Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,427 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (6925) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8776852 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6922) (6923) (6924) (6925) (6926) (6927) (6928) ... (14175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 4:54am On Aug 15, 2019
Fernandes' pass completion rate of 75.1% wasn't deemed high enough even if he works with an element of risk.

- Mail
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 5:03am On Aug 15, 2019
United decided against signing Bruno Fernandes as scouts felt his way of playing did not suit Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s style. There were also concerns he takes too many risks in possession.

- Mail
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 5:04am On Aug 15, 2019
Alexis Sanchez wants to leave United this summer. Sanchez's agent, Fernando Felicevich, met with Juventus earlier in the summer, while Napoli and AC Milan also hold an interest.

- Mail
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 5:06am On Aug 15, 2019
Alexis Sanchez wants to leave Manchester United within the next fortnight. He's keen on a return to Serie A with Juventus, AC Milan and Napoli being the favourites to sign him.

- Mail
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by lekkie073(m): 7:33am On Aug 15, 2019
Lana1:
See Liverpool's insane pressing. Yet they always keep a compact shape in midfield and defence. Very little holes for opponents to exploit.

We have a loooooooooong way to go.
a team set up to play counter attacking football does not think highly of a high pressing midfield. The earlier you guys realize that the team is set up to soak pressure and then break away to offense, the better. The only fear is that we might likely find is harder to break teams that sit back all day.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 7:49am On Aug 15, 2019
lekkie073:
a team set up to play counter attacking football does not think highly of a high pressing midfield. The earlier you guys realize that the team is set up to soak pressure and then break away to offense, the better. The only fear is that we might likely find is harder to break teams that sit back all day.

Hmm if I were a coach I would never deploy a soak pressure and break on the counter approach as my default tactics.

I'd rather find players for a strategy/tactics that is to press and dominate and the soak pressure and counter will come in a strategic instances. Dominating teams always have the confidence and believe they will break any defensive opponent.

That's why teams like barca, city and to a large extent Liverpool and PSG always seem to dominate.

With the players we have I don't even know which tactics really suits us. We seem to have a decent first team defense but an average midfield and supposedly potent attack. In a counter attacking set up, apart from a long haul to the attackers, the midfield transistion is very key.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by paafin(m): 7:51am On Aug 15, 2019
Oasis007:
Alexis Sanchez wants to leave Manchester United within the next fortnight. He's keen on a return to Serie A with Juventus, AC Milan and Napoli being the favourites to sign him.

- Mail
I think Sanchez will have a wonderful season if he fights for his place in that no 10 role. He's better than Lingard and more creative too. Gomez wil definitely supersede him when his time comes.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Itsmedozie: 8:23am On Aug 15, 2019
Swissh:

Is that an answer to the question?
did you even answer my question in first place
leave here little boy angry

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 9:02am On Aug 15, 2019
lekkie073:

Shows you didn’t watch preseason. The default tactic isn’t to soak pressure and break away in counter attacks- that’s just how we got goals against Chelsea.

Did you see the game against Inter and the last game against Kristiansund? We possessed them, probing for spaces to create goals. The match against Tottenham was also even- they’re good with the ball at their feet so the pressing was with sense. We didn’t sit back against them either.

The tactics used in a match depends on the opponent. We’ve got food counter-attacking system but we improved on breaking park-the-bus teams in preseason.

I don’t know where you guys get your stories from. undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 9:04am On Aug 15, 2019
codedguy1:

Hmm if I were a coach I would never deploy a soak pressure and break on the counter approach as my default tactics.

I'd rather find players for a strategy/tactics that is to press and dominate and the soak pressure and counter will come in a strategic instances. Dominating teams always have the confidence and believe they will break any defensive opponent.

That's why teams like barca, city and to a large extent Liverpool and PSG always seem to dominate.

With the players we have I don't even know which tactics really suits us. We seem to have a decent first team defense but an average midfield and supposedly potent attack. In a counter attacking set up, apart from a long haul to the attackers, the midfield transistion is very key.

You could say Barcelona parked the bus home and away against Liverpool last season.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 9:19am On Aug 15, 2019
Leyqute:

You could say Barcelona parked the bus home and away against Liverpool last season.

But we all know its not their default setting. That's why I said it would only be deployed on specific/strategic instances.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 9:57am On Aug 15, 2019
codedguy1:

But we all know its not their default setting. That's why I said it would only be deployed on specific/strategic instances.

