Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (320) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4435965 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) ... (2228) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jun 26, 2017
ezeonlinebiz:

Answers:
1)
http://www.investopedia.com/university/moneymarket/moneymarket2.asp

2)
I Bank with GTB too but I use STANBIC for treasured bills because at the moment, their rates are higher.

If you are going for a 90 day tenure, I'd suggest you go with STABIC secondary market. I got mine a few days ago for 17.5% as opposed to primary's 13.7%.
Note: You MUST first open an account with them.
3)
Any branch.
4)
Mine was sent to my email. So yes they do. That's for STANBIC though.

5)
Walk into any branch of the bank, deposit the money into your account (savings or current), walk upto the customer care unit, tell them you want to register for treasury bills, fill the form they give you, and the money will be deducted from the account you specified in the form.

6)
There is something called face value: It is the money you want to invest.
There is another known as discounted value: it is the money debited from your accounted leaving the interest value.
Say you want to invest 1m as the face value with 17.5 interest rate for 90 days. The discounted value would be about N952k or there about. Leaving about 48k in your account. That 48k is the interest.

At maturity, the face value will be credited back to your account. It may take few days for that to happen. You don't have to meet the bank.

I hop this helps. Now give me my consultation fee. grin

Thanks brother you've been a lot of help. But bro I think the calculation in (6) is wrong. Pls verify/rectify.
Cc bigbroda
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:40pm On Jun 26, 2017
bablowizad:
Yes exactly... You must the one who came to close out some of your bills to go invest in stocks....

Yes, I still have some that will mature next year.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 10:44pm On Jun 26, 2017
Henryyy:

Thanks brother you've been a lot of help. But bro I think the calculation in (6) is wrong. Pls verify/rectify.
Cc bigbroda

Yes. I think he was simply trying to give an example. Actual upfront interest on 1m at 17.5% for 90.days is N43,150.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ezeonlinebiz(m): 10:56pm On Jun 26, 2017
Henryyy:

Cc bigbroda

I was only trying to give an example.

Below is the breakdown.

17.5% of 1M is 0.175 * 1000000 = 175000

The 175000 is for one year. You are going for 90 days not 1 year.

Now let's get that of 90 days.

We have 12 months in a year. So 90 days are about 3 months.

Therefore, 175000 is for 12 months. 3 months would be 175000/4 = 43750

Remember we have 3 * 4 months is one full year.

I have tried to make it as simple as possible.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 10:58pm On Jun 26, 2017
Gazelle22:

I weighed every other option, along with what I want from investment, the products and services of that company appears to be what I need.

First, their minimum for T-Bills is 100k.

Secondly, they give you the option of collecting your interest backend (at the end of the tenure), as opposed to upfront presently at the rate of 22% reflecting the true value.

They send soft copy of your investment letter to your email after every successful bidding.

There is also an optional online portal where you view all your investment, face value, discounted value, daily interest accumulation, total interest so far, and maturity date for each of the investment. With that, I properly organize my finances.

Your account officer takes call anytime.

Those are just some of the reasons I do business with them.

I must make it clear that I gained most of my investment ideas here. I started here and have been here. FBNQUEST and Renmoney are also some other companies I do business with.

Hope this helps. I am only giving back to the forum that gave me a head start.

For investment-one, you may contact an account officer in their private banking department on 08129921106 (Olutayo). You may tell him Gazelle directed you.

excellent review. thanks very much!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:52am On Jun 27, 2017
Investnow2017:

Yes. I think he was simply trying to give an example. Actual upfront interest on 1m at 17.5% for 90.days is N43,150.
ezeonlinebiz:

I was only trying to give an example.

Below is the breakdown.

17.5% of 1M is 0.175 * 1000000 = 175000

The 175000 is for one year. You are going for 90 days not 1 year.

Now let's get that of 90 days.

We have 12 months in a year. So 90 days are about 3 months.

Therefore, 175000 is for 12 months. 3 months would be 175000/4 = 43750

Remember we have 3 * 4 months is one full year.

I have tried to make it as simple as possible.
Okay thanks guys. Bless!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Uzee24: 7:11am On Jun 27, 2017
Gazelle22:

I was reliably informed by my account officer at investment-one financial services that auction do not hold on the last week of any quarter. The government therefore usually auction it on the week before the last week of the quarter.

Wow...there seem to be some sense in this going by CBN schedule, but its rather unfortunate that most of this banks dont have this information and this has cost investors greatly. I almost got into an arguement with a Staff at First bank who was assertively telling me there will be no auction on 22nd.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:39am On Jun 27, 2017
ezeonlinebiz:

Answers:
1)

2)
I Bank with GTB too but I use STANBIC for treasured bills because at the moment, their rates are higher.

