Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,309 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:39 AM

Is Life Really Better Abroad? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Really Better Abroad? (43760 Views)

Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better off Than Their Home Based Counterparts? / Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better Than Their Home Based Counterpart / What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Hotstepper(f): 5:10am On Apr 01, 2006
ahahha, I will go and join them HABA, is it not connection, abeg we go servive and whicheva way, I still hope and remember Nigeria in ma prayers tongue
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by my2cents(m): 5:44am On Apr 01, 2006
Having been abroad (by which I assume you mean obodo oyibo) for 10+ years, I think I can say with full confidence that life is better abroad in terms of the opportunities it presents us to succeed. Success itself is not guaranteed, but the opportunity to succeed is. As Tony Blair once said, how good a country is can be observed by how many are trying to leave, as opposed to how many are trying to enter. Based on that alone, abroad is better. If not, I challenge you to go to the US embassy at 4am on any weekday. If you no see at least 100 people for dia, make I naked baf for bafroom LOL

Home life is only better, IMHO, in terms of morals. As far as money is concerned, even working for $5 an hour is better than home. For one, even if you work for 5 minutes, you will get paid for it.

, and that's my 2 cents
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by oasis: 5:51am On Apr 01, 2006
@Hotstepper

Answer the question I asked you please.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by gidig(m): 10:13am On Apr 01, 2006
Oasis, please leave hotstepper alone jare. grin

Touche! my 2cents. you guys have points and I think that we reaching a concensus.Maybe it is because I am an enterpreneur who sees things a bit from a ownership of businesses point of view rather than getting a 9 to 5 job. In my mind and in the minds of the people who are my mentors abnd associates, we tend to look through the problems and recognise oppurtunities.

There is nothing wrong in keeping a job or living in a country where all those things are right and exact.

what I have been emphasizing is that we cannot form two teams of Nigerians and expect the best from the country.I personally do not think that the destiny of the largest black nation on earth will be left in hands of corrupt politicians.It is the activities of enterpreneurs that will build Nigeria.

A few years ago, the word on everybody's lip about China was their communism and Human rights record but today things are looking up in China and along with India, they were represented on Forbes list of global billionaires.Was the environment right? No! Russia has given the world some billionaires as well -ask any Chelsea fan- even though people claim that the country is still controlled by the state with most media outfit intimidated by the state machinery.Is evrythig right in Russia now with their wahala with chencnya and all that.

That is the light in which we must see and project Nigeria.Things are not right by the kinds of standards some of you are now used to but things can get better.Yes, you need to be a Clark Kent to live here. We wil get on.

Dont talk bad about Nigeria.We are working on the problems and things will get better.Even if you will never set foot on this country again, I respect your choice and will not abuse your adopted country.But Please for decency sake, do not call my dear country names.The realities that are true for you may not be another person's reality!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by omon(m): 10:52am On Apr 01, 2006
Those of you who have spent several years abroad and are settled seem not to be bothered about the millions of Nigerians who are severly suffering in the Diaspora. Most Nigerians who just arrived and have spent less than 4 yrs in the UK find it hard to get around. If a better life is working more than 10 hrs a day and still getting peanuts - £5/hr (by British standard), then it is ok.

This is what I think, The opportunities are here quite alright, but it is never presented to you on a platter of Gold. You have to work strenously for it just like way back in Lagos. I can also tell you of a fact that some of my professional colleagues in Nigeria earn much more than some of us in the UK.

