Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,137 members, 7,818,426 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

Is Life Really Better Abroad? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Really Better Abroad? (43848 Views)

Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better off Than Their Home Based Counterparts? / Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better Than Their Home Based Counterpart / What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by vichel(m): 11:26pm On Mar 29, 2006
I could be a resident too, all i need is a lousy state ID
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by oasis: 11:30pm On Mar 29, 2006
You need more than that. Usually you need US residence + 2 years of cali residence + proof of intension to stay + ,
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by BellaRouge(f): 11:43pm On Mar 29, 2006
@ego
ego:

Perhaps it's the conveniences electricity, water, but before these were available, we didn't miss them did we? We managed to do incredible stuff like build pyramids out of groundnuts, villagers drinking from streams outlive us town folk by decades, so are we better off with our light and water?

Safety? when we're attacked in Lagos, we move abroad, and get splattered all over the highway courtesy of the suicide bomber who was sharing our seat on the bus.

I agree that Nigeria is one great big study in contradictions. Nothing works, yet everything functions. Poor as dirt, incredibly wealthy. But, that's the beauty of us. We make the most of what we've got. Take it from someone who has lived outside of Nigeria and has chosen to come home: Life is not better anywhere, It's what you make of it right there where you are.

@ Bella Rouge
By the time the choice is up to you, come and visit. You might like it enough to stay, or be cured of your home sickness wink

You live in Nigeria, right? Do you think that the situation has improved over the last five years? Is electricity and water more available?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 1:09am On Mar 30, 2006
I think we need to take it one by one.

I will take UK education in a detailed thread before the end of the week.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Badman888(m): 3:04am On Mar 30, 2006
It depends on different things abroad has its advantages and disadvantages
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by sage(m): 5:46am On Mar 30, 2006
Men u guyz should stop beign sentimental here.

THERE IS NO COMPARISON UNLESS U R MEGA RICH. 4 THE AVERAGE MAN LIFE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER IN THE WEST. IF U DONT THINK SO, PACK UR BAGS AND RELOCATE TO NAIJA.

The western nations dont compare to naija in anyway jeeeeeeeeez.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by oasis: 6:28am On Mar 30, 2006
Men u guys should stop beign sentimental here.

THERE IS NO COMPARISON UNLESS U R MEGA RICH. 4 THE AVERAGE MAN LIFE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER IN THE WEST. IF U DONT THINK SO, PACK UR BAGS AND RELOCATE TO NAIJA.

The western nations don't compare to naija in anyway jeeeeeeeeez.

You just commited the worst sin against diehard Naijaphiliacs.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by lioness(f): 10:55am On Mar 30, 2006
@ ope_emi

so do i get to be first lady grin grin grin

[
Quote from: lioness on Yesterday at 03:10:13 PM
whats this crap people keep saying about contributing to better 9jia
The poor man who has got none should contribute his blood ??

Anywayz, if you guys will make me first lady [not to OBJ o ], I will come back.

Well as they say a poor man is a lazy man. If u don't work u won't be paid.

U might want to talk of where the will get the job,but let me tell u, u start from the craps.
For example,the brazilian president was once a showmaker. He started from some where before God lifted him up. So don't say that I am crap or those that said the same thing I said.

THEY ARE TELLING U FACT./quote]
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by romeo(m): 11:23am On Mar 30, 2006
primary education is free in most western countries, maybe those of them in the UK go to private schools !!
and they think it's the same world wide and talking about tax return, i had gotten mine for the past 5 years i applied for one here in Spain and i bought a property here and i am entitled to a kind of compensation for being less than 35 years, the house being less than 180.000 euros, and being less than 120 square meter. who is going to return tax for you in naija and where in naija are you going to be paid money for buying Ur own house?? this is Europe and life is better off in abroad, even the fishes know that or the wild animals too, because everybody just want to eat them here in naija, even domestic ones like dogs, ewoooooo
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 1:29pm On Mar 30, 2006
@Akolawale

And your point is? UK education thread to explain what? Education is free up to a point. And in the US as long as you live in the community you do not only go to K-12 for free, you get picked up every morning for free. Please there is simply no comparison. I do not think that any of us here would pack our bags from the US and leave for a "Better Life" in Nigeria. But Nigerians Line up in the Thousands everyday for a chance to leave their country. Why?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Badman888(m): 1:38pm On Mar 30, 2006
If they are good Jobs in Nigeria alot of people would go back few might still want to stay but if you have your money in Nigeria you would enjoy it better. People always say Nigerians should come back home and build their country how when there is nothing to start with.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Mar 30, 2006
From the educational angle alone, i'd rather die here than go back to that piece of crap called higher institutions back home. imagine, in just less than one yr i have learnt 100X more than most of my proffessors back home, i remember vividly sitting for my first biochem class in grad school here and i was like, what in the whole wide world is this guy talking about? despite having a bachelors deg in science from naija.
if u have ever been interested in science, then u know what it means to be frustrated at not having the basic tools and equipment to work with, no textbooks to read and no science journals to keep up with current trends in science.
I remember having to spend my first summer in grad skul learning how to use a pippete and weighing balance, i remember having to tell my first PI i had no lab experience and him staring at me like i came from another planet. i remember attending a seminar where virtually all my other colleagues had never seen or used the manual glass pippetes that i was lucky to have in college in naija.
i look back at all i have been able to achieve in 9 months, the number of papers read, textbooks covered, experiments done and my eagerness to probe further the mechanisms of lung diseases and yet someone tells me naija is better than here.

