Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,656 members, 7,851,243 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:42 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (10447) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8839507 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10444) (10445) (10446) (10447) (10448) (10449) (10450) ... (14209) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by benji93: 9:02pm On Jul 12, 2021
Playing for the national team doesn't secure anybody anyway. Na CLub dem really dey get their money from.
CapitalCee:

Leave them na. Go to Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, Paraguay, Uruguay and Chile etc and see how those countries are even Mexico. They have more national deffieciencies than us yet they still go back home and whenever they are representing their country they exude patriotism. If George Weah with all his Ballon dor should chose Liberia thats into war with very despicable leaders then why not these Nigerians abroadians? Etoo, Drogba, Okocha and Kanu are african legends and are recognised as such. So why didnt these people chose foreign countries so they can be secured.
Like i mentioned Gascoigne declared bankruptcy, maybe his playing for England made him eternally rich
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Juicewrld27: 9:02pm On Jul 12, 2021
handelex:
Imagine for a second Greenwood in place of Saka that missed the deciding spot kick... The hate for United will quadruple cheesy
#GGMU For life
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jul 12, 2021
CapitalCee:

So chukwueze and Osihmen dem wey come back during holiday to come play street football with area guys nko? Guy dont despise your roots no matter what, thatsy humble advise for you
These guys you mentioned are home grown niggas now, you sef reason am.... Saka don even visit naija before?

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elrony(m): 9:03pm On Jul 12, 2021
benji93:
It's not better to play in anything. Opari, you don miss penalty, and you don hear wetin those people really feel about you even when you get British passport. For his sake, i hope that makes him stronger. It's a terrible thing to wish anybody bad, especially when they make personal decisions like that.

Idiots full everywhere, don't underestimate the depravity of the human mind, even locally here.

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 9:04pm On Jul 12, 2021
handelex:
If naija really dey as you're portraying and making it to be, you for no leave her shores in search of a better life undecided

We are talking about representing your country in a sports event not looking for better life. Maybe Drogba was playing for ASEC Mimosas of Cotedevoire, when he was playing for his country. Cavani that plays for Man United, didnt he represent Uruguay in the last Copa America?
Why didnt Dwight Yorke switch to England instead of Trinidad and Tobago, when he was a superster at Man United?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by KingTom(m): 9:05pm On Jul 12, 2021
Oasis007:
cool

The real 3 Lions.
These boys cost me money yesterday, I no wan swear for them but e pain me die grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 9:06pm On Jul 12, 2021
handelex:
These guys you mentioned are home grown niggas now, you sef reason am.... Saka don even visit naija before?

You dont need to visit naija before identifying with your people. CHO has gone back to Ghana despite been born in UK
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elrony(m): 9:07pm On Jul 12, 2021
KingTom:

These boys cost me money yesterday, I no wan swear for them but e pain me die grin

Go and drag Southgate grin grin grin grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 9:07pm On Jul 12, 2021
benji93:
Playing for the national team doesn't secure anybody anyway. Na CLub dem really dey get their money from.

But they are making as if playing for England is a life ticket to Eldorado
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by KingTom(m): 9:07pm On Jul 12, 2021
CapitalCee:

You dont need to visit naija before identifying with your people. CHO has gone back to Ghana despite been born in UK
Messi sef turn down spain to play for Argentina so I hear
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by KingTom(m): 9:08pm On Jul 12, 2021
elrony:

Go and drag Southgate grin grin grin grin
Southgate dey carry curse for head since na, dem no dey swear for mad person grin just like I've left the Norwegian Zohouri alone grin

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 9:08pm On Jul 12, 2021
KingTom:

Messi sef turn down spain to play for Argentina so I hear

Imagine. England beg Giggs tire he no gree. Spain needed Kanoute he decline and played for Mali.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 9:10pm On Jul 12, 2021
GloryIsaac:

In most cases, those who choose to play for their motherland do so for these reasons;

1. Not good enough for their adopted team.
2. Good enough but tough competition in adopted team. Means might not get a lot of international caps.

These reasons are at the root of it, the ‘patriotism’ talk is just a deflection.

If a player is assured of his place in the national team of his adopted country, and they have a better chance of going far in the tournament, he will represent them.

Also put into consideration that these adopted countries were the ones who groomed the player. Most start at U13s or U16s I believe.

Ofcourse, there are exceptions to this, but they are rare.

