Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,560 members, 7,958,743 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:06 PM

Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight (26681 Views)

Biafra Leader Nnamdi Kalu Now Tortured By Dss @live Broadcast / Patience Jonathan To Return To Nigeria Soon / Jonathan To Fashola: “Let’s Work Together” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by SisiKill1: 2:15am On Jan 16, 2012
toluxa1:

lmao.

I find it really interesting that in spite of all the curses and abused on the personality of the President of the Federal republic of Nigeria, President Goodluck Jonathan, alot of people still stay awake even till midnight just to hear him speak. Interesting! cheesy
I'm sorry but what is your point?  

You do realize this is not just anyone right, it is the President and people are not staying up to hear him give Snoop Dogg a run for his money in rapping, they are staying up because what he has to say will greatly impact their lives. Except you don't know the role of the President and/or totally oblivious to what is going on in the country because. . .oh I don't know. . .you don't have access to TV or maybe you have been living in a cave, I fail to see the point you are trying to make.
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by SisiKill1: 2:16am On Jan 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt]Those of you busy spreading false news should know that you aid in ruining the chance this country has for real change. Instead of constantly creating threads with conflicting reports. . . .most of them UNSUBSTANTIATED rumours. Rather than allow yourselves used to derail the efforts of the people, why not stay your hands until we get real reports on changes occurring, or not occurring.[/size]

God Bless You!!!!
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by folahann(m): 2:17am On Jan 16, 2012
Just read the real speech. We have a retarted president. N97? Ogbeni Jonathan, is N65 or nothing. Labour cannot stop protest, they can only call off strike. OccupyNigeria
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by Kobojunkie: 2:19am On Jan 16, 2012
^^^ Which real speech? Did you at least read the source to be sure it is even a legit one?
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by Immarnuel(m): 2:25am On Jan 16, 2012
Gej need to sue the writer for several charges because i dont think gej will ever dream of this not even to think of it because he can never think of it even if he becomes a born again christian/muslem. Therefore it is an outrageous crime against him.
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by joelala(m): 2:48am On Jan 16, 2012
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by aljharem(m): 4:50am On Jan 16, 2012
If that was GEJ speech and he actually follows it then I WOULD CALL HIM THE BEST PRESIDENT IN NIGERIA.

Surly he needs to sack Beaf, Reubin etc for making him look bad

those ideeiots have made GEJ look like a corrupt person. they have done more harm than good
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by Kobojunkie: 5:14am On Jan 16, 2012
5.    It has become clear to government and all well-meaning Nigerians that other interests beyond the implementation of the deregulation policy have hijacked the protest. This has prevented an objective assessment and consideration of all the contending issues for which dialogue was initiated by government. These same interests seek to promote discord, anarchy, and insecurity to the detriment of public peace.

The above is an insult and I hope organizations out there protesting read this as it should be. These same lines are used most every time Nigerians go out to protest. Telling them that their cause has been hijacked is no excuse why Government should stop trying to negotiate with the people and find a more lasting solution to the problem.
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by Rad1cal: 5:36am On Jan 16, 2012
An aid to the sad people . . Reality beckons grin

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2012/01/201211613350125143.html?utm_content=automateplus&utm_campaign=Trial6&utm_source=SocialFlow&utm_term=tweets&utm_medium=MasterAccount

[size=16pt]Nigerian unions have decided to call off street protests due to security concerns, but a week-old nationwide strike over
soaring fuel prices will remain in place, a labour leader said.
[/size]

"[size=16pt]We came to a conclusion that we will stay at home, that is stay off the streets, in order to make sure that we don't in the first instance endanger innocent lives because of the security situation in the country," Nigeria Labour Congress chief Abdulwahed Omar told Channels television on Monday.[/size]

[size=16pt]Asked if the strike would continue, he said, "yes, but we have suspended the street protests."[/size]

Omar said President Goodluck Jonathan had raised the security concerns during his meeting with labour leaders late on Sunday aimed at ending the strike in Africa's most populous nation and largest oil producer.

He said Jonathan spoke of "serious security reports indicating that there is every likelihood that people outside organised labour may try to hijack the street protests."

[size=16pt]Omar also said Jonathan "told us that he has decided to put on hold the issue of full deregulation pending the provision of certain things, especially in the areas of palliatives and so on , "

The president's position, however, was apparently not enough for unions to announce an end to the strike, with labour leaders demanding a return to pre-January 1 petrol prices before further negotiations can occur.[/size]

A nationwide strike and protests that began January 9 have brought tens of thousands into the streets and shut down Africa's most populous nation.

While the strike was suspended for the weekend, labour leaders warned it would resume on Monday if a deal had not been reached. An earlier threat to shut down oil production however has been put on hold.

Unions launched the strike after the government deregulated the downstream petroleum sector and ended fuel subsidies on January 1, which more than doubled petrol prices overnight.

Did someone see channels television up there

Suddenly peeps feel channels TV is not a news worthy station.

