Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,426 members, 7,815,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (198) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (810952 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Theonlywan: 7:19am On Oct 17, 2021
Happy Sunday guys
Please is there a way to update or change your passenger locator form address.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 1:36am On Oct 21, 2021
amajato:
Good evening all,

Please what do you advice. Currently in the UK but my family is in nigeria ( my wife and 2 kids)

I intend to bring them over soonest but I. Concern as my wife is just an OND holder in business administration., But currently a tailor.

What work can she do to support if they come. Since I can't settle the bills alone.

Please I need advice.. @justwise and all

Since you are already in the country you will know most flexible job etc retail, healthcare support etc require no degree and just some training to get going.

Depending on where you're based she can continue her tailoring if in a big city.

You will have to plan around childcare
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LagosismyHome(f): 8:00am On Oct 21, 2021
amajato:
Good evening all,

Please what do you advice. Currently in the UK but my family is in nigeria ( my wife and 2 kids)

I intend to bring them over soonest but I. Concern as my wife is just an OND holder in business administration., But currently a tailor.

What work can she do to support if they come. Since I can't settle the bills alone.

Not everyone likes or can do care work... but at 40hours of that, it would be sufficient to use hold body and soul till you graduate and can work more

However you need to consider the kids age and childcare . If under 10 they cannot be left alone at home and must be supervised at all times by an adult
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LagosismyHome(f): 2:22pm On Oct 21, 2021
amajato:

Thanks. they are 5 and 3 years. Does it mean we have to employ someone for childcare? Or how can she do that and at the same time work enough for all us to survive since I'm restricted to 20 hrs a week

Either leave them in school till 6 and pay for afterschool (3.15 to 6), use a childminder, use a nanny or any other means. The 3 years old can get 30hours but won't start primary until after 4 (for England)

20hours will be too small to survive, depending on how much you are bringing in from naija... but you can work around both schedule. It might mean some nights while the other parent is at home with the child as an example ...

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 3:13pm On Oct 21, 2021
amajato:
. Thanks a lot. But what do you mean by the bolded line?

https://www.gov.uk/30-hours-free-childcare

Not sure if you qualify, but check with your local providers

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LagosismyHome(f): 7:37pm On Oct 21, 2021
amajato:
. Thanks a lot. But what do you mean by the bolded line?

Too lazy to type but you know in due time or check google

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by rollykotex: 3:13pm On Oct 22, 2021
Hello everyone, I’m almost stranded in Swansea... been trying to get a one bedroom or two in Swansea to no avail. Please I’ll really appreciate any help on getting a house before I take my money rent hotel finish. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Okusi(m): 8:53pm On Oct 22, 2021
Does banking mobile app receipt suffice as evidence for TB test payment?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jackofalltradez(m): 6:45am On Oct 26, 2021
Here to stay updated
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by barons68(m): 5:12pm On Oct 26, 2021
Hi guys, please anyone going for January intake 2022 to University of West England let's connect. Also those in the school already can you help with accommodation ?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 10:59am On Oct 27, 2021
Prospective International Students

Please try as much as possible to arrive well before the resumption date- A month or some few weeks before lectures start

Give yourself time to settle in, arrange accommodation and job if possible. the Earlier the better

You will be competing with a lot of other international students for houses/flats and jobs and as usual the early birds gets all the juicy spots.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Czsamanie: 1:39pm On Oct 27, 2021
Hi guys. Trust your day is going well.

I'm about to start searching for admission in the UK. I gathered that admission is usually slated for September and January. Isn't it too late for a January admission by now? Can I still make January 2022 or just be looking at next September 2022. If September, can I still start the whole admission thingy now?

Also, I have a degree in Statistics over here in Naija, so I'd likely be going for a Masters program in that line. For people in UK, how's my chances of getting a job with Statistics. (Although I think it should be on the very ok level).

Furthermore, how possible is it to be able to pay for my tuition balance with the "20hrs a week work", cos the pocket no too reach like that, just hoping on the working to take care of my bills and every every.