If you are going for a 90 day tenure, I'd suggest you go with STABIC secondary market. I got mine a few days ago for 17.5% as opposed to primary's 13.7%.
3)
Any branch.
4)

5)
Walk into any branch of the bank, deposit the money into your account (savings or current), walk upto the customer care unit, tell them you want to register for treasury bills, fill the form they give you, and the money will be deducted from the account you specified in the form.

6)
There is another known as discounted value: it is the money debited from your accounted leaving the interest value.
Say you want to invest 1m as the face value with 17.5 interest rate for 90 days. The discounted value would be about N952k or there about. Leaving about 48k in your account. That 48k is the interest.

At maturity, the face value will be credited back to your account. It may take few days for that to happen. You don't have to meet the bank.

Thanks so much bro! One bottle of orijin 4 u!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by INFOTECH2: 12:37pm On Jun 27, 2017
feelamong:

I think you should open a seperate thread for this Cryptos Investment.

I know the coy you deal with and am currently heavily invested there and can attest to the daily 1% earnings in Bitcoins..

I invested 500k in Feb just for trials whne Bitcoins was around $1030.

I just took some of my earnings out yesterday and sincerely I could not believe the figures when it got converted to Naira!

The increase in the price of bitcoins to 1,600 yesterday made my earnings INCREDIBLE!! close to N300K. yet i still have my principal still working out there for me.

What is the company name
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 12:39pm On Jun 27, 2017
INFOTECH2:

What is the company name

Send me pm...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by slimjoe007(m): 3:35pm On Jun 27, 2017
feelamong:

Send me pm...

Oga Feelamong, I sent you a mail to the gmail attached to your email sometime back asking for info on this cryptos. Can I also know the name of the imvestment platform .Can I send you a PM?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by amjustme2: 3:59pm On Jun 27, 2017
Lol. Na now ur eye open. It's good sha.

No one is late. Go for it.

INFOTECH2:

What is the company name
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by gogedda: 5:41pm On Jun 27, 2017
Quick one bro, are you saying if you decide not to collect your interest upront, the company will give an interest of 22% as against the upront interest given for the regular 17.5% that Stanbic give for 90 days secondary market..?

Gazelle22:

I weighed every other option, along with what I want from investment, the products and services of that company appears to be what I need.

Secondly, they give you the option of collecting your interest backend (at the end of the tenure), as opposed to upfront presently at the rate of 22% reflecting the true value.

They send soft copy of your investment letter to your email after every successful bidding.

There is also an optional online portal where you view all your investment, face value, discounted value, daily interest accumulation, total interest so far, and maturity date for each of the investment. With that, I properly organize my finances.

I must make it clear that I gained most of my investment ideas here. I started here and have been here. FBNQUEST and Renmoney are also some other companies I do business with.

For investment-one, you may contact an account officer in their private banking department on 08129921106 (Olutayo). You may tell him Gazelle directed you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by amjustme2: 6:00pm On Jun 27, 2017
http://punchng.com/fg-loses-n131-8bn-as-oil-production-drops-again
According to this report from Punch yesterday,

The total volume of crude oil produced in Nigeria has been reducing since January this year, leading to a cumulative loss of about N131.8bn, an analysis of various reports from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation has shown.

After increasing to 1.84 million barrels per day in January this year, from 1.58mb/d that was recorded in December 2016, the country’s crude production commenced a descent and closed at 1.82mb/d and 1.59mb/d in February and March 2017, respectively.
Figures in four financial and operations monthly reports of the NNPC from January to April 2017 showed that Nigeria’s total volume of crude and condensate lifting and utilisation dropped by 3.55 million barrels between January and March this year.

The corporation put the value of this drop at $431m or N131.8bn, using the official exchange rate of N305.85 to a dollar.

It stated that in January 2017, crude oil production in Nigeria increased to 1.84mb/d, which was 16.51 per cent increase relative to the December 2016 production, although it lagged behind the January 2016 performance by 14.52 per cent.

This drop in production is not good for this country. Imagine FG is turning to recovered looted funds to finance the budget. Servicing loans is still putting pressure in our economy as well due to short fall in revenue. FG is more serious now about tax, as oil production and drop in price is bad for our economy. This was supposed to be taken seriously before, how did we get here? Oil money veiled out sight.

The relaunched N-Power Program shows government is serious about tax recovery as the program also aim to train Graduates on taxation and orient them to serve as agents. I strongly feel this if sustained would be a good thing. In the meantime, it seems FG have to keep borrowing to service loans and run this country.

In my opinion, Treasury Bills will continue to be lucrative in the meantime until this recession is over. If you have unused funds, invest and go for longer tenors and compound your interest if possible. No one likes this recession and its actually not our own faults. But lets make this money while this thing last, after all people become billionaires during war time.

