Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,932 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan (71608 Views)

Chatting Apps that Required No Wifi Internet & No Data Plan / Etisalat Daily Facebook Subscription Plan, How To Opt Out (solved) / MTN Nigeria GPRS [Includes Configuration Settings] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by newmaonza: 7:22pm On Apr 04, 2012
speedyboi:
That's because mtn is for the rich nd big people in the society not jobless nairalanders. Those that use mtn don't have time for comments. Samething applies to Dstv..... Please Guys don't take my contribution hard on yourselfs...its just the truth
4 ur mind u r rich using mtn and using DSTV. . .
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by czay(m): 7:57pm On Apr 04, 2012
Can you imagine after subscribing for the 2h simple surf, no confirmation message was sent to me. Moreover, I was unable to use it after which I called there foolish, inactive customer service agent thereby telling me that my data bundle has expired...in a nutshell I was unable to use the crappy simple surf after subscribing..*painful
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by ziccoit: 8:16pm On Apr 04, 2012
speedyboi:
That's because mtn is for the rich nd big people in the society not jobless nairalanders. Those that use mtn don't have time for comments. Samething applies to Dstv..... Please Guys don't take my contribution hard on yourselfs...its just the truth

According to which study carry out by who?
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by Saipro(m): 8:43pm On Apr 04, 2012
I have about N1,000 on my MTN. This comes from recharging N100 every few months. It's for receiving calls only. I'm on their network but not really a 'functional' patron.
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by Nobody: 9:08pm On Apr 04, 2012
new maonza: 4 ur mind u r rich using mtn and using DSTV. . .
I didn't say I was using mtn and Dstv, did I? And I also didn't say otherwise......pls don't insinuate what I didn't say.......
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by Edjimor4(m): 11:18pm On Apr 04, 2012
No wise guy should fall for this mtn crap. They are looking for people to frustrate. It is the worst internet service provider in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by gmcbiz(m): 12:13am On Apr 05, 2012
Do you need an affordable high-speed internet connection for your computers?
Are you tired of paying exorbitantly for internet access?
Your one stop solution is here
This is the latest gig in town now, i and many other Nigerians have been using this service since last year and it still rocks with high speed till tomorrow.
its a proxy software called H.H.T w.e.b t.u.n.nel, this software works on etisalat sim.
Once this software is installed and properly configured on your computer you can use it to browse at an amazing speed.
Just choose from any of the subscription plans that you wish and you will be given access to browse the net at an incredible broadband speed like you have never experienced before!!!

No hassles! No Downtimes!, Unlimited Downloads!, Download speed up to 250kbps!, Affordable subscription plans!

****Available subscription plans are as follows*****

* 8GB DATA - N1,000 monthly

* 18GB DATA - N1,500 monthly

* Unlimited plan - N2,500 monthly

Experience the amazing speed of the H.H.T w.e.b T.u.nnel.

NB; You need an internet modem first to use this network service .

Installation fee; N3,500 (Bonus of . f.r.e.e. 8GB monthly data for trial)

Seeing is believing, one on one installation available anywhere within lagos, which means if it doesn't work then don't pay, simple as that!

Contact
Email: greatmindsng@gmail.com
Phone: 080-333-283-64
Lagos
Nigeria
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by KunleA2(m): 7:14am On Apr 05, 2012
[size=14pt]MTN Simple Surf: My story[/size]

[b]I live in California and was in Nigeria last year for about 9 months on business trip. Left in December and came back in March this year. I am saying that to let you know that i have something to compare Nigeria network to.

I revolve between ibadan (Oyo) Lagos and Ijebu Ode (Ogun State). My business depends mostly on the internet stuff. i buy and bid (live) for cars online.

So data cap and speed is very crucial to me. I have tried mostly all available networks: Glo, Multilinks, Etisalat, Starcomms, etc.

Different ones are good in different areas. Multilinks is better (then) in Ogun. Starcomms in Lagos/ibadan and Etisalat.

The issue i have with Etisalat when i came back this March is the data limit. i went thru 250mb (N1,000) in few hrs nightly.

I tried the Simple surf and its has been great in ALL my areas. Ogun, Oyo and Lagos.

I have even watched video online and make calls to the US over the net (especially late at night) from my flat in Ibadan. If there is a problem or a cap on the simple surf, i am yet to see it. There have been slow connections sometimes and just yesterday, the connection kept logging off everytime i log on. i just took out my multilinks modem and finish the job. Hours later, its fine

i can only call it like i see it. i have no loyalty to any network but the one that's good to me.

