Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,026 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost (24477 Views)

Abacha Loot Is Too Huge For Us To Handle – World Bank / Channels TV Addresses Dame Patient As President Of Nigeria [photo] / FULL TEXT: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala And The Missing Trillions Pt.1-Chukwuma C. Soludo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Nebeuwa(m): 8:26pm On Apr 16, 2012
Bluetooth,

No need for such a statements, because to most of us Americans, we can't even tell the difference between you all!

Just another black African to the outside world.

1 Like

Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by mufc009(m): 8:26pm On Apr 16, 2012
Ngozi is a political insiders; she spent most of her lives getting rich or becoming politically powerful, or worse.
Kim, by contrast, has spent most of his life trying to improve the lives of poor people."
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Nobody: 8:27pm On Apr 16, 2012
Let's compare the two candidates - and their records:

[size=14pt]Jim Yong Kim[/size]
Jim Yong Kim (born December 8, 1959) is a Korean-American physician and 17th President of Dartmouth College. He was formerly the Chair of the Department of Global Health and Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School, and was a co-founder and executive director of Partners In Health. Jim Yong Kim, along with Paul Farmer, Todd McCormack, Thomas J. White and Ophelia Dahl, co-founded Partners In Health (PIH) in 1987. The organization began with radical new, community-focused health care programs in Haiti, which executed treatments based on local needs and by training community members to implement them. By the early 1990s, the program in Haiti was serving more than 100,000 people. It achieved remarkable success treating infectious diseases at low cost, spending $150 to $200 to cure tuberculosis patients in their homes, treatment that would have cost $15,000 to $20,000 in a U.S. hospital. Kim was instrumental in designing treatment protocols and cutting deals for cheaper, more effective drugs.

The PIH model was expanded to Peru in 1994. By 1998, extremely successful results curing both common and serious ailments prompted the World Health Organization to embrace the model, and support the adaptation of community-based care to impoverished communities around the world. Particular success in treating multi-drug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) prompted international organizations to rededicate efforts to the eradication of the disease, and in June 2002, the World Health Organization adopted prescriptions for dealing with the disease that were virtually the same as PIH had used in Peru. Kim's work with PIH to treat MDR-TB was the first large-scale attempt to treat the disease in a poor country, and the efforts have now been replicated in more than 40 countries around the world.

PIH now employs more than 13,000 people in 12 countries. Kim left the organization as Executive Director in 2003. Kim left PIH in 2003 to join the World Health Organization (WHO) as an adviser to the director-general. In March 2004, he was appointed as director of WHO’s HIV/AIDS department, after having success creating programs to fight the disease at PIH. Dr. Kim oversaw all of WHO’s work related to HIV/AIDS, focusing on initiatives to help developing countries scale up their treatment, prevention, and care programs. This included an ambitious “3x5 initiative” that was designed to put three million people in developing countries on AIDS treatment by the end of 2005. The goal was not met until 2007, but according to the WHO, served to push the treatment strategy for AIDS in Africa further and faster than could have otherwise been hoped. As of 2012, the program has treated more than 7 million Africans with HIV.

[size=14pt]Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala[/size]
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, PhD (born June 13, 1954) is a globally renowned Nigerian economist best known for her current role as Finance Minister of Nigeria and for her work at the World Bank, including several years as one of its Managing Directors (October 2007–July 2011). She also briefly held the position of Foreign Minister of Nigeria in 2006.

In October 2005, she led the Nigerian team that struck a deal with the Paris Club, a group of bilateral creditors, to pay a portion of Nigeria's external debt (US $12 billion) in return for an $18 billion debt write-off. Prior to the partial debt payment and write-off, Nigeria spent roughly US $1 billion every year on debt servicing, without making a dent in the principal owed.

