Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,814 members, 7,851,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:45 AM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (10448) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8842111 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10445) (10446) (10447) (10448) (10449) (10450) (10451) ... (14209) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 12, 2021
GloryIsaac:

No one is talking down on Nigeria, the results are there to see.

God-willing, Nigeria does well next year in the World Cup, it can set a precedence for the nation.

But if it remains the usual R16 knockout, cycle continues.
Lol stop this joke.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 12, 2021
benji93:
As one other person suggested, If those folks can do it, why not us. Please don't come with the it's just not worth it argument. You must think some of these South American countries don't have their national team problems. Most of them still go home regardless. You are making millions for crying out loud. It would be nice if some of us in the diaspora do something tangible to help and not just rant on social media, as most do. Most importantly encourage your kids. Instil patriotism(with some those care grin) in them. For a significant number of diasporans, na village people dey live for Nigeria. In the abroad cheesy after living for a few years the spirit of condescension descends on them. The thing dey pain and vex me at the same time.

Disclaimer: I am not saying it's a wrong decision. For me it's neither right nor wrong. I am not putting money in their pockets.

Forget these patriotism talk.

If Nigeria wants talents like Saka to represent them, they should do better in major competitions like the World Cup.

The South Americans have Diego Maradona to look up to, they have De Lima Ronaldo etc. these things subconsciously spur them to represent their nations. They want to repeat the success of these icons with their home countries.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jul 12, 2021
CapitalCee:

So chukwueze and Osihmen dem wey come back during holiday to come play street football with area guys nko? Guy dont despise your roots no matter what, thatsy humble advise for you

You guys are diverting from what propped this discussion.

The guys being mentioned all grew up in Nigeria. Saka grew up in England. Different situations.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 9:32pm On Jul 12, 2021
raumdeuter:

The only reason CHO and Zaha went back to Africa was because they didnt stand a chance with their European country. If they had been given a chance earlier, they would never consider it. That is the same way some of those guys use our head in Africa

When its time for world cup, Joel Matip and Kevin prince Boateng knowing they wont make German team quickly adopted their African country they didnt know about, After world cup and its time for AFCON qualifiers to Burundi, Malawi etc they quickly announced their international retirements.

I will rather respect those Saka Tammy etc that were honest and stayed with their country of birth than one coming here to use the head of Africans thereby one guy who suffered qualifiers riguors will get dropped for new guy wey just discover his heritage

Na so Efan Ekoku, Mike Emenalo dem take chance Nduka Ugbade for US 94 squad. Ugbade who would have been the first Nigerian to play for every level of FIFA tournament U17 captain, U21, U23 and senior team lost his place to guys who only remembered us when we qualified for world cup

You made a very good points, but i didnt say Saka should sit his Ass in England while others qualify for world cup only to come and play. The qualifiers are now people like him can make themselves available like Iwobi and Victor Moses did.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by benji93: 9:32pm On Jul 12, 2021
Sorry, but can they not be someone other players look up to?
GloryIsaac:

Forget these patriotism talk.

If Nigeria wants talents like Saka to represent them, they should do better in major competitions like the World Cup.

The South Americans have Diego Maradona to look up to, they have De Lima Ronaldo etc. these things subconsciously spur them to represent their nations. They want to repeat the success of these icons with their home countries.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 9:35pm On Jul 12, 2021
CapitalCee:

Rio and Sancho's ancestors might have moved to UK long time ago, so must have been diluted. I heard Saka's father was born in Nigeria. Like i said i will persuade my soon to play for Nigeria. I will teach him my local Dialect and engrain him into our culture.

Samuel Etoo came to Spain as a 16 year old, his son was born and bread in spain. He son is representing cameroon. Why didn't his son chose spain.

Abedi Pele gave birth to all his sons in France. All of them are playing for Ghana, theirs was never out of neccesity they bled Ghana.

Wasnt Halaand born in the UK? Why is he not plYing for England?
Our star boy Mejbri was clearly born and bred in Europe he chose Tunisia immediately before his career even started.

