Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,852 members, 7,862,787 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 06:38 AM

Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? - Family (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (45780 Views)

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? / Is Marriage An Achievement? / Is Marriage A Bed Of Roses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Feb 11, 2012
who da hell has time to be cooking everyday?. . . . unless he agrees to cook every other day.

Nigerian men and their unnecessary conditions. mtchewww
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by moremi2008(m): 3:47am On Feb 12, 2012
ronkebp:

what of men that do not like 2nd or 3rd day soup or stew? na to de cook almost everyday be dat.

To be honest, I had never heard of that syndrome before until I stayed with one of my Dad's old friends for a week. This man demands a fresh pot of soup cooked by his wife EVERYDAY. I am not kidding oh! The man is very rich and his wife is a successful lawyer but she leaves work early to come prepare fresh soup for her husband! Her maids (she had two of them) would have already gone to the market to purchase fresh ingredients and she just comes home to do the cooking herself every single day, including the weekend. I swear to God, I was shocked and a little scared. I refused to eat the soup oh! I always made-up some kind of excuse. What kind of man makes such odd, specific demands like that? Why doesn't he just hire a full-time chef (they had a LOT of domestic staff and it wouldn't take much to just add another one). Sounded like jazz to me, and I wanted to have no part to do with it! Me I no wan eat jazz soup oh!
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:24am On Feb 12, 2012
Rofl. Ive heard of such people but I thought it was a myth.

what a psycho.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 6:46am On Feb 12, 2012
If you've ever lived the village life you'd appreciate fresh stew, haha!
Ileke-IdI:

who da hell has time to be cooking everyday?. . . . unless he agrees to cook every other day.

God bless you. Was beggining to think i was alone in this. I will never understand it!
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by dayokanu(m): 4:31pm On Feb 12, 2012
If you want a pot of soup everyday then marry 7 wives 1 per day to cook
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ronkebp(f): 4:44pm On Feb 12, 2012
Sagamite:

A "worst" a single person does not have to put up with.

Exactly my point to dunces calling themselves Analytical, marriage has cons of its own.

Better bring enough bacon home for her to be a housewife comfortably.

Otherwise get in the kitchen most times to do it yourself.
Or buy your fresh soup on your way home from work.
that is what am talking about, we are beginning to get through to you. smiley smiley smiley
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ronkebp(f): 4:59pm On Feb 12, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Rofl. Ive heard of such people but I thought it was a myth.

what a psycho.
My dear, i know so many people that do not like 2 days soup, my hubby is one, at first i thought it was a joke, until it dawned on me that he really does not like 2nd day soup, although he eats it anyway, but he will never eat a 4 day old soup, and he knows how to cook very well, and cooks sometimes, infact the fish stew i am eating right now, he cooked it, so my work is limited, as long as you can enter the kitchen and cook something, then please do as you wish by all means, smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:01pm On Feb 12, 2012
well it works to you cos he knows how to make what he wants.

now the ones that cant even boil water yet condemning "2 day soup" are a whole different situation that I dont wish on any woman.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ronkebp(f): 5:02pm On Feb 12, 2012
dayokanu:

If you want a pot of soup everyday then marry 7 wives 1 per day to cook

the man will end up dead one day from eating poison. wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ronkebp(f): 5:05pm On Feb 12, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

well it works to you cos he knows how to make what he wants.

now the ones that cant even boil water yet condemning "2 day soup" are a whole different situation that I dont wish on any woman.

oh yeah!!!! oooo they will end up eating 2 weeks old soup, they no get choice, cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Feb 12, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

urgh. i want to throw up sometimes when i see the entirely illogical "nigerian men" comment. There are american men whose wives cook for them everyday as well, infact i once lived with such a couple 6 yrs ago and they are both as white as you could get. If you do not wish to cook everyday then find a man who doesnt insist on such - simple. Its not like anyone is forcing you.

moremi2008:

