Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,385 members, 7,812,135 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. (30837 Views)

A Man's Role in Creating A Nagging Woman / Men And Women: Please Know Your Role In Life / How Do You Approach a Lady for a Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 20, 2012
i agree with the list.

HOWEVER,

Satisfying the man s3xually (if and only when he is in the mood) and the man being the final decision maker?

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

For all else I am 'ok' with them. I dont see anything wrong with a woman taking care of domestic duties so long as the man does the physical labour to provide for the household. Its about being fair.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by queensmith: 3:47pm On Jan 20, 2012
only on a naija forum. . . . . shasha nuff bashing.

The list is hocum, the writer probably believes the trash because he is only familiar with village girls that have no education.

I didnt even know people had roles in relationships! smh many times!
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by MrsChima1(f): 4:09pm On Jan 20, 2012
Hmm.

What gets me is when many of them (men) complain that women depends on them TOO MUCH like gold diggers THEN say that women need to support themselves as well.

The roles listed above is exactly what a dependent woman with no power or hidden agendas will do.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by claremont(m): 4:55pm On Jan 20, 2012
Princek12:

What you say sounds good in theory but, as a practical matter, has no teeth. Who says a man or a woman has no primary role? A lot of these roles are based on biological dispositions, many of which are common to many cultures. If I may ask you, while you were growing up, assuming you grew up in a nuclear family, were there any roles that were more likely than not performed by your mother and not your father, and vice versa?

And you kind run your mouth as much as you want, you will not likely find a husband, particularly an African husband if you so desire, if you do not know how to cook.
The main question I have is; where do these so-called "primary roles" come from, who invented them?! If it is culture, then my comments still stands. Someone who is from a different culture will not buy-in to these roles. If the roles stem from religion i.e. the Bible states that a woman should be a "help-meet" to the man, it still doesn't hold water because religion is not in a position to define primary roles for human beings. If you say a lot of these roles are based on "biological dispositions", then you are completely wrong again; let's not even go there.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 5:35pm On Jan 20, 2012
claremont:

The main question I have is; where do these so-called "primary roles" come from, who invented them?! If it is culture, then my comments still stands. Someone who is from a different culture will not buy-in to these roles. If the roles stem from religion i.e. the Bible states that a woman should be a "help-meet" to the man, it still doesn't hold water because religion is not in a position to define primary roles for human beings. If you say a lot of these roles are based on "biological dispositions", then you are completely wrong again; let's not even go there.

The roles come as a result of biological disposition. If you took biology in school, and you studied the female and male propensities in lower animals, you will understand what I am talking about. Most of what I wrote transcends all cultures.

Let me ask you some questions:

Who proposes to who in a relationship?

Who buys the engagement ring?

If you and your hubby drive to a fuel station, who comes out of the car to hold the nozzle and pump the gas in the car?

When you and your hubby approach the entrance to a building, and if both of you have free hands, who opens the door for whom?

Give me the reasons for your answer?
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 5:37pm On Jan 20, 2012
Mrs, Chima:

The answer is still the same. undecided Pay attention to the keyword: collectively.

so you "collectively' go to the fuel pump, collectively hold the nozzle, and collectively pump the fuel.

You collectively open the door for each other.

Awwwww!!! That is so romantic!.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 5:55pm On Jan 20, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

i agree with the list.

HOWEVER,

Satisfying the man s3xually (if and only when he is in the mood) and the man being the final decision maker?

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

For all else I am 'ok' with them. I dont see anything wrong with a woman taking care of domestic duties so long as the man does the physical labour to provide for the household. Its about being fair.