==I'm only thinking out==

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 6:38pm On Jun 27, 2017
ezeonlinebiz:

Answers:
1)

2)

3)
Any branch.
4)

5)

6)

it may take few days to be credited to your account after the Maturity date..?
I thought is that same day.?
please explain bro...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 7:40pm On Jun 27, 2017
amjustme2:
http://punchng.com/fg-loses-n131-8bn-as-oil-production-drops-again
According to this report from Punch yesterday,

The total volume of crude oil produced in Nigeria has been reducing since January this year, leading to a cumulative loss of about N131.8bn, an analysis of various reports from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation has shown.

After increasing to 1.84 million barrels per day in January this year, from 1.58mb/d that was recorded in December 2016, the country’s crude production commenced a descent and closed at 1.82mb/d and 1.59mb/d in February and March 2017, respectively.
Figures in four financial and operations monthly reports of the NNPC from January to April 2017 showed that Nigeria’s total volume of crude and condensate lifting and utilisation dropped by 3.55 million barrels between January and March this year.

The corporation put the value of this drop at $431m or N131.8bn, using the official exchange rate of N305.85 to a dollar.

It stated that in January 2017, crude oil production in Nigeria increased to 1.84mb/d, which was 16.51 per cent increase relative to the December 2016 production, although it lagged behind the January 2016 performance by 14.52 per cent.

This drop in production is not good for this country. Imagine FG is turning to recovered looted funds to finance the budget. Servicing loans is still putting pressure in our economy as well due to short fall in revenue. FG is more serious now about tax, as oil production and drop in price is bad for our economy. This was supposed to be taken seriously before, how did we get here? Oil money veiled out sight.

The relaunched N-Power Program shows government is serious about tax recovery as the program also aim to train Graduates on taxation and orient them to serve as agents. I strongly feel this if sustained would be a good thing. In the meantime, it seems FG have to keep borrowing to service loans and run this country.

In my opinion, Treasury Bills will continue to be lucrative in the meantime until this recession is over. If you have unused funds, invest and go for longer tenors and compound your interest if possible. No one likes this recession and its actually not our own faults. But lets make this money while this thing last, after all people become billionaires during war time.

==I'm only thinking out==

Nice write up........Am in all the way for as long as it last
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gazelle22: 8:11pm On Jun 27, 2017
gogedda:
Quick one bro, are you saying if you decide not to collect your interest upront, the company will give an interest of 22% as against the upront interest given for the regular 17.5% that Stanbic give for 90 days secondary market..?

You are right. That is what I get from them. I have checked on other companies, ARM inclusive, but none agree to give such. Just reach Olutayo or call the customer care line on their website for more information.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by elog(m): 11:13pm On Jun 27, 2017
Please send me your email, I have some questions.
Gazelle22:

You are right. That is what I get from them. I have checked on other companies, ARM inclusive, but none agree to give such. Just reach Olutayo or call the customer care line on their website for more information.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 11:27pm On Jun 27, 2017
elog:
Please send me your email, I have some questions.
Scam Alert. .
Please, if you want to subscribe for Treasury bills ,go to the Bank yourself. ....
this is a very peaceful thread. .
Scams go Away..

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by joseph1013: 7:36am On Jun 28, 2017
Gazelle22:

But really, how safe is getting treasury bills from Investment One as opposed to banks like STANBICIBTC?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by amjustme2: 7:52am On Jun 28, 2017
As long as the Investment House is on DMO accredited TBILLS List, then you are safe. DMO Accredited List is on their Official Website.

Next thing could be interest rates, and other charges.

If you are investing with NON- BANK Financial House, please ask to know everything- transaction fee, custodian fee, tax and ensure you are comfortable before subscribing. Don't allow the agent to decide for you.

joseph1013:

But really, how safe is getting treasury bills from Investment One as opposed to banks like STANBICIBTC?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by joseph1013: 8:22am On Jun 28, 2017
amjustme2:
As long as the Investment House is on DMO accredited TBILLS List, then you are safe. DMO Accredited List is on their Official Website.

Next thing could be interest rates, and other charges.

If you are investing with NON- BANK Financial House, please ask to know everything- transaction fee, custodian fee, tax and ensure you are comfortable before subscribing. Don't allow the agent to decide for you.

Hmmm...can anyone here using Investment One confirm if it's better rate and commission wise to get TB through them than banks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bigW(m): 12:07pm On Jun 28, 2017
Gazelle22:

I just came out of investment one and no said anything about 22% how did u get that interest rate?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gazelle22: 8:51pm On Jun 28, 2017
bigW:

I just came out of investment one and no said anything about 22% how did u get that interest rate?

Unfortunately, you refused to follow my guidelines. I am not sure if you demanded for their backend rate.