To be honest, I had never heard of that syndrome before until I stayed with one of my Dad's old friends for a week. This man demands a fresh pot of soup cooked by his wife EVERYDAY. I am not kidding oh! The man is very rich and his wife is a successful lawyer but she leaves work early to come prepare fresh soup for her husband! Her maids (she had two of them) would have already gone to the market to purchase fresh ingredients and she just comes home to do the cooking herself every single day, including the weekend. I swear to God, I was shocked and a little scared. I refused to eat the soup oh! I always made-up some kind of excuse. What kind of man makes such odd, specific demands like that? Why doesn't he just hire a full-time chef (they had a LOT of domestic staff and it wouldn't take much to just add another one). Sounded like jazz to me,  and I wanted to have no part to do with it! Me I no wan eat jazz soup oh!

what's the problem with the above? Do you know what the man sacrifices for his wife? If she isnt complaining then why are you? Its not like she ever mentioned she was tired of doing the daily cooking abi? Some women just enjoy doing it. A friend of mine once had a gf who just loved to cook. . . no matter how busy she was, she would cook for 4 men a different dish every day and drive 4 hrs from her own work station to deliver it. Pls enough of making simple matters look like punishment. Our women are now getting lazy.  grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Sagamite(m): 5:15pm On Feb 12, 2012
ronkebp:

that is what am talking about, we are beginning to get through to you. smiley smiley smiley

Er ma wo ergbe yi! grin (Make una dey see this slacker)

I have always been the king of objectivity, reason and fairness. tongue grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:20pm On Feb 12, 2012
Everyone always know some imaginary person with unrealistic demands and oddly enough they supposedly found someone who is fine with it all. abeg. story.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by chika98: 5:25pm On Feb 12, 2012
^^^ DIESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS okay now that was funny grin grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Sagamite(m): 5:27pm On Feb 12, 2012
There is a lawyer I know, he was telling me about one of his clients from Nigeria.

This couple have been married for about 8 years and are blessed with 2 kids. The guy loves his wife and his family and he is trying to do his best for them. He was trying to apply for some paperwork to live and work in the UK (I can't remember which, maybe HSMP etc).

For them to be able to qualify and obtain the paperwork for the whole family, the guy has to provide a valid marriage certificate and proof of parenthood of both kids.

They lawyer recommended and sent them to a blood test agent he knows in Nigeria to get verification that they are both the parents of the kids.

Since that day, the wife has been calling the lawyer daily to find out the results and saying she should be the first to be notified of the results when released.  grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Feb 12, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Everyone always know some imaginary person with unrealistic demands and oddly enough they supposedly found someone who is fine with it all. abeg. story.

asking that your woman cooks for you everyday is now classed as "unrealistic demands"? Does a man take a break from working to pay the bills? It is no wonder so many with their fancy ideas are still single. Thankfully the decision to marry is not by force.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by chika98: 5:51pm On Feb 12, 2012
davidylan:

asking that your woman cooks for you everyday is now classed as "unrealistic demands"? Does a man take a break from working to pay the bills? It is no wonder so many with their fancy ideas are still single. Thankfully the decision to marry is not by force.

Asking your woman in this obodo oyibo to cook every single day for you is unrealistic. It has nothing to do with being single. Actually that's an archaic way of thinking. I haven't met a guy here who thinks or wants a woman who can cook everyday for him. If anything most of em just want someone who can cook in bulk that way you can freeze it and eat whenever. Hey by all means make sure you find a woman who is fine with cooking everyday. Let her know you expect that from her.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 12, 2012
chika98:

Asking your woman in this obodo oyibo to cook every single day for you is unrealistic. It has nothing to do with being single. Actually that's an archaic way of thinking. I haven't met a guy here who thinks or wants a woman who can cook everyday for him. If anything most of em just want someone who can cook in bulk that way you can freeze it and eat whenever. Hey by all means make sure you find a woman who is fine with cooking everyday. Let her know you expect that from her.

Actually i dont think there is any man that insists that his woman cooks every single day. . . that is unfair. But there are women who do so, not because they are forced to but just because cooking to them is a passion. Nothing archaic about that.
you also claim that "most men" look for a woman to cook in bulk for them so they can freeze it . . . apparently you are the one with the archaic thinking. Most of the men i know dont want that anymore, i for one barely eat anything frozen. I would rather go to the store and cook a fresh dinner by myself and cook her own too.
Secondly i dont know where you get the idea that i am seeking a woman to cook for me daily, i cook very well and do most of my own cooking no wahala even with a woman available.

