Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,300 members, 7,860,734 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 03:13 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (1925) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1659795 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1922) (1923) (1924) (1925) (1926) (1927) (1928) ... (2256) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 8:52am On May 10, 2022
When people want to make the argument about this era spamming threes, they look for the extreme. They don't mention guys like Ja Morant who led the league in points in the paint even though he's a 6ft3 point guard. If I ask them to name star players who attempt more threes than twos for the season they wouldn't be able to mention up to 5. Of which Steph is one of them. Let's talk about Steph. They don't have a problem with him spamming threes of course, because he's their guy. Steph is the king of spamming threes and yet we consider him a top 5 point guard of all time. Whether he makes a good number of them or not is not the issue, the issue is he spams threes. The Trae Young they say spams threes attempted 20 shots per game this season, 8 of which were from deep. Please where did the other 12 shots come from, my sitting room? And before you talk of efficiency, Trae shot better than Steph from deep this season (38.2% compared to 38%). Even the Dillon Brooks they want to use as an example of a guy that spams threes, only 29% of his 16 shot attempts this season were from deep. So I ask again, where did he shoot the other 71% from?

They call role wings/2 guards 3 and D guys for a reason. That's the way the game is played nowadays. You don't expect a role player to just hang around the midrange area and clog the space where the star players and the bigs operate. And moreover, it would be easier to guard them that way. This era utilises space on the court more than any other era. Back in the day you'd find 8-10 players scrambling for space inside the arc, and it usually was a gory sight. You may want to say that guys take ill-advised threes quite often, but taking an ill-advised three is not different from taking an ill-advised two. In the past we've seen guys rush twos when they had better options. I wonder if you'd feel better if a guy rushes a two instead of a three.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:18am On May 10, 2022
etidy:

For what Trae young has done in this league. This constitutes as blasphemy.
I'm referring to Trae Young as a scorer. I never said anything about him as a passer mate.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:27am On May 10, 2022
Roland17:

Pesin wen barely shoot 30% from 3 during the regular season, reach a vital game in a tough series and anointed himself the 2nd coming of Steph Curry!

Some of these guys lucky say I no be their team mate. grin
The guy is a menace that I have noted since the Bubble season. Maybe na that 24 wey e dey wear make am believe say him be Kobe but this fool has no bag yet he keeps shooting and shooting his team out of games

No basketball IQ. No feel for the game. He just empties the clip every single time. And in true Dillon Brooks fashion launched a garbage time 3 at the buzzer that went in grin
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:44am On May 10, 2022
etidy:

I totally disagree with this take on Trae young.
He's literally one of the best passers in the league. He may not be the most efficient shooter but efficiency is even a modern concert.
I grew up watching kobe, tracy McGrady, allen Iverson and Co spamming difficult shots to get 30 points for 40-45% shooting and it use to be praised as an awesome game.

The fact that trae had one bad series against an elite defense in a heavy lopsided series doesn't mean Trae should get this disrespect.

It's not like he just took his team to the conference finals despite an inferior squad while having multiple elite games.
I've been on record praising Trae Young here so I don't know what you're aiming at. Also I'm laying emphasis on his scoring. Abi wetin connect 3pt spamming with passing? undecided

It's not about the efficiency it's about the fact that his scoring game is not as multifaceted as the guys you listed above. Anybody that knows anything about basketball will know that guarding a Kobe, an AI or T-Mac, Tony Parker would be far more tasking on a defender than guarding a Trae Young. Because they have more tools

Trae's struggles were easy to predict, they took him out to G-League level because he was limited as a scorer like I told y'all he was.

15pts on 31% FG and 18% from 3.

A good defense will reduce your efficiency but not to this level. It will get worse as teams sus him out if he doesn't vary his scoring or cut down on his 3pt spamming that will make his numbers look worse. Especially now that he can't trick refs into cheap fouls like before

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 11:37am On May 10, 2022
steady986:

Come on. That's not entirely true. The Trae Young/Capela pick n roll is a thing. Trae is responsible for a huge chunk of Capela's buckets. The numbers are there for us to see.

I watch the Hawks often. This is flat out not true. Which one is assist to dunks again. If its such a good stat, they would not have been last to enter playoffs in the east, and get bounced by the Heat. Cmon you watched those games as well? Does that tally with what you saw against Heat? Did you have a Trae/Collins combo highlight reel?

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 1:39pm On May 10, 2022
Are you alright?
etidy:
Bro the warriors are 0/15 from 3 and are just spamming turnovers after turnovers.

This warriors ceiling is the confidence finals and what happened to the Splash Brothers?

