Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:03 AM

Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. (70358 Views)

The Edos And The Rains / The Edos / The Edos & The Children Of Israel - Born Of The Same Father! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Obiagu1(m): 12:46am On Feb 05, 2012
ezeagu:

For me, Bini and Yoruba has always been like Igbo and Efik/Ibibio. I don't see a situation in which Edo is more culturally close to Igbo, at least this isn't the situation in Nigeria, what's closer than sharing origins of your paramount leaders? I do agree that Bini or Edo people look more eastern though. Apart from that, Bini and Igbo have influenced each other over the last 500 years, but nothing compared to the relationship with Yoruba.

I'm guessing Yoruba.

Really, from Onitsha to Agbo
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Nobody: 12:48am On Feb 05, 2012
...pls delete
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by naijaking1: 12:49am On Feb 05, 2012
oduasolja:

i DEY LAUGH OHH.

IGBO wan claim edo . well heres what the oba of benin wrote about the igbos in his autobiography.

Akenzua wrote:

[b]quote:
The Igbo philosophy seems to be “money maketh a man” and the Igbo man is prepared to sink to any level or scale the highest mountain to get money…No job is too menial for the Igbo man

, I think there are two main reasons why “the Igbo are everywhere.”

First, as I have stated, the Igbos will go to any length in search of money and since they are more willing than any other tribe to do any type of work, no matter how menial, they are ready and cheap source of labour everywhere.

Another reason for their migration… is terribly overpopulated by its 12 million or so inhabitants, so that the Igbo is constantly on the move in serch of a place to stand in.

While I admire the Igbos for their energy and industry, their insatiable desire for money makes me sick.

…I have stated elsewhere in this narrative that the Igbo does not believe that any kindness can be gratuitous and would doubt your sincerity if you were prepared to do any favour for him without demanding or accepting a consideration.

As a matter of fact the Igbo man makes the offer before he begins to ask for the help he seeks. This remarks should, however, not be taken to mean that there are no honest people among them.

There certainly are, but by and large, the average Igbo man seeks gain from whatever he does.

…One common charge against the Igbo is that if you give them an inch they will demand (and quite often take) a mile.

An Igbo man in search of residential accommodation is prepared to pay rent for even your kitchen store. Within a week of his moving in, about half a dozen “brothers” come to “visit” him; within a fortnight more of them arrive. He then pleads with you to allow them temporary accommodation in the house but soon they have become permanent and taken every available space in your house.

There would be nothing wrong with this if they remained as tenant. But the sad part of it is that before the owner knows what is happening these tenants are dangling money before his eyes for the purchase of the house itself or the adjoining land.

The money comes to hand quite easily either through concerted efforts or some wealthy “brothers” or the tribal union, and overnight the owner of the house becomes a tenant on his own land.

In like manner, they have surreptitiously ousted “nationals” of the other regions from their market stalls, from their shops, from the rubber plantations and other forms of human endeavour. One may say, it is the stupidity of the other people.

Is it any wonder then that some other regions in the federation entertain fear of possible Igbo domination?

IT IS TO BE HOPED THAT THEY DO NOT BECOME LIKE THE JEWS , objects of castigation and contempt for their industry and adventurous spirit.[/b]

from this thread.
http://messageboard.biafranigeriaworld.com/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/001709/p/1.html

Personal and petty hatred will lead you no where.

Like Sarduana of Sokoto, Akenzua was not the only political figure to discribe his personal hatred for Igbos.
It's well known and blinding effect on official goverment policies are well documented. The people who massacred a million innocent Igbo women and children in 1960s have gone to extraordinary lenght to justify their actions and somehow clear their conscience, to no avail!
Some would link these Igbo victims to the actions of Nzeogwu and his fellow coupist, others, like Akenzua would describe their personal gut feeling for anything and anybody Igbo, but at the end of the day, nothing they say could be further from the truth.
Just like the Rwandan Hutu and Tutsi tribal war, the fear and hatred for Igbos in Nigeria is often a cover for simple jealousy.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ezeagu(m): 12:50am On Feb 05, 2012
Kilode?!:

I actually think Chimamanda Adichie looks Yoruba  tongue

Even an Asian would disagree.

