Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,426 members, 7,815,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. (30841 Views)

A Man's Role in Creating A Nagging Woman / Men And Women: Please Know Your Role In Life / How Do You Approach a Lady for a Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 10:36pm On Jan 19, 2012
The below list is not exhaustive, and it only represents the primary roles of each sex. When necessary, the other sex can step in and help in making sure the responsible party performs his or her duties. But each sex has the primary responsibility of making sure that the duties designated to him or her gets done. Also, if the other sex is sick, unavailable, or if any condition renders him or her from being unable to perform his or her duties, the other sex should step in and perform the duties.

Man
Being the provider;
making sure there is food on the table;
making sure the utilities are on;
washing the car(s);
cutting the grass and maintaining the yard, if any;
being the final decision maker;
head of the household;
making sure his wife get Enough Intimacy;
changing the light bulbs other things that need to be replaced; and
making sure that the car(s) are maintained and in good working order.

Woman
Washing dishes;
Doing the laundry, including folding and ironing;
cleaning the house;
cooking the food;
getting the kids ready for the school, if there are kids in the relationship;
changing the diapers of the baby, if needed;
assistant to the head of the household; and
satisfying her husband sexually.

Please add to the list if you have anything to add.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by MrsChima1(f): 10:38pm On Jan 19, 2012
Where are the men with sense at? I am ready to fight! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Mynd44: 10:39pm On Jan 19, 2012
There is no link to a blog sha. Got to go read it
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 10:39pm On Jan 19, 2012
Mrs, Chima:

Where are the men with sense at?  I am ready to fight!  grin grin grin grin grin

Why do you want to fight? What is wrong?
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 10:40pm On Jan 19, 2012
Mynd_44:

There is no link to a blog sha. Got to go read it

which kind blog you dey talk about?
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Mynd44: 10:44pm On Jan 19, 2012
I went back to read it and discovered that it is absolutely nonsense of the higest order.
Caveman thinking. That is even an insult to cavemen. Who set set this duties? What of in cases where the man is umemployed? What if the woman a job and she runs shift? What if they stay in different continents? What if the woman like washing cars and the man like doing laundry? When the woman travels, who does laundry, when the man travels, who washes the cars?
I pity whoever came up with that crap up there

1 Like

Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by freecocoa(f): 10:47pm On Jan 19, 2012
I disagree with the man being the "final decision maker" it should be made unanimously by both of them.

And I'm not sure ironing of a man's clothe is one of my strong suits,I can't turn to a washing machine either atleast not for a boyfriend.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by MrsChima1(f): 10:49pm On Jan 19, 2012
Princek12:

Why do you want to fight? What is wrong?

Because I disagree with some of the examples you provided and I know the vocal men will object to my disagreement.   grin

Washing, cleaning, and care for children isn't a woman's role.  It is a role to though who are able to move their legs.  Each household has it own's roles and responsibilities and many people have maids, drivers, nannies, and nurses in their homes so the woman of the house may not be doing any of those roles which goes back to the fact that each household has different roles and responsibilities that is suitable for that household.  

A man is a representative of the household but he isn't legally responsible for the parties in the house.  What are the roles of the man that is disabled and invalid?  If we are going to paint a set roles and responsibilities of men and women, it has to make sense and not sexist.  

A woman's responsibility isn't to provide sex to her husband, but being flexible with pleasing her husband and she is an equal mate, not a slave concubine.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 10:55pm On Jan 19, 2012
Mrs, Chima:

Because I disagree with some of the examples you provided and I know the vocal men will object to my disagreement.   grin

Washing, cleaning, and care for children isn't a woman's role.  It is a role to though who are able to move their legs.  Each household has it own's roles and responsibilities and many people have maids, drivers, nannies, and nurses in their homes so the woman of the house may not be doing any of those roles which goes back to the fact that each household has different roles and responsibilities that is suitable for that household.  

A man is a representative of the household but he isn't legally responsible for the parties in the house.  What are the roles of the man that is disabled and invalid?  If we are going to paint a set roles and responsibilities of men and women, it has to make sense and not sexist.  

A woman's responsibility isn't to provide sex to her husband, but being flexible with pleasing her husband and she is an equal mate, not a slave concubine.  

I see you have disagreed with my assertion that washing, cleaning, and taking care of children is not a woman's primary responsibility, but you have not disagreed with my assertion that doing the yard work, cleaning the car, etc , is a mans primary responsibility.