I get paid to attend grad school here, i know i am guaranteed a job well before i graduate, i am assured of a stable well paying job after i am thru whether in industry or academia, i can look forward to long fulfilling yrs of research ahead of me.
I don't need naija or baba, my kids will know were there father comes from, they will go to lagos one day but they never will go thru the horror of living in that local hellhole called nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by whiteroses(f): 2:39pm On Mar 30, 2006
@ davidalyn is higher institution in nigeria that bad? please tell me cos i'm just thinking of going back for my university. i'm waiting
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Mar 30, 2006
whiteroses:

@ davidalyn is higher institution in nigeria that bad? please tell me because i'm just thinking of going back for my university. i'm waiting

What are u going back to? Which country are u presently in? are there no schools there? If you are coming back to study anything remotely science, forget it and stay where u are!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by whiteroses(f): 2:44pm On Mar 30, 2006
from uk. thanks i got u gotta go
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Badman888(m): 2:45pm On Mar 30, 2006
just stay back there
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by gidig(m): 4:06pm On Mar 30, 2006
As interesting as this topic is, we will never come to an agreement because the most critical factor is the human element and not really the location .The location only makes for a realistic response from the people who dwell there.

We have argued this on another forum and I think that it still depends on the people.There are some who will never pursue any goal because of a mental block that 'this is nigeria' and people like us dont make it without knowing somebody. They may make a better life of themsleves if they are living in a coutry where everything works fine and they needn't bother about the very basic things of Life that our friends abroad take for granted.

I live in Nigeria .My friends and I -with raw determination and faith in God-are building our own business.we still have the usual problems but we know that it is an oppurtuntiy to be extra special and demand more from within ourselves.It requires a great deal of creativity to do things in this parts and that is what scares the living daylight out of people.

No nation will ever be perfect as long as they are run by people and not Angels.What is the sum total of your experiences are the manifestations of thoughts of people.Living abroad has its many benefits and drawbacks so is living in Nigeria.What we see and the way we see them will be determined by us.No one should feel inferior to others who live elsewhere neither should one feel superior because they now live abroad.It is a question of our perception.

In the words of Benson Idahosa, a Lizard in Nigeria will not become an Alligator by traveling to America.

Guys! The answer is within!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Mar 30, 2006
In the words of Benson Idahosa, a Lizard in Nigeria will not become an Alligator by traveling to America.

Men! The answer is within!

Well written and i concur, however i will remind you not to apply for US visa lottery this yr since the answer is within.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by otokx(m): 6:04pm On Mar 30, 2006
some people are making billions of dollars here in nigeria so what is all the noise. MKO Abiola was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth yet he has left an inheritance to all his unborn ancestors. How about chris uba in anambra state?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 7:07pm On Mar 30, 2006
Whiteroses

Please stay in the UK or Scotland for your higher education. It is not wise to go back home now, except you cannot afford to school abroad, then i guess u have to make that call.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Mar 30, 2006
otokx:

some people are making billions of dollars here in nigeria so what is all the noise. MKO Abiola was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth yet he has left an inheritance to all his unborn ancestors. How about chris uba in anambra state?

Your argument holds no water. MKO made money via fraud (remember he and Obasanjo where the ones attacked in Fela's song ITT).

Chris Uba? An illiterate whose only claim to millions is not hardwork but being related to the President. A political thug who openly subverts the democratic will of the pple?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by gidig(m): 9:11pm On Mar 30, 2006
[[color=#770077]color=#006600]Well written and i concur, however i will remind you not to apply for US visa lottery this yr since the answer is within[/color

I have never applied for the US visa before and I will not except on a vacation, even though i do not have the money yet.It has nothing to do with pride.It is just the sense of mission that I have and the kinds of things that drive me.I have friends all over the world and we respect the choices that we have made.I love my country and i do not intend to apologise to anyone for my commitment.

The Enahoros, Awolowos,Ahmendu Bellos responsibility was to secure the political emancipation of Nigeria.It is the duty of our generation to secure the economic emancipation of our country and I intend to be a part of it.Nigeria is a businessman's paradise-if you can look very well.The problem is that the Nigerians(especially those in diaospora) are not taking advantage of the things that the South Africans are doing well to be a part of.

Nigeria is going to come out so strong that some of the people on this page will be so embarrased.It is happeneing already.

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Idekeson(m): 10:01pm On Mar 30, 2006
otokx:

some people are making billions of dollars here in nigeria so what is all the noise. How about chris uba in anambra state?

