Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,805 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (690) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4431813 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (687) (688) (689) (690) (691) (692) (693) ... (2228) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 11:03am On Feb 04, 2019
87days- 10.85
255days-13.90
339days-14.15.

It's not looking good.

Just2endowed2:
someone help me with stanbic rate this mornin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Plus10(m): 1:14pm On Feb 04, 2019
Please house when is the next primary auction?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by manlikegb: 1:19pm On Feb 04, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
I tired I chat them up they keep sending me back to account officer

@ahiboilandgas Pls how did you resolve this matter? I'm having an issue with gtb too and I think I might need to take it up. Did you have to call their head office or something?

I gave a clear instruction for TBills last Friday(Feb 1st) that I want the interest to be invested alongside the principal. But no, they only deducted the discounted value and left the interest in my account. Now they're saying they can re-invest the interest for me but I don't want that. There's a reason I want this to be in a SINGLE investment and reinvesting the interest separately is unacceptable to me. Please how can I address this matter?

Let me add that I suggested that they liquidate it and do a fresh TB for me today but they(at d branch TB was done) said that due to custodian charges, i will lose some money from my principal. Like my original amount won't be complete. I'm not understanding this people o. Please help me.

Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 1:39pm On Feb 04, 2019
manlikegb:

@ahiboilandgas Pls how did you resolve this matter? I'm having an issue with gtb too and I think I might need to take it up. Did you have to call their head office or something?

I gave a clear instruction for TBills last Friday(Feb 1st) that I want the interest to be invested alongside the principal. But no, they only deducted the discounted value and left the interest in my account. Now they're saying they can re-invest the interest for me but I don't want that. There's a reason I want this to be in a SINGLE investment and reinvesting the interest separately is unacceptable to me. Please how can I address this matter?

Let me add that I suggested that they liquidate it and do a fresh TB for me today but they(at d branch TB was done) said that due to custodian charges, i will lose some money from my principal. Like my original amount won't be complete. I'm not understanding this people o. Please help me.

Thanks.
am yet to go to the bank ,they have been behaving strangely ....i will go to bank tommorow to blast the idoits
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by manlikegb: 2:01pm On Feb 04, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
am yet to go to the bank ,they have been behaving strangely ....i will go to bank tommorow to blast the idoits

Ok, please give me an update on how it goes. I am still trying to iron this one out over the phone as well, I will give them till the end of work today and if they don't resolve it, I will cal gtconnect.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 2:05pm On Feb 04, 2019
freeman67:

Yes first bank allows reinvestment of interest with principal/capital when applying.. I think for GT what you have to do is to calculate what should be your interest if the percentage is known then add it to the face value and use that figure to apply for the investment. That way, what is supposed to be dropped as interest for you would no longer be dropped because it has been reinvested.
Good day @Freeman,
Does this method really works with GTBANK...?
Remember your interest will be calculated and other charges will be deducted based on your instructions and amount you invested...
Make it clear,how can this be done?....because I'm very much interested..

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 2:20pm On Feb 04, 2019
manlikegb:

Ok, please give me an update on how it goes. I am still trying to iron this one out over the phone as well, I will give them till the end of work today and if they don't resolve it, I will cal gtconnect.
GTCONNECT will still refer you to your account officers when it comes to treasury bills....
In investments,they only handle fixed deposits,call deposits and strict deposits investments queries which they claim is within the banks jurisdiction.
You have to visit your branch personally...
Hence,Request to see the head of Advantium_Banking Group or the manager......Make your complains to them directly...they will querry you account officers.
**NB** You have to be very ready because once you provide evidence of your account officers incompetence,they will be sacked..
If they i don't get debited on February 14th next(Primary Markets Auction).....they leave me no choice.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 3:27pm On Feb 04, 2019
Gavrelino123:

Good day @Freeman,
Does this method really works with GTBANK...?
Remember your interest will be calculated and other charges will be deducted based on your instructions and amount you invested...
Make it clear,how can this be done?....because I'm very much interested..

Back then I wanted to invest both principal and interest but I was told in that branch that they don't do it. So I asked the marketer if it was possible I do it than way and he said yes. I did that like twice back then before I started concentrating on First Bank and Stanbic and there were successful..

To be more explicit I will use numbers..

Assuming I want to invest N100,000 for 364 day at 15%. Before charges are taken my interest is N15,000 So In my form or request/letter I will write to invest N115,000 instead of the N100,000 that I intend invest. What then happens is that instead of them to deduct N85,000 as the discount value, they will deduct N100,000 then at maturity you would be credited with the about N117250.

For the charges I actually had some loose change(not part of what I intended to invest) in my account then that it was taken from. But I believe if you don't want it that way, you can't ask them for the charges and factor it into your calculations.

