Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,529 members, 7,816,291 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (1832) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1625760 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1829) (1830) (1831) (1832) (1833) (1834) (1835) ... (2208) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 7:44pm On Nov 10, 2021
DeeMain:
A big kid gets bulied by a classmate and he comes to class the next day on a shooting spree and kills 10. Intention, retaliation. Shaq and Chuck on National TV: "they got it coming. Don't mess with a big kid," and "if you hit a big kid, if he retaliates, it's all fair because the force is going to be different," literally glorifying the act, extolling violence, gloating even.

I say hogwash!

What happened to the virtue of sportsmanship? What happened to emotional intelligence? Are we not supposed to be trumpeting these?

Does sports analysts and broadcasters not have a code of conduct?

And kids watch these programs. I just wonder what we are teaching them these days.

And we are wondering why society is so decadent.

But these are not kids. This is a grown man's game. When you hit Jokic the way Morris did, you are sending a message. Jokic showed emotional intelligence imo. He could have clocked Morris with a punch to the temple. Or body slammed him. Otherwise you are seen as soft, and folks will test you in the playoffs where you cant afford to miss any games.

Speaking of kids, same thing. Yes, you should report things to the teacher instead of taking the law into your own hands. De-escalate if you can. But if they corner you and are about to inflict damage on you, game on. Do what you need to to get out of it. Then be the frst to report the whole story to the authorities anyways. Dont just lie down there and eat a beating trying to be emotionally intelligent. There are no rewards for coming home with a broken head. Bullies bully you until you clap back. Such is life.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 7:51pm On Nov 10, 2021
This f**l fouled a big man at half court! What kind of nonsense is that. They should add a public flogging on top that fine angry

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by DeeMain(m): 8:26pm On Nov 10, 2021
birdman:

But these are not kids. This is a grown man's game. When you hit Jokic the way Morris did, you are sending a message. Jokic showed emotional intelligence imo. He could have clocked Morris with a punch to the temple. Or body slammed him. Otherwise you are seen as soft, and folks will test you in the playoffs where you cant afford to miss any games.

Speaking of kids, same thing. Yes, you should report things to the teacher instead of taking the law into your own hands. De-escalate if you can. But if they corner you and are about to inflict damage on you, game on. Do what you need to to get out of it. Then be the frst to report the whole story to the authorities anyways. Dont just lie down there and eat a beating trying to be emotionally intelligent. There are no rewards for coming home with a broken head. Bullies bully you until you clap back. Such is life.

No sir, he didn't. He did worse. He went hard from behind and made his neck snap. He gave him a neck injury, a whiplash. He could have killed him.

Like I said before I understand why Jokic did what he did but I will not justify it. Jokic went too far, just like the retaliating kid.

Second, I will not go on National TV and glorify and celebrate Jokic's disproportionate violence like Shaq and Chuck did. It is condemnable and is not what the NBA represents.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 8:29pm On Nov 10, 2021
DeeMain:

No sir, he wasn't. He did worse. He went hard from behind and made his neck snap. He gave him a neck injury, a whiplash. He could have killed him.

Like I said before I understand why Jokic did what he did but I will not justify it. Jokic went too far, just like the retaliating kid.

Second, I will not go on National TV and glorify and celebrate Jokic's disproportionate violence like Shaq and Chuck did. It is condemnable and is not what the NBA represents.

Its not Jokics fault the guy cant take a football bump. If he knew he was that soft, how shoulda never went looking for trouble in the first place! Soft like charmin, see as e dey moan for ground grin

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:36pm On Nov 10, 2021
DeeMain:

I disagree, bro. How can he flop without knowing what was coming behind? It was the weight of the big man(Jokic) + the force of the push + the fact that it was unexpected (so he didn't brace himself to absorb the impact) that caused the whiplash.

Look at the pictures below and tell me it was flopping.

Him go dey alright. If he can dish he should be able to take

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:41pm On Nov 10, 2021
DeeMain:
A big kid gets bulied by a classmate and he comes to class the next day on a shooting spree and kills 10. Intention, retaliation. Shaq and Chuck on National TV: "they got it coming. Don't mess with a big kid," and "if you hit a big kid, if he retaliates, it's all fair because the force is going to be different," literally glorifying the act, extolling violence, gloating even.