I know the nostalgic feeling is off the charts with the warriors fan base but they need to blow up this their big 3 and invest in a proper big who can contribute both offensively and defensively.
Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 2:50pm On May 10, 2022
benji93:
Are you alright?
This warriors team can't beat the bucks, Celtics, or sixers. The heats offense is dodgy but they should be favorites against the warriors, same with the suns.
The warriors as currently constituted are not title contenders.
Re: The NBA Begins by Android22: 3:21pm On May 10, 2022
etidy:

This warriors team can't beat the bucks, Celtics, or sixers. The heats offense is dodgy but they should be favorites against the warriors, same with the suns.
The warriors as currently constituted are not title contenders.
Sixers?? Suns?
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 3:36pm On May 10, 2022
According to Nick Wright:

The official reveal of @FTFonFS1 & @purehoop’s Club Superstar.

Who is in (12 person capacity):
Giannis
LeBron
Luka
KD
Steph
CP3
Embiid
Ja
Jokic
Tatum
Kawhi
Dame

Waiting in line, for someone to leave (1 in, 1 out policy):
Booker
Trae
Jimmy
Ant Man

Kicked out:
AD

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 3:51pm On May 10, 2022
birdman:

I watch the Hawks often. This is flat out not true. Which one is assist to dunks again. If its such a good stat, they would not have been last to enter playoffs in the east, and get bounced by the Heat. Cmon you watched those games as well? Does that tally with what you saw against Heat? Did you have a Trae/Collins combo highlight reel?

Me I don't know what to answer you again o. That they were last means there were teams better than them.

Are you now judging them based on one playoff series in which they played the best team in the East? Did you watch Trae during the regular season?
Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 4:22pm On May 10, 2022
Android22:
Sixers?? Suns?

Embiid will average 40 against the warriors. grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Android22: 4:56pm On May 10, 2022
etidy:

Embiid will average 40 against the warriors. grin
Like Ja morant was doing and yet his team was still losing?
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 9:07pm On May 10, 2022
steady986:

Me I don't know what to answer you again o. That they were last means there were teams better than them.

Are you now judging them based on one playoff series in which they played the best team in the East? Did you watch Trae during the regular season?

I did. They have been doing this annoying habit not only this season, but last as well. It worked well in playoffs vs imploding Sixers last year, and a crappy knicks team.

The Hawks are a well built and deep, but they are under performing. As soon as they get a lead, they fall in love with that 3 and if it starts falling, thats all they do all game.

Similarly when they are behind by double digits, they start chucking 3as hoping to generate something.When they have hot hands, it allows them get back in the game. When they dont, they lose by double digits.

The John Collins they are hailing, has had issues with their style of play all season. Word is he is looking for other teams as well. He will thrive in a traditional half court set. He has serious hops, even post injuries and a reliable mid range jumper. And he will knock down a 3 if open.
There should be no reason for Trae and Bogie to be launching 3s anyhow with Collins and Capela on the floor. Granted, Bogdnaovich is usually more measured, picks his spots, takes better shots and plays withing flow of offense.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 9:21pm On May 10, 2022
steady986:

Giannis
LeBron
Luka
KD
Steph
CP3
Embiid
Ja
Jokic
Tatum
Kawhi
Dame

Booker
Trae
Jimmy
Ant Man

Kicked out:
AD

Jimmy has no business in that line. Dame should be evicted as well. KD dey probation.
AD grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by Wanbissaka: 9:23pm On May 10, 2022
steady986:

Giannis
LeBron
Luka
KD
Steph
CP3
Embiid
Ja
Jokic
Tatum
Kawhi
Dame

Booker
Trae
Jimmy
Ant Man

Kicked out:
AD
the Greek freak has been off his game lately.

AD grin
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:24am On May 11, 2022
Roland17:

The coach left him on the court primarily because of his defense and that was what Jenkins emphasized on when he answered the question before delving to his offense. In the NBA, if you are constantly open from beyond the arc, it is for a reason. When you go 0-4 you can switch it up and take it to the rack and not allow your opponents play the %s. He is not a shooter to continue shooting.. Shooters are the ones with that mentality not spammers.. You play to your strength..

If he was making the open shots from beyond the arc then that is a different conversation because he is in rhythm but this man is not a shooter but continues to spam the 3s and finished 1-8 and you say he should continue shooting. Well, we can see how the spamming cost them a victory that was well within their grasp.
His first shot was an airball. I've been following Dillon Brooks since the bubble pandemic season. That 24 on his shirt makes him think he's Kobe. He has the worst shot selection in the entire league and I'm not exaggerating.

Whatever they think he offers in defense he will easily offset with his rubbish shot selection. To make the next step he's the first guy Memphis has to trade just like GSW moved Monta and Monta was nowhere as bad as this dude
Re: The NBA Begins by BlueMann: 1:33am On May 11, 2022
Jimmy Butler is that dude.

At least he's getting good help today.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 1:59am On May 11, 2022
etidy:

I totally disagree with this take on Trae young.
He's literally one of the best passers in the league. He may not be the most efficient shooter but efficiency is even a modern concert.
I grew up watching kobe, tracy McGrady, allen Iverson and Co spamming difficult shots to get 30 points for 40-45% shooting and it use to be praised as an awesome game.

