Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,939 members, 7,835,130 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (1923) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1643083 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1920) (1921) (1922) (1923) (1924) (1925) (1926) ... (2233) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 5:00am On May 09, 2022
Be like this Heat/Sixers series never end yet o. Twist in the tail still dey grin Bam don see matchup, no be that one wey dem carry Harris dey play 5.
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 5:01am On May 09, 2022
Blueelf:
But what is happening to floor general now?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Lol. Your own be say you go just dey wait until person get bad game, voom, you don comot.
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 5:03am On May 09, 2022
aliondo:
I have to agree with A40...This present game is more about spamming threes and it could be annoying...if it falls for you,your luck....I mean with all the skill set and talents in this generation...

Yes, they shoot more threes than previous eras. But are they all about spamming threes? Talk true. Do you watch a game of basketball today and all you see is people shooting threes?
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 5:06am On May 09, 2022
Thanos:
Please. You guys should not jinx us. Keep is out of the spotlight and continue to bet against us. I want to hear Steven A skip bayless excuses tomorrow. Suns in 4 ko, suns in 4 ni. Book Mark this. If mavs win this series, we are winning the whole thing. Go and write it down. Shout out to nick right who has been down with luka and the mavs since day 1.

Save yourself the stress bro, the Suns are winning this series. No need to get your hopes up grin

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by BlueMann: 8:34am On May 09, 2022
I thought the Heat had gone past the level where they'd require Butler to carry them. Almost everyone else just stank up the place with their shooting. Tough L for him to take, had a superb 40-point performance.

Now has 36.5ppg (73 points) on 60% shooting in these last two games, the other starters COMBINED have 16ppg (62 points) on 39%.

James Harden went off in the fourth tho.
Re: The NBA Begins by Thanos(m): 9:18am On May 09, 2022
Android22:
3 point shooting is very homecourt-centric. Those guys hitting 3s will shrink again in Phoenix. What that shows is, Suns will most likely still win in 7 because your team will shoot nonsense game 5 and game 7 if it gets to that.
Well, I'll take solace in the fact that regression to the mean would also apply to luka. He has lowkey not played up to his standards with poor shooting and high turnovers. I just need one luka-esque game in game 5 then close this out with help from the others in game 6
Re: The NBA Begins by Thanos(m): 9:19am On May 09, 2022
steady986:

Save yourself the stress bro, the Suns are winning this series. No need to get your hopes up grin
I am bookmarking this page. Coming with receipts for all of you at the end of this series.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 3:35pm On May 09, 2022
steady986:

Yes, they shoot more threes than previous eras. But are they all about spamming threes? Talk true. Do you watch a game of basketball today and all you see is people shooting threes?

Whenever I hear the spamming 3s comment, I just sometimes wonder what people mean. If a star player is taking only 3s I can very well understand how that can be an issue, because it is expected that the star players should be three level scorers. But for role players, people act as if in the OG days role players don't go 1-10 from the field.

I have never played competitive basketball, but those who have, say the corner 3 is the easiest shot in the game, with an open, set up shot also being in the top 5 easiest basketball shots.
So lets do the maths, if a role player shoots 45% from the field if we exclude the 3pts attempts(a % which is incredibly rare for a role player) and that same role player shots just 35% from open 3s, the fact is, it is better for the team if the role player takes mostly 3s.
People always omit the fact that the 3 main reasons, these role players have open looks at the 3 point line is because either the star big man was doubled at the rim and he kicks it out to his shooters, or the star wing had the defenders collapse on him as he drives to the basket and he then kicks it out for a 3, or from ball movement as a result of star player either passing out of a trap or probing and then kicking.
New age basketball defense no longer has that old school useless ego driven 1v1 defense for star players. They are either doubling, or sending help or trapping the star player all in an effort to take away the ball from them. This results in more open looks for role players, but history has shown that role players don't beat you 4 out of 7 game series, so coaches are willing to live with it.

PS: in game 4, the Mavs took 18% of the their shots from the corner
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 7:19pm On May 09, 2022
Khanben:

Whenever I hear the spamming 3s comment, I just sometimes wonder what people mean. If a star player is taking only 3s I can very well understand how that can be an issue, because it is expected that the star players should be three level scorers. But for role players, people act as if in the OG days role players don't go 1-10 from the field.

It doesnt apply to everybody. I am aware some people use the phrase as a way to down this generation of players. They are wrong - there are some flat out talented shooters in the league today. Better than anything we have ever seen.