I say hogwash!

What happened to the virtue of sportsmanship? What happened to emotional intelligence? Are we not supposed to be trumpeting these?

And kids watch these programs. I just wonder what we are teaching them these days.

Stop making malaria analogies. When you're in the heat of battle there is no telling how you respond. The ideal situation is for the initial offender not to try you in the first place. What's the correlation between taunting and mass shooting as revenge. Stop dealing in extremes to make jejune argument

What was sportsmanlike about the initial foul? Or is the victim the only one allowed to show emotional intelligence? There is a reason there are self defense laws so dead this agenda

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:44pm On Nov 10, 2021
birdman:

The infuriating thing for me was that he hit him then turned his back and was going like nothing. They say he's a Philly boy. Maybe na omo mummy wey no get street OT cos If he did that in any hood he could get killed.

This is also a guy with a track record of dirty play that did the same thing some people here are dragging Jokic for

There is a place for the game and a place to simply stand up for yourself as a man no matter what

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:46pm On Nov 10, 2021
birdman:
This f**l fouled a big man at half court! What kind of nonsense is that. They should add a public flogging on top that fine angry
In the final minute of a blowout loss. I'm really tired of these fake tough guys,that was how Westbrook too was doing the other day only to find out he has been hypocritical of what he was fighting against
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:46pm On Nov 10, 2021
birdman:

Its not Jokics fault the guy cant take a football bump. If he knew he was that soft, how shoulda never went looking for trouble in the first place! Soft like charmin, see as e dey moan for ground grin
Fall, stand up come fall again. I just dey laugh like crazeman

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 8:59pm On Nov 10, 2021
DeeMain:

No sir, he didn't. He did worse. He went hard from behind and made his neck snap. He gave him a neck injury, a whiplash. He could have killed him.

And Jokic could not have suffered a broken rip, fractured knee or fallen on his head and suffer a fatal injury? Shaq and Chuck are individuals like me and you and they are entitled to their subjective opinion. They are big men, so they have a better understanding of what is going on there. Chuck was very clear when he said "He does not encourage violence" in the same vein Jokic has every right to defend himself from anyone who is trying to send a message by bullying him on the court. The next time a small player tries to make a dirty play at a big man, he will rethink the consequences when it is meted at him.

In all of this, I have continued to read your school of thought blame Jokic.. When are you guys going to call Morris for what he is? When is he going to be held accountable?

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 9:07pm On Nov 10, 2021
DeeMain:

I say hogwash!

This analogy is so wrong in so many ways! First, it infers that because a kid is big, he/she can not suffer bullying. Secondly, it shifts the responsibilities of the result of bullying on the victim instead of the bully! Come on man! The problem is the bully here.. Someone who is notorious for cheap, dirty and dangerous plays! The victim has every right to defend himself. To you, bullying is about the physical act..naaaaaa..Bullying is more about the mental control than the physical act.

If a child has a history of bullying kids or targeting a particular kid, the school is aware, friends are aware, even the family of the bully is aware they are raising a bully. Keep your hands to yourself! It is the safest place it can be. You are not going to get sympathy for trying to bully a big kid who retaliates! He did not create himself, he was not the aggressor and most importantly, the same right you think you have to hit another kid, is the same right the kid has to defend himself! For once, call out the aggressor!

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 9:12pm On Nov 10, 2021
A40:
The infuriating thing for me was that he hit him then turned his back and was going like nothing. They say he's a Philly boy. Maybe na omo mummy wey no get street OT cos If he did that in any hood he could get killed.

This is also a guy with a track record of dirty play that did the same thing some people here are dragging Jokic for

There is a place for the game and a place to simply stand up for yourself as a man no matter what

Baba, the street know tough guys! no be by mouth, tattoos, carrying guns and social media posts! Come out 1v1...test your knuckles..