By the way, i use glo for all my calls cos they charge N9/min to call the US. MTN charges a LOT.

Criticism should be based on PERSONAL experience.

Thanks[/b]

2 Likes

Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by mivepa: 12:07pm On Apr 06, 2012
The mobile world is where all the rave is right now because it is much more bigger than the Internet. Not everyone has access to the Internet but almost everyone has a mobile phone. Some people even have up to four (4) mobile lines! This fact makes the mobile market a big target for Advertisers.

Advertisers are moving to mobile networks, where they can target customers personally. As ads reach prospective clients personally through mobile, miVEPA Mobile Advertising thought about sharing the revenue to customers too. And so by joining, you earn a share of money miVEPA earns.

You get paid to read SMS in your inbox and to send SMS. You also get benefited with free gifts, free coupons, free mobile applications and free mobile game downloads. Also you can send free SMS to any country without ads in it.

The fun and benefits you get becomes even more exciting when you refer your friends.

Yes, you get all these and more from using your phone. To get all this benefits you just need to sign up (by SMS through your phone) for our mobile marketing service on miVEPA.org

BENEFITS WHEN YOU SUBSCRIBE:

* You will receive free SMS sending credits
* You will receive N1 for every SMS sent to your phone from miVEPA Mobile Advertising
* You will receive N1.50k for every SMS you send out to clients on behalf of miVEPA Mobile Advertising
* You will receive N100 for every friend or family you refer to join miVEPA mobile Advertising
* You will have access to special offers and promos from miVEPA.org
* You can choose what category of content or ads you are interested in
* You can choose what time of the day you want the SMSes to be sent to your phone
* You can choose what number of SMSes you will like to read per day (There is no limit)
* You will choose what mode of payment you want
* You will have access to your own control panel where you can monitor all transactions daily

QUICK OVERVIEW
What this means is that you could make well over N10,000 per month just reading SMS Ads on your phone or above N15,000 monthly sending SMSes from miVEPA to friends and family.
Better yet you could smile to the bank every month to withdraw N20,000 just for inviting 200 friends.
Altogether, that's N45,000 in a month!

Of course, the above is merely a rough estimate of what you could earn. In reality, you can always do better than that especially if you connect with your large facebook-family of friends and colleagues.

TO SUBSCRIBE TO miVEPA MOBILE ADVERTISING:
Send your details in the following format as an SMS to 08103231131

NAME (space)AGE (space) SEX (space) LOCATION (space)
ADVERT CATEGORIES: 1.HEALTH 2.SPORTS 3.RELIGION 4.PROPERTIES 5.SHOPPING 6.JOBS 7.BUSINESS 8.FINANCE 9.EDUCATION 10.ALL
[Choose the numbers you are interested in]

-------------------------------
Example:
David 27 Male Ikeja 479 (Text to 08103231131)
-------------------------------

Send your subscription details in the above format as an SMS to 08103231131

Once you send the SMS, an account will be setup for you and you are on your way to earning great incomes on your phone.

All enquiries to +234(0)810-323-1131
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by Dsbportal(m): 1:29pm On Apr 07, 2012
Etisalat rocks
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by otokx(m): 2:21pm On Apr 07, 2012
Kunle-A:
[size=14pt]MTN Simple Surf: My story[/size]

[b]I live in California and was in Nigeria last year for about 9 months on business trip. Left in December and came back in March this year. I am saying that to let you know that i have something to compare Nigeria network to.

I revolve between ibadan (Oyo) Lagos and Ijebu Ode (Ogun State). My business depends mostly on the internet stuff. i buy and bid (live) for cars online.

So data cap and speed is very crucial to me. I have tried mostly all available networks: Glo, Multilinks, Etisalat, Starcomms, etc.

Different ones are good in different areas. Multilinks is better (then) in Ogun. Starcomms in Lagos/ibadan and Etisalat.

The issue i have with Etisalat when i came back this March is the data limit. i went thru 250mb (N1,000) in few hrs nightly.

I tried the Simple surf and its has been great in ALL my areas. Ogun, Oyo and Lagos.

I have even watched video online and make calls to the US over the net (especially late at night) from my flat in Ibadan. If there is a problem or a cap on the simple surf, i am yet to see it. There have been slow connections sometimes and just yesterday, the connection kept logging off everytime i log on. i just took out my multilinks modem and finish the job. Hours later, its fine

i can only call it like i see it. i have no loyalty to any network but the one that's good to me.

By the way, i use glo for all my calls cos they charge N9/min to call the US. MTN charges a LOT.

