Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV (26809 Views)

Keshi Has Lost It - Victor Ikpeba / Osaze Disses Victor Ikpeba On Twitter / Victor Ikpeba And His Supersport Match Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Maleeq(m): 3:40pm On Apr 17, 2012
onatisi: i have said this so many times the fact that some ppl can surf the net thru their bbs does not mean they are intelligent or sensible.a perfect example is the person the brought this issue up.i work with chinese ppl and they speak the most horrible english but they get their ideas across and get the contracts.i think this guy that complains abut ikpebas english should know the victor has made a mark.the poster shuld know that his or her future is gradually melting away in idleness.
ahn ahn? Future ke? for wetin na? becos of one post??

Let me quote you, "that some ppl can surf the net thru their bbs does not mean they are intelligent or sensible", and you perfectly echo such trait with this reply of yours. How idle can you be to troll an idle man's thread? Or wait, you are replying this thread while "busy" at work? Yes, I own a BB....stick with your china phone, atleast e dey browse too! just go buy N100 BB case and you sef fit feel among! grin...you work with or for chinese people? hope they slave drive you well?...surprised you get time to browse nairaland sef!
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Maleeq(m): 3:43pm On Apr 17, 2012
onatisi: i think the poster should be asked this question.does he feel he will ever achieve anything in his or her life time that will make an international cable tv bring him to their studios?i dont think he will if he continues criticising successful people.he will remain a nl critic for life
cry
Thanks...I'd buzz you when I get there! Just hope you'd be trolling nairaland as a critic's critic still! tongue
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Maleeq(m): 3:45pm On Apr 17, 2012
Kassidy90: @op pls hw much do u make monthly wit ur good command of english.....abeg free d guy jooor, english is nt his birth language....
emmmm....emmmm...enuff to pay my DSTV subscription!!! grin

1 Like

Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by puplin(f): 3:53pm On Apr 17, 2012
afam4eva:

Let me be frank, your post reeks of inferiority complex. So, official language is now more important that your indegenous language? The reason why Africans will keep carrying the rest of the world on their head.
What are u saying dude....would u rather have him analyse sports in his mother tongue? He's communicating a message to a wider audience not his townsmen alone...so u see why he has to improve. Hell, so you'll say you're proud of Dame too cuz English isn't her mother tongue? If everyone were to go about speaking their mother tongue, don't u think it'd be weird? This is Nigeria, not Iboland, Yorubaland or Hausaland n d rest.
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Afam4eva(m): 3:56pm On Apr 17, 2012
puplin: What are u saying dude....would u rather have him analyse sports in his mother tongue? He's communicating a message to a wider audience not his townsmen alone...so u see why he has to improve. Hell, so you'll say you're proud of Dame too cuz English isn't her mother tongue? If everyone were to go about speaking their mother tongue, don't u think it'd be weird? This is Nigeria, not Iboland, Yorubaland or Hausaland n d rest.

If you watch Aouth African TV very well, you'll notice how they use English and their local language inter-changeably. The most important thing is that he's communicating. Let's cut the dude some slack. In an ideal setting, we shouldn't even be speaking English as if our lives depend on it.
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by valdprof: 3:58pm On Apr 17, 2012
This is an incurable nigerian malady;Always viewing issues from monetary point of view.What's the point dwelling on mediocrity and incompetence.this is why we are still backward in the comity of nations.Ikpeba might be rich,but that does not neutralize the culpability of his faux pax.Many a student watch tv just to learn new grammatical swags, and ikpeba syndrome does not augur well for them.Grammar is not wealth but knowledge is unassailable.The guy should fix his loopholes.....prof obi, chigago

1 Like

Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by ezotik: 4:00pm On Apr 17, 2012
btw, @op what was so terrible about the grammar

1. Can Wigan maintain d 'temple' of d game?
-- nigerian sportscasters use that term always, meaning "can wigan maintain the pace of the game?"
2. I think they deserve to Lost against Wigan
-- "lost" could have been a slip of tongue
3. I expect Walcokk to chine
-- "chine" his urhobo/isoko accent came out. big fvcking deal!

so what was so terrible that made u feel bad for him?
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by puplin(f): 4:06pm On Apr 17, 2012
afam4eva:

If you watch Aouth African TV very well, you'll notice how they use English and their local language inter-changeably. The most important thing is that he's communicating. Let's cut the dude some slack. In an ideal setting, we shouldn't even be speaking English as if our lives depend on it.
Credit to him anyway, not everyone can speak in front of the camera...hehehe. His diction apart, i think an analyst isn't really supposed to take sides....just give us your view of the game. Ikpeba just says whatever however. If you ask me, for an ex-pro....Fashanu does better.
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by souleymon(m): 4:07pm On Apr 17, 2012
Maleeq:
That you take time out to write this epistle up makes me not faceless after all! Self pity? Please...it strikes me as though you've got serious issues of your own to air such inference from, in my opinion, a loose statement aimed not at prodding the accomplishment of the star, but for a cheap humor for the day! Loosen up kido!
[size=34pt][/size]

