Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,728 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1039) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4441178 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1036) (1037) (1038) (1039) (1040) (1041) (1042) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gokoyer0(m): 6:08pm On Jan 08, 2020
I don't know if you know about i-invest that handle TBillls? If the answer is yes, is that the reason their rate is extremely low recently? Is the rate gonna pick up?
DigitalMallam:

Really?
Even Bond going south. Indeed the handiwork of the Economic Advisory Team. My advice for investors is to be careful with their hard earned funds, and be mindful of investment opportunities and proliferation of mushroom investment houses springing up lately. This is an interesting times in 9ja. Still don't understand the game plan, our neighbor (Ghana) had pretty good rate for their TB. Not that 9ja economy is doing better. I'll rather leave my money idle or in mmf than going for 5% TB or 8% saving bonds
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gokoyer0(m): 6:23pm On Jan 08, 2020
I am reasoning this Morgan capital. My Oga, how far with your registration with them? I am hoping to build my portfolio with them. Hope to hear from you soon.
ojesymsym:
5k? Hmmmm.
Thanks for the prompt response.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gokoyer0(m): 6:37pm On Jan 08, 2020
shocked I just got answers to my questions o. Just imagined, I liquidated TBills of 14.5% last November. It seems TBills Don cast indeed.
Kolping:
Treasury Bills Rate Weakens to 3.5% as Demand Wanes - Business Post Nigeria
https://businesspost.ng/economy/treasury-bills-rate-weakens-to-3-5-as-demand-wanes/

the rate for the 91-day treasury bill was weakened to 3.50 percent from 4.00 percent, the 182-day tenor was slightly lowered to 4.90 percent from 5.00 percent, while the 364-day maturity marginally declined to 5.20 percent from 5.50 percent.

The CBN has continued to lower treasury bills rates at the primary market to spur lending in the real sector of economy, while those for OMO bills are left high to attract foreign investors so as to boost the nation’s foreign reserves, which dropped below $40 billion some weeks ago.

https://www.nairaland.com/3658395/fgn-savings-bond

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Trone: 7:05pm On Jan 08, 2020
ukay2:

morgancapitalgroup.com
Thank you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 7:10pm On Jan 08, 2020
Pretty easy. Register on their website, they will send the form to your email which you fill and send to them alongside your KYC documents as you would need in a bank.
Now, I de wait for further instructions from them.

Gokoyer0:
I am reasoning this Morgan capital. My Oga, how far with your registration with them? I am hoping to build my portfolio with them. Hope to hear from you soon.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by richforever123: 7:17pm On Jan 08, 2020
ojesymsym:
Pretty easy. Register on their website, they will send the form to your email which you fill and send to them alongside your KYC documents as you would need in a bank.

Morgan Capital is not SSL secured, I think I prefer http://investnow.ng/ they have a very built site, very professional

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gokoyer0(m): 7:33pm On Jan 08, 2020
Ok sir. Thanks. But the way TBills rate and bonds are going down, it seems stock trade is the way now but I learnt it's more risky than those 2 afore-mentioned.
ojesymsym:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gokoyer0(m): 7:36pm On Jan 08, 2020
Thanks for the reply. I checked investnow out and they have a very good website and nice app as well. But which one of the products do you think I can start with?
richforever123:

Morgan Capital is not SSL secured, I think I prefer http://investnow.ng/ they have a very built site, very professional
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pluto09(m): 7:59pm On Jan 08, 2020
Gokoyer0:
Ok sir. Thanks. But the way TBills rate and bonds are going down, it seems stock trade is the way now but I learnt it's more risky than those 2 afore-mentioned.

If you have not done stocks before, don't rush into it now that the market is already bullish.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pluto09(m): 8:01pm On Jan 08, 2020
Gokoyer0:
Thanks for the reply. I checked investnow out and they have a very good website and nice app as well. But which one of the products do you think I can start with?

The major advantage of Morgan over others is their low commission. They seem to have the lowest commission for retail traders with no deep pocket.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SundryInfo: 8:16pm On Jan 08, 2020
bugmenot:

My brother, tell them o!

The environments are not comparable. At all! I often like to joke that in Naija you spent 90% of your business start up capital on things that basic infrastructure should have taken care of - generators, fuel, security, roads. How on earth can businesses thrive and become profitable in such an environment? I often hear of products imported from China that end up costing less than the locally manufactured ones. In the US and UK, you would start by drawing a business plan, leveraging existing infrastructure, and charting a path to a sustainable business. In Naija, you start from a generator store buying a backup for the backup generator.

It's amazing how in the twinkle of an eye, someone decides that we must have low single digit TB interest rates in an environment where banks issue loans at close to 30% plus a right and left kidney as collateral. In the developed world, you can get loans at low to mid single digit interest rates with a reasonable credit score. There are lots of enterpreneurs looking for financing to start or boost businesses despite the harsh business climate - the banks are however reluctant to lend because of the high risk involved. There's really no magic to it - providing 24/7 power supply, security, etc will reduce cost of doing business in Nigeria. Some of the CBN's moves are in the right direction - BVNs for example so credit worthiness can be assessed across financial institutions. We however have a long way to go.