Agreed. And Lekkie was wrong to assume that the default setting of OGS is counter attack. We’ve only played Chelsea this season- too little data. Despite that, I don’t think counter-attacking is the default setting.

Considering the other thing you said, we don’t have many players who are veeery good at breaking down defenses. All of them are okay in this regard, but just a few of them have that vision and skill to create goals from within a pack of bodies.

Pogba and Martial can do this and I think Gomes, Chong and Greenwood too can flourish in this setting but you can’t always start them at the moment.

Lingard, Rashford and James are counter-attack addicts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 9:58am On Aug 15, 2019
United are ready to offer Lindelof a three year extension worth £150,000-a-week [double his wage] that would keep him at the club until 2025.

- Mirror
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 10:18am On Aug 15, 2019
Leyqute:

Agreed. And Lekkie was wrong to assume that the default setting of OGS is counter attack. We’ve only played Chelsea this season- too little data. Despite that, I don’t think counter-attacking is the default setting.

Considering the other thing you said, we don’t have many players who are veeery good at breaking down defenses. All of them are okay in this regard, but just a few of them have that vision and skill to create goals from within a pack of bodies.

Pogba and Martial can do this and I think Gomes, Chong and Greenwood too can flourish in this setting but you can’t always start them at the moment.

Yeah I didn't watch most of our preseason but our first few games when Ole came should be a pointer to how I believe he really wants to play.

My initial post was just my opinion on what I would deploy as a coach, by default that's what I want united to be, a pressing team. It doesn't mean the team would not be able to adjust to the soak and counter against opponents for strategic reasons.

Our midfield is the problem but it doesn't mean they can't execute it once in a while.

Lingard and Martial you mentioned as counter attack addicts have been crucified on this same board times without number. Lingard for just being average and Martial for his attitude, But we know what they can be when in their element.

As per James, he just came, had a good game and a goal on his debut. Let's hope his speed is a problem for opponents.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 10:42am On Aug 15, 2019
codedguy1:

Yeah I didn't watch most of our preseason but our first few games when Ole came should be a pointer to how I believe he really wants to play.

My initial post was just my opinion on what I would deploy as a coach, by default that's what I want united to be, a pressing team. It doesn't mean the team would not be able to adjust to the soak and counter against opponents for strategic reasons.

Our midfield is the problem but it doesn't mean they can't execute it once in a while.

Lingard and Martial you mentioned as counter attack addicts have been crucified on this same board times without number. Lingard for just being average and Martial for his attitude, But we know what they can be when in their element.

As per James, he just came, had a good game and a goal on his debut. Let's hope his speed is a problem for opponents.

When OLE arrived in December there wasn’t enough time to change things and make the team play the way he wants. You can’t really create a new method of play during the season. You just study your next opponent and spend time preparing how to play them.

So, your assumption that those first few games showed how he wanted to play is wrong. He merely played to the strength of the team he got on ground.

Preseason is where you’ll know how he wanted to play and the system he wants to use. And going by the 2019 tour, it isn’t preseason.

———————————————

I didn’t say Martial is a counter attack addict. I mentioned Rashford and Lingard.

And that doesn’t mean I’m condemning the two of them - it’s jist that they don’t, at the moment, have the abilities to break down packed defenses like the other guys I mentioned.

I’m not attacking you bro, just discussing football.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 11:15am On Aug 15, 2019
afrodoc2:

The local fans rate O'Connor highly but for some reason it appears the bosses don't.
O'Connor has played RB, LB, CB at different times quite well, though he is obviously too small to play CB at the senior level.

Williams is just a few months younger and also plays LB (though he is predominantly right footed). Better than O'Connor going forward though he has a wicked streak in him and will likely be a card magnet.

Laird is the youngest but most hyped of the 3. His path to the senior team was looking the easiest until the club bought AWB.

Summary is we have 2 RBs and 2 LBs in the reserves who are waiting in the wings to take Ashley Young's place on the bench.
Lee O'Connor looks very assured with the ball, I took note of his passing abilities.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by DeadPresidents: 11:18am On Aug 15, 2019
Leyqute:

I think a good manager adapts his tactics to suit the qualities of the components available to work with.

We have players like Pogba, Mata, Martial, Gomes, Greenwood with great close control and can give incisive passes in the tightest spots capable of opening up stubborn low block defences.

We also have players like Rashford, Daniel James, Lingard, Tahith Chong, Dalot who clearly thrive on space to counterattack.

When playing top teams who place a premium on being able to retain control of the ball and retention while playing a high line (you can't play effective possession football without a high line) it could be best to encourage their mistakes and take advantage of them.

