Stats: 3,156,358 members, 7,829,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari (14023 Views)

Grand Plot: Obasanjo's Manifest Of A Coup- By Yinka Odumakin / Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? / Today In History: Major Gideon Orkar's Coup. 21 Years After. (2) (3) (4)

Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by naptu2: 11:04pm On Apr 21, 2012
You can also read more about the coup here http://www.dawodu.com/omoigui8.htm
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by jmaine: 4:42am On Apr 22, 2012
Awesome read . . .
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by Johndoe100(m): 4:48am On Apr 22, 2012
jmaine: Awesome read . . .

Yes it is.
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by jason123: 5:24am On Apr 22, 2012
Thanks guys!
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by Nobody: 5:44am On Apr 22, 2012
Coup ko.
Throw those lazy morafcukers some free amnesty money, problem solved. At the end of the day, the suffering citizens don't get to see one penny.
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by Beaf: 5:55am On Apr 22, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Coup ko.
Throw those lazy morafcukers some free amnesty money, problem solved. At the end of the day, the suffering citizens don't get to see one penny.
Everybody, please ignore this post and posts from similar attention seeking animals. Thanks.
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by Nobody: 5:56am On Apr 22, 2012
Beaf:
Everybody, please ignore this post and posts from similar attention seeking animals. Thanks.

Tribalist, you'd do good to heed to your own advice. So, how many Aregbesola thread have you stepped in today?
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by edoyad(m): 6:02am On Apr 22, 2012
Orkar Coup? that's a misnomer. Yes he played a prominent role by taking the Radio house but to be honest,calling it his Coup isn't doing Justice to the real planners and Executors. It was more of Benin-Delta uprising .
But then again, who am I to rename history?
I don't understand why they didn't just blow up all communication lines in the Country, surely they ought to have made those provisions. Considering how they even got arms, I can appreciate their Handicapped situation though.
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by naptu2: 6:12am On Apr 22, 2012
edoyad: Orkar Coup? that's a misnomer. Yes he played a prominent role by taking the Radio house but to be honest,calling it his Coup isn't doing Justice to the real planners and Executors. It was more of Benin-Delta uprising .
But then again, who am I to rename history?

That's what usually happens. There is a saying, "a coup is like an elephant", you only see the side closest to you.

The "Nzeogwu coup" was actually led by Ifeajuna, the "Gowon coup" was actually led by Murtala Muhammed, the "Murtala coup", was actually led by Joe Garba, SM Yar'Adua and others and the "Orkar coup" was actually led by Mukoro.

Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by naptu2: 6:16am On Apr 22, 2012
If a coup fails, the public will name the coup after the person who made the coup speech, if it succeeds, they'll name the coup after the person who becomes head of state, but the coup might have been the brain child of another person.

Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by naptu2: 6:27am On Apr 22, 2012
This thread emanated from discussions on another thread. Kilode asked how come coups planned by middle level officers are rarely successful, while coups by generals usually succeed. This was my response.

"It's much easier for senior officers to mobilise resources for a coup. The coups staged by middle ranking officers usually failed because of little inadequacies or mistakes, eg, failure to cut telephone lines, failure to arrest key personalities, failure to get the keys of the armoured car garage @ Ikeja, etc.

Generals usually position their minions in sensitive positions well in advance of the coup. They are there, waiting for d day to strike.

Middle ranking officers have to make do with make-shift arrangements.

Babangida planned for his coup well in advance. He knew that the NSO was loyal to Buhari, so he positioned Akilu in DMI to counter NSO. He planted his man in the Brigade of Guards, to neutralise the commander who was loyal to Buhari. Middle level officers don't have the ability to do all these".

I was quite close to Dodan Barracks on the day this coup took place (I was woken by explosions). At 7 am I knew that the coup would fail. My aunt who lived close to Flag Staff House called to say that there were soldiers in the bushes in front of her house. The phone rang! Clearly the coup would fail cos Babangida's commanders would be able to call each other.

