Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,064 members, 7,849,303 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 06:15 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (507) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8833230 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (504) (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) ... (14208) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 22, 2013
GustavoFring:

Perhaps you are right about Rooney not performing as expected as a support striker, but how much of that drop is solely due to Rooney?

I agree that Rooney may have to be benched for the good of your team, but I also believe he is more of a threat than RVP at the moment.
At least our attacking options have suffered.
That I know.
Everybody knows that RvP is miles ahead of Rooney in the striking division. He is absolutely no threat to van Persie.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 5:10pm On Oct 22, 2013
dayokanu: Rooney is not a player for the hole but due to his stature he is being forced to play there

The player in the hole needs to have excellent ball holding ability and passing too.

Playing a Rooney as the man in the hole turns the system to 4-4-2

isn't that the reason fergie wanted sneijder after the CL final in 2010/11 & then bought kagawa in 11/12? rooney is not good enough as a centre forward & he's worthless as a trequartista

Nowadays a 4-2-3-1 beats a 4-4-2 if the players have similar skillset because it overloads and outnumber the midfield and starve the 2 strikers in the 4-4-2

this is why rooney should leave - i am sure that was fergie's concept & the reason he must have bought kagawa. rooney lacks the tact, vision & the incisive passing ability of players like mata, oscar, ozil, coutinho or eriksen.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by adebayo201: 5:12pm On Oct 22, 2013
how tomorrow go be Na
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 5:14pm On Oct 22, 2013
adebayo201: how tomorrow go be Na

home win against sociedad but it's moyes - he might start giggs, phil neville & nicky butt in the starting xi.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 5:38pm On Oct 22, 2013
Just watching United's training session and Fletcher looks fit/healthy.
DM should throw him in abeg...he would do better in his condition.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 5:49pm On Oct 22, 2013
dayokanu: Rooney is not a player for the hole but due to his stature he is being forced to play there

The player in the hole needs to have excellent ball holding ability and passing too.

Playing a Rooney as the man in the hole turns the system to 4-4-2

Nowadays a 4-2-3-1 beats a 4-4-2 if the players have similar skillset because it overloads and outnumber the midfield and starve the 2 strikers in the 4-4-2

How do you reconcile the fact that Rooney has played in the same position since he was 16 and the whole world believes he is one of the best to have ever played there?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 5:52pm On Oct 22, 2013
coogar:

isn't that the reason fergie wanted sneijder after the CL final in 2010/11 & then bought kagawa in 11/12? rooney is not good enough as a centre forward & he's worthless as a trequartista

this is why rooney should leave - i am sure that was fergie's concept & the reason he must have bought kagawa. rooney lacks the tact, vision & the incisive passing ability of players like mata, oscar, ozil, coutinho or eriksen.

But remember even SAF told Rooney he won't be released.

I guess Mata and Oscar were less creative than Rooney last season.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 6:09pm On Oct 22, 2013
elampiro:
But remember even SAF told Rooney he won't be released.

I guess Mata and Oscar were less creative than Rooney last season.

SAF couldn't be aršed about rooney - he said rooney wanted out & he wasn't going to stop him.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 6:31pm On Oct 22, 2013
elampiro:

How do you reconcile the fact that Rooney has played in the same position since he was 16 and the whole world believes he is one of the best to have ever played there?

Rooney plays mostly as a support striker in a 4-4-2.

A support striker in a 4-4-2 is different from a hole player in a 4-2-3-1
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 6:37pm On Oct 22, 2013
I'd rada see rooney as d "linkup" guy btwn MF and attack!! He has neva for once cme accross to me as a trequartista! Just like muller at bayern,He has neva, and wld neva be an "orchestrator", or d "true ball" kinda player. Castigating him for not "supplying through passes" is most unfair, wen it is a knw fact that;even in his best form, he has neva been knwn for such things! However, his present form is a major cause for concern! He doesnt look sharp at all, and d way he loses possession unneccesarily, is just annoying!! For a player who earns so much money, such performances are bound to get fans riled up! He just has to improve!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 6:42pm On Oct 22, 2013
coogar:

SAF couldn't be aršed about rooney - he said rooney wanted out & he wasn't going to stop him.

See the two reports below:

And Ferguson - who steps down from his role as manager of the Red Devils at the end of the season - revealed after the game that the striker did not want to be involved in the Premier League clash due to having handed in a transfer request.

"I don't think Wayne was keen to play, simply because he has asked for a transfer," Ferguson told Sky Sports 1. "I think he wants to think it through in his mind - I think that's a good idea. We're not going to let him go.

"I think maybe he is a bit frustrated. He has been taken off once or twice in the past couple of weeks.''

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/206913.html

Rooney is going nowhere says Manchester United boss Ferguson

⁠

Published : 08 Mar 2013 10:17:33⁠⁠Rss feed⁠⁠

Sir Alex Ferguson insists Wayne Rooney will still be at Manchester United next season.