Some controversy surrounded Okonjo-Iweala’s appointment as Finance Minister, and that of Foreign Affairs minister, Olu Adeniji, United Nations over the payment of their salary in dollars. Okonjo Iweala and Olu Adeniji were paid US$240,000, compared with their own $6,000 base salary. The controversy was spearheaded by reform-minded media reports, although Okonjo-Iweala felt that her critics were unjustified because of the temporary nature of the payment, which came out of the donor-supported Diaspora Fund negotiated by the Nigerian government. Both Okonjo-Iweala and the Federal Government of Nigeria have appealed the case to the Supreme Court, and judgement is pending.Template:Updated after The appeal is on the basis that the appeal court made its judgment due to erroneous information provided to it that the Nigerian government was making the salary payments, when in fact it was not.
She resigned as Nigeria's Foreign Minister on August 3, 2006 following her sudden removal as head of Nigeria's Economic Team by former President Olusegun Obasanjo. She left that administration at the end of August 2006.

According to WikiLeaks, Okonjo-Iweala is suspected to have ferried a contract to her brother in 2004, while she was finance minister. She denies such accusations. In 2011, she was criticised to for insisting that her salary be paid in USD, and not in NGN.In 2012, the government removed gas subsidies, which led to a price increase from ₦65 to ₦140.

[size=14pt]If you compare the two candidates - one is academically qualified for the post - but she's also greedy and elitist. While the other dedicated his [b]career [/b]to HELPING THE POOR. Please, be the judge, people.[/size]
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Aringon(m): 8:27pm On Apr 16, 2012
Does anybody knows the reason why World Bank was set up by the super power?
Does NOI belongs to Illuminati?

Guys please, the World Bank was set by US n others to want to rule over and continue to dminate world politics for a very long time to come. Forget the so called project financing and all. Just look at the banks in US, if u don't belong to the mainstream cult group, u won't smell to become a Managing Director.

Therefore I am not suprised as to why NOI lost because she. Has not sold her soul to the devil to become a World Bank MD.

Don't accuse me yet that I am talking rubbish, go google members of illuminati and u will be surprise as to the names u will see, the current World Bank MD is a member.

The rockefellers,Bill Gates, Bill Clinton,Tony Blair, the UK Monarch, Belguim Monarch, Denmark,Spain Monarch and the current Pope of catholic are all members, so if don't belong don't go there.

Thanks
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Nobody: 8:27pm On Apr 16, 2012
Nebeuwa: Both candidate credentials:

Kim Yong Jim: President of Dartmouth College. Was backed by the US for the job. Born in Seoul, the 52-year-old is a leading figure in global health

Education:
Brown University - Magna cum laude - B.A.
Harvard Medical School - MD
Harvard University - Ph.D.

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala:The Nigerian finance minister, 57, was endorsed by three African countries - South Africa, Angola and Nigeria. Previously a managing director at the World Bank

Education:
Harvard University - Magna cum laude - B.A.
MIT - Ph.D. in regional economic development

-----------------------------------------------

I have to say that Ms. Okonjo-Iweala was more qualified for the position than Mr. Jim if you look at both of their credentials. He is not even have a background in economics for goodness sake.

Obama supported kim,jonathan supported ngozi. . .who did you think was going to win ?
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by kilimanjaro(m): 8:36pm On Apr 16, 2012
Maxymilliano: A nice try Ma'am.
If u like use ma'am from now till tomorrow, she no go ever know u or give u give u kobo!
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Nobody: 8:37pm On Apr 16, 2012
I knew it was going to work out like this.

I had my own personal reason to vote for her; a woman and a black woman to boot. She's sufficiently educated and admirable in some aspect.

If she's sufficient enough for this job, I wouldn't know since I'm not that much into the polity of the World Bank. I, however, do admire her as a woman.

If she didn't win, oh well. It doesn't make her any less qualified.

She needs to leave Nigeria tho, her choices have not yielded any positive or significant result.

1 Like

Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by awuf2008: 8:38pm On Apr 16, 2012
@Rhino. Ur conclusion is not d true reflection of what really happen and it shows dat u hv allowed sentiment to override ur judgement. And am sure u must from igbo extraction.
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 16, 2012
[size=18pt]Please, When is she going to leave Nigeria alone?? She needs to go away forever - we're PAYING her too much, for her voodoo economics.[/size]
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Leemak: 8:41pm On Apr 16, 2012
Sebi u dis morafucker Iweala or what do u call urself made innocent souls to suffer unexpected deaths during d subsidy removal saga, now is ur turn to be suffering too from all angles...d soul of d lost innocent souls because of ur oil subsidy removal wil continue to infiltrate sadness on u, AMEN ....oseeeesseebeeree
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by kilimanjaro(m): 8:43pm On Apr 16, 2012
nakedall: is she not an American citizen?
She's from Burundi!
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by aljharem(m): 8:44pm On Apr 16, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin this kills me

thanks a lot for making laugh today. God bless you grin grin grin grin
amosy007: Hahahahahaha bad news for nigeria indeed... Welcome back our own dear madam subsidy... How much are we guna be buying fuel now... N1200 may be...hahahaha nigeria (una never see anytin)
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Nobody: 8:48pm On Apr 16, 2012
kilimanjaro:
She's from Burundi!