Thank God i understand every bit of your word.You speak alot of grammar
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Nickydrake(m): 4:09pm On Apr 17, 2012
Richvkunt: Victor Ikpeba was a great footballer but he certainly is a below average football analyst.
Apart from his poor English and poor pronunciation of words,he fails to be professional in his analysis of football matches.
It is so easy to notice that he is completely biased towards anything concerning Manchester United and totally obsessed with them.
On the other hand his co analyst Segun Agbede is so pro united that the two of them succeed in turning the sports chat segment into a battle between two football fans just lucky to speak into a microphone.
Next season Supersports need to up their game and get professionals to run that segment of the programme,or better leave us to watch the original analysis from the EPL studios abroad.
Right now Victor and Segun are an insult to all premium subscription holders on DSTV.
Whenever they come on I just turn down the volume of my TV set.

I noticed this for the first time during the half-time analysis of United's game away to Blackburn. He kept hinting at an existing romance between Ferguson and the officials (albeit in less enlightened terms).

Perhaps in a bid to give his biased tirade the semblance of an objective analysis, he remarked concerning a particularly impressive save the United Goalie had made:

''That was a great SAVINGS from De Gea''. grin
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by adeyak83(m): 4:16pm On Apr 17, 2012
@ poster: You be greatest mumu, abeg go sidown jare, na english we go chop?
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Maleeq(m): 4:21pm On Apr 17, 2012
souleymon: [size=34pt][/size]

Thank God i understand every bit of your word.You speak alot of grammar

You do? Wow...He is a miracle working God!
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by kevyngbash(m): 4:23pm On Apr 17, 2012
Mr Poster,

please ask Messi to speak english?

Can you speak and write your language?

Ikpeba could be more contented in life than you: that is the ultimate purpose. Ikpeba is a million times more exposed than you are.

Please focus on your job and stop running people down.

Even if it is a sin he has committed, r u so faultless as to be the one to run him down.

Hide your face.
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Maleeq(m): 4:25pm On Apr 17, 2012
adeyak83: @ poster: You be greatest mumu, abeg go sidown jare, na english we go chop?
Thanks. Your "words of wisdom" have been noted. Please report back to you cage at Yaba leftside. #oponu oshi
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by ezotik: 4:25pm On Apr 17, 2012
valdprof: This is an incurable nigerian malady;Always viewing issues from monetary point of view.What's the point dwelling on mediocrity and incompetence.this is why we are still backward in the comity of nations.Ikpeba might be rich,but that does not neutralize the culpability of his faux pax.Many a student watch tv just to learn new grammatical swags, and ikpeba syndrome does not augur well for them.Grammar is not wealth but knowledge is unassailable.The guy should fix his loopholes.....prof obi, chigago

prof from chigago, and they didnt teach u to leave a space after any punctuation in school? and that failing to do so constitutes bad grammar in written english? faux pax my yansh. btw, "faux pax" is incorrect, it is "faux pas." fake prof, abeg commot for road.
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Maleeq(m): 4:33pm On Apr 17, 2012
kevyngbash: Mr Poster,

please ask Messi to speak english?

Can you speak and write your language?

Ikpeba could be more contented in life than you: that is the ultimate purpose. Ikpeba is a million times more exposed than you are.

Please focus on your job and stop running people down.

Even if it is a sin he has committed, r u so faultless as to be the one to run him down.

Hide your face.
..and you are the "righteous" one to point our my fault in this tone? Being contented is relative and I can see you certainly aint with you mediocre little life. Did I take a jab at his accomplishment?
Hide my face? Take a look this face...its a skin you wish you had...now wake up!
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by ezotik: 4:47pm On Apr 17, 2012
Maleeq:
..and you are the "righteous" one to point our my fault in this tone? Being contented is relative and I can see you certainly aint with you mediocre little life. Did I take a jab at his accomplishment?
Hide my face? Take a look this face...its a skin you wish you had...now wake up!

mr perfect grammar, something is missing in that line. it is missing "at"

so u don broke ogo be dat...

[img]http://4.bp..com/_7pRUvIUClC8/TL9bHxbmSVI/AAAAAAAAAjc/32DMFU-mjU8/s1600/broken-beer-bottle-0424209-lg.jpg[/img]

oya make u take this broom and sweep am right away..

Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Maleeq(m): 4:59pm On Apr 17, 2012
ezotik:

mr perfect grammar, something is missing in that line. it is missing "at"

so u don broke ogo be dat...

[img]http://4.bp..com/_7pRUvIUClC8/TL9bHxbmSVI/AAAAAAAAAjc/32DMFU-mjU8/s1600/broken-beer-bottle-0424209-lg.jpg[/img]

oya make u take this broom and sweep am right away..