So in your household who does the cooking, cleaning, etc? Your husband?

1 Like

Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 10:57pm On Jan 19, 2012
freecocoa:

I disagree with the man being the "final decision maker" it should be made unanimously by both of them.

And I'm not sure ironing of a man's clothe is one of my strong suits,I can't turn to a washing machine either atleast not for a boyfriend.

being a final decision maker does not mean that the decision making does not have to be unanimous, and I wholeheartedly agree with you that decision making has to be unanimous. However, in the instances where no unanimity can be reached while making a decision, someone has to be a final decision maker. Who should that person be? I say the man holds the power to make those decisions. Your opinion.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 11:03pm On Jan 19, 2012
Mynd_44:

I went back to read it and discovered that it is absolutely nonsense of the higest order.
Caveman thinking. That is even an insult to cavemen. Who set set this duties? What of in cases where the man is umemployed? What if the woman a job and she runs shift? What if they stay in different continents? What if the woman like washing cars and the man like doing laundry? When the woman travels, who does laundry, when the man travels, who washes the cars?
I pity whoever came up with that crap up there

You must have failed reading comprehension in school. I said so because had you passed reading comprehension, you would have comprehended that I addressed the contingencies you stated. Read again and see if you can find the answer.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Mcleo007(m): 11:08pm On Jan 19, 2012
Very funny

Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by freecocoa(f): 11:12pm On Jan 19, 2012
That's something to think about o,I've not really thought about that aspect of it,though I wouldn't want my partner making decisions that don't ogre well with me.
I have a question btw,the decision we are talking about,does it include ones that are strictly about the woman? Say something like she wants to cut her hair and her husband says no,what will happen in such a case?
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by MrsChima1(f): 11:13pm On Jan 19, 2012
Princek12:

I see you have disagreed with my assertion that washing, cleaning, and taking care of children is not a woman's primary responsibility, but you have not disagreed with my assertion that doing the yard work, cleaning the car, etc , is a mans primary responsibility.

So in your household who does the cooking, cleaning, etc? Your husband?

Who said that is all I disagreed on?  I didn't know I was supposed to list all my disagreements at once.  I listed some disagreements to start off the conversation, TRUST ME I AM NOT DONE.  wink

I have no issue with cutting the grass and changing the light bulb.  I am not r3tarded nor invaild.  cool

1 Like

Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by claremont(m): 11:33pm On Jan 19, 2012
Very subjective list based on your own impression of what you believe it is.

A man/woman has no primary role, the roles you stated there are all interchangeable between both sexes. The interchangeability of the roles is based on factors such as culture, religion, upbringing, e.t.c. As far as I know, there are no objectively defined roles for a man or a woman. By "objectively defined roles", I mean a role that can only be played by one party, and in whose absence, the role cannot be played by the other party. None whatsoever!
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by slimyem: 11:36pm On Jan 19, 2012
claremont:

A man/woman has no primary role, the roles you stated there are all interchangeable between both sexes. The interchangeability of the roles is based on factors such as culture, religion, upbringing, e.t.c. As far as I know, there are no objectively defined roles for a man or a woman. By "objectively defined roles", I mean a role that can only be played by one party, and in whose absence, the role cannot be played by the other party. None whatsoever!

thread locked!!
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Mynd44: 11:45pm On Jan 19, 2012
Which questions did you answer? Who made up those duties? Are you still living in the cave man days? What if the wife is paid higher than the man and her job demands longer hours?
You really need to look beyound you r traditional look at the role of each sex. Anybody can do any job that's why they are called parthers
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 1:43am On Jan 20, 2012
claremont:

What you say sounds good in theory but, as a practical matter, has no teeth. Who says a man or a woman has no primary role? A lot of these roles are based on biological dispositions, many of which are common to many cultures. If I may ask you, while you were growing up, assuming you grew up in a nuclear family, were there any roles that were more likely than not performed by your mother and not your father, and vice versa?