The fact that trae had one bad series against an elite defense in a heavy lopsided series doesn't mean Trae should get this disrespect.

It's not like he just took his team to the conference finals despite an inferior squad while having multiple elite games.

Thank you very much for this, my opinion is what is the difference between going 3-13 from 3 and 5-14 from long 2s and jump shots.
The Lakers lost the finals against the Pistons because Kobe got locked up in at least 3 games by just one guy in Prince, and he spent the whole time spamming difficult shot after difficult shot. His shooting percentage was so bad in those games that the Lakers couldn't win against an opponent known for their low scoring games.
Did anyone all of a sudden call Kobe a G-League player? NO.
I love AI and will always ride with him cause he was not only box office but he had heart, but lets not pretend as if he does not have one of the worst true shooting percentages in basketball history, but you know what, nobody called him a G-League player on the nights his shots were not falling.
Kobe walked into the league with a Prime Shaq as a teammate and it still took him 4 good years to win a chip. But somehow we expect today's players with a bunch of role players to do it in the same time or less.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by BlueMann: 2:05am On May 11, 2022
Embiid playing like he don't wanna be out there tonight. Na the MVP thing dey pain am?
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 2:07am On May 11, 2022
BlueMann:
Embiid playing like he don't wanna be out there tonight. Na the MVP thing dey pain am?

The Dude got hit in the face in the 1st quarter.
Re: The NBA Begins by BlueMann: 2:08am On May 11, 2022
Khanben:

The Dude got hit in the face in the 1st quarter.

Oh yeah I just realized. Just watched the Clip of him getting hit, man was in serious pain.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 2:11am On May 11, 2022
A40:
His first shot was an airball. I've been following Dillon Brooks since the bubble pandemic season. That 24 on his shirt makes him think he's Kobe. He has the worst shot selection in the entire league and I'm not exaggerating.

Whatever they think he offers in defense he will easily offset with his rubbish shot selection. To make the next step he's the first guy Memphis has to trade just like GSW moved Monta and Monta was nowhere as bad as this dude

Agree with this, he either needs to do what Tatum did this year which is improve on his shot selection which led to a huge increase in his shooting percentage or he does a Kobe and starts hitting those bad shots at a very good percentage. If he doesn't do any of the above, he needs to be shipped out while he has trade value
Re: The NBA Begins by BlueMann: 2:42am On May 11, 2022
Blowout tinz
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:27am On May 11, 2022
BlueMann:

You spoke my exact thoughts and I don’t think it was about the ball hitting his face. He looked indifferent and did not want to be out there. They reported he isolated himself since yesterday when new leaked Jokic is going to be announced as MVP.
Re: The NBA Begins by donlittle25: 3:40am On May 11, 2022
Roland17:

You spoke my exact thoughts and I don’t think it was about the ball hitting his face. He looked indifferent and did not want to be out there. They reported he isolated himself since yesterday when new leaked Jokic is going to be announced as MVP.
He was supposed to come out and make a statement. Abi Hakeem Na come out make statement say he suppose be MVP?
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 3:43am On May 11, 2022
Bertans is showing why he got the bag. Dude is a snipper
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:57am On May 11, 2022
donlittle25:
He was supposed to come out and make a statement. Abi Hakeem Na come out make statement say he suppose be MVP?

Man is just sulking. It is okay to be upset and disappointed but to come out indifferent, emotional and lethargic in a playoff game where you are the best and most important player only makes you look worse. He had his best season, especially when you consider his health but IMHO Jokic deserved the MVP awards.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 4:03am On May 11, 2022
Truth is CP3 can not do this thing by himself, Booker has to come alive and do some very heavy lifting on the offensive end. This is why I was worried about the amount of consecutive games CP3 was playing during the regular season because it bites you in the playoffs. CP3 is struggling with the intensity of the post season which is wearing him down, it comes with age. If they advance to the conference final, they will meet a fast paced, mobile, active, intense and offensively aggressive Warriors team and that is going to be even more demanding.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 4:25am On May 11, 2022
Just like I called it.. Booker is the best chance they have to get over this series and needs to remain ultra aggressive in looking for his shots. Let CP3 worry about getting others involved, especially Ayton and will come up in the 4th if needed.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 4:48am On May 11, 2022
The Mavs have no answer for the Suns interior scoring and they have picked up their defense, especially their perimeter defense.

Also, when your 3 ball no dey enter, you begin to look like the Orlando Magic or Kings grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 4:58am On May 11, 2022
Also, J. Kidd utilizes a very thin rotation. I don’t think he uses more than 8 players every night.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1922) (1923) (1924) (1925) (1926) (1927) (1928) ... (2256) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.