Obiagu1:

Really, from Onitsha to Agbo

That's just influence.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by PapaBrowne(m): 12:51am On Feb 05, 2012
PROUD TO BE AN EDO MAN!!

SEE AS EVERYBODY DEY CLAIM CLOSENESS!!

Truth be told, even though we have more cultural similarities to the Yorubas, we have better relationships with the Igbos!!
I'm speaking from  an Edo man's perspective!! Edo would do better and would definitely prefer to be in a country with the Igbos and its other South South Counterparts than be a minority in Yoruba Land!!

The only reason A ACN has Edo state is because Oshiomole who was a member of Labour party needed a strong platform to stand against the PDP.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 12:52am On Feb 05, 2012
ACM10:

Why should they be yoruboid instead of yorubas?

Ol boy, if it dey like panadol, then it can never be panadol

OK know the defination of yoruboid before you makes comments

Yoruboid is a group of languages composed of Igala, a language spoken in central Nigeria, and the Edekiri group, the members of which are spoken in a band across Togo, Benin and southwestern Nigeria. The name Yoruboid derives from its most widely spoken member, Yoruba, which has more than 20 million speakers. Another well-known Yoruboid language is Itsekiri (Nigeria, 600,00-800,000 speakers). The Yoruboid group is a branch of Defoid, which itself is a branch of the Benue–Congo subfamily of the Niger–Congo language family.

Igala is a key Yoruboid language, spoken by 1.8 million people in the Niger-Benue confluence of central Nigeria, it is excised from the main body of Yoruboid languages to the west by Ebirra and the Edo languages. Igala is closely related to both Yoruba and Itsekiri languages.

All Yoruboid languages are tonal, with most of them having three level tones. Grammatically, they are isolating with a subject–object–verb basic word order.
The Itsekiri's are a riverine Yoruboid people who live in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. They maintain a distinct identity separate from other Yoruboid people. Their neighbours are the Urhobos, The Ijaws, and the Mahin Ilaje, a Yoruba clan.

further more there are 3 distinct yoruboid groups

1.Defoid language family
----------Akokoid language family (Arigidi, yoruba etc)
-----------Ayere-Ahan language family (ayere  etc)

2. Edekiri language family

--------Ede Cabe
-------Ede Ica
-------Ede Idaca
--------Ifè
------Ede Ije
-----Isekiri aka itsekiri
---------Lucumi
--------Mokole
-------Ede Nago even to ghana
----------Kura Ede Nago
--------Ulukwumi aka olukumi
--------Manigri-Kambolé Ede Nago
-------------central dialect Yoruba

3. Igala family
--------igala

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=sl_dDVctycgC&pg=PA422&lpg=PA422&dq=Ayere-Ahan+yoruba&source=bl&ots=4X2Hb9-ed_&sig=UQT1-yAtYIdMM8os3pqTi8p6wUI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=isQtT7uPA8Wh8gP0qNSWDw&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Ayere-Ahan%20yoruba&f=false

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Obiagu1(m): 12:52am On Feb 05, 2012
ezeagu:

That's just influence.

Go and tell an Asaba man that his culture was influenced  sad
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ektbear: 12:53am On Feb 05, 2012
Err, "YORUBOID" is not a neologism.

Google is your friend.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ezeagu(m): 12:54am On Feb 05, 2012
Obiagu1:

Go and tell an Asaba man that his culture was influence  sad

Isn't that how cultures are developed?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Obiagu1(m): 12:55am On Feb 05, 2012
ezeagu:

Isn't that how cultures are developed?
Topic: Is Yoruba closer to Edo culturally than Igbo is?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ektbear: 12:55am On Feb 05, 2012
PapaBrowne:

PROUD TO BE AN EDO MAN!!