But then, there are guys who are guilty of just shooting 3s and hope to get lucky and win a few. See atlanta hawks as a prime example. That is all they do, for real. The game doesnt even make sense at that point. Many times Trae doesnt even run a set. just chucks it - sometimes it goes in enough for them to try for a win. Other times, they just lose by double digits.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 8:22pm On May 09, 2022
birdman:

It doesnt apply to everybody. I am aware some people use the phrase as a way to down this generation of players. They are wrong - there are some flat out talented shooters in the league today. Better than anything we have ever seen.

But then, there are guys who are guilty of just shooting 3s and hope to get lucky and win a few. See atlanta hawks as a prime example. That is all they do, for real. The game doesnt even make sense at that point. Many times Trae doesnt even run a set. just chucks it - sometimes it goes in enough for them to try for a win. Other times, they just lose by double digits.

Absolutely agree with you 100% about Trae. The Wolves are also an example of a team that does that but in their case it seems everyone who finds themselves on the court has the Greenlight to just shoot whenever they want.
Re: The NBA Begins by BlueMann: 9:10pm On May 09, 2022
Jokic voted as MVP
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 10:24pm On May 09, 2022
Khanben:

I have never played competitive basketball, but those who have, say the corner 3 is the easiest shot in the game, with an open, set up shot also being in the top 5 easiest basketball shots.
So lets do the maths, if a role player shoots 45% from the field if we exclude the 3pts attempts(a % which is incredibly rare for a role player) and that same role player shots just 35% from open 3s, the fact is, it is better for the team if the role player takes mostly 3s.
People always omit the fact that the 3 main reasons, these role players have open looks at the 3 point line is because either the star big man was doubled at the rim and he kicks it out to his shooters, or the star wing had the defenders collapse on him as he drives to the basket and he then kicks it out for a 3, or from ball movement as a result of star player either passing out of a trap or probing and then kicking.
New age basketball defense no longer has that old school useless ego driven 1v1 defense for star players. They are either doubling, or sending help or trapping the star player all in an effort to take away the ball from them. This results in more open looks for role players, but history has shown that role players don't beat you 4 out of 7 game series, so coaches are willing to live with it.

PS: in game 4, the Mavs took 18% of the their shots from the corner

Quite elaborate. Well said
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 10:34pm On May 09, 2022
birdman:

Come on. That's not entirely true. The Trae Young/Capela pick n roll is a thing. Trae is responsible for a huge chunk of Capela's buckets. The numbers are there for us to see.

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:28pm On May 09, 2022
BlueMann:
I thought the Heat had gone past the level where they'd require Butler to carry them. Almost everyone else just stank up the place with their shooting. Tough L for him to take, had a superb 40-point performance.

Now has 36.5ppg (73 points) on 60% shooting in these last two games, the other starters COMBINED have 16ppg (62 points) on 39%.

James Harden went off in the fourth tho.
Maybe we overrated the Heat a bit. Their scoring core is basically Herro and Butler. Bam needs someone to get him shots. Oladipo is hit and miss. With Embiid back all bets are off. Won't be shocked at all if Philly pull the comeback provided Embiid remains healthy

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:44pm On May 09, 2022
When we say this era of players spam 3's. What we mean is the league today is filled with guys that would rather consistently shoot 1/10 than develop a reliable midrange 12-18 footer that you can fall back on in playoffs setting

There's really no variety in today's game when it comes to shot making and shot selection.

We were talking about Trae Young the other day and I remember telling y'all this guy just spams 3's. Once his 3's don't fall he would look like a G-League caliber player with embarrassing numbers.

The gag is I don't even believe this era overall has better shooters. It's just that they take so many 3's it looks that way. I always like to use Marc Gasol as an example

Marc Gasol at 31 went from 0 3's per game most of his career to 4 3's at 32.

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:44pm On May 09, 2022
Robert Williams out. All that falling falling for Game 3 I'm not suprised

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 11:56pm On May 09, 2022
A40:
Robert Williams out. All that falling falling for Game 3 I'm not suprised

Come on man! Dude is experiencing swelling and soreness to his left knee which was surgically repaired in March.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 12:02am On May 10, 2022
A40:
Maybe we overrated the Heat a bit. Their scoring core is basically Herro and Butler. Bam needs someone to get him shots. Oladipo is hit and miss. With Embiid back all bets are off. Won't be shocked at all if Philly pull the comeback provided Embiid remains healthy

IMHO, the 6ers are just a bad match-up for them. They hang their hats on defense but have no one that can guard Embiid 1v1. Also Their second option on offense i.e Herro, can be targeted on the other end. Finally Lowry does not look fit at all, I know he is out there playing but he just is not okay physically and without him guys like Bam who needs someone to set them up will suffer offensively.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 12:23am On May 10, 2022
A40:
When we say this era of players spam 3's. What we mean is the league today is filled with guys that would rather consistently shoot 1/10 than develop a reliable midrange 12-18 footer that you can fall back on in playoffs setting

There's really no variety in today's game when it comes to shot making and shot selection.

