Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,243 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV (26796 Views)

Keshi Has Lost It - Victor Ikpeba / Osaze Disses Victor Ikpeba On Twitter / Victor Ikpeba And His Supersport Match Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Nairaboi(m): 5:04pm On May 01, 2012
Diakpa: nobody is saying he wasn't a good footballer, or saying he doesn't deserve to be there based on his past exploits... but the thing is as kids, we were always encouraged to watch tv to listen and learn how to speak eloquently. can u today, in ur right senses ask ur kids to listen to victor speaking in order for him/her to learn how to speak eloquently? no wonder the youths of today can't speak (or even write) correctly. here are some typical errors i saw and heard recently: 'i am a chelsea FANS', 'i am a year HOLDER today', 'where were me', 'what did u HEARD' and so on. isn't it time we sanitize the media house, so that it can once again become he role model for our kids (like say i don born) to learn how to speak simple and correct english eloquently without stress?
. . . U are what? A fo.ol

1 Like

Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by scopusng(m): 5:16pm On May 01, 2012
See wetin GEJ done put Naija ppl to. Jobless ppl
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by msb247(m): 5:22pm On May 01, 2012
odiaero: You are here crying about his grammer, and he is making his money being employed, and u are unemployed roaming around nairaland gossiping, i wonder if english is what u will eat, or english is ur birth language, tell messi to speak english too, nonsense

^well said!
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by chubysoft1(m): 5:33pm On May 01, 2012
Sammyblaq: @poster
whoever dat brought up dis topic is jealous of #ikpeba.
Whether he's getn it or not....he's making dough from it.
It's nt easy to b dia on d screen.

Have ur voice ever been heard on a radio?

What you are saying is out of the point. The point here is that Ikpeba should put more effort on his building of grammatical skills cos football analysis is not football itself, it's more use of good english/grammar. Besides, we Dstv subscribers pay our subscription with our hard money, Supersport shoud stop mocking Nigerians and probably themselves.

1 Like

Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Kayday(m): 5:35pm On May 01, 2012
Nonsense! What's the big deal about making a grammatical error? This is part of the colonial mentality Fela sang about. Rubbish!
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 01, 2012
Don't mind Ikpeba joor!
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by begwong: 6:07pm On May 01, 2012
chubysoft1:

What you are saying is out of the point. The point here is that Ikpeba should put more effort on his building of grammatical skills cos football analysis is not football itself, it's more use of good english/grammar. Besides, we Dstv subscribers pay our subscription with our hard money, Supersport shoud stop mocking Nigerians and probably themselves.
Stop subscribing to DSTV may be ikpeba will be sacked.open yr own make we see & ask ronaldo or messi to anchor your own in englishi
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Emylexray(m): 6:26pm On May 01, 2012
Why bring up this topic again? To mock Ikpeba? Oh! Nairaland, why not free this guy? Are we lords of the language?
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Paentera(m): 6:33pm On May 01, 2012
Fact 1 - Ikpeba's english is not a class act, so really those of us not thrilled by it are right for pointing it out.
Fact 2 - Nigerians seem not to particularly take critism very well also when it is seen to affect people we love (blindly or otherwise) or respect. In other words, we are hardly objective about accepting corrections.
Fact 3 - Ikpeba is an accomplished footballer and having retired at the highest level of football, lacing his boots for competitive teams in Europe as well as representing his country dutifully, Super Sports are right on the money for choosing him to analyse soccer to Nigerians with his known face.

In all, I believe for Ikpeba to have secured this role, a lot would have been factored in - DSTV/Multichoice might have looked at its broad subscriber base and concluded that an analyst who did not seem intimidating to the majoriy of their subscribers would cut across the audience in terms of appeal and communication.

I reckon this made front page again and would over and over again will be because the best stories that attract the most eyes for the owners of the site are those that are most controversial and with a lot of exchanges. cheesy Nuff said.

1 Like

Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Maximus85(m): 6:40pm On May 01, 2012
Join us the true Naija Real Madrid Fans.
https://m.facebook.com/RealMadridNaijaFans
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by walexyll(m): 7:06pm On May 01, 2012
abegiiii....idea is need
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by supremebeing09: 7:09pm On May 01, 2012
odiaero: You are here crying about his grammer, and he is making his money being employed, and u are unemployed roaming around nairaland gossiping, i wonder if english is what u will eat, or english is ur birth language, tell messi to speak english too, nonsense

Lol. According to Fela Kuti, Mr. Grammarticalogylisationalism Is the Boss.

But money is king! Dude is making money indeed! At least he's not a government official!
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by RSA(m): 7:29pm On May 01, 2012
Quotes from Ikpeba please..lol!
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by IYANGBALI: 7:42pm On May 01, 2012
ashually if you wash the mash between manshester united and shelsea,you will know that shelsea is more physical than manshester