Criticism should be based on PERSONAL experience.

Thanks[/b]

nice
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by 9zeros(m): 2:53pm On Apr 18, 2012
nowadays, smart heads make use of three networks. mtn for receiving calls, glo for making calls, etisalat for browsing. desperate times calls for extreme smartness. wise up nigerians....
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by BabsO2(m): 7:07am On Apr 20, 2012
I was looking for MTN data plan with a view of buying this weekend after my STARCOMMS iZAP expired 250 hrs. Only to see the N13.5K 300 hrs bundle offer is no more available on their site. I also stumbled on this threat while looking for the MTN page. I used a friends MTN last week in Lagos and it looked satisfactory though I had a problem logging the device off. It always refused to log off. I thought perhaps its his modem and my PC that had a bug. So I pull the modem off or shut my pc to log off. It appeared satisfactory and close to starcomms in performance hence my interest in switching for N13.5 k for 300 hrs against starcomms N15k for 250 hrs. Now reading through this thread I will stick with my starcomms and not experiments with buying an MTN modem. I have MTN phone and notice it is expensive so I use it sparingly as I have a glo office mobile. I see a lot of good review for Etisalat. But my Experience with Etisalat has been poor. I have an etisalat modem. Etisalat never offered speed as fast as my starcomms iZap both in Lagos or Port Harcourt. Etisalat didn't even work in Ibadan while Starcomms iZap worked steadily. The only issue I have with Starcomms of late is network signal. It seems to be falling down like NEPA (PHCN) in the last 1 month in Port Harcourt. I will try my Etisalat again for 1 month and see perhaps if they have improved and stop the idea of buy MTN modem immediately (afterall the 13.5k for 300 hrs is no more showing on offer at their website.
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by kdecifer: 2:31pm On Apr 28, 2012
gentlegg: MTN IS A PURE FRAUD. I SAW THE ADVERT OF THE HOURLY SIMPLE SURF LAST WEEK AND IMMEDIATELY I SUBSCRIBED TO 300HRS - N13,000 FOR 3 MONTHS, HOPING TO ENJOY THE UNLIMITED DATA USAGE, PROBABLY A LOT OF ONLINE VIDEO STREAMING I'VE BEEN WISHING FOR. TO MY CHAGRIN THAT SIMPLE SURF IS NOT THE SAME SPEED WITH DATA BUNDLES. INITIALLY I THOUGHT IT'S FROM MY SYSTEM, BUT WHEN I PUT BACK MY GLO REMAINING PACKAGE, THE THING BROWSE AS FAST AS USUAL, THEN MY SIMPLE SURF AGAIN, AS SLOW AS A SNAIL. TO EVEN BROWSE IS QUITE SLOW LET ALONE VIDEO STREAMING OR DOWNLOAD(THE HIGHEST DOWNLOAD I'VE GOT IS 15KBPS. STILL TRYING TO CONFIRM WHAT'S HAPPENING, I SUBSCRIBED TO N100 - 10MB MTN BUNDLE, THE FEW MINUTES IT LASTED ON MY SYSTEM IT WAS AS FAST AS NORMAL MTN 3G DATA BUNDLES AND TRIED DOWNLOADING, THE LEAST I GOT IS 65KBPS BEFORE IT'S EXHAUSTED, SO I CONFIRMED THAT MTN PROGRAMMED THE SIMPLE SURF TO A DIFFERENT INTERNET BASE THAT IS SLOW AS ORDINARY DIAL UP, AND DON'T EVEN THINK OF ANYTHING VIDEO STREAMING.
RIGHT NOW AM REGRETTING THE 13K, INFACT THIS AFTERNOON I CALLED A FRIEND BEGGING HIM TO PAY ME ANY AMOUNT AND TAKE THIS SIMPLE SURF SO I CAN SUBSCRIBE BACK TO MY GLO, BUT THE GUY REFUSED. AND MTN NEVER ADVERTISED THAT THE SO CALLED UNLIMITED DATA SIMPLE SURF HAS A DIFFERENT SPEED OF INTERNET. PURE 419.

This is my personal experience so far with MTN's simple surf internet plans which is time based.

