Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,330 members, 7,836,397 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (510) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8794313 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) ... (14182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 6:03pm On Oct 23, 2013
A-40:

I kinda agree with Keane's stance on the book tho! Why is Fergie going out of his way to put down players that helped him establish his legacy! Cos whether he likes it or not credit must go to those players too

Sheesh that man na like Obasanjo! E no dey forgive grin grin

He did praise all the players, even Keane.
Those excerpts were marketing strategies to sell the book.
A little bit of ginger.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 6:34pm On Oct 23, 2013
adebayo201:
I tell you. no wonder, Rio at 34,vidic the Boss at 32,Evra at 32 and Baba Giggs at 35+ wnt take it lightly to resign!. hun
Sometime ago I was thinking maybe Giggs doesn't have good investments that's why he's hanging on...altho I made no research on it *better things to do with my life* Probably needs the doe undecided
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 6:34pm On Oct 23, 2013
Ehen e remain small for match time ooo cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 6:35pm On Oct 23, 2013
I hope the band boys are ready... grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 6:36pm On Oct 23, 2013
To be evaluating the performance of David Moyes just 11 games into the season is almost absurd; it certainly ought to be, and were he to be sacked tomorrow, no one would have the remotest inkling of his ability to manage Manchester United. And yet the start he has made bears discussion, not simply because it has been awful, though awful it has been, but also because it has been so in all the ways that might have been predicted.

In the first instance, Moyes's appointment reflected a dearth of candidates. Besides José Mourinho, too expensive and too much trouble, there were few available whose record demanded consideration; the Stretford End banner, "The Chosen One", might just as well read "Not The Special One". Where Sir Alex Ferguson had to devastate the Old Firm and win a European trophy to prove himself, even though United were struggling, Moyes learned of his accession after doing a largely decent but entirely believable job at Everton, where many supporters had become weary of his conservative tendencies. Of course, he can still thrive at Old Trafford, but did not earn the opportunity to try.

But he was no sooner arrived than ensconced, bringing in his Goodison deputies to replace those already in situ – as regards Jimmy Lumsden and Steve Round, his patronage the only evidence of their suitability. Nonetheless, in regular circumstances, regulation practice; but these were not those.

Though it is impossible for outsiders to rhapsodise the merits of the men who left, René Meulensteen is, by all accounts, a talented coach, and was popular with the players. Similarly, Eric Steele scouted David De Gea, learnt Spanish so that the goalkeeper might feel less homesick, and then presided over a staggering improvement in performance, physique and mentality.

Which is to say that both were integral to the delivery of consistent success, an expertise suddenly deemed dispensable. Rather, Moyes adjudged that of all the coaches in the world, those most likely to take his new club forward were already working for him
– quite some coincidence, all the more so when he confirmed Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini as principal transfer targets.

Then, during pre-season, Moyes talked of how he had "overtrained" Robin van Persie, on the face of it, an innocuous, if injudicious turn of phrase – unless it was actually the case. Even so, ordinarily, it would be tricky to sympathise with the player, but after losing chunks of his career to injury and rehabilitation, Van Persie has stayed fit for two full seasons, and, it is fair to assume, knows his own body.

Again, this unusual power dynamic is due to unusual conditions: Moyes is a non-champion managing a squad of serial champions, replacing a much-loved predecessor. Therefore, it is he who must prove himself to the players, rather than the other way around – a mission made trickier following a dicky start that they could easily associate with his presence.

Nor is Van Persie the only one unhappy; Shinji Kagawa has reportedly expressed discontent, and the team as a whole is playing without freedom or pleasure. Footballers are often thought mandated to tolerate hardship for the privilege of their profession, but most humans perform at optimal level when comfortable, and clearly, there has been a disruption to the equilibrium of a previously happy squad.