We were talking about Trae Young the other day and I remember telling y'all this guy just spams 3's. Once his 3's don't fall he would look like a G-League caliber player with embarrassing numbers.

The gag is I don't even believe this era overall has better shooters. It's just that they take so many 3's it looks that way. I always like to use Marc Gasol as an example

Marc Gasol at 31 went from 0 3's per game most of his career to 4 3's at 32.

So you somehow know more basketball than the likes of Kareem, Isiah Thomas, Bird who say the players now are better shooters than they ever were.
As for 12-18fts there was never a time in nba history where those were efficient shots for role players. Why take a shot that you shoot at 40% for a 2 when you can take another where you shoot 35% for a 3. Name me one Star player that does not take 12-18fts, heck even Giannis with his limitations attempts them.

PS: As for Trae looking like a Gleague player when his shoots are not falling, that is the same for every PG who has ever played who is not only undersized but also a poor defender. If his shoots are not falling, all he has is his playmaking and that is not enough to be the number 1 option of a team. This is one of the main reasons why GMs always prefer to draft the bigger and athletic guy because even if they are poor defenders, the combination of size and effort on the defensive end can negate that weakness. But a guy like Trae even effort does nothing for him, so when his shots are not falling, he looks average.

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 12:24am On May 10, 2022
Roland17:

Come on man! Dude is experiencing swelling and soreness to his left knee which was surgically repaired in March.

The speed at which athletes sometimes comes back from surgeries surprises me. Wish him a quick recovery.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:37am On May 10, 2022
Roland17:

That's not what I'm implying. It's not slander. He was bound to get hurt with the intensity of being attacked by Giannis is the point. He's beating everybody up
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:01am On May 10, 2022
Who will tell Udoka to stop putting Brown on Giannis
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:06am On May 10, 2022
Khanben:

IMHO, the 6ers are just a bad match-up for them. They hang their hats on defense but have no one that can guard Embiid 1v1. Also Their second option on offense i.e Herro, can be targeted on the other end. Finally Lowry does not look fit at all, I know he is out there playing but he just is not okay physically and without him guys like Bam who needs someone to set them up will suffer offensively.
Their only reliable option offensively has been Butler. Saw Spoelstra try to put Tucker on Embiid and that was so amusing.

Game 5 would be pivotal for the Heat. Role players like Strus and Vincent have done nothing thus far. If the Heat don't find a way to slow down Embiid early he opens up the game for everyone else. Maxey, Harris, Harden. Then they would be coming back to Philly avoiding elimination and I don't believe even Doc would bottle such an advantage
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:13am On May 10, 2022
Horford is a problem
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:13am On May 10, 2022
Giannis is different man. Phenomenon
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 2:17am On May 10, 2022
A40:
Their only reliable option offensively has been Butler. Saw Spoelstra try to put Tucker on Embiid and that was so amusing.

Game 5 would be pivotal for the Heat. Role players like Strus and Vincent have done nothing thus far. If the Heat don't find a way to slow down Embiid early he opens up the game for everyone else. Maxey, Harris, Harden. Then they would be coming back to Philly avoiding elimination and I don't believe even Doc would bottle such an advantage

I also saw that Tucker switch, it was amusing grin grin grin grin. IMHO they have no option but to double everytime he is in or around the paint and if Green and co keep hitting shots the Heat are in trouble
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:35am On May 10, 2022
Horford giving Giannis a taste of his own medicine grin

Where was this Horford for the Hawks all those years? This man is damn near 40, this makes no sense
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:38am On May 10, 2022
Horford wth
Re: The NBA Begins by mannatech: 2:48am On May 10, 2022
Al holford is cooking
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 2:55am On May 10, 2022
Series tied at 2-2. Isn't that what we all wanted? cheesy
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:55am On May 10, 2022
Yeah Bucks are in big trouble. Would be shocked if they won
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:59am On May 10, 2022
Bucks 3pt shooting this series has been criminal

Jrue is 5 for 22 shocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (1920) (1921) (1922) (1923) (1924) (1925) (1926) ... (2233) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.