I'd appreciate any response. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abike12(f): 3:51pm On Oct 27, 2021
amajato:

Thanks... Very new there.. sheffield to be precise

does she know how to braid hair or can she learn? it's a good way to make money from home with no need for childcare

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abike12(f): 3:54pm On Oct 27, 2021
Czsamanie:
Hi guys. Trust your day is going well.

I'm about to start searching for admission in the UK. I gathered that admission is usually slated for September and January. Isn't it too late for a January admission by now? Can I still make January 2022 or just be looking at next September 2022. If September, can I still start the whole admission thingy now?

Also, I have a degree in Statistics over here in Naija, so I'd likely be going for a Masters program in that line. For people in UK, how's my chances of getting a job with Statistics. (Although I think it should be on the very ok level).

Furthermore, how possible is it to be able to pay for my tuition balance with the "20hrs a week work", cos the pocket no too reach like that, just hoping on the working to take care of my bills and every every.

I'd appreciate any response. Thanks.

why don't you get a PhD or do something research related so you can get funded? there are a lot of tech opportunities in data science so you can look into those. ideally it can be done remotely so you can look for opportunities in any country
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by aragbaboy: 5:58am On Oct 28, 2021
Hello, I am currently in Hull trying to get a 2 bedroom accommodation for my family. Getting accommodation for family is quite a challenge. Anyone that can help in any way should please get in touch.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abike12(f): 7:51pm On Oct 28, 2021
amajato:
she don't but if it's option she will learn before they come

yea, I strongly advise that

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Oxristo(m): 3:26pm On Oct 29, 2021
Good day, Great minds.

I am considering going for an MSc International Accounting and Finance in the UK.
My first degree was in Accounting (2.1) and I'm already ICAN-certified with a few years of experience.

The challenge now is that the funding isn't available (both from friends and relations) and this has left me with the only option of sourcing loan from one of the international study loan finance companies. The finance company would usually expect repayment to start 6 months after graduation. This is to give room for one to have possibly secured a job with the degree.

1. Is this venture really worthwhile?
2. How easy is it to transit from studies to job opportunities in the Scotland, UK with the current 2 years of PSW visa regime?

Please your contributions would help shape my decision and as such are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Krystalzkris(f): 11:04pm On Oct 29, 2021
Oxristo:
Good day, Great minds.

I am considering going for an MSc International Accounting and Finance in the UK.
My first degree was in Accounting (2.1) and I'm already ICAN-certified with a few years of experience.

The challenge now is that the funding isn't available (both from friends and relations) and this has left me with the only option of sourcing loan from one of the international study loan finance companies. The finance company would usually expect repayment to start 6 months after graduation. This is to give room for one to have possibly secured a job with the degree.

1. Is this venture really worthwhile?
2. How easy is it to transit from studies to job opportunities in the Scotland, UK with the current 2 years of PSW visa regime?

Please your contributions would help shape my decision and as such are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.
There are international study loan companies I've been looking for this information. Please can you share some? I'm also planning to go for my masters and while I work hard to raise the funds I'm also looking for loan companies to make it easier...

Modified.

From what I heard, there are jobs. Try and do a two year course so that by the time you're done you would understand the workings of the area.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Engr2000: 5:36am On Oct 30, 2021
Someone have suggested a care job which is not bad ,your wife can do the evening or night shift so she can be at home with the kids during the day.
amajato:
Good evening all,

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Oxristo(m): 9:03am On Oct 30, 2021
@KrystalzKris

Thanks for your response.
My Msc is a 12-month programme in Glasgow.
How about that?

You can check out these two:

https://www.futurefinance.com/blog/international-students-yes-you-can-apply-for-a-future-finance-student-loan/

https://prodigyfinance.com/

They're more relevant, if you're looking the direction of the UK.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Krystalzkris(f): 8:00pm On Oct 31, 2021
Oxristo:
@KrystalzKris

Thanks for your response.
My Msc is a 12-month programme in Glasgow.
How about that?

You can check out these two:

https://www.futurefinance.com/blog/international-students-yes-you-can-apply-for-a-future-finance-student-loan/

https://prodigyfinance.com/

They're more relevant, if you're looking the direction of the UK.
I'm also looking at the UK too.. found schools already but I'll start application from next year..

(1) (2) (3) ... (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.