The comfort that comes with living abroad is that basic infastructures are there when needed, but they are things you definitely have to pay for.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by segebams: 12:45pm On Apr 01, 2006
I've not been there though but comparng thngs;educatnaly,busness/job oppotunity,d gap is 2 wide.i'd rather b a servant outside than suffer inside.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by segebams: 12:56pm On Apr 01, 2006
Pls nairalanders,any1 with d idea of how i could start processn getn out of ds country,thx
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Metroman(m): 5:23pm On Apr 01, 2006
the essence of the question lies in the meaning of the word "better"

I am involved in the health sector in Nigeria. My people it is simply horrible. The Nigerian government does not have regard for human life. Average hospital bills in the government hospitals for simple and common problems could amount to a month's salary talkless of when surgery is involved and in most hospitals the average fee per day is between 700 naira and 1500 naira. Tests that abroad would take 30 minutes to come out take 3 days over here. Practising medicine here is frustrating and most people actually leave because of the frustration not just the money.

a country that pays a policeman 7000 naira a month (barely 55 dollars) and give him a gun is headed for anarchy.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Seun(m): 5:31pm On Apr 01, 2006
a country that pays a policeman 7000 naira a month (barely 55 dollars) and give him a gun is headed for anarchy.

Oh my God, this is so true! shocked
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by oasis: 5:40pm On Apr 01, 2006
Dont talk bad about Nigeria.We are working on the problems and things will get better.Even if you will never set foot on this country again, I respect your choice and will not abuse your adopted country.But Please for decency sake, do not call my dear country names.The realities that are true for you may not be another person's reality!

If people don't berrate Nigeria, would Nigeria know to get better?  To the contrary, Nigeria needs to be bashed for your currupt leaders to know what time it is.

You talk about Russia, India, etc.  Do you have any idea the opportunities provided for these people by their government?  Check out http://www.russianinternet.com/.  You'll see how many tv/radio stations from Russia broadcating live.  Then visit shoutcast and search keyword "russia".  How many Nigerian stations are broadcasting live at this time?  Well, none that I know of.  Do you know why?

It's because bandwidth in Russia is cheap, thanks to their government effort to ensure that is the case.  Food is cheap in Russia.  They have high quality roads.  They have 24/7 electricity.  They have 24/7 running water.  Public transportation is excellent (tramvae, underground trains, electric powered buses, etc).  Everybody is housed for next to nothing.

These kind of things are exactly what we're asking the Nigerian government to provide for it's people also.  Those basic needs weren't provided by the people, or by enterpreneurs.  They were provided by the government.  Without the necessary infrastructure in place, your  business has little chance of success.  Therefore, you're better off playing it safe and remaining abroad where you're doing better.

You cannot get blood out of a stone.  So if you return to Nigeria, knowing that the nation does not have the necessary infrastructure for your kind of business, you're a complete fool.

If a better life is working more than 10 hrs a day and still getting peanuts - £5/hr (by British standard), then it is ok.

£5/hr x 10 hrs a day = £50 = N11,100

Besides, anybody who thinks owning your own business means you won't be working 10 hours a day, needs to think again.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 8:08pm On Apr 01, 2006
@Oasis

50GBP is more like Naira 13,000 and multiply that by 20 and you are pushing nearly Naira 260k a month. Now that is some good quid for any standard of Nigerian, I am not sure how many Nigerians will say no to those numbers. Once we start thinking practically and not from our hearts and this question is really easy to answer.

@Segebams

I guess you have to find an embassy of a country you want to go to, and go and apply for some kind of Visa and if granted, you head out on your plight. Good Luck!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by segebams: 10:31pm On Apr 01, 2006
I appreciate all illustratns of urs on dis issue.pls i understnd dat 1 can apply online 4 uk visa.can any1 provide me with d website.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 3:11am On Apr 02, 2006
Sorry Men I am not sure what it is. I Live in the US,the British Embassy here is independent of the the one in Nigeria. Try Goggling it.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by tipsy289(m): 3:09pm On Apr 02, 2006
@ bellarouge
U in America,if you come back to nigeria and everything is the same like over there,write a story on how u feel now.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Jackal(m): 7:17pm On Apr 02, 2006
;d ;d ;d
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by oasis: 7:29pm On Apr 02, 2006
Dont even think about relocating to California.
Non-californians are charged like 'em foreign students.
If u were not born in Cali u will pay the same fees Nigerians pay.