Truth be told, even though we have more cultural similarities to the Yorubas, we have better relationships with the Igbos!!

PapaBrowne, the lying PDP fanboy.

Anyway, thank you for your contribution in green text.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ezeagu(m): 12:58am On Feb 05, 2012
Obiagu1:

Topic: Is Yoruba closer to Edo culturally than Igbo is?

Yes.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Obiagu1(m): 12:58am On Feb 05, 2012
PapaBrowne:

PROUD TO BE AN EDO MAN!!

I'm speaking from  an Edo man's perspective!! Edo would do better and would definitely prefer to be in a country with the Igbos and its other South South Counterparts than be a minority in Yoruba Land!!

The only reason A ACN has Edo state is because Oshiomole who was a member of Labour party needed a strong platform to stand against the PDP.

That is it.

By the way, is Edo closer to Yoruba culturally than they are to say Agbor or Asaba?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ektbear: 12:59am On Feb 05, 2012
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by PhysicsQED(m): 12:59am On Feb 05, 2012
naijaking1:

Personal and petty hatred will lead you no where.

Like Sarduana of Sokoto, Akenzua was not the only political figure to discribe his personal hatred for Igbos.
It's well known and blinding effect on official goverment policies are well documented. The people who massacred a million innocent Igbo women and children in 1960s have gone to extraordinary lenght to justify their actions and somehow clear their conscience, to no avail!
Some would link these Igbo victims to the actions of Nzeogwu and his fellow coupist, others, like Akenzua would describe their personal gut feeling for anything and anybody Igbo, but at the end of the day, nothing they say could be further from the truth.
Just like the Rwandan Hutu and Tutsi tribal war, the fear and hatred for Igbos in Nigeria is often a cover for simple jealousy.

Hutu and Tutsi? I don't think there's any comparison there.

If you don't already know, the Tutsi controlled country of Burundi had the Hutus massacred in large numbers before the conflict in Rwanda that you're referring to.

Hutu and Tutsi speak the same language but the Tutsi are an outsider group from somewhere else in East Africa that imposed themselves on the Hutu (and maybe adopted their language) in a manner little different than how the Lombards (from Sweden or somewhere else in Scandinavia) imposed themselves on the other Italians at one point, but didn't have any trace of their original Scandinavian language and heritage. Similarly for the Normans in France. A northern group that imposes themselves on another group as superiors and overlords hundreds of years earlier and then faces a violent rebellion in the 20th century isn't exactly the kind of group you want to compare your own group to if you see your group as helpless victims of other people's hate.

And as for Oba Akenzua II, his political associations and NCNC alliance make me skeptical of the claim that he was really Igbo-phobic.

As for the Sardauna of Sokoto, I don't think he had personal hatred for Igbos. His "Northerners first in Northern Nigeria" policy seems to have been entirely justified, in hindsight. This policy and outlook would have led naturally to conflict with and opposition to some Igbos moving to the North to take certain positions.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ezeagu(m): 1:00am On Feb 05, 2012
Obiagu1:

That is it.

By the way, culturally, is Edo closer to Yoruba culturally than they are to say Agbo or Asaba?

There are parts of Yoruba land just like Agbor, in fact, they have lager areas of land under Bini influence, Bini influence in Igboland stops at somewhere Obosi. That's around 1/4 of Igboland.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by naijaking1: 1:02am On Feb 05, 2012
There're certainly many similar words used by Igbos, Edos, and even Yorubas. I heard about prince Eweka of Bini, any relationship with the Iwekas of Onitsha?
The fact that Igbos and Yorubas share the same meaning for God or divinity in Olisa, Orisha, Olisha, or Olise indicates some historical connectivity.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 1:03am On Feb 05, 2012
naijaking1:

There're certainly many similar words used by Igbos, Edos, and even Yorubas. I heard about prince Eweka of Bini, any relationship with the Iwekas of Onitsha?
The fact that Igbos and Yorubas share the same meaning for God or divinity in Olisa, Orisha, Olisha, or Olise indicates some historical connectivity.