It's often best when things are driven by market forces. Why for example is imported rice more desireable? Rather than ask such questions, they create artificial scarcity by closing the borders. Forced single digit interest rates in an unstable currency vs single digit interest rates in a stable currency like the USD or GBP, the better choice is obvious.

Anyways, enough of my ranting. We go siddown dey look.

Deep yearns!

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gokoyer0(m): 8:31pm On Jan 08, 2020
Ok, sir.
pluto09:

If you have not done stocks before, don't rush into it now that the market is already bullish.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 8:58pm On Jan 08, 2020
It is a lot more risky. No guarantees what so ever. But from the little I know, if all you want is to be getting dividends at the end of the year, you could be fine if you select the right stock. But if you want to be doing buying and selling of stocks then you will need far more education.
Oga Ema can do well to confirm that.

Gokoyer0:

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 9:00pm On Jan 08, 2020
The itrade app that allows you to buy and sell your shares was what made Morgan very easy for me to make a decision.
As to if it is SSL secured, even the link you posted is http and not https which indicates it is SSL. I don't know how payment is done with them but I know that it will use pre existing secured platforms.
richforever123:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 08, 2020
emmasoft:

Come to investment one and invest in vantage guaranteed income fund VGIF 11.11% or Abacus money market fund AMMF. Check my signature for link to open account online

I don check your signature. Nah stock exchange dey there. I guess you are a broker.
Anyway, this is a free world. But I don't have free money to gamble. I have lost a lot of money in stock exchange and I can afford to lose again. Once bitten ,twice shy..
Tell me sth else.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by richforever123: 9:05pm On Jan 08, 2020
ojesymsym:
The itrade app that allows you to buy and sell your shares was what made Morgan very easy for me to make a decision.
As to if it is SSL secured, even the link you posted is http and not https which indicates it is SSL. I don't know how payment is done with them but I know that it will use pre existing secured platforms.

The link is not an HTTPS secure link but once you click it, it automatically forces SSL, I can never trust a site that is not HTTPS secure, even if they are the cheapest, I am a software developer so I take these things very serious

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by richforever123: 9:06pm On Jan 08, 2020
Gokoyer0:

Their Bonds are 14%, you can try that, their mutual funds are also at 8.4%
Best Regards

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 9:22pm On Jan 08, 2020
Oh okay. Makes sense. I do not yet know if they use their site as a payment platform but just to put things in perspective, Nairaland is not https secure right?
richforever123:

The link is not an HTTPS secure link but once you click it, it automatically forces SSL, I can never trust a site that is not HTTPS secure, even if they are the cheapest, I am a software developer so I take these things very serious
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 9:28pm On Jan 08, 2020
ojesymsym:
Oh okay. Makes sense. I do not yet know if they use their site as a payment platform but just to put things in perspective, Nairaland is not https secure right?
Nairaland is. once it has https and shows the padlock symbol, it’s secure
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 9:33pm On Jan 08, 2020
Hmmm. I will be surprised if Morgan is not https though. Google sort of made it mandatory for sites to be https sometime last year. I go check am again then. SSL certificate non hard to get na, haba.

chigo4u:

Nairaland is. once it has https and shows the padlock symbol, it’s secure
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Paulfroshman: 10:18pm On Jan 08, 2020
smiley
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ibechris(m): 10:41pm On Jan 08, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Better to be diversified by having multiple streams of income.

There is a popular saying on Wall Street that says " stocks make you rich but bond keeps you rich".

That is why Investments that give continuous residual income are very good eg real estate, dividend paying blue Chip stocks, bond, structured and well managed businesses.

My late grand mother died in 1997, but her property at Shipeolu St Shomolu Lagos still generates rental income of over N4 million, 23 years after her demise.

The rents collected are invested in stocks, bonds, money market funds,Invested in buying other properties, used to finance the post graduate studies of her grandchildren and equally created the seed capital which her grandchildren used in starting their businesses after graduation.

It is my prayer that we will also leave a lasting legacy for our loved ones and children.

Oh what a mother! Pray to be like u. I have equally purchase such a property for my unborn grand children close to Abuja airport.
I want to be celebrated by my own grand children. May her soul continue to rest in complete peace with God.

Amen!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zohan101: 12:36am On Jan 09, 2020
Hello sir, thanks for the info thus far.Please what is the minimun amount needed by Morgan Capital to start trading stocks via their platform??

ukay2:

morgancapitalgroup.com

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by deleson: 1:29am On Jan 09, 2020
InvestNow is owned by United Capital, a subsidiary of United Bank of Africa.

Trove, Bamboo and Rise are some new guys on the block.

Never tried any of them, as I am still doing personal findings.