P.S. Falcao would have had to compete with Fernando Torres and David Villa for a starting berth with Spain. Doubt the success rate if he tried in 2007.

Its not always true bro, there are many folks who decided for to trace their origin despite that.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 12, 2021
CapitalCee:

Thank you. If superstars like Etoo, Drogba and Mane will play for their poor country why Wont saka play for Nigeria. International football is more of patriotism than welfare package. Most of the South American players plays passionately for their countries no minding that we have to most human right abuses and corruption in those places

The players mentioned are all African-born, and spent considerable time in their native nations before moving. 16+.

South Americans have strong teams capable of contending on the international stage, so it makes sense to represent them. Same can’t be said for African teams.

If Nigeria becomes a force to contend with on the international stage, the World Cup, then same can happen.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elrony(m): 9:11pm On Jul 12, 2021
CapitalCee:

If you look at moves like this, you'd throw that patriotism card outta the window. These ones are borne outta contingencies grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Jodera: 9:11pm On Jul 12, 2021
handelex:
grin grin grin

Ole is about to be given a new contract.
Meaning we fit see many many more seasons and episodes? grin grin cheesy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 12, 2021
CapitalCee:

CHO knew the chances of him making it with the senior team is slim and time dey go. Didn't he fly the England colors across the youth levels? Why didn't he choose to represent Ghana then undecided

5 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elrony(m): 9:12pm On Jul 12, 2021
KingTom:

Southgate dey carry curse for head since na, dem no dey swear for mad person grin just like I've left the Norwegian Zohouri alone grin

E say na curse, hahahaha. WTH grin grin grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 12, 2021
CapitalCee:

Nigeria has won 3 AFCONs come to think of it. Victor Moses has more international trophy than Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes combined

grin grin

What’s AFCON compared to Euros?

The quality isn’t the same. African teams should do better in the World Cup, then a discussion can be held.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jul 12, 2021
Jodera:
Meaning we fit see many many more seasons and episodes? grin grin cheesy
grin grin grin
Oleouters can't wait, they've been stylishly reminding us since.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jul 12, 2021
GloryIsaac:

The players mentioned are all African-born, and spent considerable time in their native nations before moving. 16+.

South Americans have strong teams capable of contending on the international stage, so it makes sense to represent them. Same can’t be said for African teams.

If Nigeria becomes a force to contend with on the international stage, the World Cup, then same can happen.
Thank you, you get it.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 9:15pm On Jul 12, 2021
GloryIsaac:

Yeah Paraguay, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Ecuador usually go far in World cups. Which of these countries have performed considerably better than Nigeria, Ghana and Senegal in world cup recently. What are theeir chances of winning it
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 12, 2021
CapitalCee:

We always want to talk down on Nigeria. Inferiority complex. I wonder when England started to be serial winners when they have nkt won a pin since 1966 on home soil in a controversial manner

No one is talking down on Nigeria, the results are there to see.

God-willing, Nigeria does well next year in the World Cup, it can set a precedence for the nation.

But if it remains the usual R16 knockout, cycle continues.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 9:16pm On Jul 12, 2021
handelex:
CHO knew the chances of him making it with the senior team is slim and time dey go. Didn't he fly the England colors across the youth level? Why didn't he choose to represent Ghana then undecided
Yet he went to his Country of origin nevertheless.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 9:17pm On Jul 12, 2021
CapitalCee:

Patriotism is the reason for international football, thats why Falcoa plays for Colombia that has corruption and human right issues instead of spain. George Weah represented Liberia thats a war torn country during the reign of Charles Taylor. Please lets stop making excuses for people qho have no regards for their fatherland. My son who is born here will play for Nigeria, i will peesuade him.

I disagree.

These Naija boys were probably born in the UK, they probably have never lived in Nigeria beyond the random 2weeks to 2months holidays every 5yrs(if that much), They probably cannot speak any Nigerian local dialect fluently. So what makes it home for them vs
A country they went to daycare, went to primary to secondary, played academy football, have friends, and everything. Basically, they become who they are today because of the investment UK made into their lives

It's understandable for someone like you to choose Nigeria because you have connections to Nigeria but your son who was born and bred abroad will pick Nigeria a country his own father left in his youth? The only thing your son will know about Nigeria is what you tell him, and what he reads on the web, but in UK Saka knows all the hood he grew up, went to school, fight, chase babe

So by the same token, you will be expecting Rio Ferdinand to play for StLucia, Sancho, and Rashford to play for Jamaica or some Caribbean country?