Ferguson left Rooney out of the United line-up for Tuesday's Champions League defeat by Real Madrid, since when it has been suggested the Red Devils boss would be willing to accept an offer for the striker this summer.

However, speaking ahead of Sunday's FA Cup quarter-final with Chelsea, Ferguson said: "He will be here next year, you have my word on that. There is no issue between myself and Wayne Rooney. To suggest we don't talk is nonsense."

He went on: "He understood the reasons completely. Tactically we got it right. We don't always but we did then.

"There are no issues with the player and he will be involved on Sunday.

"I left out Shinji Kagawa after he scored a hat-trick. I thought I would get more stick for that."

Ferguson refused to say whether Rooney would actually start on Sunday.

And he again repeated his belief that the 27-year-old needed to play matches in order to retain full fitness, an assessment that has raised so much debate over the past few days.

"Why should I help anyone by telling them my team? We don't do that," said Ferguson.

"But Wayne does need a lot of football. He has always been that type. That has always been the case."

http://www.football.co.uk/manchester_united/rooney_is_going_nowhere_says_manchester_united_boss_ferguson_rss3820705.shtml
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 6:50pm On Oct 22, 2013
dademola: I'd rada see rooney as d "linkup" guy btwn MF and attack!! He has neva for once cme accross to me as a trequartista! Just like muller at bayern,He has neva, and wld neva be an "orchestrator", or d "true ball" kinda player. Castigating him for not "supplying through passes" is most unfair, wen it is a knw fact that;even in his best form, he has neva been knwn for such things! However, his present form is a major cause for concern! He doesnt look sharp at all, and d way he loses possession unneccesarily, is just annoying!! For a player who earns so much money, such performances are bound to get fans riled up! He just has to improve!

To me Rooney has only been poor against Sunderland and Southampton. Let someone help get his pass completion rate against Chelsea and Leverkusen.

It looks like he can't fit in with Janujaz and Nani's individualistic style of football. They don't make themselves available for a close unit team work.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 6:53pm On Oct 22, 2013
dademola: I'd rada see rooney as d "linkup" guy btwn MF and attack!! He has neva for once cme accross to me as a trequartista! Just like muller at bayern,He has neva, and wld neva be an "orchestrator", or d "true ball" kinda player. Castigating him for not "supplying through passes" is most unfair, wen it is a knw fact that;even in his best form, he has neva been knwn for such things! However, his present form is a major cause for concern! He doesnt look sharp at all, and d way he loses possession unneccesarily, is just annoying!! For a player who earns so much money, such performances are bound to get fans riled up! He just has to improve!

If you notice most times for Bayern Muller plays on the wings. Kroos or Gotze play in the hole mostly.

Nowadays Muller is moving to top striker. His instict is to be a striker like Rooney and cant stay too long in the middle
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 6:58pm On Oct 22, 2013
fergie wasn't going to speak the truth as at then cos the matter was still very fresh as at the time he made that interview...

this was his answer today....

The 71-year-old told Sky Sports: "This is the nub of it: in the regulations, in your contract, if you write a letter and ask away or say you have asked away, you lose all your signing-on fees.

"He has never admitted that and never put in a written transfer request, which is what he has been sore at."

Asked if he was clear that Rooney had made a verbal request to leave the club, Ferguson said: "Yes, that's right."

"My memory is he asked away because, he said, he was not going to play in his proper position. I can understand that.

"That's not a problem with me. I can only go on evidence on the football field. He wasn't playing well enough."
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 22, 2013
dayokanu:

If you notice most times for Bayern Muller plays on the wings. Kroos or Gotze play in the hole mostly.

Nowadays Muller is moving to top striker. His instict is to be a striker like Rooney and cant stay too long in the middle

we both knw pep is changing things atm, so i wont evaluate based on d happenings of this season! Yes, muller plays on d wings to accomodate kroos(and wen robben isnt fit), bt then, is kroos in d mould of d goetzes, silvas, matas and co? Muller has done excellently well in d hole just behind mandzukic, with ribery and robben on d flanks, and he isnt d thru ball type!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 22, 2013
elampiro:

To me Rooney has only been poor against Sunderland and Southampton. Let someone help get his pass completion rate against Chelsea and Leverkusen.

It looks like he can't fit in with Janujaz and Nani's individualistic style of football. They don't make themselves available for a close unit team work.
he was also horrible against westbrom! Hw can u blame januzaj and nani for rooney's poor form? A player looks outta sorts,and gets disposesd easily,and u r blaming nani and januzaj! Smh
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 7:23pm On Oct 22, 2013
dademola: we both knw pep is changing things atm, so i wont evaluate based on d happenings of this season! Yes, muller plays on d wings to accomodate kroos(and wen robben isnt fit), bt then, is kroos in d mould of d goetzes, silvas, matas and co? Muller has done excellently well in d hole just behind mandzukic, with ribery and robben on d flanks, and he isnt d thru ball type!