Well, so far it has not made any sense to me. It turns out that two levels of limitations were being imposed. One is that of the time which is obvious. But the second is subtle. Below is my experience with the 2 hours plan which goes for 250 naira and expires in 2 days

My modem has a data capacity of 7.2Mbps. After connecting and online, the signal area shows HSPA which gives an amazing speed with downloads

and you tube video streaming. I was even able to stream live matches from supersports. But this only happens for the first 5 to 10 minutes after

which the signal changes to HSDPA which in the normal sense, the speed should at least average 800kbps. But I was suprised on three different

occasions (with the 2hours plan) that even though the signal shows HSDPA, the speed limit on the statistics window never exceeded 120kbps

which is not even up to the peak on an EDGE network. This by my own standards is only good for googling and visiting text based sites only.

Facebook performs poorly as there was slow or no realtime update on FB. Downloading only sometimes managed to reach 8KB/s while video

streaming is out of the question.

When this had happened the third time, I had to be sure that this was not a problem with my system and network problem and that It was deliberately imposed. So I brought another system with another 7.2Mbps modem but this time around with a data volume based subscription (250MB all day at 1300 naira for 30 days). I connected both at the same time and both were online and doing great at amazing speeds (reaching close to 5.7mbps on both). But after about 7 minutes, the modem with the time

based subscription dropped to 120kbps threshold while the one with 250MB speed continued at its blazing speed. I observed for the next 10

minutes and the time based subscription never exceeded 120kbps. I had to cancel the download I was doing (an 100MB file will take an eternity

to download with a speed of 120kbps which for the most part averages at 64kbps).

Based on the above experiences, my conclusions are as follows:

1. Either there is bug in MTN's implementation of their Internet time based (MTN Simple Surf) plan OR

2. MTN deliberately imposed a speed limit on subscribers with the Time based plan so as to ultimately lower their data usage while hiding

under the guise of "You now pay for the time you use on the internet not the amount of data you consume". This I believe is not true from my

personal experience.

Personally, I stick strongly with the second as this is the most reasonable conclusion the experience offered me.

I sincerely hope readers will give it a second thought before going for the MTN Simple surf plan (Time based). Apart from it being

ridiculously expensive, you won't also get the value for your money. Thanks
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by otokx(m): 3:07am On Apr 29, 2012
@kdecifer
nice work
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by tonardo(m): 9:58pm On Apr 29, 2012
rman: Apparaently, everyone hates MTN in Nigeria but the realty on ground is they are the market leader and are still growing. In fact they added more than a million subscribers last year which is second only to Etisalat. Everytime I see threads about MTN and DSTV on nairaland, it is all hate, hate and hate from forum members. Unless nairaland is not a partial reflection of the Nigerian reality, and if it is, WHO ARE THOSE ON MTN NIGERIA'S NETWORK?

well said,. the fact remains many mtn subscribers..
1.don't care how much they charge
2.because they buy the line when it is 25-30k(don't want 2 change even if they are charging 70/min or too many people knows me wit it)
3.illiterate(not been able to calculate)
4.they still remain the most relaible network no matter what

but know it they would remain there forever,i still believe one day etisalat or glo will emerge,...
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by needful: 8:46am On Apr 30, 2012
Was curious about it and immediately subscribed to 20hrs plan. Have watched several youtube videos and its still very much active. I think there network works fine in ph.
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by nadrah: 8:16pm On May 28, 2012
First I think some people on here need to understand the difference between "speed" and "data". I'm yet to find a Nigerian complaining that he was duped out of unlimited speed. But data and hours, yes. Second,if a company says it is giving unlimited data, knowing that people will rely on that information and buy that company, then that company needs to cough up the unlimited data because thhats what they are offering. Otherwise, it's false advertising.

If I buy something that company X tells me does A. I expect it to do A after I buy it. You can't come and tell me it's crazy for me to expect it to do A. If I call Company X to complain and they tell me it's actually built to do B, then that's false advertising. Company X just tricked me into buying its product.

Moral of the story. Do as I do and buy internet plans from different providers--depending on who is actually the best at the time. They all offer internet services at roughly the same price. Here's what I did. I moved back to the States and everyone told me MTN was the shit! So I listened and I boughht MTN sim and internet stick. Turned out MTN internet was more like the SHIT as poop, stupid, rubbish. It only worked from 3am-6am. So, I saw visafone was offering free usb modems when you buy a plan, I signed on to their hourly plan. 3 months later, visafone took away their hourly plans and had monthhly limited plans. I was sad but figured since their connection was good and they didn't change the speed...no problem! I was wrong! BIG problem in little China! During my second month and still hoping it was just a glitch, my sister told me her etisalat usb modem was incredible and I tried. Ho Ho! That damn internet was fast! I noticed they were also doing the same free modem with a plan thing, so once visafone month ran out (since I could never finish the 3GB for the month because the damn thing never connected), I went to etisalat and got a usb modem. All was well, till they ended their promo. One thing I noticed throughout my experiments with these 3 companies, my other sister has been using a starcomms usb modem and never complained. Finally, I tried it and I was convinced. So, it's been 3weeks since I got starcomms (they have a promo that has been on for a looong time--8k for modem and 100hrs per month). It's okay. The speed is not phew fast, but it average and consistent! I hope it works! But if it doesn't work and this is the genius of it all! I have 4 usb modems and monthly cost for all 4 are roughly the same (6,500-7,500) so if one acts up, I can easily go a better company and reload.