Na wetin make me like Kwame Brown! He told Gilbert Arenas say him dey try too hard to look tough but he is about the softest man he has ever known. No be to dey carry body guards and gun, he told Gilbert meet me one on one and lets see who makes it to the other side first. The same thing with Jackson! Since then, Jackson neva pipe low? He told Jackson, he is not cut out for all those red and blue crap! Come out one v one make we check something. Jackson neva shut up since then?
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 9:20pm On Nov 10, 2021
birdman:

Bro, this is not MMA or boxing where you're allowed to retaliate to every punch thrown at you. This is sports. Every infringement has its own penalty and the onus is not on you (the victim) to choose which penalty is dished out. The refs are there to officiate the game and I'm sure they would have awarded a flagrant 2 even if Jokic did not retaliate. I can't believe we're condoning what Jokic did. And don't say we're condoning what Kieff did because we're not. He deserves his flagrant 2 and fine according to the rules.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 9:37pm On Nov 10, 2021
When people start using too many "what ifs" in an argument you know they don't have any valid argument. "What if he injured his ribs" "what if he fractured his knee" "what if he broke his head". All moot points. If he didn't break his head then he didn't break his head. When he breaks his head then we can talk about how he broke his head.

These are the same people that complain nonstop about how the NBA has gone soft. They tell us how back in the day guys were hacking people. Now someone is playing hard and they're saying " what if he died". It was a dirty play, we get it, but miss me with all this "what ifs". We know a play that has the potential of becoming life-threatening or career-threatening and this was not one of them.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by DeeMain(m): 9:54pm On Nov 10, 2021
A40:
Stop making malaria analogies. When you're in the heat of battle there is no telling how you respond. The ideal situation is for the initial offender not to try you in the first place. What's the correlation between taunting and mass shooting as revenge. Stop dealing in extremes to make jejune argument

What was sportsmanlike about the initial foul? Or is the victim the only one allowed to show emotional intelligence? There is a reason there are self defense laws so dead this agenda

That is why emotional intelligence or control is taught these stars and taught in all endeavours.

Why the over celebration of Jokic's immoderate retaliation? Since when did two wrongs make a right? Why not call the two out?

There is a reason those convicted of manslaughter go to prison. You were provoked but you are still responsible for your actions.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by DeeMain(m): 10:09pm On Nov 10, 2021
steady986:
When people start using too many "what ifs" in an argument you know they don't have any valid argument. "What if he injured his ribs" "what if he fractured his knee" "what if he broke his head". All moot points. If he didn't break his head then he didn't break his head. When he breaks his head then we can talk about how he broke his head.

These are the same people that complain nonstop about how the NBA has gone soft. They tell us how back in the day guys were hacking people. Now someone is playing hard and they're saying " what if he died". It was a dirty play, we get it, but miss me with all this "what ifs". We know a play that has the potential of becoming life-threatening or career-threatening and this was not one of them.

My brother, I just tire for some argument here!

Most of us argue emotionally. Our heart decides who we like and what we do and our head conjures up all the logic it can to defend that position and make our decision appear sane.

We get it Jokic is likable, Markieff is not but can we be a bit objective?

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by DeeMain(m): 10:34pm On Nov 10, 2021
Roland17:

This analogy is so wrong in so many ways! First, it infers that because a kid is big, he/she can not suffer bullying. Secondly, it shifts the responsibilities of the result of bullying on the victim instead of the bully! Come on man! The problem is the bully here.. Someone who is notorious for cheap, dirty and dangerous plays! The victim has every right to defend himself. To you, bullying is about the physical act..naaaaaa..Bullying is more about the mental control than the physical act.

If a child has a history of bullying kids or targeting a particular kid, the school is aware, friends are aware, even the family of the bully is aware they are raising a bully. Keep your hands to yourself! It is the safest place it can be. You are not going to get sympathy for trying to bully a big kid who retaliates! He did not create himself, he was not the aggressor and most importantly, the same right you think you have to hit another kid, is the same right the kid has to defend himself! For once, call out the aggressor!

There are appropriate responses to bullying and inappropriate responses. The right response to being taunted or bullied by classmates is not bringing a gun to school and mauling them down. A child should be taught how to stand up and defend himself without going overboard. Gunning the person down or doing a mass shooting should be a no no.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 11:10pm On Nov 10, 2021
steady986:

Lol. You wouldn't be saying this if he plays for your team and he did it in a crucial playoff game/series.

But he didn't do it in the playoffs, he picked the right time and place to send the message.
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 11:15pm On Nov 10, 2021
Khanben:

But he didn't do it in the playoffs, he picked the right time and place to send the message.