Why do you post misleading information such as this?

You can earn california residency after being there a few years.

http://www.glendale.edu/AR/info/residency.htm
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ynot(m): 7:39pm On Apr 02, 2006
You became California resident if you can show proof of paid state tax, register to vote or, have a property in California.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by twinkledew(f): 1:18pm On Apr 06, 2006
akowale

It is free education in public school but you pay in private schools ok. research well undecided
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by twinkledew(f): 1:20pm On Apr 06, 2006
u can claim ur tax for instance u were taxed by emergency tax and if u wanna know more pls do ur research b4 writing aight.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by twinkledew(f): 1:28pm On Apr 06, 2006
i am fed up of this topic. some people r coming up with crap while others are coming up with sensible stuffs. learn to do some research b4 writing anything out
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 5:34pm On Apr 06, 2006
Twinkle

It is obvious that he does not know about the UK, and was just hoping to get some attention which he has now received. You should notice how quiet he has been since his last post. I am still hoping to hear how he explains this one.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 5:51pm On Apr 14, 2006
Sorry guys i have forgot about this topic, i never know i have been completely dealt with here.

twinkledew:

akowale
It is free education in public school but you pay in private schools ok. research well undecided

Sorry Madam,

What i mean by school is higher institution of learning( i guess most members are over 18).

Now, primary and secondary is free BUT Higher institution is NOT.

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/international/coursefees.htm

Foreign students pay £7k while European Union, British Citizens, Foreign nationals with indefinite stay pays £1175( Now increased astronomically)

They find it so hard to pay, so they apply to local authority for assistance based on income or apply for loan to be paid back.

twinkledew:

i am fed up of this topic. some people r coming up with crap while others are coming up with sensible stuffs. learn to do some research before writing anything out

Sorry sir, next term, i will do my research well.

twinkledew:

u can claim your tax for instance u were taxed by emergency tax and if u want to know more please do your research before writing aight.

High earners like Kanu, David Beckham, Jay-jay Okocha paid 40% tax, they will never refund a penny for them.

What is Emergency tax?
Emergency tax occurs when (1) Employer don't have the employee's tax code, thus using code like [b]BR
for the employee
(2) If Employee does have two jobs, he will be taxed normal for the main job then emergency for second job in which case you can never never get anything back.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 6:07pm On Apr 14, 2006
Old Glory:

Twinkle
It is obvious that he does not know about the UK

Ummmh, May be you will process UK visa for me, i beg!

Old Glory:

and was just hoping to get some attention which he has now received.

I can't stop laughing here grin grin grin grin grin grin

Please, my friends in Sports, come and help me here.[ Bagoma, Pie1ect, Vieria, Prisccy,BabraGold,NightRider,BolaOni] and

Even Commander in Chief; Oloye Seun Alariwo Osewa.

Old Glory:

You should notice how quiet he has been since his last post.

Sorry, i forgot about this post completely just got it now by accident, i am probably most active in Sports.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by DivineOke(f): 5:38am On Apr 15, 2006
Well, av neva been abroad but a few of my friends over there have told me that it aint as it seems.Life's not a bed of roses over there and they still have to hustle so they say but funny enough, they still don't "really" want to come back home.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by blablabla(m): 9:01pm On Apr 16, 2006
people, you've all derailed, the simple question was, is life really better abroad?

oasis, has said it all, talk is cheap, anyone who thinks he is so patriotic and loves Nigeria more than all of us should come and hang in my area of the country, hunt for a job with his oyibo degree without links, claim right of way with the yellow devils and report a ruitine case of theft to a local police station or call the fire service, etc etc etc, if he/she is still around after one month, I will pay my full years salary to compensate
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by lioness(f): 2:01pm On Apr 19, 2006
na wa o tongue
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Moukee(m): 12:50pm On Apr 27, 2006
The protagonist of this issue definitely knows that life abroad is better than life back home. The truth is both visible to the blind and audible to the deaf. When I was living in the good ol' Naija, I could never afford to make a dash of five thousand naira to any of my friends. And when it happened that I had to see a doctor, it was always difficult to cough out the money for medical expenses. I couldn't afford back in the early nineties to pay 19,000 naira for an HNO operation which was now carried out in Berlin with my medical insurance footing the bill. And then again, I was never able to sleep at night, not because of power disruption, but because of the menace posed by armed robbers. Needless to say I sleep here with my windows wide open in summer.