And you kind run your mouth as much as you want, you will not likely find a husband, particularly an African husband if you so desire, if you do not know how to cook.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Nobody: 1:55am On Jan 20, 2012
@princek12 there are times where the women might be opportuned to have a job while the husband doesn't like in myy house. really i se nothing wrong with the woman making more money the only check has to be the attitude, also no offence but the descriptions do sound a bit primitive, these days roles are shared gone are the days of you're the woman cook,clean,babysit and stuff with economic hardships,inflation and subsidy everyone has to work nothing like bread winner and house wife style.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 3:24am On Jan 20, 2012
freecocoa:

That's something to think about o,I've not really thought about that aspect of it,though I wouldn't want my partner making decisions that don't ogre well with me.
I have a question btw,the decision we are talking about,does it include ones that are strictly about the woman? Say something like she wants to cut her hair and her husband says no,what will happen in such a case?

No. the decision I am talking about would not involve the woman. I am talking about situations where both parties cannot unanimously agree on a decision that does not involve the woman, which calls for someone to have the final say.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 3:30am On Jan 20, 2012
Mrs, Chima:

Answer these simple questions: (1) If you and your hubby were driving and you drove into a gas station to buy gasoline/petrol. Who pumps the gas? You or your hubby?

(2) If you are going into a building that has a door, who opens the door? You or your hubby?
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Outstrip(f): 5:47am On Jan 20, 2012
I think having the mentality that this is woman's work or this is man's work leads to taking each other for granted which leads to resentment. When you have that mentality you tend to minimize what the other person contributes afterall it is what they are supposed to do. No big deal. Having said that though I am willing to lean towards roles that women typically play as some of the ones he listed. Are those roles as a result of nuturing or they are actually a biological disposition as he has stated. Everything on his list works both ways in my household and in the households of my close circle of married friends and it works. The list you have on there basically in summary says the woman does every single thing the man does. The whole assist the man thing simply means that if the man fails the woman picks up the slack. Then who is the assistant to the woman. It is not a balanced formular and it is doomed to fail
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by MrsChima1(f): 6:48am On Jan 20, 2012
Princek12:

Answer these simple questions: (1) If you and your hubby were driving and you drove into a gas station to buy gasoline/petrol. Who pumps the gas? You or your hubby?

(2) If you are going into a building that has a door, who opens the door? You or your hubby?

1. Who buys the gas? It comes out the family budget that we both have established collectively. I mean WTF. Why the hell I even answered this question? undecided

2. Oga Chima, but it has nothing to do with a man's role. It is a courtesy thing to do when a person has a hand full or unable to open the door. undecided undecided

If I see a disabled man trying to open the door with his foot, I am not going to sit back and say that's a man's role to open the door for me. undecided Give me something tangible and sensible.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Beync(f): 7:25am On Jan 20, 2012
swich the roles, mix the roles, men and women play all these roles depending on circumstances.
let's erase all these hard and fast gender roles, even thou we know our roles as men and women.
Anyone can do anythin to suit situation thing are no longer same.
In reality, man has not been solely responsible for puting food on the table.
Op, Do you mean you will not cook food for your children in the absence of ur wife becos u it's not ur role?
Or would u expect ur wife to stay in the dark room till u come back before u can change the bulb becos it's not her role?
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Nobody: 7:45am On Jan 20, 2012
If u plan on living anywhere else in the world that is not nigeria, best throw a good chunk of that "role" mentality out the window.
U 2 get together and make things work.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Mynd44: 7:52am On Jan 20, 2012
Village thinking
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Nobody: 8:25am On Jan 20, 2012
The below list is not exhaustive, and it only represents the primary roles of each sex. When necessary, the other sex can step in and help in making sure the responsible party performs his or her duties. But each sex has the primary responsibility of making sure that the duties designated to him or her gets done. Also, if the other sex is sick, unavailable, or if any condition renders him or her from being unable to perform his or her duties, the other sex should step in and perform the duties.

Man
Being the provider;
making sure there is food on the table;
making sure the utilities are on;
washing the car(s);
cutting the grass and maintaining the yard, if any;
being the final decision maker;
head of the household;
making sure his wife get Enough Intimacy;
changing the light bulbs other things that need to be replaced; and
making sure that the car(s) are maintained and in good working order.

Woman
Washing dishes;
Doing the laundry, including folding and ironing;
cleaning the house;
cooking the food;
getting the kids ready for the school, if there are kids in the relationship;
changing the diapers of the baby, if needed;
assistant to the head of the household; and
satisfying her husband sexually.

Please add to the list if you have anything to add.
Bullshit!