5 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 9:17pm On Jul 12, 2021
GloryIsaac:

No one is talking down on Nigeria, the results are there to see.

God-willing, Nigeria does well next year in the World Cup, it can set a precedence for the nation.

But if it remains the usual R16 knockout, cycle continues.

Enlighten me the last time Mexico, Chile and Paraguay made it past the R-16 in the world cup
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jul 12, 2021
CapitalCee:

Atheltes like Okocha, Kanu, Mikel, Osaze, Yobo, Enyeama, Garba Lawal etc abi

Funfact Paul Gascoigne former England hero have filed for bankruptcy since and is living in penury. I wonder where his welfare packege is.

These guys made their money from English football, and honestly won’t have had a much international appearances playing for foreign nations.

Filing for bankruptcy is based on how he handled his finances personally. Isn’t the first player to do so.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jul 12, 2021
patrickmuf:
No place like home...Even if I leave, I'll still come back home after the hustle...

Don’t know your age, but a wild guess will be 28+

The way you see the nation won’t be the same way someone born in a foreign nation will.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jul 12, 2021
CapitalCee:

We are talking about representing your country in a sports event not looking for better life. Maybe Drogba was playing for ASEC Mimosas of Cotedevoire, when he was playing for his country. Cavani that plays for Man United, didnt he represent Uruguay in the last Copa America?
Why didnt Dwight Yorke switch to England instead of Trinidad and Tobago, when he was a superster at Man United?
We wey dey born for naija sef never dey that patriotic na persons wey dey born for yankee and other western countries. No be say the country and the people wey dey run am dey even make am attractive to come and represent them. My brother e get why majority of talented athletes of African origin dey represent the country of their birth.

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 9:23pm On Jul 12, 2021
CapitalCee:

The only reason CHO and Zaha went back to Africa was because they didnt stand a chance with their European country. If they had been given a chance earlier, they would never consider it. That is the same way some of those guys use our head in Africa

When its time for world cup, Joel Matip and Kevin prince Boateng knowing they wont make German team quickly adopted their African country they didnt know about, After world cup and its time for AFCON qualifiers to Burundi, Malawi etc they quickly announced their international retirements.

I will rather respect those Saka Tammy etc that were honest and stayed with their country of birth than one coming here to use the head of Africans thereby one guy who suffered qualifiers riguors will get dropped for new guy wey just discover his heritage

Na so Efan Ekoku, Mike Emenalo dem take chance Nduka Ugbade for US 94 squad. Ugbade who would have been the first Nigerian to play for every level of FIFA tournament U17 captain, U21, U23 and senior team lost his place to guys who only remembered us when we qualified for world cup

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jul 12, 2021
CapitalCee:

Yet he went to his Country of origin nevertheless.
Primarily because he was not rated enough for the English senior team. That's not patriotism to me.

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 9:26pm On Jul 12, 2021
raumdeuter:

I disagree.

These Naija boys were probably born in the UK, they probably have never lived in Nigeria beyond the random 2weeks to 2months holidays every 5yrs(if that much), They probably cannot speak any Nigerian local dialect fluently. So what makes it home for them vs
A country they went to daycare, went to primary to secondary, played academy football, have friends, and everything. Basically, they become who they are today because of the investment UK made into their lives

It's understandable for someone like you to choose Nigeria because you have connections to Nigeria but your son who was born and bred abroad will pick Nigeria a country his own father left in his youth?

So by the same token, you will be expecting Rio Ferdinand to play for StLucia, Sancho, and Rashford to play for Jamaica or some Caribbean country?

Rio and Sancho's ancestors might have moved to UK long time ago, so must have been diluted. I heard Saka's father was born in Nigeria. Like i said i will persuade my soon to play for Nigeria. I will teach him my local Dialect and engrain him into our culture.

Samuel Etoo came to Spain as a 16 year old, his son was born and bread in spain. He son is representing cameroon. Why didn't his son chose spain.

Abedi Pele gave birth to all his sons in France. All of them are playing for Ghana, theirs was never out of neccesity they bled Ghana.

Wasnt Halaand born in the UK? Why is he not plYing for England?
Our star boy Mejbri was clearly born and bred in Europe he chose Tunisia immediately before his career even started.

It all depends on the orientation by the parents and the mentality.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (10444) (10445) (10446) (10447) (10448) (10449) (10450) ... (14209) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: Geestunnar(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.