Why i my not surprised cool
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by iukpe: 5:52am On Jan 16, 2012
hahahahahahahahahaha

dreeeeeeeam, dream dream dream, dreeeeeeeam, grin
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by Kobojunkie: 6:03am On Jan 16, 2012
I see, now the talk is no longer that Labor accepted the President's Naira 97 compromise, but that Labor chose to suspend street protests BECAUSE OF THE SECURITY SITUATION. Interesting how in a matter of hours, the news seems to have changed quite a bit and makes a lot more sense. Here's hoping other groups protest even as labor decides to take the seat for security reasons. 

Abeg, make I wait a bit longer to hear the real gist.

It would be a darn shame if people decide to end this fight the same way the Lekki Protesters did, after all the internet rants and raves. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by jmaine: 6:09am On Jan 16, 2012
grin

jmaine:

Security building up at the Ojota Park  . . .No more Carnival fest cos the NLC has suspended public rally for security reasons . . .thread with caution fellas, as you occupy

With this move . . .It's unofficially over . . .

Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by ndigbo: 6:40am On Jan 16, 2012
i think, i need to wait for the 7am GEJ's broadcast before i set out towards freedom park (Ojota), cus we can't afford to end this fight the way they want it! For me i have weigh my options and have decided to keep fight up. Reason is that for me and my like minds, it's nolonger about 65 naira pump price but Transperancy and Accountability in Govt and Govt MDA's. If NLC backs down, i wouldn't back down!
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by Kobojunkie: 6:59am On Jan 16, 2012
^^^ I am supporting folks like you from where I dey. This is an opportunity here for lasting change.

oooh!! Time for the address . . . . oh my gosh!!! I hate those instruments . . . . eeeekkkkk
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by biolabee(m): 7:03am On Jan 16, 2012
this is not looking well

i smell either

1 state of national emergency
2 banning of union
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by Nobody: 7:04am On Jan 16, 2012
Finally he's reading an already circulated document.SMH
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by gulfer: 7:16am On Jan 16, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Finally he's reading an already circulated document.SMH
Predictable and unconvincing. WTF.
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by bright007(f): 7:34am On Jan 16, 2012
This is not GEJ's speech oooo.
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by SlurRemoved: 7:47am On Jan 16, 2012
Talk is cheap and if this the manner the President addresses the nation, then something is really amiss. The IQ and the level of the statements thereof is really a pointer to the fact that our nation is run by an ill-prepared unskilled president who have no clue on how to move a nation forward. I have my doubts and where this could end us considering the what is cooking on Nigeria burner at this stage. All these issues (security, subsidy, unity, polity etc) were handle lackadaisically and without serious thought to the far reaching effect on the nation. Nigerians must think rather than use religious, tribal, nepotic etc, sentiments in electing their leaders hence forth otherwise they will be forever holed-up with lacklustre, clueless, inefficient leaders like in the current times.
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by vanvicker(m): 8:17am On Jan 16, 2012
Pls where on earth did Nairaland get this report,cos according to President Goodluck Jonathan's broadcast this morning via Radio Nigeria He never mentioned anything contained in this ur update,He only reversed d pump price of petrol to #97/litre and also implored workers to go back to their various offices to resume work.So nairaland give us d source of ur news.
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by gulfer: 8:27am On Jan 16, 2012
vanvicker:

Pls where on earth did Nairaland get this report,cos according to President Goodluck Jonathan's broadcast this morning via Radio Nigeria He never mentioned anything contained in this your update,He only reversed d pump price of petrol to #97/litre and also implored workers to go back to their various offices to resume work.So nairaland give us d source of your news.
what's the difference between what he read and that posted here. The speech is spot on. Kudos @poster.
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by vanvicker(m): 8:38am On Jan 16, 2012
@gulfer,what am trying to bring to ur notice is dat He never declared his asset,he didnt say he was going to reduce his feeding allowance to #300m,he never said he's going to reduce the salary of dose earning more than #2m by 50%,he never said he'll reduce d number of ministers and their ministries to 11,and others as filed in this report,He categorically stated it dat pump price is now #97/litre and nothing more.
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by gulfer: 8:44am On Jan 16, 2012
vanvicker:

@gulfer,what am trying to bring to your notice is dat He never declared his asset,he didnt say he was going to reduce his feeding allowance to #300m,he never said he's going to reduce the salary of dose earning more than #2m by 50%,he never said he'll reduce d number of ministers and their ministries to 11,and others as filed in this report,He categorically stated it dat pump price is now #97/litre and nothing more.
Ok, the original report posted here did but include any such promises but was spot on as in verbatim GEJ's speech today.
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by chigozie250(m): 9:21am On Jan 16, 2012
@tayo @femo @ceejay pls stop this rubbish u guys re doing here make we wait till tnyt make we no wetin dey happen, pls behave matured
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by honeric01(m): 9:29am On Jan 16, 2012
‎"SNG's official statement on GEJ's insulting N97 offer & the invasion of Ojota by the military will be communicated shortly. We urge you all to REMAIN AT HOME and out of harm's way today. Counter moves will be communicated to all as soon as possible. Please stay tuned for updates."