Madrid won 3 CL titles without necessarily seeking to control every game but their counterattacks were devastating. They however controlled the midfield when they met more defensive teams and I think that's a decent model to follow.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 11:19am On Aug 15, 2019
As time goes by, we all gonna understand the tactical prowess of OGS. Is he a defensive-minded Manager? Absolutely NO.

I don't wanna engage anyone or add anything to OGS Tactics Discourse, but all I'm gonna say is; OGS is the right Manager for the Club.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SkimpleD: 11:22am On Aug 15, 2019
paafin:

I think Sanchez will have a wonderful season if he fights for his place in that no 10 role. He's better than Lingard and more creative too. Gomez wil definitely supersede him when his time comes.
Supersede FC

grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Swissh: 11:31am On Aug 15, 2019
SkimpleD:

Supersede FC

grin
Bwhahahaha cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SkimpleD: 11:33am On Aug 15, 2019
Swissh:

Bwhahahaha cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Who go come Supersede Pogba na so that he can go to Madrid?

cheesy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Swissh: 11:40am On Aug 15, 2019
afrodoc2:

No let camera angle deceive you, James is 3-4 inches taller than Gomes.

Meanwhile one of these will supersede Young on the bench by next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia-GPI61o7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFg0OMGKqss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBbafuI8vgg
SkimpleD The rate at which people supersede in united is getting high grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Lana1(m): 11:42am On Aug 15, 2019
Even if we decide to be playing counter attacking football, then no problem. We used to do that under SAF very well.

I know we no fit buy players anymore. But that middle 3 needs to be sorted out. We cant keep allowing teams to be running all over us because they cant hold the ball and pass around for 5 mins.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 11:48am On Aug 15, 2019

Sanchez?!

Maybe he's gonna be a positive Revelation playing as an AM this Season..... If he's not sold.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 12:04pm On Aug 15, 2019
Leyqute:

When OLE arrived in December there wasn’t enough time to change things and make the team play the way he wants. You can’t really create a new method of play during the season. You just study your next opponent and spend time preparing how to play them.

So, your assumption that those first few games showed how he wanted to play is wrong. He merely played to the strength of the team he got on ground.

Preseason is where you’ll know how he wanted to play and the system he wants to use. And going by the 2019 tour, it isn’t preseason.

———————————————

I didn’t say Martial is a counter attack addict. I mentioned Rashford and Lingard.

And that doesn’t mean I’m condemning the two of them - it’s jist that they don’t, at the moment, have the abilities to break down packed defenses like the other guys I mentioned.

I’m not attacking you bro, just discussing football.

I don't totally agree with your first paragraph, but make we leave matter. During the course of the season a lot would be revealed.

My bad about Martial. But everything I said about martial in my initial post also applies to Rashford especially his headless running.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 12:09pm On Aug 15, 2019
codedguy1:

I don't totally agree with your first paragraph, but make we leave matter. During the course of the season a lot would be revealed.

My bad about Martial. But everything I said about martial in my initial post also applies to Rashford especially his headless running.

Alright then. Peace.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SkimpleD: 12:11pm On Aug 15, 2019
Swissh:

SkimpleD The rate at which people supersede in united is getting high grin cheesy grin cheesy
LeeMAoo!

Supersede FC. grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SkimpleD: 12:13pm On Aug 15, 2019
Oasis007:

Sanchez?!

Maybe he's gonna be a positive Revelation playing as an AM this Season..... If he's not sold.
Una wan share the positives with us this season? grin

Oh, I didn’t see the ‘revelation’ attached to it shocked

Positive Revelation FC grin

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by maik99(m): 12:13pm On Aug 15, 2019
paafin:

How the mighty have fallen..Sanchez and Lingard in the same sentence!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by LongD(m): 12:17pm On Aug 15, 2019
afrodoc2:

No let camera angle deceive you, James is 3-4 inches taller than Gomes.

Meanwhile one of these will supersede Young on the bench by next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia-GPI61o7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFg0OMGKqss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBbafuI8vgg
James is 5.7 Gomes is 5.6
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 12:27pm On Aug 15, 2019
LongD:

James is 5.7 Gomes is 5.6

Ok
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 12:35pm On Aug 15, 2019
maik99:

How the mighty have fallen..Sanchez and Lingard in the same sentence!

That's what happens when you're the highest earning player in the league and you can't score up to 5 goals in a season.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6922) (6923) (6924) (6925) (6926) (6927) (6928) ... (14175) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.