Until we have better connection plans in Nigeria...this is my strategy.
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by kdecifer: 8:22pm On May 28, 2012
nadrah: First I think some people on here need to understand the difference between "speed" and "data". I'm yet to find a Nigerian complaining that he was duped out of unlimited speed. But data and hours, yes. Second,if a company says it is giving unlimited data, knowing that people will rely on that information and buy that company, then that company needs to cough up the unlimited data because thhats what they are offering. Otherwise, it's false advertising.

If I buy something that company X tells me does A. I expect it to do A after I buy it. You can't come and tell me it's crazy for me to expect it to do A. If I call Company X to complain and they tell me it's actually built to do B, then that's false advertising. Company X just tricked me into buying its product.

Moral of the story. Do as I do and buy internet plans from different providers--depending on who is actually the best at the time. They all offer internet services at roughly the same price. Here's what I did. I moved back to the States and everyone told me MTN was the shit! So I listened and I boughht MTN sim and internet stick. Turned out MTN internet was more like the SHIT as poop, stupid, rubbish. It only worked from 3am-6am. So, I saw visafone was offering free usb modems when you buy a plan, I signed on to their hourly plan. 3 months later, visafone took away their hourly plans and had monthhly limited plans. I was sad but figured since their connection was good and they didn't change the speed...no problem! I was wrong! BIG problem in little China! During my second month and still hoping it was just a glitch, my sister told me her etisalat usb modem was incredible and I tried. Ho Ho! That damn internet was fast! I noticed they were also doing the same free modem with a plan thing, so once visafone month ran out (since I could never finish the 3GB for the month because the damn thing never connected), I went to etisalat and got a usb modem. All was well, till they ended their promo. One thing I noticed throughout my experiments with these 3 companies, my other sister has been using a starcomms usb modem and never complained. Finally, I tried it and I was convinced. So, it's been 3weeks since I got starcomms (they have a promo that has been on for a looong time--8k for modem and 100hrs per month). It's okay. The speed is not phew fast, but it average and consistent! I hope it works! But if it doesn't work and this is the genius of it all! I have 4 usb modems and monthly cost for all 4 are roughly the same (6,500-7,500) so if one acts up, I can easily go a better company and reload.

Until we have better connection plans in Nigeria...this is my strategy.

You could have unlocked the modem and only change sim cards instead of having to buy 4 usb modems. Any way, does anyone knows where I can get an Huawei E367 modem. It offers a speed of 21.6Mbps in the downlink. Thanks
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by stephenponti(m): 2:58pm On Jun 01, 2012
MODERATOR PLS EDIT THIS TOPIC TO "MTN SCAM, No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan.''

I JUST SUBSCRIBED the 20H- #1500 parkage; The speed averaged 70kbs when i used the 5hrs of the time i experienced worst frustrating speed of 9kbs, I had 2 bars with HSDP I then slloted into the moderm my dormant mtn sim that has #200 & had speed upto 289kbs. i then concluded those simple surf parkages are scam.
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by TCD: 4:06am On Jun 18, 2012
Nobody should waste his or her time subscribing for this simple surf. There is no data limit but there is a speed limit, at least I know for the 250naira, 2hour plan. U can't go past 124kbps that's like highest 15KB/s. Most times revolves around 8KB/s which is totally useless. This is plain theft and false advertising, they should have indicated this . Pls don't fall victim to this scam.
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by kdecifer: 12:29am On Jun 19, 2012
TCD: Nobody should waste his or her time subscribing for this simple surf. There is no data limit but there is a speed limit, at least I know for the 250naira, 2hour plan. U can't go past 124kbps that's like highest 15KB/s. Most times revolves around 8KB/s which is totally useless. This is plain theft and false advertising, they should have indicated this . Pls don't fall victim to this scam.