When I mean final decision maker, I do not mean that he has to unilaterally make decisions. Decision making should be done by both parties, but the man should be the final decision maker when both parties cannot reach a decision. When that happens, someone has to call the shot, and who other than the head of the household. You can only have one captain in the ship, one captain of a plane,one president in a country, and of course, one head of a household. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have to give you credit for at least being practical and fair, as not many women on Nairaland are fair.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by horny4u(f): 6:52pm On Jan 20, 2012
Man
Being the provider;Yes
making sure there is food on the table; YES
making sure the utilities are on; YES
washing the car(s); YES PLS
cutting the grass and maintaining the yard, if any; EMPLOY SOMEONE ELSE PETTY HUSTLE
being the final decision maker; YES FREES ME TO SUBMIT , PREFER TO A Taken In Hand MARRIAGE ANYWAY
head of the household; OH YES
making sure his wife get Enough Intimacy; YES PLS
changing the light bulbs other things that need to be replaced; and YES PLS
making sure that the car(s) are maintained and in good working order. YES

Woman
Washing dishes; YES
Doing the laundry, including folding and ironing; YES
cleaning the house; YES
cooking the food; YES
getting the kids ready for the school, if there are kids in the relationship; BOTH OF US O; KIDS NEED TO GET BOTHS ATTENTION
changing the diapers of the baby, if needed; BOTH OF US O
assistant to the head of the household; and YES
satisfying her husband sexually. YES SIR

In my opinion when it concerns kids we are going to giving them equal attention : its important for their balance, I am not for the papa provides and disappears , he will play football with our soon and suwe with our daughter no matter how silly it makes him seem, Dad daycare o.
I agree to all else, there is strong power in letting my man take the decision jare, i can relax.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 7:05pm On Jan 20, 2012
horny4u:

Man
Being the provider;Yes
making sure there is food on the table; YES
making sure the utilities are on; YES
washing the car(s); YES PLS
cutting the grass and maintaining the yard, if any; EMPLOY SOMEONE ELSE PETTY HUSTLE
being the final decision maker; YES FREES ME TO SUBMIT , PREFER TO A Taken In Hand MARRIAGE ANYWAY
head of the household; OH YES
making sure his wife get Enough Intimacy; YES PLS
changing the light bulbs other things that need to be replaced; and YES PLS
making sure that the car(s) are maintained and in good working order. YES

Woman
Washing dishes; YES
Doing the laundry, including folding and ironing; YES
cleaning the house; YES
cooking the food; YES
getting the kids ready for the school, if there are kids in the relationship; BOTH OF US O; KIDS NEED TO GET BOTHS ATTENTION
changing the diapers of the baby, if needed; BOTH OF US O
assistant to the head of the household; and YES
satisfying her husband sexually. YES SIR

In my opinion when it concerns kids we are going to giving them equal attention : its important for their balance, I am not for the papa provides and disappears , he will play football with our soon and suwe with our daughter no matter how silly it makes him seem, Dad daycare o.
I agree to all else, there is strong power in letting my man take the decision jare, i can relax.

God Bless You

I agree with you, too, that the father should be actively involved with his children's lives, including playing with them and changing diapers. Like I said, it is not a hard and fast rule, but just a guide of primary roles.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jan 20, 2012
Meh. Such views are popular when young or when joking. But the more you grow up and begin to FEEL and place yourself in your partner's shoes, the more you see how it wouldnt be fair to not give them a choice and work things Out.

It's why some typical Nigerian marriages fail out here, where there is an abundance of female FREEDOM.

That being said, the man still gets to make the final decisions on crucial issues, but this comes largely from respect. There are things a man does to gain the respect privileges to this right, eg if the fam has only one car, be sure you give that to your wife while u use public transport, etc.

Don't act like GEJ who budgets N1B for his personal feeding after subjecting the rest of the country he governs to starvation. Such insensitivites will meet you with STIFF opposition when It's time to make those "final decisions".
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jan 20, 2012
2buff:

Such views are popular when young. But the more you grow up and begin to FEEL and place yourself in your partner's shoes, the more you see how it wouldnt be fair to not give them a choice and work things out.

It's why some typical Nigerian marriages fail out here.

Yes while men behaving as if they own women might be the reason for spousal conflicts in africa its the LACK of role playing that is the reason why divorce in the west is frequent. There is a time and a place for everything. Im not going to be a victim nor a supreme feminist in my household. I will respect my role as the woman (the nurturer) while demanding my respect AND respecting my partners role as the man of the house. There has to be respect and balance.