In 1966, Ironsi had to move his headquarters to Police Headquarters, Moloney, just so that he could communicate with his commanders.
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by Nobody: 6:54am On Apr 22, 2012
The only coup that's ever been planned by mid-level officers was the 'Orkar'(Mukoro) coup
All others were initiated by generals including the 'Nzeogwu'(Ifeajuna) coup.
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by Onlytruth(m): 7:01am On Apr 22, 2012
careytommy: The only coup that's ever been planned by mid-level officers was the 'Orkar'(Mukoro) coup
All others were initiated by generals including the 'Nzeogwu'(Ifeajuna) coup.

Sir, maybe this part of Nigerian history skips me a little. Would you mind naming the "General" that initiated the Nzeogwu/Ifeajuna coup?
Thank you for a quick answer sir.

Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by naptu2: 7:06am On Apr 22, 2012
Three coups have been planned by middle ranking officers, the "Nzeowgu Coup", the "Vatsa Coup" (although General Vatsa was not involved) and the "Orkar Coup".

At the time of the Nzeogwu coup, Ironsi was a Major General, Maimalari was a Brigadier, Ademulegun was a Brigadier, Ogundipe was a Brigadier. Adebayo, Kur Mohammed and Shodeinde were Colonels. Banjo, Fajuyi, Gowon, Ojukwu, Njoku and Largema were Lieutenant Colonels.

Ademoyega, Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna and co were Majors.

(Fajuyi and Banjo were sympathetic to the coup, but did not play an active part).
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by naptu2: 7:11am On Apr 22, 2012
I have testimonies of soldiers, but unfortunately I can't share that with you, but pls click here for the Vatsa Conspiracy http://www.dawodu.com/vatsa.htm
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by Onlytruth(m): 7:24am On Apr 22, 2012
Where is careytommy? lol
He as an Easterner should know better than to lie and change history thinking he can get away with it.
It is irresponsible and dumb to attempt such. angry
The truth is that Nzeogwu/Ifeajuna coup remains the pioneer junior officer coup in Nigeria. Every other junior officer coup basically tried to copy them and make a few amends in the stratagem, but the spirit remained the same.
The "Orkar coup" was almost a mirror image of the Nzeogwu coup except the part of excision of Northern Nigeria and killing of politicians and military assets who may resist.
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by naptu2: 7:30am On Apr 22, 2012
You might be interested in reading

"Why We Struck: The Story of The First Nigerian Coup" by Major Adewale Ademoyega (one of the coup planners) published by Evans Brothers Nigeria Limited (1981).

"Danjuma: The Making of a General" by Lindsay Barrett, published by Fourth Dimension Publishing Co Ltd (1979).

"Beckoned To Serve" by Shehu Shagari (2001)

And also the links below.

Special Branch report http://www.dawodu.com/nzeogwu.htm

Operation Aure by Nowa Omoigui http://www.dawodu.com/omoigui13.htm

Operation Aure Postscripts (Interview with the Colonel) by Nowa Omoigui http://www.dawodu.com/omoigui36.htm

The Inside Story of Nigeria's First Military Coup by Max Siollun http://www.kwenu.com/publications/siollun/1966_coup1.htm
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by aljharem(m): 8:16am On Apr 22, 2012
[size=14pt]Chineke !!!![/size] shocked shocked shocked

Seriously, the Northern leaders have messed up big time. The country would not be peaceful for everyone is not seen as equals. That is the reality.

Now I know why BEAF's get angry when I support these people. You cannot be tribalistic, parasitic and expect the country to love you. It does not happen anywhere in the world and it would not start from Nigeria . Again Beaf I apologise for my previous position.

Take a look at Sheriff's house (Gov of borno) and go to Bama etc see poverty.