I just notice much of the "archaic thinking" and "who wants to cook everyday" comments come from those who are single and have no idea what it is to be in committed relationships where give and take is critical.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by chika98: 6:09pm On Feb 12, 2012
davidylan:

Actually i dont think there is any man that insists that his woman cooks every single day. . . that is unfair. But there are women who do so, not because they are forced to but just because cooking to them is a passion. Nothing archaic about that.
you also claim that "most men" look for a woman to cook in bulk for them so they can freeze it . . . apparently you are the one with the archaic thinking. Most of the men i know dont want that anymore, i for one barely eat anything frozen. I would rather go to the store and cook a fresh dinner by myself and cook her own too.
Secondly i dont know where you get the idea that i am seeking a woman to cook for me daily, i cook very well and do most of my own cooking no wahala even with a woman available.

I just notice much of the "archaic thinking" and "who wants to cook everyday" comments come from those who are single and have no idea what it is to be in committed relationships where give and take is critical.

Then we're essentially saying the same thing. Your previous comment was [b]" asking that your woman cooks for you everyday is now classed as "unrealistic demands"?"[/b]This is what i based my comment on.

You haven't got the slightest idea if I'm a single woman or not. Generalizations is a terrible thing.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Feb 12, 2012
You are just as guilty of the generalizing. Here is an earlier comment from you:

chika98:

you have not the slightest idea what i expect from my woman either. Cuts both ways.

chika98:

Then we're essentially saying the same thing. Your previous comment was [b]" asking that your woman cooks for you everyday is now classed as "unrealistic demands"?"[/b]This is what i based my comment on.

I dont think we are saying the same thing. While i dont demand my woman cooks for me daily (because i enjoy cooking myself and like the chance to experiment), there are other women who enjoy cooking for their families on a daily basis. their husbands are not "archaic" and "unrealistically demanding". It is a choice that should be respected.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 6:15pm On Feb 12, 2012
Not even the genralization its the nuiscance assumptions.

Im suprised at this discussion actually ,are u now trying to deny that most 'typical' nigerian marriages doesnt see the wife working and cooking every blessed day?

And in addition to that most men do expect women to work and cook every blessed day?

Or maybe its not nigerians ive been seein wit my korokoro eyes sha.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by chika98: 6:21pm On Feb 12, 2012
davidylan:

You are just as guilty of the generalizing. Here is an earlier comment from you:

you have not the slightest idea what i expect from my woman either. Cuts both ways.

I dont think we are saying the same thing. While i dont demand my woman cooks for me daily (because i enjoy cooking myself and like the chance to experiment), there are other women who enjoy cooking for their families on a daily basis. their husbands are not "archaic" and "unrealistically demanding". It is a choice that should be respected.

I never said I did. I just said whatever they are; let the woman know. Why would I know your expectations? Inukwa!

Wait what? But that isn't what we're on about here.[b] "asking that your woman cooks for you everyday is now classed as "unrealistic demands"?"[/b]This statement by you is what I'm on about. There's a big difference between a woman who enjoys cooking everyday and a woman who is ASKED to cook everyday. Those are two different things. Of course a lot of women enjoy cooking (myself included) so if she wants to do it out of her own free will then fine but being asked to do so when one isn't willing is a different thing altogether. This is what I'm on about basically
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Feb 12, 2012
queensmith:

Not even the genralization its the nuiscance assumptions.

Im suprised at this discussion actually ,are u now trying to deny that most 'typical' nigerian marriages doesnt see the wife working and cooking every blessed day?

And in addition to that most men do expect women to work and cook every blessed day?

Or maybe its not nigerians ive been seein wit my korokoro eyes sha.

and i suspect most Danish marriages expect the sons to do the working and cooking every blessed day? So the idea that a woman should cook is a uniquely nigerian idea? Talk of "nuisance assumptions" . . . some people are so far buried in the sands of ignorance and denial that they cant see the irony in their own statements.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Feb 12, 2012
chika98:

I never said I did. I just said whatever they are; let the woman know. Why would I know your expectations? Inukwa!