Being a woman is not and should not be an issue. Its not about being second class its about realizing that we birth the children for a reason. Im not going to climb a light post to prove I am just as good as the men. Lol I can see some of my sisters are not feeling this,thread but come on. The reality is there are separate roles for men and women.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Beync(f): 7:36pm On Jan 20, 2012
It apeals to u only when we say yes to all those things u mentioned but know that it's not all what u think. Situation, Couples or families differs with different roles, preferences and even location can effect ur roles as a man or woman.
Most of you complain that we should not be dependent on u men, we should emulate our foreign counterparts and stop living as parasites on men, as in women should work, takecare of themselves and contribute financially to the union. I hope those roles u have listed apply to whether white or black or are there some particular race where the men demands these roles from their women?
Mrs, Chima:

Hmm.

What gets me is when many of them (men) complain that women depends on them TOO MUCH like gold diggers THEN say that women need to support themselves as well.

The roles listed above is exactly what a dependent woman with no power or hidden agendas will do.

What do u say about this also?
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 20, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

Yes while men behaving as if they own women might be the reason for spousal conflicts in africa its the LACK of role playing that is the reason why divorce in the west is frequent. There is a time and a place for everything. Im not going to be a victim nor a supreme feminist in my household. I will respect my role as the woman (the nurturer) while demanding my respect AND respecting my partners role as the man of the house. There has to be respect and balance.

Being a woman is not and should not be an issue. Its not about being second class its about realizing that we birth the children for a reason. Im not going to climb a light post to prove I am just as good as the men. Lol I can see some of my sisters are not feeling this,thread but come on. The reality is there are separate roles for men and women.

It takes a mature lady who thinks on a much better plane to get it like u have.
What I wrote there is an accommodation to those females who think females should be free to do whatever and not woman up their role (cuz we know they are much more than your precious rare kind). With their freedom must come their choice to CHOOSE to take up their rightful roles when they see where the family is going. Many have done so midway.

If THEY never chose it, it will simply feel like slavery. And a slave, when free (eg we don land Yankee), will despise whomever they perceived as their slave driver.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by ronkebp(f): 7:54pm On Jan 20, 2012
ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Mynd44: 8:49pm On Jan 20, 2012
sexkillz:

Bullshit!

"Dont smoke and open a thread. If you are to smoke, dont open a thread. If you are to open a thread, dont smoke!"

Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by ng4am(f): 9:14pm On Jan 20, 2012
Op, i agree with u 80% Cos when it comes to d kids its a collective issue Feminism and western life is dstroyn marriages
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by claremont(m): 9:56pm On Jan 20, 2012
Well, according to the Bible, women should be silent and hold their husbands in complete reverence. That sounds dumb to me!

Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 9:58pm On Jan 20, 2012
Mrs, Chima:

Hmm.  

The gold digger situation is where a woman dates a man solely for the purpose of deriving a monetary or other benefit. We are not talking about that here. Here, we are talking about a man providing for his wife and family, which markedly differs from a gold digging arrangement. Presumably the wife loves her husband and vice versa, and whatever money you spend on her should not be a reason for calling her a gold digger.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by nene1: 10:26pm On Jan 20, 2012
I don't see anything wrong with this list. In fact this is how I want my marriage to be. BOTH partners are doing work in the relationship. if my man is cleaning the yard, washing our cars, fixing things in the house, I would be happy to cook and clean and take care of the kids. It is a fair list and splits the work fairly. Even if I am working, which I still plan to do when I get married, I don't mind doing all those things if he is also doing his part. Plus, when it comes to the kids, I want them to feel like they have a mother. WHo else will take care of your kids if you don't?

Now in circumstances where say, unfortunatley the husband may have lost his job, then he will just do moe to help around then and help with the kids. If both partners have respect, understanding and communication between them, they will work out what is best for them.

I don't think it is demeaning to women as I don't think cooking for your family and keeping your house clean is demeaning. If you want to be treated like a princess, then you should treat him like a prince.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by nene1: 10:38pm On Jan 20, 2012
Princek12:

The roles come as a result of biological disposition. If you took biology in school, and you studied the female and male propensities in lower animals, you will understand what I am talking about. Most of what I wrote transcends all cultures.

Let me ask you some questions:

Who proposes to who in a relationship?

Who buys the engagement ring?

If you and your hubby drive to a fuel station, who comes out of the car to hold the nozzle and pump the gas in the car?