Before I even asked, I studied the pattern of how the various banks I use deduct money from my account whenever I apply. In First Bank even if I am applying for an auction that is due to take place in 10 days time, once I apply and my application is treated/considered my money will be taken out of your reach. I will either get my whole money back if unsuccessful or my interest back if successful ( or nothing significant back in my account if I request for reinvestment of interest) after settlement. For Stanbic, I will be seeing my money till the auction time then said amount (face value) I intend to invest is deducted and all after the interest is refunded back to my account. For GT my money is left till auction is successful then the discount rate is deducted. GT does not deduct the whole investment sum first before returning my interest. They only take what's for them and leave mine there for me unlike other banks that will take all first before returning my own.

I hope this explains it better.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 4:41pm On Feb 04, 2019
freeman67:

Back then I wanted to invest both principal and interest but I was told in that branch that they don't do it. So I asked the marketer if it was possible I do it than way and he said yes. I did that like twice back then before I started concentrating on First Bank and Stanbic and there were successful..

Assuming I want to invest N100,000 for 364 day at 15%. Before charges are taken my interest is N15,000 So In my form or request/letter I will write to invest N115,000 instead of the N100,000 that I intend invest. What then happens is that instead of them to deduct N85,000 as the discount value, they will deduct N100,000 then at maturity you would be credited with the about N117250.

For the charges I actually had some loose change(not part of what I intended to invest) in my account then that it was taken from. But I believe if you don't want it that way, you can't ask them for the charges and factor it into your calculations.

Before I even asked, I studied the pattern of how the various banks I use deduct money from my account whenever I apply. In First Bank even if I am applying for an auction that is due to take place in 10 days time, once I apply and my application is treated/considered my money will be taken out of your reach. I will either get my whole money back if unsuccessful or my interest back if successful ( or nothing significant back in my account if I request for reinvestment of interest) after settlement. For Stanbic, I will be seeing my money till the auction time then said amount (face value) I intend to invest is deducted and all after the interest is refunded back to my account. For GT my money is left till auction is successful then the discount rate is deducted. GT does not deduct the whole investment sum first before returning my interest. They only take what's for them and leave mine there for me unlike other banks that will take all first before returning my own.

God bless you brother.
I plan investing 1.4m.....
Thus,15% of 1.4m=210,000
My real plan is to invest 1.5m(100k from my interest)
Then leave the 110k balance.
Kindly guide me on how to go about this.
Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 04, 2019
Just because I learnt TBills here, am on compulsion to say the little I know pending verification by gurus. Firstly, always try to read previous pages so we don't get repeated pages here. I personally used 6 months to read before investing. Secondly, I realized that the way some of us approached the bankers too ain't civil. If we are reporting to this house and elements of ill characters can be traced then the physical approach was worst(reason am not quoting anybody) . We are all humans. Back to some questions I remember, you can't reinvest part of your interest as compound interest, u can get the interest and reinvest what you wish. Discrepancy on instructions could be solved by physically filling out the form, error is humans. Not carrying out instructions is different but carrying out to some extent shouldn't call for people's job because that is all reporting will cause. Overall take home is that am not a banker but I feel the heat tbillers will add to The banking stress. Bankers and investors unification project.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Homextras: 6:35pm On Feb 04, 2019
TotoNaRubber:
87days- 10.85
255days-13.90
339days-14.15.

It's not looking good.

This is not bad o...if you are playing with huge funds, you will see the difference...

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Infinitisi(m): 7:15pm On Feb 04, 2019
For those who keep asking for help in calculating their interest this link will be useful for you. Just input the necessary figures and it calculates your interest for you.

Still doesn't stop you from learning the way it is calculated. It is actually quite easy.

https://app.nairametrics.com/treasury_bill

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Pharmtj: 8:01pm On Feb 04, 2019
Infinitisi:
For those who keep asking for help in calculating their interest this link will be useful for you. Just input the necessary figures and it calculates your interest for you.

Still doesn't stop you from learning the way it is calculated. It is actually quite easy.

https://app.nairametrics.com/treasury_bill
thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by silentone: 9:08pm On Feb 04, 2019
Thanks a lot.
freeman67:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 9:10pm On Feb 04, 2019
freeman67:

@bolded,I actually tried doing it this last auction, but was told it wasn't possible. Though in my case I wanted to invest the entire account balance so that by the time they withdraw the principal, it will zero balance or close to it.

Was told it wasn't possible, that the full money must be in my account. I just resignedly told them and deduct just d discount as they usually do, and I'll reinvest at next auction.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 9:13pm On Feb 04, 2019
TotoNaRubber:
87days- 10.85
255days-13.90
339days-14.15.

It's not looking good.