It all depends on the orientation by the parents and the mentality.

Maybe Etoos son was not good enough to represent Spain. You think if Kante Pogba Zidane were representing Guinea Algeria and Congo anyone would be mentioning them?

Remember George Weah your first example of patriotism? and current president of Liberia, I will think this icon of patriotism son will be playing for Liberia, yet he is representing the USA.

Do you think any of the Ayews is talented enough to make the French team?. Was Mejbri talented enough to have broken into a top team in Europe?

Haaland was born in UK and according to wiki was taken to Norway at age 3. I am sure Haaland cannot remember anything about growng up before age 3 in England, All his memories are from Norway and the country he feels very Norwegian just like Osaze born in Uzbekistan but by age 2, he was moved back to Naija so most of his growing up was in Nigeria

So imagine for Naija dressing room boys begin blow Yoruba Igbo Hausa and pidgin and you want Saka to be blowing cockney accent there? How will he even connect with the fans

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jul 12, 2021
elrony:

Idiots full everywhere, don't underestimate the depravity of the human mind, even locally here.

Remember the Nigerian player whose life was threatened because he got a red card at the 2010 World Cup grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by izzou(m): 9:40pm On Jul 12, 2021
For me, I'll pick a country that would guarantee me enough playtime.

Everybody may not want to identify with their roots though, but at least, make I dey see shirt.

Saka is even better. What of Abraham?

I really pity that guy. Unless the heavens intervene, that guy won't play up 500 minutes in an English shirt.

A country that guarantees me enough playtime is who I'll stick to.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 9:41pm On Jul 12, 2021
GloryIsaac:

Remember the Nigerian player whose life was threatened because he got a red card at the 2010 World Cup grin

Sani Kaita.

Lets not act like some fans didnt insult the Northerners because of performance of Sani Kaita and Garba Lawal who represented the country of their father

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 9:44pm On Jul 12, 2021
izzou:
For me, I'll pick a country that would guarantee me enough playtime.

Everybody may not want to identify with their roots though, but at least, make I dey see shirt.

Saka is even better. What of Abraham?

I really pity that guy. Unless the heavens intervene, that guy won't play up 500 minutes in an English shirt.

A country that guarantees me enough playtime is who I'll stick to.

That works if your talent is not sure. So you might be thinking of starting shirt

If your talent is one that no team can ignore, I will pick the one that gives me the most out of my career

Definitely, Pogba Kante and Zidane would have been guaranteed starting shirt at their African country but their talent is sure

Jerome Boateng stuck with Germany because his talent was sure for him while Matip ran away from the same Germany

Also sure shirt for Guinea Bissau or Malawi, who that one help?

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 12, 2021
raumdeuter:

The only reason CHO and Zaha went back to Africa was because they didnt stand a chance with their European country. If they had been given a chance earlier, they would never consider it. That is the same way some of those guys use our head in Africa

When its time for world cup, Joel Matip and Kevin prince Boateng knowing they wont make German team quickly adopted their African country they didnt know about, After world cup and its time for AFCON qualifiers to Burundi, Malawi etc they quickly announced their international retirements.

I will rather respect those Saka Tammy etc that were honest and stayed with their country of birth than one coming here to use the head of Africans thereby one guy who suffered qualifiers riguors will get dropped for new guy wey just discover his heritage

Na so Efan Ekoku, Mike Emenalo dem take chance Nduka Ugbade for US 94 squad. Ugbade who would have been the first Nigerian to play for every level of FIFA tournament U17 captain, U21, U23 and senior team lost his place to guys who only remembered us when we qualified for world cup

On point.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by BikeMan: 9:45pm On Jul 12, 2021
Can’t wait for the #OleOut rants to resume. Illimitable championing his noble cause as usual and KingAlabi been a bitch about it.

LET’S GOOOOOOOO!