Oh, is this you saying there are appropriate times to retaliate or not retaliate? That means there is a time when he won't/shouldn't get angry enough to retaliate? Lol. This your concept is flawed. Pick a struggle. Should Jokic retaliate every time he's fouled hard or not?
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 11:18pm On Nov 10, 2021
steady986:

Thank you brodaly, in one breath they complain about the softness of the modern players, and when the players now carry out the same actions that made the OGs game hard, they scream lack of emotional intelligence.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 11:22pm On Nov 10, 2021
steady986:

Oh, is this you saying there are appropriate times to retaliate or not retaliate? That means there is a time when he won't/shouldn't get angry enough to retaliate? Lol. This your concept is flawed. Pick a struggle. Should Jokic retaliate every time he's fouled hard or not?

Mark my words, nobody will foul jokic in any hard manner going forward. He sent a message that he is willing to take the fine and 1 game suspension and the rest of the league has taken notice.
There is a reason nobody tries that with Steven Adams because you know the next time you get isolated in a PnR you will get decked hard.

PS: the Morris bros use the bully mentality, and one thing that works well against that is to dish back as much if not more than they did

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by donlittle25: 12:04am On Nov 11, 2021
DeeMain:

I say hogwash!

Which kind of analogy is this? Its not the same thing abeg.

And to be quite honest, i endorse violence as i believe no one has monopoly to violence(Someone tell buhari and his kinsmen causing mayhem down south). Everyone is mad, and na where you madness stop another person start.

If a kid is getting bullied, comes to school one day with a gun and open fire on the kid bullying him, i will not lose an ounce of sleep. Same way the nigga that got approved to build 8 buildings and started building 21 and he died inside that building. I feel absolutely bad for everyone else, but him? Justice served because he would have gotten away with it if that building did not crash with him inside.

Same thing with morris, from luka to other bball players, He always throw cheap shots, well he bullied the wrong kid, and honestly, if he had died on tv that night from one thing or ther other(I will not lose sleep last night). Jokic wen't after who wen't after him. Heck, I respect him for that.

Also, Americans always think they are tough. It makes me laugh. Jokic grew up in the midst of the Yugoslav Wars. I doubt if he gives two fuccks about gangster haslem. Niggas watched death in the face everyday, tanks and all that and you think your crisps and blood nonsense will move him. grin

make una sorry for the rant jare.

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by joshboo(m): 12:32am On Nov 11, 2021
Roland17:

Baba, the street know tough guys! no be by mouth, tattoos, carrying guns and social media posts! Come out 1v1...test your knuckles..

Na wetin make me like Kwame Brown! He told Gilbert Arenas say him dey try too hard to look tough but he is about the softest man he has ever known. No be to dey carry body guards and gun, he told Gilbert meet me one on one and lets see who makes it to the other side first. The same thing with Jackson! Since then, Jackson neva pipe low? He told Jackson, he is not cut out for all those red and blue crap! Come out one v one make we check something. Jackson neva shut up since then?

grin grin grin grin cheesy
Re: The NBA Begins by joshboo(m): 12:34am On Nov 11, 2021
donlittle25:
Which kind of analogy is this? Its not the same thing abeg.

And to be quite honest, i endorse violence as i believe no one has monopoly to violence(Someone tell buhari and his kinsmen causing mayhem down south). Everyone is mad, and na where you madness stop another person start.

If a kid is getting bullied, comes to school one day with a gun and open fire on the kid bullying him, i will not lose an ounce of sleep. Same way the nigga that got approved to build 8 buildings and started building 21 and he died inside that building. I feel absolutely bad for everyone else, but him? Justice served because he would have gotten away with it if that building did not crash with him inside.

Same thing with morris, from luka to other bball players, He always throw cheap shots, well he bullied the wrong kid, and honestly, if he had died on tv that night from one thing or ther other(I will not lose sleep last night). Jokic wen't after who wen't after him. Heck, I respect him for that.

Also, Americans always think they are tough. It makes me laugh. Jokic grew up in the midst of the Yugoslav Wars. I doubt if he gives two fuccks about gangster haslem. Niggas watched death in the face everyday, tanks and all that and you think your crisps and blood nonsense will move him. grin

make una sorry for the rant jare.
grin grin grin grin
Re: The NBA Begins by joshboo(m): 12:40am On Nov 11, 2021
Khanben:

Mark my words, nobody will foul jokic in any hard manner going forward. He sent a message that he is willing to take the fine and 1 game suspension and the rest of the league has taken notice.
There is a reason nobody tries that with Steven Adams because you know the next time you get isolated in a PnR you will get decked hard.