This summer's transfer activities also reflect badly on Moyes. Though the extent of the budgeting strictures are unknown, and though it is not solely his department, the conspiratorial manner in which he addressed the press on the subject accorded him greater ownership than might otherwise have been the case. [/b]And it was certainly he who was unwilling to gamble on Ander Herrera, saw no use for the proven brilliance of Mesut Özil, and failed to advise Ed Woodward that Cesc Fábregas would not be extracted from Barcelona on the cheap. Instead, Fellaini arrived, who, though better than he has shown so far, does not flatter his manager's judgment. Bought only once the squad had been assessed,[b] his lack of pace, drive and anticipation was overlooked, and as such, he looks incapable of strengthening a midfield desperate for almost anyone.

But the club considered its principal summer coup to be keeping Wayne Rooney, in one sense legitimately so – unarguably, he guarantees goals and assists – but in another, the intransigence hinted at expedience. Had Rooney left for Chelsea and helped them to the title, the narrative of culpability would be linear and clear. Now, should United fail in their defence, there exist numerous fudges to achieve its dispersal.

Yet the fact remains that Rooney is 28 this week and stagnant at best, the notion that money earned and saved via his sale could not be used to buy a superior, younger player, less likely with every passing injury, tantrum, nightmare and year. In the meantime, after testing team-mates with his attitude, he now captains them in the absence of Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic.

The principal victim of all this has been Kagawa, seemingly earmarked to take his place at the creative hub of a reshaped side. And though his celebration does not reflect his contribution, let alone relatively, nor did that of Louis Saha, who nevertheless usurped the consistently productive but increasingly joyless Ruud van Nistelrooy, to devastating effect.

"They keep telling me how good he is," said Moyes of Kagawa before United played Liverpool in the League Cup, with revealing pronoun. Then, just as in every game he has started this season, he was first fielded out of position before being substituted, his involvement intermittent, but also including sharp, incisive and perceptive passes – precisely the quality absent most of the rest of the time.

There remains a view that Kagawa's attributes of subtlety and improvisation are not those frequently found in Moyes's players, likewise those of Wilfried Zaha, another step-quickener in a squad hardly suffering a surfeit. But Zaha has yet to be considered worthy of a single second on the pitch, not even against Crystal Palace, the team he inspired to promotion last season.

In his early weeks, Moyes preferred Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia, their abilities more akin to those favoured in his Everton sides. Accordingly, it was not altogether surprising when United failed to create a single decent chance against Chelsea and required a soft penalty and late free-kick to beat Palace's 10 men, before dominating possession at Anfield as Liverpool retreated, yet threatening a goal only once.

Assessed in isolation, none of these events were especially significant, but consecutively, hinted at a more tangible malaise, subsequently manifested in the Manchester derby. The first half in particular was as severe and complete a hiding as United have received domestically in almost a decade, table footballers taking on a Subbuteo team. And yet, at its end, Moyes chose to do nothing, instead watching his team concede twice more within minutes. By way of contrast, at the same stage the previous afternoon, Everton were a goal down to West Ham, so Roberto Martínez made two alterations, spurring his team to victory.

Since then, Moyes has moved closer to finding his best eleven but without much improvement in performance, opposition defences easily repelling the constant crosses that appear too often to be coincidence. Of course, the players still produce occasional excerpts of instinctive brilliance, but given their ability, this is almost unavoidable. More instructive is that only twice this season might it be posited that United played well: against Swansea, in the opening game – even that punctuated by moments rather than replete with cohesion – and against a Bayer Leverkusen team that barely competed, yet, with merely competent goalkeeping, might have sneaked a draw.

As he is determined no one forget, Moyes was dealt a difficult start, [b]an excuse divested of currency following the games against West Brom and Southampton. But his repeated inference that darker forces were afoot affronted players accustomed to coping with plenty more. And though they are absolutely letting him down, publicly, at least, he has done little to rouse them, the given impression one of Fergie without the charisma. Instead, he dismissed their chances in Europe, handily allowing him to dodge any blame for the same, lamented the lack of "world-class players" bestowed upon him, and implied that their most recent success merely reflected the poverty of opposition.