Hahahahaha...I haf fall my hand o! sad
*now sweeping...
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by NaijaNaWaa: 5:01pm On Apr 17, 2012
Victor Ikpeba was a great footballer not a communicator nor professor of English. He is neither an Englishman nor a literary guru. As long as he communicates I don't care if he speaks in pigin or Igbo or kwale. Please give him a break.

Ikpeba if you're reading, count me as one of your fans. Anyone that knew you in your days will have nothing but respect for you.
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by ezotik: 5:02pm On Apr 17, 2012
Maleeq:

grin grin ahhh... in fact u broke plenty ogo there oo. not only one grin grin
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Maleeq(m): 5:11pm On Apr 17, 2012
ezotik:

grin grin ahhh... in fact u broke plenty ogo there oo. not only one grin grin
Chei...e be like say I go run comot this place o! @ezotik dem send you? grin
Emmmmm....emmmmm....but typo-error different from verbal ballistics now? smiley let's blame it on my "shiner" phone abeg! tongue
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by ezotik: 5:12pm On Apr 17, 2012
Maleeq:
Hahahahaha...I haf fall my hand o! sad
*now sweeping...

yes o... keep sweeping. the ogo u break plenty full ground. grin grin grin

Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by ezotik: 5:18pm On Apr 17, 2012
Maleeq:
Emmmmm....emmmmm....but typo-error different from verbal ballistics now? smiley let's blame it on my "shiner" phone abeg! tongue

u see, that is why it is not good to hold people to such a high standard coz at the end of the day u cant even maintain the standard u are holding others to. typo-error is no different from slip of tongue or "verbal ballistics" as you put it. an error is an error.
anyways, later.
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Maleeq(m): 5:24pm On Apr 17, 2012
ezotik:

u see, that is why it is not good to hold people to such a high standard coz at the end of the day u cant even maintain the standard u are holding others to. typo-error is no different from slip of tongue or "verbal ballistics" as you put it. an error is an error.
anyways, later.
Alright bro! Cheers!

Now that's a fellow with content! Not those raining fury...I get una umbrella sha! *singing: rain rain come again o!
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Nobody: 5:34pm On Apr 17, 2012
@ OP he be like way u make big mistake posting this topic ooooo
See tongue lashing
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Emylexray(m): 5:48pm On Apr 17, 2012
Maleeq:
now you see man? Being victim of a similar grammatical blunder you highlighted in Ikpeba's speech. ''THE VERY MOMENT WE THINK WE KNOW IT ALL, THAT'S WHEN OUR FOOLERY STARTS'' inasmuch as we are humans, we are bound by nature to make mistakes. Good you accepted your error. Cheers!
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by chelseabmw(m): 9:15pm On Apr 17, 2012
but seriously that guy english is very bad.......No offense
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by valdprof: 12:25am On Apr 18, 2012
ezotik:

prof from chigago, and they didnt teach u to leave a space after any punctuation in school? and that failing to do so constitutes bad grammar in written english? faux pax my yansh. btw, "faux pax" is incorrect, it is "faux pas." fake prof, abeg commot for road.
Mr cantankerous critic.I didn't say I'm infallible.I was only trying to decry the tradition of complacency in Nigeria.I cede 50percent acquiescence on your assertions.'An eagle-eyed scholar indeed.Thumbs up to you
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by AlabaSlim: 2:57am On Apr 18, 2012
@op
he dat THINKETH HE STANDZ take HEED lest he FALLZ
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by Nobody: 9:06am On Apr 18, 2012
Maleeq:

Unsurprisingly, the buffoon has grammar challenges of his own. However, being the inferior creature that he is, he would prefer to nitpick others' flaws in order to derive some kind of perverse fulfilment. You need help, urgently.
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by NiharGomez: 11:41am On Apr 18, 2012
Used car sales in Gauteng, South Africa. Cars Auto Buy is closed car dealer network in Gauteng region, provides with latest available deals for demo & used cars for sale in Pretoria, Johannesburg and other Gauteng area. Second hand motor car dealers online. http://www.carsautobuy.co.za/
Re: Victor Ikpeba And His Grammar Skills On TV by kaxqua(m): 1:18pm On Apr 18, 2012
This is someone speaking on television for Christ sake. His grammar makes me cover my face sometimes. When he was analyzing the said game, Arsenal V Wigan you could almost switch off the T.V. His grammar and analysis of the game was very poor. SuperSports needs to do better or give us the foreign analysis we normally enjoy abeg.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Already 93 Goals, Will Ronaldo Beat International Record Of 109 Goals? / Police Arrests Robbers Who Attacked Ogenyi Onazi's Home In Jos / Norway Players Protest Against Human Rights Abuse In Qatar (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.