Really? It's actually very close to the primary rates. . .it think it's quite okay
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 234ng44uk(m): 10:03pm On Feb 04, 2019
Gavrelino123:

God bless you brother.
I plan investing 1.4m.....
Thus,15% of 1.4m=210,000
My real plan is to invest 1.5m(100k from my interest)
Then leave the 110k balance.
Kindly guide me on how to go about this.
Thanks.

From @Freeman67 explanation, you'll need to request to invest precisely 1,400,000/0.85=1,647,058.82. However, I still doubt if this is possible.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 234ng44uk(m): 10:10pm On Feb 04, 2019
alezzy13:

@bolded,I actually tried doing it this last auction, but was told it wasn't possible. Though in my case I wanted to invest the entire account balance so that by the time they withdraw the principal, it will zero balance or close to it.

Was told it wasn't possible, that the full money must be in my account. I just resignedly told them and deduct just d discount as they usually do, and I'll reinvest at next auction.

Which bank was that please? Freeman67 did it successfully at First and Stanbic.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by UNIXLover(m): 2:32am On Feb 05, 2019
Hello guys, am new to treasury bill, whats the best way to buy T-Bill? I currently operate Access and GTB .Thank you
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 8:35am On Feb 05, 2019
234ng44uk:

Stanbic ??. Maybe they have changed their process or the TB guy that did it for him is not experienced. Stabic normally places a hold of the amount you filled in your form. If your account balance is not up to the amount you filled and a hold of such an amount is placed, it means your available balance is negative. Make Internal Control catch such staff.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 8:45am On Feb 05, 2019
234ng44uk:

GTB..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 8:56am On Feb 05, 2019
alezzy13:

OK, though it been a while I used GT again. I had to suspend using them when I desperately needed to lock down back then and their bid wasn't successful. Even when I tried to use them again of recent when someone posted some good rates for secondary market here I got to the bank the next business and was told they have not been advised. So I had to transfer my money to Stanbic. As for reinvesting interest with capital, out the 5 banks I have used for TB the only bank that gladly accepts it is FirstBank.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 8:57am On Feb 05, 2019
NL1960:

Stanbic ??. Maybe they have changed their process or the TB guy that did it for him is not experienced. Stabic normally places a hold of the amount you filled in your form. If your account balance is not up to the amount you filled and a hold of such an amount is placed, it means your available balance is negative. Make Internal Control catch such staff.

No not Stanbic it's GTB said.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 9:47am On Feb 05, 2019
234ng44uk:

It was GTB.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 9:54am On Feb 05, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 10:03am On Feb 05, 2019
freeman67:

OK, though it been a while I used GT again. I had to suspend using them when I desperately needed to lock down back then and their bid wasn't successful. Even when I tried to use them again of recent when someone posted some good rates for secondary market here I got to the bank the next business and was told they have not been advised. So I had to transfer my money to Stanbic. As for reinvesting interest with capital, out the 5 banks I have used for TB the only bank that gladly accepts it is FirstBank.

I see, thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 10:11am On Feb 05, 2019
dipoolowoo:
9-Month T-Bills Yield Shed 1.16% to Settle at 15.44%
https://businesspost.ng/2019/02/05/9-month-t-bills-yield-shed-1-16-to-settle-at-15-44/

Na wa O! shocked

Egbon wetin dey happen na? The expectations were that rates would rise given the heavy spending that usually characterize this season, moreover the budget needs to be funded given the high deficit (min wage increase, etc) but e be like say CBN thinks otherwise. . . angry
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 10:39am On Feb 05, 2019
while we are talking about Politics....Some FPIs sneaked into Naija and invested heavily in our Treasury Bills and Bonds last week.

I expect the yields to keep dropping as the elections approach and after elections.

The time to move in is NOW!

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mymadam(m): 10:58am On Feb 05, 2019
feelamong:
while we are talking about Politics....Some FPIs sneaked into Naija and invested heavily in our Treasury Bills and Bonds last week.

I expect the yields to keep dropping as the elections approach and after elections.

The time to move in is NOW!
The Oracle has spoken.

Over to you folks smiley
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 11:08am On Feb 05, 2019
shgenius123:
STOP CARRYING CV UP & DOWN THIS YEAR!
If u cant find a JOB start RAGP TELECOM VTU BUSINESS & Earn Per Seconds/Minutes. AskMeHow
0eight0 two 7 three 62943
stop trying to scam people down and up repent b4 efcc strike u

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CompareDBest: 12:40pm On Feb 05, 2019
wisdom77:
Please who knows the next auction for Zenith Bank.
Same date for every bank; should be Wednesday, 13th February. Best to submit Monday preferably, but before 1pm Tuesday.

However, if you are interested in Secondary Market, you can walk into a branch with a minimum of =N=1million and invest in TBills same day. The rates they had yesterday ranged from 8.5% for 73 days to 14% for 353 or 360 days.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (687) (688) (689) (690) (691) (692) (693) ... (2228) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.