1 Like

Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by sayso: 9:17pm On May 01, 2012
just complain to SS.you all are hard paying customers and deserve the best.
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 01, 2012
ROTFL... Not because ikpeba speaks bad english,(we all know this) but because it made front page - again.
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by obukokwois: 10:09pm On May 01, 2012
d guy na ex-footballer,him no b not englishman infact mk him dey spk benin sef
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by obukokwois: 10:12pm On May 01, 2012
send ur kids 2a gud sch 2learn not watchin sport station guy
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Nobody: 10:14pm On May 01, 2012
werin concern yhu and him english....if e too pain yhu go supersports go drop yur ish
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by confrenzy(m): 11:03pm On May 01, 2012
Ikpeba's level of english is immaterial, inconsequential and is negligible except to ppl like the poster who just pay attention in looking out for 2 or 3 errors out of every 100 correct english ikpeba speaks.
The problem with the critics on this thread is their mindset. They 4get that nobody is perfect when it comes to speaking english. Ok, if for instance we decide 2 analyse the various post made by those criticizing ikpeba, you'll find so many gramatical errors in them. Eg. Check the thread starter, u'll notice dat he could not even write without mixing good and pidgin english plus other gramatical error u might find in it.
Nevertheless let me quickly add that on the average i'll say ikpeba is inteligent and also succesful in his chosen career.
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by timmy1999(m): 11:49pm On May 01, 2012
Some pple are fool...for ur info amokachi is a train achictect ..when he left football he went to us to study...likewise others..so don't just a book by its cover..afterall english is not our mother tougue..who know u sef..this pple are star
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by 1forall: 12:45am On May 02, 2012
SMH sad
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by juventino: 5:08am On May 02, 2012
Try Rashidi Yekini lipsrsealed
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by iskonne(m): 6:41am On May 02, 2012
Not again!!!!
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Hemanwel(m): 7:00am On May 02, 2012
stanleybiggie: "Ashually wigan scored a subleem goal..."lmao
...lolsss...
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by larrycdof(m): 7:13am On May 02, 2012
oldave: It is ok for poorly educated guys like Ikpeba,Amokachi etc to make wrong use of words intermittently. When it comes to skills, ball sense, and game interpretation, you know they have made excellent contributions globally. It is you that have problem with Language, these guys are professors in their fields.
u ave spoken soo sensibly....that young man needs to understand d world dont revolve around sound spoken english..being sucessful at ur feild in life sud be everyone's focus not borrowed language

1 Like

Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Hemanwel(m): 7:18am On May 02, 2012
I am not against ikpeba's bad constructn of d lang.d drift is,he speaks it with so much power n confidence dat u can't buh notice d poor pronunciatns..."ashualay..."
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by igboboy1(m): 8:09am On May 02, 2012
we be english people?

All this inferior complex people in nigeria sef...

They think is by having english name or speaking english that makes you advanced...I wont talk for other part of Nigeria but I have noticed this stupid trend among igbos, always want to say na dem sabi speak igbo pass and now 80% of igbos have non-igbo first name WTF?
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by abouqi(f): 9:13am On May 02, 2012
confrenzy: Ikpeba's level of english is immaterial, inconsequential and is negligible except to ppl like the poster who just pay attention in looking out for 2 or 3 errors out of every 100 correct english ikpeba speaks.
The problem with the critics on this thread is their mindset. They 4get that nobody is perfect when it comes to speaking english. Ok, if for instance we decide 2 analyse the various post made by those criticizing ikpeba, you'll find so many gramatical errors in them. Eg. Check the thread starter, u'll notice dat he could not even write without mixing good and pidgin english plus other gramatical error u might find in it.
Nevertheless let me quickly add that on the average i'll say ikpeba is inteligent and also succesful in his chosen career.

Well said. I think someone needs to tell the poster & his followers that you don't really need "good" English to succeed in this life or to be relevant in a chosen profession.Don't you think the people that have been inviting him hear him speak the same condemned English with his poor accent & have not stopped inviting him.

You see, his bad constructions of the language regardless, he is still relevant! Please do something tangible with your time, spend your time judiciously & pray to be relevant in this life, study people that are there, how they got there,...etc.You might not need to go far,Seun (the main Nairalander) is here for you! All the best!
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Goodbishop: 9:38am On May 02, 2012
We dont need such thread here, English is a second lauguage to us ok, can an english man spokes any Nigerian language fluently, Y r we always proud of other man's thing while we condem ours
We dont need such thread here, English is a second lauguage to us ok, can an english man spokes any Nigerian language fluently, Y r we always proud of other man's thing while we condem ours
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by apache77(m): 10:09am On May 02, 2012
Analysing football is big money business, and you are called a pundit and the whole world is meant to listen and enjoy your analysis. One of the prerequisites for being a pundit is having a good command of English language or whatever language you are analyzing in. We have Spanish as well as arab speaking pundits- you see them all the time on Al jazeera sports. All of them are fluent in those languages they have chosen to ply their trade. Anybody who will come here trying to defend Ikpeba sure has a problem with speaking or writing English so perhaps they also view the thread as an attack on their proficiency.

Ikpeba is an absoulute disgrace. He was a good footballer, we all agree, but very few good footballers make that seamless transition from playing football to other areas of football related careers. You need to listen to Efan Ekoku speak- he is a commentator on Sky and most times it is his voice we hear during matches. Thomas mlambo of Supersport was absolutely fantastic on the EPL beat till he was redeployed to Soccer africa- he was so professional in his analysis as an anchor that till today, nobody knows the team he supports. Only God knows how Ikepba managed to snag that role with Superpsort Nigeria. One of the wonders of the world, but then, sshit happens. He is there undeservedly there so we are daily punished with his gibberish.

I dont complain about what I know I can change- so I no longer subscribe to DSTV as a whole. On my ABG which is even cheaper than Ikpeba's DSTV, i watch analysis straight from the EPL studios as well as IMG pitch side analysis before the match. Those guys are fantastic. Its always an exhilarating experience listening to Gary Linekar, Ruud Gullit, Andy Townsend, Ray Wilkins(yes, same Ray that was Ancelloti's deputy), Alan Shearer and others. For those of you who like mediocrity and even try to defend it, continue listening to Ikpeba while i listen to these guys and improve my English everyday. Because of the analysis, i no longer even watch football outside my house cos in all public places, its DSTV and Ikpeba's rubbish.

God punish those DSTV people.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Already 93 Goals, Will Ronaldo Beat International Record Of 109 Goals? / South Africa To Organise Two Friendlies To Fight Xenophobia / Police Arrests Robbers Who Attacked Ogenyi Onazi's Home In Jos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.