Before Pep , Kroos always plays in the hole unless when he isnt fit

kroos fits the retention game better while Muller in the hole most likely means we are going for fast breaks
For Muller to play he would rather bench Robben

Even for the National team, muller plays on the wing while ozil occupies the hole
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by superstar1(m): 7:29pm On Oct 22, 2013
chamotex: Just watching United's training session and Fletcher looks fit/healthy.

You want to give us heart attack abi?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 22, 2013
chamotex: Just watching United's training session and Fletcher looks fit/healthy.
You joking right? That dude hasn't played active footie since my niece was born
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 7:44pm On Oct 22, 2013
dademola: he was also horrible against westbrom! Hw can u blame januzaj and nani for rooney's poor form? A player looks outta sorts,and gets disposesd easily,and u r blaming nani and januzaj! Smh

He was very okay against West Brom until the 70th minute. At the time he was playing every match for and covering so much KM/H on the pitch. He even played three machetes in a week and obviously needed a rest.

Nani and Janujaz are very skillful but too individualistic in their style of play. With more games, they will begin to play with their team mates.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 22, 2013
dayokanu:

Before Pep , Kroos always plays in the hole unless when he isnt fit

kroos fits the retention game better while Muller in the hole most likely means we are going for fast breaks
For Muller to play he would rather bench Robben

Even for the National team, muller plays on the wing while ozil occupies the hole
my point is dt; bayern dont play a trequartista in d mould of dem silvas, matas and co. U cant say kroos or muller are similar to these players, yet bayern are d current champions of europe!!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 7:46pm On Oct 22, 2013
Ogbeche77: You joking right? That dude hasn't played active footie since my niece was born

He has been declared fit since a month ago. We need to try him with Carling cup or late subs.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 9:44pm On Oct 22, 2013
elampiro:

grin grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 9:50pm On Oct 22, 2013
chamotex:

grin grin

chamotex, did you see dortmund tonight? when it comes to purposeful possession football with the ball played on the ground, they are the best team in the world!

no wonder kagawa can't fit into our team. we cannot do it like dortmund. only anderson, cleverley & kagawa would play in their team. others would struggle to play this kinda 1-2 football under pressure.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 9:56pm On Oct 22, 2013
coogar:

chamotex, did you see dortmund tonight? when it comes to purposeful possession football with the ball played on the ground, they are the best team in the world!

no wonder kagawa can't fit into our team. we cannot do it like dortmund. only anderson, cleverley & kagawa would play in their team. others would struggle to play this kinda 1-2 football under pressure.

Their transition from defence to attack is probably the best I've seen in a long while.
They are more dangerous when they are on the back foot.
Our midfield is very poor compared to these European teams.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 22, 2013
chamotex:

grin grin
Seconded.
Opaks factory personified
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 10:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
StarBoard:
Seconded.
Opaks factory personified

The next excuse will be "he can't play with football boots"
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:16pm On Oct 22, 2013
The way Ozil struggled tonight. If it were Rooney that could only manage a few short passes, Coogar and co will find bullets. No risk taking, no power run or drives. Just play safe.

Football is not always smooth.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 10:17pm On Oct 22, 2013
chamotex:

The next excuse will be "he can't play with football boots"
grin grin grin
In fact eh.
I don't tire.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 10:20pm On Oct 22, 2013
elampiro: The way Ozil struggled tonight. If it were Rooney that could only manage a few short passes, Coogar and co will find bullets. No risk taking, no power run or drives. Just play safe.

OK we have heard.
Ozil is rubbish, and Rooney is better than him.
Satisfied?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:57pm On Oct 22, 2013
StarBoard:
OK we have heard.
Ozil is rubbish, and Rooney is better than him.
Satisfied?

Is that the point?

The point is you people are so unfair to Rooney just because of Kagawa. Daz all.

Rooney is over scrutinized. Despite his form, I like his risk taking.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 10:58pm On Oct 22, 2013
chamotex:
Their transition from defence to attack is probably the best I've seen in a long while.
They are more dangerous when they are on the back foot.
Our midfield is very poor compared to these European teams.

they don't even slow down....
it's waves after waves of relentless attacks for 90 mins. the fitness level is 110%.

elampiro: The way Ozil struggled tonight. If it were Rooney that could only manage a few short passes, Coogar and co will find bullets. No risk taking, no power run or drives. Just play safe.

ozil struggled?
what seems like ozil struggling is better than whatever rooney has managed all season.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1373582_image_jpg0d5b1c4c7f720f698946c7f6ab08f687

the day rooney manages 86% pass completion for us, i would buy a ram for every man utd fan in this section.

(1) (2) (3) ... (504) (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) ... (14208) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: aieromon(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.