Northern youths need to wake up.
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by naptu2: 9:45am On Apr 22, 2012
Sorry, I forgot to include these two links

Witness to History (L.t Col M.O Nzefili) by Nowa Omoigui http://www.dawodu.com/omoigui50.htm

Vatsa Conspiracy Bio-Sketches http://www.dawodu.com/nowa2.htm
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by noiseless: 10:01am On Apr 22, 2012
Alhj Harem, is your laptop stolen or what?
alj harem: [size=14pt]Chineke !!!![/size] shocked shocked shocked

Seriously, the Northern leaders have messed up big time. The country would not be peaceful for everyone is not seen as equals. That is the reality.

Now I know why BEAF's get angry when I support these people. You cannot be tribalistic, parasitic and expect the country to love you. It does not happen anywhere in the world and it would not start from Nigeria . Again Beaf I apologise for my previous position.

Take a look at Sheriff's house (Gov of borno) and go to Bama etc see poverty.

Northern youths need to wake up.
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by jmaine: 10:06am On Apr 22, 2012
noiseless: Alhj Harem, is your laptop stolen or what?

lol . .are you trying to say his account has been hacked . . . .grin
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by naptu2: 10:13am On Apr 22, 2012
Dimka's coup was also executed by middle ranking officers, although Major General I.D Bisalla was involved.

http://www.dawodu.com/dimka.htm
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by noiseless: 12:44pm On Apr 22, 2012
Aah! Bro,can you imagine that? But then you know what he does best waite til his cult members come, so you will see if he could stand by his word.
jmaine:

lol . .are you trying to say his account has been hacked . . . .grin
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by aljharem(m): 4:10pm On Apr 22, 2012
noiseless: Alhj Harem, is your laptop stolen or what?

No, no one has hacked my account. I am a progressive and I see a bigger picture in issues that affect my beloved country. Reading the article is kinda touching and I would not want my people to be discriminated against so why should I support it for other ?

Yes IBB is indeed the evil plaguing this nation of ours. Yes I have agreed with Beaf on several occasions but BEAF is a Bigot and that is the point I detach myself from him
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by alex14(m): 4:15pm On Apr 22, 2012
Going through this thread has finally made me realise that most nigerians lack the gift of discerning statements. How can people not realise the following IDs are operated by one jobless and frustrated goon stuck in London:

shymexxx=bittyend=jason123=brixtone=alh harem

*SMH*
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by aljharem(m): 4:15pm On Apr 22, 2012
alex_101: Going through this thread has finally made me realise that most nigerians lack the gift of discerning statements. How can people not realise the following IDs are operated by one jobless and frustrated goon stuck in London:

*SMH*

What !!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by Beaf: 4:17pm On Apr 22, 2012
alex_101: Going through this thread has finally made me realise that most nigerians lack the gift of discerning statements. How can people not realise the following IDs are operated by one jobless and frustrated goon stuck in London:

*SMH*
No, alh harem is a houseboy in Idimu, Agege.

Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by aljharem(m): 4:18pm On Apr 22, 2012
What !!! shocked shocked shocked *still in shock*

Alj harem 5 people in One shocked shocked shocked na wa ooooo !!!!

Oga discerning mind
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by aljharem(m): 4:20pm On Apr 22, 2012
I wonder when Alj harem would be naptu2 and co as well

You people are just stressing yourselves. I only us one ID to deal with una. I have told you countless times.

London ke grin grin

really, I don tire smiley
Re: The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari by noiseless: 7:12pm On Apr 22, 2012
Yea yea! Don't even try to be clever now once a bigot always a bigot, so make the most of this thread we know know how you operate.
alj harem: I wonder when Alj harem would be naptu2 and co as well

You people are just stressing yourselves. I only us one ID to deal with una. I have told you countless times.

London ke grin grin

really, I don tire smiley

Police Intercept Bomb-Laden Car In Kano / Accord Party Sacks Doyin Okupe / Osinbajo Is A Pastor Only By Name — Femi Fani Kayode