-- curled from SNG official fans page
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by adaphik(f): 10:54am On Jan 16, 2012
ORIGINAL SPEEC1. This is the second time in two weeks I will address you on the deregulation of the downstream petroleum sector. In the last seven days, the nation has witnessed a disruption of economic activities. Although, the economic imperatives for the policy have been well articulated by government, the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) went ahead to declare a nationwide strike.

2. There was also near-breakdown of law and order in certain parts of the country as a result of the activities of some persons or groups of persons who took advantage of the situation to further their narrow interests by engaging in acts of intimidation, harassment and outright subversion of the Nigerian state. I express my sympathy to those who were adversely affected by the protests.

3. At the inception of the deregulation policy, Government had set up the Justice Alfa Belgore Committee to liaise with Labour and other stakeholders to address likely grey areas in the policy, but despite all our efforts, Labour refused the option of dialogue and also disobeyed a restraining order of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria.

4. However, following the intervention of the Leadership of the National Assembly, and other well-meaning Nigerians, Labour accepted to meet with government, but this yielded no tangible result.

5. It has become clear to government and all well-meaning Nigerians that other interests beyond the implementation of the deregulation policy have hijacked the protest. This has prevented an objective assessment and consideration of all the contending issues for which dialogue was initiated by government. These same interests seek to promote discord, anarchy, and insecurity to the detriment of public peace.

6. Government appreciates that the implementation of the deregulation policy would cause initial hardships and commends Nigerians who have put forth suggestions and credible alternatives in this regard. Government also salutes Nigerians who by and large, conducted themselves peacefully while expressing their grievances. Let me assure you that government will continue to respect the people’s right to express themselves within the confines of the law and in accordance with the dictates of our democratic space.

7. Government will continue to pursue full deregulation of the downstream petroleum sector. However, given the hardships being suffered by Nigerians, and after due consideration and consultations with state governors and the leadership of the National Assembly, government has approved the reduction of the pump price of petrol to N97 per litre. The Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) has been directed to ensure compliance with this new pump price.

8. Government is working hard to reduce recurrent expenditure in line with current realities and to cut down on the cost of governance. In the meantime, government has commenced the implementation of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment projects: including the Federal Government- assisted mass transit programme which is already in place, and job creation for the youth.

9. Furthermore, the legal and regulatory regime for the petroleum industry will be reviewed to address accountability issues and current lapses in the Industry. In this regard, the Petroleum Industry Bill will be given accelerated attention. The report of the forensic audit carried out on the NNPC is being studied with a view to implementing the recommendations and sanctioning proven acts of corruption in the industry.

10. Let me assure Nigerians that this administration is irrevocably committed to tackling corruption in the petroleum industry as well as other sectors of the economy. Consequently, all those found to have contributed one way or the other to the economic adversity of the country will be dealt with in accordance with the law.

11. My dear compatriots, I urge you to show understanding for the imperatives of the adjustment in the pump price of petrol and give government your full support to ensure its successful implementation. I further appeal to Nigerians to go back to work and go about their normal duties as government has made adequate arrangements for the protection of life and property throughout the federation.

12. Government will not condone brazen acts of criminality and subversion. As President, I have sworn to uphold the unity, peace and order of the Nigerian State and by the grace of God, I intend to fully and effectively discharge that responsibility. Let me add that we are desirous of further engagements with Labour. I urge our Labour leaders to call off their strike, and go back to work.

13. Nigeria belongs to all of us and we must collectively safeguard its unity.

14. Thank you. God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN, GCFR

President,

Federal Republic of Nigeria
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by itodje(m): 12:51pm On Jan 16, 2012
as for me, a Nigerian, I want this strike and the protest to so and the only way to do is for federal government to agree with labour so that the mases will go back to their various place of work. THE PEOPLE ARE PERISHING OF STRAVATION' call of the strike and save the lives of the future Nigerians who are the leaders of tomorrow.
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by honeric01(m): 1:22pm On Jan 16, 2012
strike called off, LABOR HAS LOST ITS RELEVANCE IN THE HISTORY OF NIGERIA. NO MORE NO LESS, MOST NIGERIANS WON'T RESPECT THEM AGAIN.
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 08, 2012
Fellow 9jarians, betrra brace up for full removal of fuel subsidy...
pump price l rise to N165. >>>>>GBAM!!!! lipsrsealed
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by Solarpower(m): 5:20pm On Sep 03, 2013
Aussie: No president in the history of Nigeria has addressed us as much on a national tv as GEJ has done in 30days. This, to me, connotes comfusion and cluelessness!
baseless conclusion......makes me wonder when u wer born. Even obama appears on TV mre than u kan eva imagine. Is dat a sign of cluelessness? Buhari,IBB and Abacha appeard on TV likewise. So dnt go about runing ur mouth on tngs u dnt knw about!
Re: Jonathan To Make Nation Wide Broadcast Tonight by boladez(m): 6:23pm On Sep 03, 2013
Wow you have made history with a over a year of brain delay function....keep it up

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Academic Certificates Are With The Military - Buhari to INEC (But: Why?) / Caption This Wooden Bridge Spotted In Ogbia, Bayelsa State / Reno Omokri To PDP: Bola Tinubu will gets APC Ticket, Don't Under Estimate him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.