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by izzou(m): 9:47pm On Jul 12, 2021
raumdeuter:

That works if your talent is not sure. So you might be thinking of starting shirt

If your talent is one that no team can ignore, I will pick the one that gives me the most out of my career

Definitely, Pogba Kante and Zidane would have been guaranteed starting shirt at their African country but their talent is sure

Jerome Boateng stuck with Germany because his talent was sure for him while Matip ran away from the same Germany

Also sure shirt for Guinea Bissau or Malawi, who that one help?

Everybody's talent cannot be sure.

For every Mbappe, there are hundreds of African player in Ligue 1 that may never be called by France.

It's up to them to stick to where they would be adored.

A Lion in the jungle is better than a dog in the city

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elrony(m): 9:49pm On Jul 12, 2021
GloryIsaac:

Kaita grin grin , like I said earlier we have idiots everywhere

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 9:49pm On Jul 12, 2021
raumdeuter:

Maybe Etoos son was not good enough to represent Spain. You think if Kante Pogba Zidane were representing Guinea Algeria and Congo anyone would be mentioning them?

Remember George Weah your first example of patriotism? and current president of Liberia, I will think this icon of patriotism son will be playing for Liberia, yet he is representing the USA.

Do you think any of the Ayews is talented enough to make the French team?. Was Mejbri talented enough to have broken into a top team in Europe?

Haaland was born in UK and according to wiki was taken to Norway at age 3. I am sure Haaland cannot remember anything about growng up before age 3 in England, All his memories are from Norway and the country he feels very Norwegian just like Osaze born in Uzbekistan but by age 2, he was moved back to Naija so most of his growing up was in Nigeria

So imagine for Naija dressing room boys begin blow Yoruba Igbo Hausa and pidgin and you want Saka to be blowing cockney accent there? How will he even connect with the fans

Samuel Etoos son and Mejbri are still very young, they only made their choices early not becuase they are not good enough. At what age did Trippier made his England debut? Abedi's children might not be superstars now but it was their parents who insisted they represent Ghana, they started from junior age grade when it was not even clear how their careers will pan out. You can't predict how Etoos son career will be likewise Mejbri, so for them making thier choices early rather then based on neccesity is clear patriotism.

How will Zidane and co not be mentioned? Wasnt Etoo, Drogba and Sallah mentioned despite representing lower contries? George weah did not represent France before he won Ballon dor. Stars can emerge anywhere. Dwight Yorke came from Trinidad and Tobago yet he had an excellent career and was recognised.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 12, 2021
handelex:
Lol stop this joke.

The recent loss to Cameroon was a fluke.

I actually have a lot of belief in this new Nigerian team, and expect them to perform better than their predecessors.

We have Osimhen, Chukwueze, Ndidi, Iheanacho, Moses Simon, Ola Aina, Etebo, Aribo etc.

There’s quality there.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 12, 2021
benji93:
Sorry, but can they not be someone other players look up to?

Who?

What are the achievements of the people they should look up to?

Can you compare that to Maradona or the Brazilian team of 2002?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jul 12, 2021
raumdeuter:

Imagine grin grin

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 9:58pm On Jul 12, 2021
izzou:
Everybody's talent cannot be sure.
For every Mbappe, there are hundreds of African player in Ligue 1 that may never be called by France.
It's up to them to stick to where they would be adored.
A Lion in the jungle is better than a dog in the city

What advantage does playing for Seychelles have for you? Some of them will rather not play for any NT than play for Seychelles or Guinea Bissau
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 12, 2021
raumdeuter:

Sani Kaita.

Lets not act like some fans didnt insult the Northerners because of performance of Sani Kaita and Garba Lawal who represented the country of their father

Heard they burnt his house in Kano because of that red card. Really crazy stuff.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Juicewrld27: 10:02pm On Jul 12, 2021
GloryIsaac:

Heard they burnt his house in Kano because of that red card. Really crazy stuff.
ighalo had death treats after the 2018 world cup for missing a potential second goal against Argentina. No biggie
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chic2pimp(m): 10:08pm On Jul 12, 2021
raumdeuter:

What advantage does playing for Seychelles have for you? Some of them will rather not play for any NT than play for Seychelles or Guinea Bissau

None whatsoever absolutely zilch. I have spent more time in Naij than the Likes of Saka has and if given the chance, no way do I choose Nigeria.