By no measure is the current United squad one of the club's finest, but the fact remains that it secured last season's title before the end of April and contains a goodly number of players still improving. Consequently, Moyes's lack of respect for its credentials served only to suggest his own shortcomings, because ultimately, there are only three differences between this season's United and last: a player signed by David Moyes, men employed by David Moyes and David Moyes.
[/b]

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/oct/23/david-moyes-manchester-united-bad-start
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 6:37pm On Oct 23, 2013
SailorXY:
Sometime ago I was thinking maybe Giggs doesn't have good investments that's why he's hanging on...altho I made no research on it *better things to do with my life* Probably needs the doe undecided

The guy probably spent all he made on imogen and his brothers' wife all those years he was shagging them, that's why he wants to beat Roger millas record.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 6:44pm On Oct 23, 2013
coded guy:

The guy probably spent all he made on imogen and his brothers' wife all those years he was shagging them, that's why he wants to beat Roger millas record.

Have you seen Imogen? That girl could seduce the billions out of Scrooge McDuck. cool
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 6:59pm On Oct 23, 2013
moyes has brainfarted again...

----------de gea----------
rafael--jones--evans--evra
valencia--giggs--carrick--kagawa
-----chicharito----rooney-----

i still find it baffling giggs start games ahead of anderson, fellaini, etc. it's just wrong playing giggs in the midfield. he puts the u in useless!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by n0m0705(m): 7:01pm On Oct 23, 2013
coogar: moyes has brainfarted again...

i still find it baffling giggs start games ahead of anderson, fellaini, etc. it's just wrong playing giggs in the midfield. he puts the [b]u[/u] in useless!
As much as I want to agree with you about giggs, the form of the other options is nothing to write home about. Maybe pa giggs can give us a better performance today. It is almost the same squad as the one that played liverpool in capital one cup and that was one of our best performance this season.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 7:10pm On Oct 23, 2013
n0m0705:
As much as I want to agree with you about giggs, the form of the other options is nothing to write home about. Maybe pa giggs can give us a better performance today. It is almost the same squad as the one that played liverpool in capital one cup and that was one of our best performance this season.

in your opinion, giggs has played better than anderson & marouane this season? really?? shocked
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chamotex(m): 7:11pm On Oct 23, 2013
montelik:

Have you seen Imogen? That girl could seduce the billions out of Scrooge McDuck. cool

Have you seen her sseexxx tape? grin

Okay back to topic, I hope at some point Kagawa would get a proper chance to play in the hole so we an all assess him.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 7:13pm On Oct 23, 2013
n0m0705:

Which better performance, the guy should respect himself and retire for crying out loud. I would rather give Anderson that slot than play Giggs.

I have a feeling we are gonna be surprised today, am not confident at all.

If sociedad decide to crowd that midfield with giggs in there, they will tear us apart by running him over. This is a spanish team full of running.

Let's be watching sha. Damn!!!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 7:15pm On Oct 23, 2013
De Gea; Rafael, Jones, Evans, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Kagawa; Rooney, Hernandez. Subs: Lindegaard, Buttner, Smalling, Fellaini, Nani, Young, Januzaj
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 7:19pm On Oct 23, 2013
coogar: moyes has brainfarted again...

----------de gea----------
rafael--jones--evans--evra

i still find it baffling giggs start games ahead of anderson, fellaini, etc. it's just wrong playing giggs in the midfield. he puts the u in useless!
Sure DM is not having a bust up wit VP?
Ando didnt even make bench
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 7:19pm On Oct 23, 2013
No Welbeck, no RVP. I guess that means if we need goals, we will bring on Fellaini and start playing 90's Wimbledon style footy. cry
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 7:19pm On Oct 23, 2013
coded guy:

Which better performance, the guy should respect himself and retire for crying out loud. I would rather give Anderson that slot than play Giggs.

I have a feeling we are gonna be surprised today, am not confident at all.

If sociedad decide to crowd that midfield with giggs in there, they will tear us apart by running him over. This is a spanish team full of running.