All di same sha, I always long to visit good ol' Naija. And you will never believe this: the first places I always go to are two small bukas where the specialties are eding kan kon and nkobi. In Festac, Lagos state.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 11:40pm On Apr 28, 2006
Moukee:

The protagonist of this issue definitely knows that life abroad is better than life back home. The truth is both visible to the blind and audible to the deaf.

Can you educate us by answering the following questions?

1) What kind of visa are you using in Germany?

2) What percentage of your wages is your house rent in Germany?

3) What percentage is your food allowance against your wages a month?

4) Any problem with tax et la in Germany?

5) Do you feel at home in Germany? Any Racism ?

6) Why are you paying your Health bills via medical insurance?

7) Is there no Robbers in Germany at all?

Thanks.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Moukee(m): 10:56am On Apr 29, 2006
My dawg Kola, it is true that here I have to sweat my ass off. I even have to combine two jobs in order to make ends meet. The percentage of the medical insurance bill vis-a-vis my take-home pay is so infinitessimal that I do not even feel the pinch. There are also some difficulties encountered here. For example, an avalanche of unpaid bills, the ever looming threat of a non-functioning heater in winter and the even more fearful prospect of becoming homeless are the modus vivendi here just as in any metropolis. Yea, I agree, racism is the norm here. Infact, there is a spectre haunting Europe; the spectre of negrophobia. But is there any system that is completely devoid of this feeling of exclusiveness? Even in good ol' Naija, we are all fully conscious of the role played by the hydra-headed monster of tribalism and the division into first class, second class and third class(talakawas) citizens.

My dawg Kola, let us not join issues but agree in calling a spade a spade. The hardest condition abroad is better than the best condition back home. I love my country and I am ready, willing and able to do everything humanly possible  to make it compete and compare favourably with the industrialized nations. Nigeria is a song that must be sung out loud enough to timbre and reverberate in the ears of those hard of hearing. Adios.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 1:57pm On Apr 29, 2006

"The Hardest Condition Abroad, is better than the best condition back home". That is all that needs to be said. I think this topic is a wrap.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by sage(m): 4:25pm On Apr 29, 2006
@Akolawole

Having spent over 20 yrs in naija, and some years in the west, I CAN AUTHORITATIVELY TELL U THAT FOR MOST PEOPLE, LIFE HERE IS A MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN IT WILL EVER BE FOR THEM IN NAIJA.
I know that u love naija, but thats not even a reason to compare.

Racism, yeah the bigger brother to tribalism. Ask Ibos that live in Northern Nigeria and i can tell u i feel a hundred times more at peace here in the U.S than they will ever feel there in their lifetime.

Having lived in those two places, THERE IS SIMPLY NO COMPARISON.

If u want us to compare bit by bit we can too
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 4:42am On Apr 30, 2006
@Sage

There will be no need to compare "Bit by Bit". The man understands right from wrong and good versus bad. I think there is simply no comparison.

Life Expectancy in the US is 79.4 Yrs ( US Census Bureau)
Life Expectancy in Uganda is 47Yrs (WHO)
Life Expectancy in Germany is 71+ Yrs (UN)
Life Expectancy in Nigeria is in the Low 40"s (WHO)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

US: Why We Rejected 44.9% Of Nigerian Nonimmigrant B Visa Applications In 2017 / Fatal Accident In Ondo State This Morning (Graphic Pics) / Inside The New Qantas Dreamliners Where The Pilots And Crew Sleep(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.