Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,778 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

Is Life Really Better Abroad? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Really Better Abroad? (43858 Views)

Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better off Than Their Home Based Counterparts? / Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better Than Their Home Based Counterpart / What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by zionchic(f): 8:40pm On May 08, 2006

@ mrlawng

i agree with you, quite a lot of naijas hold professional jobs out here, that is good and indeed success is not enviromental. like you i'm a med student, but have you taken time to consider the big time surgeon who had to mop floors in london b'because no one would hire him, or the doctor who had to work as a carer (glorified maid) for 25 years 'because he couldn't pass some exams in the US inorder to be employed and he was too proud to go back home to start over , or the first class Lawyer who had to wash cars for years all because there was no place for him in the US.

I'm amazed at your comment peradventure you need to read the portion i wrote to you again (above), i don't understand how we got to you "didn't" and you "wouldn't" infact i haven't accused you of anything so how could i try to channel your opinion. the only person i remember going "partially" against is Old glory and i don't think i disrespected him in anyway (not that you said i did), this is only a discussion why do we have to get all passionate and emotional about it, like i always say let's calm down, this nothing but a miniature conversation,Geeeeeeeeee!.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by bigbumper(f): 8:43pm On May 08, 2006
Even higher education for citizens is not free, and has to be paid for. Likewise this country is a pay-as-you-go country, if you don't pay for electricity, water, etc, you don't get nothing.

And isn't it quite telling for the government to scrape student grants and replace it with student loans promising that you do not have to pay back until you are earning £15,000 a year as a graduate before tax, only to reduce the threshold to £10,000? i.e reduced to £5.50 per hour before tax!!!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by MrBean(m): 9:05pm On May 08, 2006
@zionchic

If I cam across as rude, I offer my sincere apologies. I think people can disagree ans maintain civility while at it. I personally havent seen doctors like you mentioned here in the US. You are entitled to your own opinion and I dont think I have said too much, but i guess people are different and i appreciate that which is why i am offering my apologies once again if you were offended.

My views regarding the thread remains the same.

Peace
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by zebudaya(m): 9:10pm On May 08, 2006
You guys argue unecessarily. . For some people Yankee is better, others Nigeria is better. Wherever you can make your fortune.

My parents live in Nigeria, and they are comfortable. I[b] know Africans who are doing very well in America, and I know African men who became nurses just to make ends meet. You do something you don't like 12 hours a day just for the money what kind of life is that?
[/b]

My dream scenario would be living in Naija, and make enough money to come to the west if for vaction if i so please, if my father wants to go watch chelsea play or worship in a cathedral in rome he can!!!!!!! or if my mum and grandma want to go to paris they can!
This is not far fetched the dangotes, ibrus, murray-bruce's are doing it.

another dream scenario would be to live in yankee but go to Nigeria every three months for business. That way i can get out of this money chasing yankee life for a few months and run back to it when naija drives me nuts. Either way i want best of both worlds.

So it's all preference if you feel naija is better for you in the long run good. If you think yankee is better good
make the most of wherever you are
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by zionchic(f): 9:20pm On May 08, 2006
@ zebudaya

well said bro preach it hard!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 9:27pm On May 08, 2006
Dream Scenarios grin

better stop dreaming my guy work very hard.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 9:32pm On May 08, 2006
Working full time at ASDA will get you more than £3000 in a about 3 months, i know someone who works in their warehouse n his papers aint even complete!

and not everybody is on minimum wage wink
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by MrBean(m): 9:47pm On May 08, 2006
@zionchic

On a lighter note. maybe you and I will get married after Med sch and go back to naija to help out. lol grin

Just kidding
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 9:51pm On May 08, 2006
Mrlawng

I am sure going back home will be a criteria for Marrying Zionchic. She needs something to move her outta here. Her mind is playing tricks on her. Her body is in Yankee, but her mind is in Africa. Please send out invitations to NL members.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by MrBean(m): 10:03pm On May 08, 2006
@ old glory

Will you be the best-man?

That will entail you moving back to naija too. lol

grin
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by zebudaya(m): 10:08pm On May 08, 2006
i'll be the priest. grin but the lady hasn't said yes yet
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by zionchic(f): 10:11pm On May 08, 2006
wateva guys, guess ya'll want to joke now, have fun!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by MrBean(m): 10:13pm On May 08, 2006
@zionchic

What do you say I am down on one knee with a 22 karat Bling bling,

Dont break my heart sweetie
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 10:13pm On May 08, 2006
whats wrong with joking? it getting personal n heated
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by zebudaya(m): 10:14pm On May 08, 2006
@zionchic
no sweetie we didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

anyways come get this e-hug, e-kiss, e-servicing??

grin grin grin grin

@mrlawng back off thats my girl
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 10:18pm On May 08, 2006
@Zeb

E-servicing? You need help! grin grin grin

@Zionchic

We can disagree and have fun. Please do not keep my guy MrLawng on one knee. Is it a Yes?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by zionchic(f): 10:26pm On May 08, 2006
it's kool to have fun and jokes ain't bad either. well, old glory tell him 'cos i really think he needs help! and my guy on one knee, too bad you might have to remain on that knee foreva. lol.

guess i might have to call out to my sistas in da house "Help! Help!! sistas get mii off da hook!!! they're crowding mii in"
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by beyonce1(f): 11:30pm On May 08, 2006
Hey Girl ! I'd suggest U say YES if he agrees in writing to get u a MANSION at V.G.C , SLK , 2 chefs & A Chaffeur.