Nigsrdumb:

What do you think of this new trading apps

Trove, you have access to us stocks there but I don't see most of the stock guys talking about it.

Another one is investnow.ng , they have a plethora of funds along with stock trading
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:32am On Jan 09, 2020
deleson:

Tested all of them, bamboo is the easiest to set up also the most technologically advanced, however no Nigerian stocks listed yet, it's also the easiest to top up, either with a foreign or local card.

Investnow has a robust platform with lots of investing options that makes it easy to buy eurobond, mmf, trust funds but it's clunky to register on it , the app has issues. No us stocks.

Trove has Nigerian and us stocks , easy to set up , simple interface but you have to upload kyc documents which isn't necessary with bamboo.
Topping up is also not as convenient.

I'm gunning for the bamboo app , hopefully they can add extra features in future.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 2:50am On Jan 09, 2020
Hello house.
It seems TBs have gone bust for now.
I'm looking at moving to Agritech (firms like thriveagric, crowdyest e.t.c) but they're relatively new, untested and not regulated. There are lots of them coming up and I fear they may crumble (we know how regulated sectors in Nigeria fare talk more of unregulated ones). Stocks are not my thing except I hand over to a stockbroker which I'm not keen on doing.

Anyone with experience /advise on the many upcoming agritech sites?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:29am On Jan 09, 2020
deleson:

Used to be a subsidiary of UBA, the company was spin-off by UBA and transferred the ownership to the shareholders of UBA, so that the bank can concentrate on core banking,.

Investment One was a subsidiary of GTB. GTB sold the ownership of the firm to the staff and management of the company. In order to face their core banking business.

The only banks with interest in other financial businesses apart from banking are Stanbic IBTC, First Bank and FCMB.

These banks have holding ownership structure, they have subsidiaries that are into Investment banking, asset management, stock broking, insurance, trustees , Pension fund management etc. Hence it takes a long time to audit their financial reports.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:37am On Jan 09, 2020
jedisco:
Hello house.
It seems TBs have gone bust for now.
I'm looking at moving to Agritech (firms like thriveagric, crowdyest e.t.c) but they're relatively new, untested and not regulated. There are lots of them coming up and I fear they don't crumble (we know how regulated sectorsin Nigeriafare talk moreof unregulated ones). Stocks is not my thing except I hand over to a stockbroker which I'm not keen on doing.

Anyone with experience /advise on the many upcoming agritech sites?

Not bad, but I have my reservations and can't invest in any until SEC starts regulating crowd funding in Nigeria.

If any of the big Investment houses like Stanbic IBTC Asset Management, FBN Asset Management, FCMB Asset Management, Investment One financial services, United Capital should promote any agricbusiness I will invest with them they must done their home work on profitability and sustainability. They have billions of naira under management. United Capital is managing fund to the tune of over N100 billion, Stanbic IBTC Asset Management is even bigger.

I know I can get back my money if the investment did not go as projected

I don't know if we are familiar with the story of a smart but dubious student of Obafemi Awolowo University who raised close to N2 billion through crowd funding from investors which he promised mouth watering monthly returns although he paid for some months this made the investors to invest more money and also invited more people into the investment scheme due to the referral incentives he introduced to the scheme. At the end of the day he eloped with investors' money valued at N1.8 billion this happened more than 7 years ago

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sach: 6:35am On Jan 09, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
one senior lawyer was using some part before.....

Yes. Aelex law firm is still occupying the premises.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sach: 7:52am On Jan 09, 2020
X21:

findings from my discussion with stock broking firm reveals some special features of this bond offer
interest will not be paid in the next 24 months (moratorium period)
principal will be amortised and paid over 8 years along with interest
no lumpsum payment of principal at maturity

Thanks for this!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 9:14am On Jan 09, 2020
DigitalMallam:

You said it as it is.
Dangote has govt policies protecting him - more or less creating a monopoly, the case with ibeto is still very fresh in our mind.

For his refinery he's getting $ from CBN at a ridiculous rate, while others in real economy are ask to source from black mkt or N363.

On daily basis, you see FG delegation from VP, to the entire senate and house of rep or even governors forum visiting the site while our national refinery has been left moribund for ages (is the eko refinery a national asset?).

The truth is that Dangota can't do well in an ideal economy. Right now he's having difficulties in Ethiopia and in a complete mess in Zambia where his cement are found to be below standards and has failed all the stress test. But in Nigeria he's a sacred cow no one dares to touch. His trucks creating nuisance on our roads (no thanks to our leaders that allows just one functional port in a country that is import dependent).

For those thinking his refinery will bring succor to our ailing economy should beter have a rethink coz his cement didn't do any better, same product in Ghana sells for half the price in Nigeria.

Nice thoughts

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mikylon(m): 9:30am On Jan 09, 2020
FGN BOND is the way forward now ooo. Just that the tenors are to long.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1036) (1037) (1038) (1039) (1040) (1041) (1042) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.