Some people surely know how to "yarn" rubbish! It's due to folks like you that Nigeria's future looks grime.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by oasis: 10:11pm On Mar 30, 2006
The problem is that the Nigerians(especially those in diaospora) are not taking advantage of the things that the South Africans are doing well to be a part of.

Nigeria is going to come out so strong that some of the people on this page will be so embarrased.It is happeneing already.

We've heard the the same argument over and over, about how people abroad are not contributing.  Enough already. 

Do you think someone living abroad, who sends N1,000,000 home yearly to help family, is doing less than somebody else who lives in Nigeria and earns N200,000 a year?

You have got to be kidding!

If you're abroad and doing well, stay abroad.  Nigeria is not ready for development.  You'd do more for Nigeria living abroad, than if you live in Nigeria.

I'd know Nigeria is ready when the government stops siphoning our wealth into foreign banks.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by oasis: 10:13pm On Mar 30, 2006
some people are making billions of dollars here in nigeria so what is all the noise.

Money stolen, is not money made.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 11:13pm On Mar 30, 2006
@Gidig

What exactly do you want me to come and take advantage of? I have a Bachelors degree and make more money than i have made in my life right now. Please tell me what my alternative or what i am coming home to do. The US is already developed and there is opportunities i can take advantages of everywhere. What is my Opportunity cost.

@Oasis

U make very good points. Some here is able to work and send $4000 a year to his family is better than making money locally and is not able to stretch his income as far.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Hotstepper(f): 4:49am On Mar 31, 2006
whoz talking about CHRIS UBA, please I don't want to hear that name here. This people should be asked how they make money, business but an unknown business, u r dere saying people are making billions of dollars in Nigeria while there are those that can't eat, nonsense, If I get a good job here, i stay and If I get in Nigeria i go period, Nigeria is not like how it used 2 be as in every1 looking after eachother as in when "I" used to be "WE"
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by lioness(f): 9:04am On Mar 31, 2006
@ hotstepper, Tell them girl.   grin

When i was in 9jia, who knew me Who helped me or my family, even when our case was tabled before the State government. 9jia doesnt know the poor people. 9jia knows the big names who have stolen all the money.

Now i dey here dey manage my life, someone is saying i should come home and make billion of dollars ,,,,,,,, that na story grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by gidig(m): 9:34am On Mar 31, 2006
Somethigh of my last message must have been lost by the thing said about people coming home and all that.The issues are clear: Nigeria is not as develoed as America or the UK.true! There are two possibilities from there;it either gets better or it gets worse.
I will not suggests to someone that he or she should come back to develop the coutry;that is not what I meant.Only governments say that and really ,it is not practical.

This is the crux of the matter as I will like to re-present it again. We cant all travel out. It is possible that Nigeria can get better or worse depending on what you are looking at.Even for all of the comfort the developde world offers,there are instances where those things are shaken. Are there poor people in those countries too? Yes!!Do they have their challenges? Yes!!When Katrina happened in New Orleans, people suffered more because they were poor and not just because they did not know that the water was coming.Was that Nigeria?Where that to happen in Nigeria, I can imagine what some people will say!

Forget Chris Uba. Are there not people in Nigeria who are making it against the odd? THings are not perfect yet and they may never be but If the people are determined to do what they need to do,the sky is the limit.

Recently Indians are contributing to the list of Global billionaires.You should all knwo that India stiull has some 'NEPA' problems as well and one enterpreneur interviewed said it might take about 12 years to ahave full electricity.

What is being said is that therev are e people who have chosen to live their lives in spite of all these and make a future for themsleves.Do not suggests that they have made a bad choice.

I have friends who have given up all to go to LOndon and there are Nigerians there doing very well too but some of theses guys -apart from the excahnge rate that is 250 to 1- have nothing to suggests that they are beter than their coleagues.

Have you not even notice that London is the vacation spot for Nigeria workers now? What wil happen if the excahnge rate stabilizes?
I need to know from you guys.

Don't ever give up on Nigeria or Nigerians for that matter.We are a stronbg people.We will come out of this.It is happening already!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ynot(m): 2:37pm On Mar 31, 2006
Blah Blah Blah. Another pep talk.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Hotstepper(f): 10:04pm On Mar 31, 2006
Am personally not given up on Nigeria, I believe things will change tongue Infact, am one of those insane ones as people say that have about 3-4 yrz 2 stay here tongue
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by oasis: 10:13pm On Mar 31, 2006
Am personally not given up on Nigeria, I believe things will change Infact, am one of those insane ones as people say that have about 3-4 yrz 2 stay here

What is that statement based on besides fate?

What do you envisage is going to change about Nigeria, that'd make your statement valid?

Do you see our leaders putting a stop to all the looting of our resources?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Flying From Abuja To Port Harcourt: Nairalander Observation: Pictures & Video / Man Celebrates His Sixth Accident With No Scratch And Got These Replies (photos) / 2 Female Police Officers Die In Car Crash While On Their Way To Akwa Ibom (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.