"Dont smoke and open a thread. If you are to smoke, dont open a thread. If you are to open a thread, dont smoke!"
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 10:03am On Jan 20, 2012
Beync:

swich the roles, mix the roles, men and women play all these roles depending on circumstances.
let's erase all these hard and fast gender roles, even thou we know our roles as men and women.
Anyone can do anythin to suit situation thing are no longer same.
In reality, man has not been solely responsible for puting food on the table.
Op, Do you mean you will not cook food for your children in the absence of ur wife becos u it's not ur role?
Or would u expect ur wife to stay in the dark room till u come back before u can change the bulb becos it's not her role?

Do you read? If so do you comprehend what you read? If you answer yes to both questions then read what I posted and you will find answers to the concerns you posted. I have addressed them.

I said if the other party is unavailable or cannot perform her primary role then the other party should step in and perform.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 10:04am On Jan 20, 2012
2buff:

If u plan on living anywhere else in the world that is not nigeria, best throw a good chunk of that "role" mentality out the window.
U 2 get together and make things work.

That is not true. There are men who are still men. There are too many wussies who call themselves men these days, so that is why they would be willing to wear the skirt in the relationship.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 10:09am On Jan 20, 2012
Mrs, Chima:

1. Who buys the gas? ??? It comes out the family budget that we both have established collectively. I mean WTF. Why the hell I even answered this question? undecided

2. Oga Chima, but it has nothing to do with a man's role. It is a courtesy thing to do when a person has a hand full or unable to open the door. undecided undecided

If I see a disabled man trying to open the door with his foot, I am not going to sit back and say that's a man's role to open the door for me. undecided Give me something tangible and sensible.

You are importing facts and assuming facts into the question so as to come to a suitable answer for you. You essentially made up your questions.

Let me repeat.

I did not ask you about who buys or pays for the gas. I asked you who[b] pumps[/b] the gas? Does your hubby sit in the car while you pump the gas?

I did not ask you whether someone has his or her hands full and that the other person opens the door. If neither you or your hubby has anything on his hands, as you approach the door, do you open the door for your hubby so that he can walk through, or does your hubby open the door for you so that you can walk through the door?

Do you open the car doors for your hubby when you approach the car, or does your hubby (even if it is on occasion) open your car doors for you?
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 3:10pm On Jan 20, 2012
Outstrip:

I think having the mentality that this is woman's work or this is man's work leads to taking each other for granted which leads to resentment. When you have that mentality you tend to minimize what the other person contributes afterall it is what they are supposed to do. No big deal. Having said that though I am willing to lean towards roles that women typically play as some of the ones he listed. Are those roles as a result of nuturing or they are actually a biological disposition as he has stated. Everything on his list works both ways in my household and in the households of my close circle of married friends and it works. The list you have on there basically in summary says the woman does every single thing the man does. The whole assist the man thing simply means that if the man fails the woman picks up the slack. Then who is the assistant to the woman. It is not a balanced formular and it is doomed to fail

The whole assistant to the head of the household thingy inheres in the fact that there can only be one captain to ship--one head in a household. The man, I say, should be the head of the household.

As to picking up the slack when one party cannot perform his primary responsibilities, it applies to both men and women. If the man cannot perform, the woman picks up the slack; and if the woman cannot perform, the man picks up the slack.

Tell me how the formula is not balanced.

And who is the head of your own household, if you have any head of household?
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by MrsChima1(f): 3:31pm On Jan 20, 2012
Princek12:

You are importing facts and assuming facts into the question so as to come to a suitable answer for you. You essentially made up your questions.

Let me repeat.

I did not ask you about who buys or pays for the gas. I asked you who[b] pumps[/b] the gas? Does your hubby sit in the car while you pump the gas?

I did not ask you whether someone has his or her hands full and that the other person opens the door. If neither you or your hubby has anything on his hands, as you approach the door, do you open the door for your hubby so that he can walk through, or does your hubby open the door for you so that you can walk through the door?

Do you open the car doors for your hubby when you approach the car, or does your hubby (even if it is on occasion) open your car doors for you?

The answer is still the same. undecided Pay attention to the keyword: collectively.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Lists Requirements For His Wife To Be This 2024 / It’s December And This South African Lady Is Getting Dumped For No Reason / Lady Blasts Her Sister For Sleeping With Her Ex Boyfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.