Wait what? But that isn't what we're on about here.[b] "asking that your woman cooks for you everyday is now classed as "unrealistic demands"?"[/b]This statement by you is what I'm on about. There's a big difference between a woman who enjoys cooking everyday and a woman who is ASKED to cook everyday. Those are two different things. Of course a lot of women enjoy cooking (myself included) so if she wants to do it out of her own free will then fine but being asked to do so when one isn't willing is a different thing altogether. This is what I'm on about basically

IMO, marriage is not a slave contract so no man has the right to order his wife to cook everyday. If that is what she wants to do because she enjoys doing it, why should someone else judge her or her husband as having "unrealistic demands"?
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by chika98: 6:30pm On Feb 12, 2012
davidylan:

IMO, marriage is not a slave contract so no man has the right to order his wife to cook everyday. If that is what she wants to do because she enjoys doing it, why should someone else judge her or her husband as having "unrealistic demands"?

So aren't we saying the same thing? If she does so out of her own free will then that's lovely. She isn't complaning and she's happy doing so. I only said it was unrealistic to ASK or ORDER that she cooks everyday which is essentially what you're saying as well. *sigh*
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Feb 12, 2012
chika98:

So aren't we saying the same thing? If she does so out of her own free will then that's lovely. She isn't complaning and she's happy doing so. I only said it was unrealistic to ASK or ORDER that she cooks everyday which is essentially what you're saying as well. *sigh*

Only an id[i]i[/i]ot "orders" his wife to cook for him and that is not the issue. I was only reacting to the judgmental statements i've seen here so far.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by chika98: 6:42pm On Feb 12, 2012
davidylan:

Only an id[i]i[/i]ot "orders" his wife to cook for him and that is not the issue. I was only reacting to the judgmental statements i've seen here so far.

Right! Okay then carry on. As you were. . . . .
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 6:51pm On Feb 12, 2012
here we go david *rolls eyes* probably not buried as deep as you are in denial. Highlight where it was stated the activity is exclusive to Nigerians? Do yourself a favour and try not to take everything soo personal.

we're not speaking of the danish the sweedes, or the ghanians, we are talking about Nigerians. I dont care for either of the former.

Most typical Nigerian wives cook for their husbands everyday. I know many men that have never seen the insides of their own kitchens. You can debate it all night long this will remain a fact. and yes, its cultural!
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Feb 12, 2012
queensmith:

Most typical Nigerian wives cook for their husbands everyday. I know many men that have never seen the insides of their own kitchens. You can debate it all night long this will remain a fact. and yes, its cultural!

Lets assume this is true, what is wrong with it? Perhaps there are just some men that hate to cook and their wives have taken it upon themselves to make this part of "family" their own.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 7:03pm On Feb 12, 2012
^^ that should have been your response in the first place. Everything is wrong with a man not contributing to the household chores. How a woman can be working during the day and again during the night without help is beyond me.

and to it being 'the passion' for a woman to cook, i havent heard such bullshit- try the burden her culture has placed on her. Aint nothing fantastic about being a slave.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Feb 12, 2012
queensmith:

^^ that should have been your response in the first place. Everything is wrong with a man not contributing to the household chores. How a woman can be working during the day and again during the night without help is beyond me.

actually i know some women who see nothing to household chores and even prefer to do it alone with no help from their husbands. The fact that you cant see yourself doing that does not make it wrong. We are all guilty of extrapolating our own ideas to someone else's lives.

queensmith:

and to it being 'the passion' for a woman to cook, i havent heard such bullshit- try the burden her culture has placed on her. Aint nothing fantastic about being a slave.

that's outright nonsense. I know women who GENUINELY love to cook and could literarily do it all day, all week. Its nothing to do with "culture". I know nigerian women who can barely cook an egg and american women who would rather sleep in the oven. Lets be objective here.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by cfours: 7:16pm On Feb 12, 2012
davidylan:

I personally will have no qualms cooking for my husband everyday as long as he makes a very very very very decent income and I am a full time housewife.
In fact, I won't mind cooking the most fanciful meals everyday and scrubbing the bathroom twice a day.
get rich and marry a wife to stay at home. then your fantasy may come true. you hear?

otherwise, you may find yourself eating processed iyan and left over stew 4 times a week. women are not machines to work equal hours as men and still have to come home to work 2nd unpaid job.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (36) (Reply)

Wife Catches Her Husband Cheating, Throws Out His Belongings / Men That Their Wives Are The Breadwinners; How Do You Cope? / Men, Stop Setting Unnecessary Standards That You Will Never Meet.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.