Let's be watching sha. Damn!!!

exactly my thoughts....
giggs was the reason southampton came back and equalise on saturday. seeing him on the pitch even demoralises younger players in that position.

if i were 25 and a hapless & useless 40 year-old winger is chosen ahead of me, i would be grossly disappointed. what else does giggs want? he's as poisonous to the team as rooney.

i remember saying rooney & giggs should be sold in the summer - there cannot be a significant progress with those 2 in the squad. disastrous when the 2 start a match.

chrisley024:
Sure DM is not having a bust up wit VP?
Ando didnt even make bench

rooney & colleen probably choose the team for moyes.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by n0m0705(m): 7:19pm On Oct 23, 2013
coogar:

in your opinion, giggs has played better than anderson & marouane this season? really?? shocked
It is not about him being better than anyone, it is about how the team has been playing and I think we cannot be poorer than what other midfield combination have been serving us. 90 mins will judge if his inclusion is justified.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 7:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
David Moyes, on Robin van Persie's absence against Real Sociedad: "He has two bad toes and has been complaining about his groin so we took the chance to rest him and get him ready for the weekend.

"We've got a big squad and players who are fresh. All you can do is win the next game and we'll try and beat Sociedad. That will give us a good points tally.

"They have not started the Spanish season as well as they would like but they had a good win against Valencia at the weekend."
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 7:31pm On Oct 23, 2013
chamotex:

Have you seen her sseexxx tape? grin

Okay back to topic, I hope at some point Kagawa would get a proper chance to play in the hole so we an all assess him.

She has one, seriously no joking?

[size=5pt]*runs off to google*[/size]
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 7:37pm On Oct 23, 2013
n0m0705:
It is not about him being better than anyone, it is about how the team has been playing and I think we cannot be poorer than what other midfield combination have been serving us. 90 mins will judge if his inclusion is justified.

what other proof do you need that giggs is useless? he's been useless since 2009. when he plays 2 consecutive games, things get worse.

fellaini is struggling but he's not going to get better on the bench. moyes should continue to play him till he get up to speed. fergie didn't give up on evra/vidic with their poor start.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elrony(m): 7:47pm On Oct 23, 2013
I just Siddon D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ look DM sha
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 7:49pm On Oct 23, 2013
Shut up guys.

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 7:53pm On Oct 23, 2013
Was that not a penalty for Hernadez? We could have been 2 nil up now.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elrony(m): 8:02pm On Oct 23, 2013
Dis guys better score!!!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 8:15pm On Oct 23, 2013
they weren't exaggerating when they said sociedad were in poor form.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 8:16pm On Oct 23, 2013
montelik: they weren't exaggerating when they said sociedad were in poor form.

giggs is a liability....
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 8:19pm On Oct 23, 2013
its a contact sport ref. take it easy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 8:31pm On Oct 23, 2013
montelik: its a contact sport ref. take it easy

The guy just sharing yellow card like its confetti.

montelik: they weren't exaggerating when they said sociedad were in poor form.

Haha and someone would think we was playing well.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 8:34pm On Oct 23, 2013
Pls no 2nd yellow for Rafael. I am scared.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 8:36pm On Oct 23, 2013
coded guy:
The guy just sharing yellow card like its confetti.

Haha and someone would think we was playing well.

nonsense game...
we have no control in the middle - we lose it as soon as we get hold of the ball. giggs should just go....

kagawa has been outstanding. his off-the-ball running & dribbling have been world class. hernandez's runs create the space at the edge of the box for rooney but man child missed a golden opportunity to make it 2-0.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 8:38pm On Oct 23, 2013
Just saw d goal, nice play from white pele
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 8:39pm On Oct 23, 2013
Abeg who still dey start Valencia? Valencia should never start unless Rafael is injured & @ right back only. From the 30th min when I started watching, he didn't even exist!!
& a remainder to those who still see no improvement in Chicharito's overall game & still opine he is a sitdon look striker undecided... Hehehehe I dey laff una

(1) (2) (3) ... (507) (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) ... (14182) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: cdor777 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.