfitted with the doohickeys it worked with is still scrap. lol  And since we are already spending way in the billions on the project, I see more reason why we should go for gold here.

The man makes a point there about the quality of the cars and the life left in them. At least we have an external eye keeping an eye on the situation, even if we are going to blindly IGNORE the obvious possibles.

We do not have specifics on what the refurbishing process will entail -- no specifics on if there will be attention paid on safety of the vessels or any of the sort except for stories ensuring us that the cans will be decked out during the process. So I am not certain it is wise to make absolute claims on what will happen during the process.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Why Igbo Leaders Visited Buhari – Ikedife / Buhari To Address Nation On Recovered Loot - Oyegun / Rumoured Arrest Of Boko Haram’s S‎hekau At UN House Attempt To Destabilise Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.