Most importantly, did you demand to see either the head or an account officer in the private banking unit, especially Mr Olutayo, whom I dropped his official number here?

Some information are not available to just any staff, just as not all bankers are knowledgeable about Treasury Bills.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gazelle22: 9:10pm On Jun 28, 2017
Gavrelino123:

Scam Alert. .
Please, if you want to subscribe for Treasury bills ,go to the Bank yourself. ....
this is a very peaceful thread. .
Scams go Away..

No doubt scammers are not resting, but it is usually easy to detect. We must limit crying wolf. I kept this to myself for sometimes now, but it appears selfish. By the way, what is the big deal about 22%? That rate still represents true yield. If you invest a 100k for instance, and get about 18k upfront, and you reinvest it, it is still equivalent to the 22%.

For the records, I directed people to the company, not myself. Investment-one too as a company is a former asset management Subsidiary of GtBank, accredited by CBN and its products and services certified by SEC. I see no SCAM here.

There will only be fear when temptation of transacting with individuals via private accounts creeps in.

I was tempted to attach a copy of one of my investment letters here, and a screenshot of my online portal, but it will appear childish and a bit risky too. People will also freely term me an agent of the company.

We must do our best to stop discouraging people who may be willing to share their sincere investment experiences that could change lives. I earlier admitted my basic investment knowledge was built here before I engaged by creativity and initiative to action.

We know scammers when they come!

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yak(m): 8:26am On Jun 29, 2017
feelamong:

Send me pm...

y not open a thread on crypto and share info. all of us shld not b disturbing you on pm
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelaaG: 9:24am On Jun 29, 2017
yak:

y not open a thread on crypto and share info. all of us shld not b disturbing you on pm

Already a thread...

https://www.nairaland.com/3657807/bitcoins-all-bitcoins-investment-bitcoin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelaaG: 9:25am On Jun 29, 2017
slimjoe007:

Oga Feelamong, I sent you a mail to the gmail attached to your email sometime back asking for info on this cryptos. Can I also know the name of the imvestment platform .Can I send you a PM?

yea... send a pm
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cutiereborn(f): 9:43am On Jun 29, 2017
Good morning guys. I have been a silent follower of this thread for a while. Very informative. Kudos to all.
My question, I went first bank to invest since I bank with them and was told the next bid is in 2weeks time. How true is this as the lady Suggested I use fixed deposit instead of allowing the funds to lay idle.
Please when is the next bid and how soon can I approach the bank to invest as the funds is lying idle on my account.
Thanks guys.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 10:36am On Jun 29, 2017
cutiereborn:
Good morning guys. I have been a silent follower of this thread for a while. Very informative. Kudos to all.
My question, I went first bank to invest since I bank with them and was told the next bid is in 2weeks time. How true is this as the lady Suggested I use fixed deposit instead of allowing the funds to lay idle.
Please when is the next bid and how soon can I approach the bank to invest as the funds is lying idle on my account.
Thanks guys.

The next auction should be on the 5th/6th of July which is next week. Since you are silent follower you would have just screengrab/screenshot the TB 3rd calendar when someone posted it some days back. Since you use First Bank, You will have to put in your request today or tomorrow before next week if not on Monday you will be told it's already late. Do not pay attention to the lady telling you to go for their Fixed Deposit it is for her own personal benefit.

You can also request to purchase from their secondary market if they have. Depending on the city you are and branch convenient for you. Some of their staff will tell you different stories to make you go for fixed why some others are just plain clueless. If you are in Abuja Check Asokoro,Kumasi House,Bannex, shippers plaza branch Zone 5 and Kubwa branch. Those are the branches that I have successfully death with. Wuse Market and Gwarimpa branch are those I tried but were clueless on it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cutiereborn(f): 10:43am On Jun 29, 2017
freeman67:

The next auction should be on the 5th/6th of July which is next week. Since you are silent follower you would have just screengrab/screenshot the TB 3rd calendar when someone posted it some days back. Since you use First Bank, You will have to put in your request today or tomorrow before next week if not on Monday you will be told it's already late. Do not pay attention to the lady telling you to go for their Fixed Deposit it is for her own personal benefit.

You can also request to purchase from their secondary market if they have. Depending on the city you are and branch convenient for you. Some of their staff will tell you different stories to make you go for fixed why some others are just plain clueless. If you are in Abuja Check Asokoro,Kumasi House,Bannex, shippers plaza branch Zone 5 and Kubwa branch. Those are the branches that I have successfully death with. Wuse Market and Gwarimpa branch are those I tried but were clueless on it.
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I stay in port Harcourt. Will get to another branch today and make proper enquiries.

(1) (2) (3) ... (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) ... (2228) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Batman2412(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.