Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,088 members, 7,818,263 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Is Life Really Better Abroad? - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Really Better Abroad? (43845 Views)

Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better off Than Their Home Based Counterparts? / Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better Than Their Home Based Counterpart / What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 4:32pm On Nov 15, 2006
i wish i can blow you a kiss kiss

you used the buzz word

She really is[b] content[/b]

i can quote all your post and hmmm kiss kiss kiss
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 4:34pm On Nov 15, 2006
I mean there's only so much of traffic, scorching heat, undrinkable water, so much noise, mosquito bites, fake lives, apparent display of arrogance and ignorance, bribery, the spin and corruption etc that one can take before you begin to get fed up.

wink
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ib(f): 4:36pm On Nov 15, 2006
Hmmmm, now i feel very intelligent. Thanks loverbwoy
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 4:52pm On Nov 15, 2006
You really deserve it, you hit the nail right on the head!

you'll notice most people spend under a month when they visit

some people cant stand paying tax,bills and whatnots because most of the time their parent did all that for them even get a house when they get married - that is if mommy and daddy didnt get them the daughter of his business associate wink
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by osegwu(m): 5:21pm On Nov 15, 2006
Any thing way una de talk may una know
say Abroad is betterAll way round each way you look at it

Still me
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ynot(m): 5:42pm On Nov 15, 2006
Now you have said it all, what do we do to make Nigeria livable?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ib(f): 5:48pm On Nov 15, 2006
Now that's another topic in its own right!!!!!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by adconline(m): 5:50pm On Nov 15, 2006
The difference between Naija and  Abroad is  what it took  someone in miles or kilometres to make it. Please  there is no basis for comparison.

What are the criteria for comparison. Security, Opportunities, health, education, and entertainment. Here is a situation,  I tell people that  a poor  man in Abroad is richer than Obasanjo.  Stella Obasanjo died of complications from  simple plastic surgery, even though it was in Spain,  but this  is what people do on daily basis.  Because they will ask questions, talk to other doctors, compare their medical grades  etc. Obasanjo cannot have a heart suggery/transplant in Nigeria, while this is a procedure a common man  would have access to  in Abroad.

I know I have lost 3 people since 2005  because of Nigeria's  ineptitude in aviation and electricity.  Nigeria is better ,airlines are killing people every month and victims are flown to South Africa for treatment. We cannot even compare Nigeria with South Africa. It is this mentality that has kept us stagnated. I like Nigeria, don't get me wrong, but we really have to admit that things are going wrong before we can fix them.  People  do not have access to clean  water. Poeple cannot even flush  their toilets becuase of scarcity of water. University students who are  not internet literate let alone computer literate.   U live in Abuja, OK how many places are like Abuja or VGC  in Naija ? We just forget about people who live in villages that have no electricity, pipe borne water, health care, education,  and good sanitary environment.  This thread is a non starter.
Poeple forget that parents or guardians pay school fees for their wards becuase students cannot afford them. I wonder how many students that are working and going to university in Naija?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by IBEXY(m): 6:01pm On Nov 15, 2006
one argument is that people do dehumanising jobs here in the name of being in yankee.
At least you get paid on time (and then with valuable money).
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by adconline(m): 6:25pm On Nov 15, 2006
Poeple do not do humanizing jobs,  because there is  dignity of labour over there?  Mind you that native borns are also doing these jobs, so who are we to say that they are humanizing when  they can put food on the table and  pay bills? What is so humanizing? Having a job or nothing having one at all? I would choose the former. I rest my case
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by ell77(f): 8:40pm On Nov 15, 2006
Well if this is the case true true, I will only go to Naija for holidays! Why will any1 come back to Nigeria to try and develop their country if these are the arguments being presented against Naija. Me I understand Naija is hard but people survive there still! Every country has their downside and NAIJA HAS A MULTITUDE but if people can't supply good reasons to go back to Naija of course the country will only get worse - do u know most of the black people abroad who are successful or in uni are Nigerians - all the brain power we have, we use to build another mans economy. I am not condemning anyone, people must look after their own well-being afterall the president will not remember to thank me for coming back home if I die of malaria or dehyration self. But my own opinion is Naija can be what u make it especially if we all go back together and don't prevent each other from developing. I think there are opportunities in Naija for business men though as long as u have patients and stamina u could stand to gain millions how many years ahead we are abroad can help not only give back to Naija but have ur own enterprise. Look at Glo-com and MTN how many years had mobile phone networks been in existence abroad before these companies started. Now the owners and their children are almost royalty. My own idea is for everyone to come abroad gain degree, ideas, money go home and make more money and invest in community. We can change Naija one person at a time 'cos if we wait for president it willl never pass.

I don't think it is by force though to go back to Naija if u like stay there ur whole life but I just think people don't see the opportunities for a good life in Naija. Doctors and nurses start ur own hospitals, finance graduates start ur own banks and investment startegies! C'mon (roots alone for Naija). Wherever u go for holiday u start to feel bored after a month if u are playing no active part i.e. working or schooling. My uncle when he came here he ran on his way back he flew!
However
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by sage(m): 10:04pm On Nov 15, 2006
@Paddy-lo

Guy whatz ur problem . I wrote that that money came from a Ten week internship and not one month.