Ehen ehen,I never knew that 70% of burudi lands are occupied by ibos.
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by aljharem(m): 8:50pm On Apr 16, 2012
I was actually rooting for Iweala because she is African and she would happen to be the first to represent us.

[size=13pt]Madam Iweala, you lost honourably. We love and respect your courage despite the fact that you are african and also a Woman. You showed the world most especially women that they can reach where they want to reach if they focus. Although we were bitter at the fuel crisis but it does not mean we do not love you ma. Please now focus on Nigeria. God bless you ma.![/size]
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by aljharem(m): 8:53pm On Apr 16, 2012
afam4eva:

Afam bu Afam Inshiworji and i endorse this curse.
Haba, c'mon !!! Stop cursing people.
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Nobody: 8:53pm On Apr 16, 2012
alj harem: I was actually rooting for Iweala because she is African and she would happen to be the first to represent us.

[size=13pt]Madam Iweala, you lost honourably. We love and respect you courage despite the fact that you are african and also a Woman. You showed the world most especially women that they can reach where they want to reach if they focus. Although we were bitter at the fuel crisis but it does not mean we do not love you ma. Please now focus on Nigeria. God bless you ma.![/size]

How is she going to represent US? If her antecedents are anything to go by - she would definitely do more damage to Nigeria, than help IMHO.
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Ironi: 8:54pm On Apr 16, 2012
I don't understand why some Nigerians are tripping over NOI's rejection?

Nigerians should rather be jubilating.

Here is a country who seriously needs financial administrator's to take care of its huge resources which is being grossly
mismanaged and yet burnt on sending away one of it's own who is claimed to be a financial genius.

This doesn’t make sense at all, but how can the Nigerian understand this?

Is this yet another example of African mismanagement?

Thank Obama, he has made Nigeria a big favour!
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by NEROSKY(m): 8:54pm On Apr 16, 2012
that suits her best..cum nd finish wat u startd, u made me pay 97 for fuel n want liv 4 swizz
na God Go Punish u........
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Rhino5dm: 9:02pm On Apr 16, 2012
Viewing this topic: deeplow, viewlekan , mukina2, fabraham(m), kilimanjaro(m), intelligen (m), dee-zed(m), aso ebi(m), olumide77, Originalalex, zubbainno123, olotooto, Jalal(m), sd-6, gragra boy, kcswat, Mfonbah, kalokalo(m), Goldia(f), 13volts(m), Goldenskin, Tayelolu042, BetaThings, gempo(m), segxes23(m), whizboi, infofirst, Tropilo(m), Kayyy , olajide_07(m), Mr. Globe(m), NEROSKY(m), Ozonna(m), re20909, Ufeolorun(m), iceprincezamani, nwabobo, Daddi, Ejiné(m), samuelorija218(m), Booty4me, Chamber10, icemania, jaffidoni, El_Kels(m), shymmex(m), Ileke-IdI, dasparrow, Ademicko, kay-1one(m), alj harem(m), Pacee, Ironi and 82 guest(s)

Ha ha ha. . . . .Dr. Evil!
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Nobody: 9:03pm On Apr 16, 2012
[size=14pt]Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala speaking to Al Jazeera over fuel subsidy removal[/size]

[size=14pt]Excerpt from the interview:

She said: "BUSES in NIgeria uses(sic) DIESEL NOT PETROL!!!!!"[/size] Laughing at the clueless and inarticulate FINANCE MINISTER!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrUpPsDKGlw
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Nobody: 9:04pm On Apr 16, 2012
NEROSKY: that suits her best..cum nd finish wat u startd, u made me pay 97 for fuel n want liv 4 swizz
na God Go Punish u........