I have actually in the past been mad at MTN for not giving me the right value for my money all because of this Simple surf plan. But I think MTN has been fair enough in their dealings with customers as regards the simple surf plan. What do I mean? Well, for those people who would just subscribe to a plan without finding out the details first, this is a lesson to be learnt. Whenever anything is being advertised by the telecoms providers, always run a check on their website to see the details of their advert.

When I checked MTN's website for the Simple surf plan, MTN made it plain that "FAIR USAGE POLICY APPLIES". I immediately ran a check on it on google to know what it meant. After my check, I called their customer desk to ask what it meant and I was SURPRISED that the guy doesnt know. Well, maybe I shouldn't have been so surprised cos they were not expected to know everything.

So by using the fair usage policy, and even though you are on a data unlimited plan, MTN expects you not to use above a certain amount of data. If you however try to exceed that limit, your data access will not be terminated but your speed will be greatly reduced so that in the long run, you won't be able to exceed the limit by a significant margin. For example, if you subscribe to the 2hours plan, you are not expected to use above 100MB or thereabout within that 2 hours. So after reaching 100MB, you will still be able to browse but at a terribly reduced speed say a drop from 700kbps to 15kbps.

So it turns out MTN is just a business trying to cash in on peoples failure to read. No abuses intended cos I was a victim too. Well, I have since left MTN for Airtel cos they offer me more for less.

Thanks guys.

1 Like

Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by Nobody: 12:56am On Jun 20, 2012
unphilaz: think i will continue wit etisalat, might check back to see people's opinion of it
demdem's also right...mek i richar ma etisala! Though on my side: Glo is world's WORST and mtn customer care agents are always drowsy at work
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jun 26, 2012
gentlegg: MTN IS A PURE FRAUD. I SAW THE ADVERT OF THE HOURLY SIMPLE SURF LAST WEEK AND IMMEDIATELY I SUBSCRIBED TO 300HRS - N13,000 FOR 3 MONTHS, HOPING TO ENJOY THE UNLIMITED DATA USAGE, PROBABLY A LOT OF ONLINE VIDEO STREAMING I'VE BEEN WISHING FOR. TO MY CHAGRIN THAT SIMPLE SURF IS NOT THE SAME SPEED WITH DATA BUNDLES. INITIALLY I THOUGHT IT'S FROM MY SYSTEM, BUT WHEN I PUT BACK MY GLO REMAINING PACKAGE, THE THING BROWSE AS FAST AS USUAL, THEN MY SIMPLE SURF AGAIN, AS SLOW AS A SNAIL. TO EVEN BROWSE IS QUITE SLOW LET ALONE VIDEO STREAMING OR DOWNLOAD(THE HIGHEST DOWNLOAD I'VE GOT IS 15KBPS. STILL TRYING TO CONFIRM WHAT'S HAPPENING, I SUBSCRIBED TO N100 - 10MB MTN BUNDLE, THE FEW MINUTES IT LASTED ON MY SYSTEM IT WAS AS FAST AS NORMAL MTN 3G DATA BUNDLES AND TRIED DOWNLOADING, THE LEAST I GOT IS 65KBPS BEFORE IT'S EXHAUSTED, SO I CONFIRMED THAT MTN PROGRAMMED THE SIMPLE SURF TO A DIFFERENT INTERNET BASE THAT IS SLOW AS ORDINARY DIAL UP, AND DON'T EVEN THINK OF ANYTHING VIDEO STREAMING.
RIGHT NOW AM REGRETTING THE 13K, INFACT THIS AFTERNOON I CALLED A FRIEND BEGGING HIM TO PAY ME ANY AMOUNT AND TAKE THIS SIMPLE SURF SO I CAN SUBSCRIBE BACK TO MY GLO, BUT THE GUY REFUSED. AND MTN NEVER ADVERTISED THAT THE SO CALLED UNLIMITED DATA SIMPLE SURF HAS A DIFFERENT SPEED OF INTERNET. PURE 419.
i've learnt from this mistake!
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by Demdem(m): 4:54pm On Jun 26, 2012
Docjay487: i've learnt from this mistake!

This will help too

kdecifer:

I have actually in the past been mad at MTN for not giving me the right value for my money all because of this Simple surf plan. But I think MTN has been fair enough in their dealings with customers as regards the simple surf plan. What do I mean? Well, for those people who would just subscribe to a plan without finding out the details first, this is a lesson to be learnt. Whenever anything is being advertised by the telecoms providers, always run a check on their website to see the details of their advert.