When you and your hubby approach the entrance to a building, and if both of you have free hands, who opens the door for whom?

Give me the reasons for your answer?

Well said. People can try to argue all they want, but we cannot change the way God made us. I have more questions to add:

Who is the one who carried the baby for 9 months?

Who is made to breastfeed the baby?

How many women will willingly marry a guy who says he wants to be a stay at home dad so she goes out and work?

Most women know deep down if they could marry a wealthy man and stay home they would. Most women know deep down they look for a man who is financially secure b/c it is his role to work and provide. They may act is if they don't care about his financial status, but we ALL do to an extent. Even the educated professional and independent women. Why do they have a hard time finding a man? There are many men, but they want a man who makes more. Finding a man is not what is hard, but finding a man on "their level" who makes just as much if not more than they do is what is harder. Why so? Aren't they independent already? No matter how independent a woman is she will always want a man who is financially secure. Let's be real here.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by nene1: 10:39pm On Jan 20, 2012
Any african who is not too westernized will agree with this. Even some westerners will agree with this.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by nene1: 10:45pm On Jan 20, 2012
Princek12:

so you "collectively' go to the fuel pump, collectively hold the nozzle, and collectively pump the fuel.

She's dodging the question as she knew she didn't have a point. Even western women who claim to be so independent, still expect a man to do things like open the door and pull out her chair. If we all can do the same things, why don't they start opening doors and pulling out chairs.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Outstrip(f): 10:46pm On Jan 20, 2012
nene1 is arguing with herself. You are saying what everybody said and yet you claim that they are too westernized. SMH. read your posts again
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by MrsChima1(f): 11:31pm On Jan 20, 2012
Outstrip:

nene1 is arguing with herself. You are saying what everybody said and yet you claim that they are too westernized. SMH. read your posts again

Exactly! You were all up in my mind! Get out girl! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

nene1:

She's dodging the question as she knew she didn't have a point. Even western women who claim to be so independent, still expect a man to do things like open the door and pull out her chair. If we all can do the same things, why don't they start opening doors and pulling out chairs.

I have a [size=22pt]LIFE[/size] outside of Nairaland and sometimes my responses may not be as swift as the chat zombies. Some of us (women) are blessed to be able to work outside of the home and not watch Nollywood movies all day waiting on Big Papa. wink

It doesn't take much to clean a house, cook a meal, and send the children to school. What are YOU DOING when all of that is done in 3 hours? If it takes all day to clean a house, you are nasty. If it takes all day to cook, hire a cook.

The "West" isn't responsible for YOUR unhappiness and lack thereof. If being a lapdog waiting by the doggy door makes you happy, THEN WHY ARE YOU MAD?
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by MrsChima1(f): 11:36pm On Jan 20, 2012
Princek12:

The gold digger situation is where a woman dates a man solely for the purpose of deriving a monetary or other benefit. We are not talking about that here. Here, we are talking about a man providing for his wife and family, which markedly differs from a gold digging arrangement. Presumably the wife loves her husband and vice versa, and whatever money you spend on her should not be a reason for calling her a gold digger.

Read slowly.

The men that I have heard OUTSIDE OF NAIRALAND in all RACES have complained their WIVES are too dependent on them and they need to contribute to the relationship financially.

Loving a wife or a husband doesn't have a damn thing to do with paying bills. If that was the case, many people would be at the bank cashing their loves to pay their house and car notes. If both parties need to work to sustain the household then IT SHOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM.

Pride is one of the seven deadliest sins. Don't let it consume you.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by MrsChima1(f): 11:38pm On Jan 20, 2012
Princek12:

Thanks.   wink Some people are romantically r3tarded unfortunately. lipsrsealed
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 11:41pm On Jan 20, 2012
Mrs, Chima:

Thanks.   wink Some people are romantically r3tarded unfortunately. lipsrsealed

I am glad you know that. You are not woman enough to answer a simple question, but you have the audacity to say some people are romantically retarded.