If so then why do Igbos hate yorubas. I am still trying to understand this phenomenon
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Obiagu1(m): 1:04am On Feb 05, 2012
Glad the myth has finally been unravelled.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by GAR3TH(m): 1:05am On Feb 05, 2012
You guys do realize that when people refer to edos they are mainly talking about edo people (speaking groups), such as the Bini, Esan, Afemai, Isoko, Urhobo and many other edo groups. In other words what may be true for one edo group may not necessarily be true for other edo groups.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Obiagu1(m): 1:07am On Feb 05, 2012
GAR3TH:

You guys do realize that when people refer to edos they are mainly talking about edo people (speaking groups), such as the Bini, Esan, Afemai, Isoko, Urhobo and many other edo groups. In other words what may be true for one edo group may not necessarily be true for other edo groups.

These are the groups I was referring to.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 1:07am On Feb 05, 2012
Obiagu1:

Glad the myth has finally being unravelled.

LOL what myth. Has it not being clear from day one that there have been no claim and change in history. Dude you are just stressing yourself. really
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by naijaking1: 1:09am On Feb 05, 2012
PapaBrowne:

PROUD TO BE AN EDO MAN!!

Old boy, how you dey!
One day this question will be scientifically answered by a simple genetical analysis.
Pick up 10 Igbos, 10 Edo, 10 Yorubas, analyze their DNA, and you'll see who has the closest ancestral maternal mitochondria ribosomes grin

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by 76Naira(m): 1:14am On Feb 05, 2012
I love this jist.

I see all the by-force love and quick denials for south, but haven't seen any linking relations to the north.
Even in these times Northern Kwara will claim Eko or Ilaje.

I no blame my nairalander siblings. God bless all of una, na drop out Lugard I blame.
See the guy CV,

India (was born there, left, came back, joined the army & left). No experiments,
   Afghan War (1879–1880)
   Sudan campaign (1884–1885)
   Third Burmese War (1886–1887)
   Uganda (1890 - 1892)
   Nigeria (1897 - 1922)

All the countries the guy tried himself in still have issues & he spent his longest in Nigeria.
The amalgamation has been a bad geography practical carried out by Lugard.

We have been managing before Boko Haram, who are now reminding us how it all started.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Lugard
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ektbear: 1:18am On Feb 05, 2012
Lugard was a monster.

Most of those countries are absolute messes.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 1:18am On Feb 05, 2012
@Onila I usually don't engage in this pettiness but since you have been calling Igbo girls the best Pleeeesssseeee show us an Igbo girl dead or alive that beat this woman

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaOyuyQXbESEhrXKfJSIVUbj3B1nHxlATXiBorQBx0RewxaiwK1w[/img]
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ezeagu(m): 1:19am On Feb 05, 2012
alj harem:

@Onila I usually don't engage in this pettiness but since you have been calling Igbo girls the best Pleeeesssseeee show us an Igbo girl dead or alive that beat this woman

Ws I right that the boy you posted was Yoruba?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 1:23am On Feb 05, 2012
ezeagu:

Ws I right that the boy you posted was Yoruba?

His name is rotimi akinosho claims yoruba but his mother is igbo. I just used that for Onlytruth so I could catch him grin grin
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by 76Naira(m): 1:26am On Feb 05, 2012
alj harem:

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaOyuyQXbESEhrXKfJSIVUbj3B1nHxlATXiBorQBx0RewxaiwK1w[/img]

@ alj harem,  the taste of the pudding is in the eating. How you take sure the fine picture mean say the babe "bam"?
Abeg leave the exterior Dulux, sometimes na the plasma screen, room & kitchen dey make "house" sweet.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 1:28am On Feb 05, 2012
76Naira:

@ alj haram, The taste of the pudding is in the eating, How you take sure the fine picture mean say the babe "bam"?
Abeg leave the exterior Dulux, sometimes na the plasma screen, room & kitchen dey make "house" sweet.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin got me seriously cracking lol grin grin grin

I just wan debunk that girl called Onila

grin grin grin grin grin[i] I know say I like trouble[/i]
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 1:31am On Feb 05, 2012
Onila here is another one show us any one wey fine pass this one too

Helen Folasade Adu OBE

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfn3yIsReOMYpdwgCRgKl93UuWC7t21E_dRne7wT0b9oZh9AWz[/img]
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Abagworo(m): 1:36am On Feb 05, 2012
One thing I have 1st hand knowledge of is that many parts of Ondo and Ekiti States were Edo peoples and actually know that. If anyone wants to compare Bini with Yoruba, I think those areas shouldn't count.

Igbo and Edo have obvious lingual similarity far more than Yoruba. I believe this could be a very recent thing caused by Edo influence. You can get a lot of Igbo communities using Idumu and Ogbe as quaters and area which they believe is Igbo but it originates in Edo. Even "Otu" which refers to group is shared. I think Benin and Yoruba have an older history than Igbo but the Benin-Igbo being more recent is also more noticeable especially in language and settlement pattern.

[b]The Igbo philosophy seems to be “money maketh a man” and the Igbo man is prepared to
sink to any level or scale the highest mountain to get money…No job is too menial for the
Igbo man
, I think there are two main reasons why “the Igbo are everywhere.”
First, as I have stated, the Igbos will go to any length in search of money and since they are
more willing than any other tribe to do any type of work, no matter how menial, they are
ready and cheap source of labour everywhere.
Another reason for their migration… is terribly overpopulated by its 12 million or so
inhabitants, so that the Igbo is constantly on the move in serch of a place to stand in.
While I admire the Igbos for their energy and industry, their insatiable desire for money
makes me sick.
…I have stated elsewhere in this narrative that the Igbo does not believe that any kindness
can be gratuitous and would doubt your sincerity if you were prepared to do any favour for
him without demanding or accepting a consideration.
As a matter of fact the Igbo man makes the offer before he begins to ask for the help he
seeks. This remarks should, however, not be taken to mean that there are no honest people
among them.
There certainly are, but by and large, the average Igbo man seeks gain from whatever he
does.
…One common charge against the Igbo is that if you give them an inch they will demand
(and quite often take) a mile.
An Igbo man in search of residential accommodation is prepared to pay rent for even your
kitchen store. Within a week of his moving in, about half a dozen “brothers” come to “visit”
him; within a fortnight more of them arrive. He then pleads with you to allow them
temporary accommodation in the house but soon they have become permanent and taken
every available space in your house.
There would be nothing wrong with this if they remained as tenant. But the sad part of it is
that before the owner knows what is happening these tenants are dangling money before
his eyes for the purchase of the house itself or the adjoining land.
The money comes to hand quite easily either through concerted efforts or some wealthy
“brothers” or the tribal union, and overnight the owner of the house becomes a tenant on
his own land.
In like manner, they have surreptitiously ousted “nationals” of the other regions from their
market stalls, from their shops, from the rubber plantations and other forms of human
endeavour. One may say, it is the stupidity of the other people.
Is it any wonder then that some other regions in the federation entertain fear of possible
Igbo domination?
IT IS TO BE HOPED THAT THEY DO NOT BECOME LIKE THE JEWS , objects of castigation and
contempt for their industry and adventurous spirit.
from this thread.
http://messageboard.biafranigeriaworld.com/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/001709/p/1.html
[/b]

There is an element of truth in what the Oba wrote but his mistake is that he replaced "success" with "money". That of buying land is very annoying. Igbos should realize that other people also make money but don't buy up people's land but rather go home and invest.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (36) (Reply)

Human Face In Awube Stream, Benue State (Photos) / Meet Pastor Ivie Emiko - The Wife Of New Olu Of Warri - Pictures / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.