When I checked MTN's website for the Simple surf plan, MTN made it plain that "FAIR USAGE POLICY APPLIES". I immediately ran a check on it on google to know what it meant. After my check, I called their customer desk to ask what it meant and I was SURPRISED that the guy doesnt know. Well, maybe I shouldn't have been so surprised cos they were not expected to know everything.

So by using the fair usage policy, and even though you are on a data unlimited plan, MTN expects you not to use above a certain amount of data. If you however try to exceed that limit, your data access will not be terminated but your speed will be greatly reduced so that in the long run, you won't be able to exceed the limit by a significant margin. For example, if you subscribe to the 2hours plan, you are not expected to use above 100MB or thereabout within that 2 hours. So after reaching 100MB, you will still be able to browse but at a terribly reduced speed say a drop from 700kbps to 15kbps.

So it turns out MTN is just a business trying to cash in on peoples failure to read. No abuses intended cos I was a victim too. Well, I have since left MTN for Airtel cos they offer me more for less.

Thanks guys.
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by sancata(m): 9:16pm On Aug 01, 2012
[b][/b]i hate dis network kald mtn.i hate dis network kald mtn.i hate dis network kald mtn.
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by Lansky(m): 9:04am On Aug 15, 2012
Demdem:

This will help too

I kinda disagree with you. MTN has been handing out leaflets about the SIMPLE SURF PLAN without any "FAIR USAGE POLICY" info on it. How does the average Nigerian who doesn't know the "catches" in the telecom industry' know about this info? Also, where did you see the info that the limit for the 2Hour plan is 100MB? (post the url). Unlike MTN, on visafone's website the information is clearly stated there (see picture below)...contrast that with MTN's info on Simple Surf (see picture below). I just feel MTN and other companies should give FULL INFO to customers and let customers decide. Heaven bless those companies when I become Exec Chair of NCC grin

Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by soki2ng(m): 8:02pm On Oct 20, 2012
Hello C-zar,

It would be nice if you had added the link to the Original Post you copied found here http://www.ngbuzz.com/index.php/topic,490.0.html
Websites have copyrights policies(Creative Commons Attribution): Please obey them.
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by bizzle2: 3:06am On Oct 21, 2012
MTN is a rogue organisation,Like the Proverbial devil everything it gives comes with a string attached.The Nigerian telecom market has been a literal goldmine to them, MTN prob has more subscribers (not necessarily active) than any other telecom operator @ the moment because, once upon a time whn GSM ws a miracle and Econet wireless (which had poor coverage) ws d only competition in town, they built a customer base that affords them d arrogance they display nw. @ d moment i have about 7 diff sims frm all 4 gsm service providers wch i acquired over d years and hv used for purposes ranging frm odinary voice calls to internet data access,adapting as the need arises.my very first was an MTN sim back in 2003, sometime later i bought anoda MTN sim for the den popular midnyt calls,not because MTN offered dat great a value bt because i had few options and in saving costs one had to be dynamic.as other players emerged in the industry call rates dropped drastically but MTN in dier natural greedy and arrogant manner stil had the highest charges.many subscribers like me couldnt really ditch thier old lines so they stuck to it for contacts' sake and simply got unto oda netwrks dat offered better value for money. while glo etisalat and zain have had tariffs of less dan N15/ min to oda netwrks for ages why did MTN wch has been robbing d Nigerian populace for so long (with tariffs as high as N50/min back den) wait till d competition ws practically choking it bizness before dey managed to make dier calls to oda netwrks a lil affordable. considering thier length of stay in Nigeria and earnings here, MTN should witout a doubt be the cheapest, but ironically dey're the most xpensive.
About GSM internet services, the first step to setting urself free is hacking ur modem. that affords u the freedom u need to be dynamic. various netwrks have varying signal strength in diff places, u need to find d fastest in ur loction. as d service quality deteriorates for any of d providers u migrate. currently d best value i'm getting for speed/cost/dataallowance is using airtel in my cracked glo modem.
@ N3700 a month i enjoy a data usage a lil in excess of 4GB. For daytime browsing i subscribe to airtel blackberry social monthly dis costs N1200 and gives u a 1024mb (1GB) data allowance for one month,i slip d sim inside my modem and i'm good to go. alota ppl dont knw dis wrks wt usb dongles.i dont use dis @ nyt so as not to exhaust d data allowance. and for d nyt surfing wch is whn i do most downloads i'm subscribed to the airtel nyt plan ,@ N2500 per month u get a lil above 3GB data, wch brings d total to 4GB for N3700, with a good speed.so with my modem set to "WCDMA only" i'm on 3G always and easily get download speeds in excess of 200kbps and stream videos on youtube too.and my modem is an ordinary 3.6Mbps dongle. bottom line look arnd u see wt wrks best for u. both sims cost me N300 and it dsnt take 10secs to switch. and by the way i dont tink glo and etisalat blackberry subscriptions can be used on a modem like u cn wt airtel, hvnt tried tho, jst tried MTN wch def dsnt wrk.hopefully in d nearest future internet facility will becom as cheap and manageably stable as voice calls in Nigeria. power to the ppl Screw MTN!!