I smell romantic retardation in "collectively" pumping gas at the pump.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by MrsChima1(f): 11:45pm On Jan 20, 2012
2buff:

It takes a mature lady who thinks on a much better plane to get it like u have.
What I wrote there is an accommodation to those females who think females should be free to do whatever and not woman up their role (cuz we know they are much more than your precious rare kind). With their freedom must come their choice to CHOOSE to take up their rightful roles when they see where the family is going. Many have done so midway.

If THEY never chose it, it will simply feel like slavery. And a slave, when free (eg we don land Yankee), will despise whomever they perceived as their slave driver.

Last time I have checked humans aren't for sale legally in the West.  Unless the "freedom" women aren't breaking any laws then they have the right to do whatever they want to within the boundaries of the law.  

Who really "dictates" rightful roles?  Most certainly not you.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 11:46pm On Jan 20, 2012
Mrs, Chima:

Read slowly.  

The men that I have heard OUTSIDE OF NAIRALAND in all RACES have complained their WIVES are too dependent on them and they need to contribute to the relationship financially.  

Loving a wife or a husband doesn't have a damn thing to do with paying bills.  If that was the case, many people would be at the bank cashing their loves to pay their house and car notes.  If both parties need to work to sustain the household then IT SHOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM.  

Pride is one of the seven deadliest sins.  Don't let it consume you.  

you have allowed feminism to skew your ability to use common sense to look at how a man and a woman deals together. Gold digging is another issue, and I have not said that there is anything wrong with a woman contributing financially to the upkeep of the house. What I have said is that there are certain primary duties that each party in the relationship has.

And a woman being too dependent on a man does not mean she is a gold digger. Being a gold digger is all about the intent of the woman:whether she is dating the man solely for the man's money. A man who is taking care of the upkeep of the house can still have a woman who works and makes her own money, which she spends on herself.

How does a man being primarily responsible for taking care of the bills of the house translate to a woman being too dependent on the man. I never said that the woman cannot work and make her own money if she chooses to do so.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by MrsChima1(f): 11:47pm On Jan 20, 2012
Princek12:

I am glad you know that. You are not woman enough to answer a simple question, but you have the audacity to say some people are romantically slow.

I smell romantic retardation in "collectively" pumping gas at the pump.

You are not smart enough to know sarcasm if it hit you dead in the face.  Secondly, I answered your question and you didn't like the answer.  

Be man enough to accept it.   Simple.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by MrsChima1(f): 11:52pm On Jan 20, 2012
Princek12:

you have allowed feminism to skew your ability to use common sense to look at how a man and a woman deals together. Gold digging is another issue, and I have not said that there is anything wrong with a woman contributing financially to the upkeep of the house. What I have said is that there are certain primary duties that each party in the relationship has.

And a woman being too dependent on a man does not mean she is a gold digger. Being a gold digger is all about the intent of the woman:whether she is dating the man solely for the man's money. A man who is taking care of the upkeep of the house can still have a woman who works and makes her own money, which she spends on herself.

How does a man being primarily responsible for taking care of the bills of the house translate to a woman being too dependent on the man. I never said that the woman cannot work and make her own money if she chooses to do so.

Apparently these men have an issue with their DEPENDENT WIVES and feel that they need to contribute to the house as well.   Let it go. 

If being able to speak my mind without legal persecution is Feminist, I proudly wear the crown.   wink

Don't let chauvinism kill you.
Re: Summary Of A Man's Role And A Woman's Role In A Relationship. by Princek12(m): 12:02am On Jan 21, 2012
Mrs, Chima:

Apparently these men have an issue with their DEPENDENT WIVES and feel that they need to contribute to the house as well.   Let it go. 

If being able to speak my mind without legal persecution is Feminist, I proudly wear the crown.   wink

Don't let chauvinism kill you. 

Like I said, the so called dependent wives can contribute, and there is nothing wrong with that if the parties decide that is what they want to do.

Like I said from my post, it is a discussion about PRIMARY responsibility, not ABSOLUTE responsibility. There is a difference between both, and I have stated it. The fact that a man asks his woman to contribute does not remove it from being his PRIMARY responsibility.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

It’s December And This South African Lady Is Getting Dumped For No Reason / Is It Possible To Finger A Virgin? / Lady Blasts Her Sister For Sleeping With Her Ex Boyfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.