He'll have to put this in writing though and ,,,,, sign  a pre-nup to give u GBP3000 monthly,,,,  then I 'd be more than GLAD to be your CHIEF BRIDESMAID ! cheap and simple init ?  wink cheesy
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by MrBean(m): 1:13pm On May 09, 2006
@ zionchic

You better listen to your girl.

seriously my Knees are starting to hurt now.  sad

@beyonce1

Thanks girl but i am not bill gates yet. Give a brother a break.

@zebudaya

Man, don't make come after you.  angry

grin grin grin
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 3:17pm On May 09, 2006
From post #194

"Even higher education for citizens is not free, and has to be paid for. Likewise this country is a pay-as-you-go country, if you don't pay for electricity, water, etc, you don't get nothing.

And isn't it quite telling for the government to scrape student grants and replace it with student loans promising that you do not have to pay back until you are earning £15,000 a year as a graduate before tax, only to reduce the threshold to £10,000? i.e reduced to £5.50 per hour before tax!!!
"

@OldGlory

Did you remember our argument about education the other time?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 3:26pm On May 09, 2006
LoverBwoy:

Working full time at ASDA will get you more than £3000 in a about 3 months, i know someone who works in their warehouse n his papers aint even complete!

and not everybody is on minimum wage wink

That is £1000 per month.

I hardly believe this.

Is he working at Night?

Is overtime included?

Full time hours is 35 to 40 hours in England

At what rate per hour?

I will calculate his NI, Tax and netpay here.

may be, he is lying to you
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 6:49pm On May 09, 2006
Kola

Please where do you live? You really are something. I guess you need to work for the IRS. You want to calculate paychex now?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by zionchic(f): 7:52pm On May 09, 2006
@ beyonce
yes girl i concur, on those terms i'd  know he's really ready to make mii his bride

@Mrlawng

so tiger, let's hit the aisle but hollun are you living the American Dream yet? hmmmmmmmm i didn't think so, you're just another med student,  too bad it can't work  sad, i need a Bro who's living the "American dream" (at least you know i'm a user)lol.  wink smiley

@ all

Actually i know it's not my place to say this but i think enough has really been said on this thread, we're just reiterating the same stuff over and over let's all move on. it's been an interesting conversation though.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by MrBean(m): 8:04pm On May 09, 2006
@zionchic

Well said sis

But keep this in mind you will marry me one day. and on our way down the aisle i remind of nairaland grin

Peace out
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by zionchic(f): 8:26pm On May 09, 2006
@Mrlawng

high hopes huh? well, lets keep our fingers crossed.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by MrBean(m): 8:30pm On May 09, 2006
@zionchic

Its not a crime to desire a good thing. The only thing is that even though I win its still going to benefit both of us, so my "I told you so" wouldnt be of a big significance.

Peace
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OldGlory1(m): 9:05pm On May 09, 2006
Mrlawng

Zionchic really likes you, this whole "Act" is part of her M.O. As long as you are going to take her home(NIGERIA), and you all can open a hospital and do some Pro Bo-no work, she is all you!!!!! cheesy
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by MrBean(m): 9:21pm On May 09, 2006
hmmmmmmmmmm cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 12:08am On May 10, 2006
@OldGlory

I live in Ibadan BUT,

I need your contribution in Sports, i discover you belong to the old school.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 12:57pm On May 10, 2006
He is not lying to me!!

what rubbish!! i see his payslip in my house myself!!! whats wrong with u,he gets £200-£300 deducted remaining about £1200 or so

he is not working nights, if he was he'll be gettin more than that

as i said before not everyone is on minimum wage  wink
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 3:44pm On May 10, 2006
LoverBwoy:

He is not lying to me!!

what rubbish!! i see his payslip in my house myself!!! whats wrong with u,he gets £200-£300 deducted remaining about £1200 or so

he is not working nights, if he was he'll be gettin more than that

as i said before not everyone is on minimum wage wink

I rest my case but if you push me more, i will ask plenty of questions about the payslips. We owe it a duty not to misinform anybody here.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 4:30pm On May 10, 2006
I am not mis informing u or anybody !!
FOR U TO SAY SOMEONE IS LYING IS A BIT SOMEHOW DONT U THINK SO?

HIS PAYSLIPS ARE SENT TO MY ADDY!! WHAT MORE CAN BE OBVIOUS THAN THAT,

WHEN NEXT U COME AROUND MAYBE I SHOW U POINT BLANK!

full time! no sundays, no nights, nothing extra

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Man Celebrates His Sixth Accident With No Scratch And Got These Replies (photos) / 2 Female Police Officers Die In Car Crash While On Their Way To Akwa Ibom (Pix) / Man Using Umbrella In A Lagos Bus Due To Leaking Roof (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.