2 Likes

Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by Nobody: 4:26pm On Oct 21, 2012
+10,000,000

l like it when ppl use their HEAD to THINK. I have been using same plan for sometime.

bizzle*:
MTN is a rogue organisation,Like the Proverbial devil everything it gives comes with a string attached.The Nigerian telecom market has been a literal goldmine to them, MTN prob has more subscribers (not necessarily active) than any other telecom operator @ the moment because, once upon a time whn GSM ws a miracle and Econet wireless (which had poor coverage) ws d only competition in town, they built a customer base that affords them d arrogance they display nw. @ d moment i have about 7 diff sims frm all 4 gsm service providers wch i acquired over d years and hv used for purposes ranging frm odinary voice calls to internet data access,adapting as the need arises.my very first was an MTN sim back in 2003, sometime later i bought anoda MTN sim for the den popular midnyt calls,not because MTN offered dat great a value bt because i had few options and in saving costs one had to be dynamic.as other players emerged in the industry call rates dropped drastically but MTN in dier natural greedy and arrogant manner stil had the highest charges.many subscribers like me couldnt really ditch thier old lines so they stuck to it for contacts' sake and simply got unto oda netwrks dat offered better value for money. while glo etisalat and zain have had tariffs of less dan N15/ min to oda netwrks for ages why did MTN wch has been robbing d Nigerian populace for so long (with tariffs as high as N50/min back den) wait till d competition ws practically choking it bizness before dey managed to make dier calls to oda netwrks a lil affordable. considering thier length of stay in Nigeria and earnings here, MTN should witout a doubt be the cheapest, but ironically dey're the most xpensive.
About GSM internet services, the first step to setting urself free is hacking ur modem. that affords u the freedom u need to be dynamic. various netwrks have varying signal strength in diff places, u need to find d fastest in ur loction. as d service quality deteriorates for any of d providers u migrate. currently d best value i'm getting for speed/cost/dataallowance is using airtel in my cracked glo modem.
@ N3700 a month i enjoy a data usage a lil in excess of 4GB. For daytime browsing i subscribe to airtel blackberry social monthly dis costs N1200 and gives u a 1024mb (1GB) data allowance for one month,i slip d sim inside my modem and i'm good to go. alota ppl dont knw dis wrks wt usb dongles.i dont use dis @ nyt so as not to exhaust d data allowance. and for d nyt surfing wch is whn i do most downloads i'm subscribed to the airtel nyt plan ,@ N2500 per month u get a lil above 3GB data, wch brings d total to 4GB for N3700, with a good speed.so with my modem set to "WCDMA only" i'm on 3G always and easily get download speeds in excess of 200kbps and stream videos on youtube too.and my modem is an ordinary 3.6Mbps dongle. bottom line look arnd u see wt wrks best for u. both sims cost me N300 and it dsnt take 10secs to switch. and by the way i dont tink glo and etisalat blackberry subscriptions can be used on a modem like u cn wt airtel, hvnt tried tho, jst tried MTN wch def dsnt wrk.hopefully in d nearest future internet facility will becom as cheap and manageably stable as voice calls in Nigeria. power to the ppl Screw MTN!!
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by newmaonza: 11:37pm On Oct 25, 2012
@ First I used to think MTN were this DRACONIAN DEVILS with Horns attached till i travelled out of Lagos.... It was only MTN that managed to give me services for my modem with services better than cafes that still relied on VSAT and with #250 for 2 hours men That was a good bargain... I guess Different strokes for Different Folks
Re: No Data Limits On New Mtn Nigeria Simple Surf Internet Subscription Plan by elsaturn(m): 10:43pm On Nov 20, 2012
In US i heard they give unlimited data there,why cant nigerians network do that?...mtn is just rubbish am only in that network because my friends and families are using it if not!...and i dont even recharge it anymore i only receive calls with it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

See Why Your Infinix Phone Is Not Charging/ Not Charging Fast / Which Data Plan Is Best For A Heavy Internet User Like Me? / DOWNLOAD GB Whatsapp V18.50.0 Latest Version

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.