E ti ri nken ken. . . .She is coming back big time with full force to dish out her frustrations on Nigerians.Get ready to buy petrol for #600. . grin
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by aljharem(m): 9:04pm On Apr 16, 2012
shymmex:

How is she going to represent US? If her antecedents are anything to go by - she would definitely do more damage to Nigeria, than help IMHO.

Probably but I would not support a foreigner against a Nigerian not matter how corrupt or good the Nigerian is. Reason being because every country most especially the USA are corrupt and not any better than Nigeria in some sense.

Ngozi was our best and we should not castigate her rather we should be happy that she respected us well and fought a good fight. I respect her cool
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by aljharem(m): 9:05pm On Apr 16, 2012
~Bluetooth:

E ti ri nken ken. . . .She is coming back big time with full force to dish out her frustrations on Nigerians.Get ready to buy petrol for #600. . grin

Dude e don do jare !
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by 13volts(m): 9:07pm On Apr 16, 2012
Why did TB Joshua not predicted who is going to win? not only cancer ridden patients that are at the blink of dead
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Rhino5dm: 9:07pm On Apr 16, 2012
Shut UP!
Do you know what would have happen had she won? Where are the colony of bigots? They can only view the topic as guests. Lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

alj harem:

Dude e don do jare !
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by aljharem(m): 9:10pm On Apr 16, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
Shut UP!
Do you what would have happen had she won? Where are the colony of bigots? They can only view the topic as guests. Lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Rhino egbon mi, yes if she had won the bigots would spring up; but really does it matter what they think ? Not really

Clearly, we cannot say because Bigots would be jubilating, we should not support her. At the end of the day, USA does not know the difference I hope you know that ?

1 Like

Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Nobody: 9:11pm On Apr 16, 2012
alj harem:
Probably but I would not support a foreigner against a Nigerian not matter how corrupt or good the Nigerian is. Reason being because every country most especially the USA are corrupt and not any better than Nigeria in some sense.
Ngozi was our best and we should not castigate her rather we should be happy that she respected us well and fought a good fight. I respect her cool

So, you would a Nigerian - whose interest is to work AGAINST millions of Nigerians, huh?? It shows why Nigeria will NEVER get better... Judging by your sentiment, you would rather see millions of poor Nigerians DEAD - for one corrupt Nigerian to live....

I see why everyone calls you chameleon on NL - people like you are everything wrong with Nigeria.
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by BABE3: 9:11pm On Apr 16, 2012
shymmex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrUpPsDKGlw

Is that the sound/voice of almighty iweala?

Haba?? sad

She sounds slow. . extremely dumb slow. She looks clueless. .

Utterly disappointed.
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Nobody: 9:13pm On Apr 16, 2012
alj harem:

Dude e don do jare !

Honestly the thing pain me very well because i prayed and fasted yet obama didnt give it to her.Now,ibos must make sure biafran territories become anti-american !

Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by Nobody: 9:13pm On Apr 16, 2012
^^^^ She looks like she's reading something.

Was this written down for her? undecided
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by BABE3: 9:15pm On Apr 16, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
^^^^ She looks like she's reading something.

Was this written down for her? undecided

Ko ye mi o, aunty Ileke. . .
Re: World Bank Officially Selects Kim As President-ngozi Okonjo-iweala Lost by aljharem(m): 9:15pm On Apr 16, 2012
shymmex:

So, you would a Nigerian - whose interest is to work AGAINST millions of Nigerians, huh?? It shows why Nigeria will NEVER get better... Judging by your sentiment, you would rather see millions of poor Nigerians DEAD - for one corrupt Nigerian to live....

I see why everyone calls you chameleon on NL - people like you are everything wrong with Nigeria.

No matter how the Nigerian is, I do not believe she was going to take a policy that would have a negative impact us ?

Clearly her and GEJ were used byt world bank for NOI.

Anyway, it is done now, there is nothing we can do about it. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Chris Uba's Daughter, Nkem's Wedding Photos / If Hameed Ali Ends Smuggling, He Can Appear In Senate In Jeans & Shirt - Saraki / What Will Happen If Buhari Rejects Onnoghen’s Resignation – Clarke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.