Look at the Nigerian Basketball Team as an example, the ones with Zero chance of making the US Team have suddenly discovered their Nigerian Heritage and are representing Nigeria. The likes of Bam Adebayo with real talent meanwhile have chosen the US. Imagine Nigeria trying to Pinch Giannis Adetokunbo from Greece let's see if the Greek government won't start war with Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by izzou(m): 10:10pm On Jul 12, 2021
raumdeuter:

I understand

The context though was Nigerian players in the English team

Are you telling me that won't be guaranteed enough playtime if he chose the Eagles?

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jul 12, 2021
Juicewrld27:
ighalo had death treats after the 2018 world cup for missing a potential second goal against Argentina. No biggie

Exactly. Despite playing for his nation in Africa, and even from the streets, not some foreign nation.

The English response to yesterday’s loss isn’t unique. It’s how most footballing nations will respond. The only issue is it brings out the dark side of the fans.

Ighalo didn’t even miss a penalty, Kaita didn’t miss a penalty.. but these guys got death threats from fans.

These things even happened in R16 as well, imagine a final.

How can you burn a player’s house for getting red card? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 10:13pm On Jul 12, 2021
elrony:

Where is Ole Gunnar SouredthGate? The real lion, just toothless lipsrsealed

grin

..... with Eric Ramsay.

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chic2pimp(m): 10:14pm On Jul 12, 2021
GloryIsaac:

Who?

What are the achievements of the people they should look up to?

Can you compare that to Maradona or the Brazilian team of 2002?

Are you actually going too far naming the Likes of Maradona and Pele. First of all, Let's make a list of players that have represented Brazil,Argentina,Colombia,Uruguay,Paraguay, Chile, Peru et al and compare them to their African counterparts. Then we go from there.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Jodera: 10:28pm On Jul 12, 2021
handelex:
grin grin grin
Oleouters can't wait, they've been stylishly reminding us since.
cheesy grin grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jul 12, 2021
chic2pimp:

Are you actually going too far naming the Likes of Maradona and Pele. First of all, Let's make a list of players that have represented Brazil,Argentina,Colombia,Uruguay,Paraguay, Chile, Peru et al and compare them to their African counterparts. Then we go from there.

Exactly. The South Americans have incentives to return and represent their nations, the Africans don’t. It’s just vibes, “let’s see what we can do”.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by KingTom(m): 11:14pm On Jul 12, 2021
We finished trophyless and lost the Yuropa League final to a 7th Placed Spanish Team...

JUST A REMINDER grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 12:30am On Jul 13, 2021
CapitalCee:

May be your eye is paining you when you cant see where i said i sympathise with him. It good he is seeing that no matter how long a mangroove tree dwells in the river, it can never make him a crocodile

You can’t say you sympathise with him and then say it serves him right.

Remember, the boy no do you anything o.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 12:39am On Jul 13, 2021
CapitalCee:

Patriotism is the reason for international football, thats why Falcoa plays for Colombia that has corruption and human right issues instead of spain. George Weah represented Liberia thats a war torn country during the reign of Charles Taylor. Please lets stop making excuses for people qho have no regards for their fatherland. My son who is born here will play for Nigeria, i will peesuade him.

Wrong points.

Falcao was born in Colombia and was already a Colombian international for several years BEFORE ever playing in Spain

George Weah was born Liberia and was already a Liberian international BEFORE playing in Europe.

Saka was born in England.

You shouldn’t beef someone with so much passion about their personal decision. And for you to be saying it serves him right at this point it shows the level of beef you have for him.

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 12:42am On Jul 13, 2021
CapitalCee:

I think you are angry. Why will you leave Nigeria Permanently? You get relatives for here? Guy East west north south. Home is home.

Naija wey don expire?

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (10445) (10446) (10447) (10448) (10449) (10450) (10451) ... (14209) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: Oasis007(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.