PS: the Morris bros use the bully mentality, and one thing that works well against that is to dish back as much if not more than they did

grin grin grin same thing the did for years to S.Adams that small Westbrook had to fight back and retaliate for, everyone in the league know better than to try nonsense with him again, dem Yankee boys always feeling like they have the monopoly to violence.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 12:54am On Nov 11, 2021
DeeMain:

There are appropriate responses to bullying and inappropriate responses. The right response to being taunted or bullied by classmates is not bringing a gun to school and mauling them down. A child should be taught how to stand up and defend himself without going overboard. Gunning the person down or doing a mass shooting should be a no no.

Your responses prove you may not have any experience with dealing with kids who suffer or have suffered bullying. Your analogies in comparison to responses are far off apart. First, you misconstrue scenarios using "Big" kid, hopefully, you have leaned that there is no such thing as "Big" or "Small" kid when you are dealing with issues like bullying. A child that brings a gun to gun down 10 people after repeated bullying proves a failure in the system, not the victim. The victim will suffer the consequences of the mass shooting but I can assure you that the entire system that contributed to that failure will pay for it.

I am debating this analogy deviating from the adults and that is why your analogies do not match. Children/ young people have brought guns to school for lesser issues, worth more a situation where they are retaliating the emotional/ mental torture associated with bullying. It is similar to blaming a rape victim because you could not keep your hands and private part to yourself because she wear mini-skirt pass you. Suddenly the person that has been raped is at fault and is being blamed. This is sick bro!

The definition of overboard is not yours to define because you are not the victim of the emotional and mental torture associated with bullying. We have many adults whose lives have been derailed because they were victims of bullies, physical violence and rape. Hold the bullies accountable! Hold the system that allows bullies to thrive accountable. The victims of bullies, rape and violence have a respectable right to defend themselves. Please be careful when you use analogies especially when they have to do with kids.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by donlittle25: 1:21am On Nov 11, 2021
joshboo:

grin grin grin grin
Baba when i first come yankee, these kids go just they try you. Every day. I didn't want to get in trouble so i will always ignore them. Spoke to my cousin one day, and he said find one person you can beat and let everyone be there. Babe na so i find one guy wey i fit beat one day, he tall pass me small but i don sight him bone say na ajebo be this. If you see as i hammer am ehn, beat him to a pulp sha, no one else in school try me at all.

Brother i beat the boy so tey, na the last day wey them try bully me be that. American kids are usually like that till you snap.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:09am On Nov 11, 2021
This Raptors team are relentless and they play physical with pace and intensity. Good job finding offense inside the paint, either directly or kicking it out to the open man when the Raptors suck into the ball handler. Lets see how they finish this game.

3rd Quarter

Raptors 64-75 Boston Celtics
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:58am On Nov 11, 2021
The best game I have watched us play all season. We looked in control, adapted to the changes in tactics and did not stray from the our own tactic. Considering how bad we were beaten by this same Raptors team, I am happy with tonight's performance.
#Greenrunsdeep
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 5:20am On Nov 11, 2021
Man, the refs are allowing a lot of physicality this season. I'm loving it. Only the tough will survive.
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 5:21am On Nov 11, 2021
Khanben:

Lol. Except it's not this NBA he's playing in. He knows that his suspension would be more if he tries it again. He'll be a target.
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 7:15am On Nov 11, 2021
Tough win for the Lakers tonight. We matched them grit for grit. More of this physicality going forward.

Free throws was 35-16 in favour of the Heat (and this includes tactical fouls by the Heat towards the end of the game, if not we'd be looking at 35-12). Some dodgy calls by the refs tonight. There was an alley oop that AD was fouled on. The ref said side out. I just smiled. That was the cream of the crop of shitty calls in the game.

Our 3pt shooting basically won us this game. 18/38 (47.4%). Melo was cold but Bradley, Wayne and Monk came up with 5, 4 and 4 respectively.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1829) (1830) (1831) (1832) (1833) (1834) (1835) ... (2208) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.