My guy if u are trying to compare the United States and Nigeria on any level then u must be crazy. I spent most of my life in Nigeria and went to University in Nigeria so i know the difference. Dont give me that crap like i dont know what i am talking about. My guy as a second year student ( Sophmore) got a Goldman Sach internship and got paid $15,000 plus a $6000 scholarship this past summer. How many second year students in Nigeria have anything like this to look for. How many of them can own a legitimate car at 22yrs? My guy no make me start.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by ima1(f): 4:23am On Nov 16, 2006
the only way i will say america is better than naija is when it comes to education, 247 electricity, good roads and the 911 issue. other than that trust me there is no difference, its not what it is cracked up to be, i personally would have prefered to stay in nigeria, but my dad did not agree.

1 reason why i love nigeria is that in the secondary school, you have nothing like bullies, naija is beat me i beat you, but in american here it is bully me, i bring a gun to school and kill my classmates, the rate of depression in american is alarming, yesteray on OPRAH a guy killed his twin daughters just because he was depressed, a woman drowned her 4 children in the bathtub just because she was depressed and then they plead insanity in court. in American here you see grown men sexually molesting small kids which is so very sick. i admit naija get its own problems like theives and corrupted  people, but in america her the people are just twisted.

Not everyone in america is rich like everyone thinks, most of them work just to pay their bills and they live month to month, they cars and houses they live in is not even paid for, they pay monthly fees every months and end up paying more just bcoz of the interest, and if you can't make your payments the government forcloses your house, putting you on the street without much notice. there is no need paying for something you are not going to own until 30 years from now, what kind of life is that, in Naija 30 years is enough for someone to work hard and make a good living, buy a house probably more than 1 car.

i can't wait to go back to naija because in naija i was never broke, here in america, after paying the rent, bills i am left with almost nothing for feeding. i go to school full-time, work full-time and i get no break at all if i want to live in the house i rent, it is not easy, in naja i was staying with my parents, if i need anything, they gave it to me, the only thing is that my curfew was 6pm which sucks bcoz over here i can stay out all night if i want.

life is only better where you feel comfortable, i love naija, i miss all my friends, in america here, you have to pick your friends with your eyes wide open b4 you pick someone who is doing drugs and get dragged into that shit.

everyone has different feeling on this subject, but i think life for me would be better if i was in nigeria, i was in boarding school, i drank crappy water, i have always lived without nepa, and coming back to naija to make things better for me is my goal.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 6:09am On Nov 16, 2006
Since Nigeria is better, you might as well start packing out of the USA to our country. Who says we dont have bullies in Nigeria? Did you not live in boarding school where senior students subjected junior students to (sometimes) inhumane punishment, particularly, if their request for money was turned down? What of cults on campuses? Ok, here, you pay taxes, and you are assured of services in your house, 24/7. In Nigeria, you still pay your water bill and water board will cut off your water supply. And then dont even go with electric bill, cos I witnessed a confrontation between my mother and NEPA officials.

Depression may not be common in Nigeria, but the molestation, unfortunately takes place under the dark, that wont be aired publicly because of the conservative nature of our society. And parents killing their children is not only endemic in the USA, but does take place in Nigeria. Out here it is physical, in Nigeria, it is sometimes operated in the spiritual realm, aka home front.

"Song idem".
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by paddylo1(m): 8:01am On Nov 16, 2006
c@sage,

Ol boy, i no get your time, na people like u go stay yankee, 20yrs with nothing to sho, listen fool, i don stunt my whole life, so i fit teach u one or two things, i go uni abuja, so no tell me about affording legitimate car, whateva that means, my guy i dey cruise for school go ask of paddy, them go tell u, anyway, i dey do my M.B.A, here, and when i go back naija, when i tire for yankee, i promise u say that your goldman sachs guy, no go get levels when e reach my side, mugu, na people like u dey make my hustlers for europe dey call americans mugu, u see $15,000 u dey jump up, that no fit buy u decent car for naija, but men dey drop am cash and carry, for naija, omo boiz, no let all these mugus here fool una, no people stunt like naija, stay here i dey go back, look for me in abuja or lagos, or my villa for that matter, as i dey enjoy life dey fresh, while u dey battle snow and cold and they run go work for oyibo man, dey call am sir, mugu, make u no forget to stay here till u reach 60yrs, when them go put u for old peoples home, because them say u no fit take care of yourself, while i go dey my papa soil, dey make moves, i dey wait your reply, bring am on, i dey philadelphia live, nothing u fit tell me, i dey f**k enough girls black,white, all of them wan follow me go back naija, and u dey here dey yarn opata, u never tell people wey never come here say many people poor for here pass naija, schools here(primary,secondaty, ) worse than naija, kids na gun dem dey carry go school, most nigerians wey school for naija go come here ace the best students here, corruption?, my guy like say dem don brainwash u, which politician here no dey corrupt, in fact down to the average american, wey go commit crime as long as e think say e fit get away with am, my guy since u come here who don dash u $300, apart from family member or g/f, but people for naija dey dash out 30k,40k, no shaking, yankee get babes sha, i give them dat, but like i say, if i want i import my babes go naija, no shaking, oya i don finish for now,
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by lioness(f): 9:08am On Nov 16, 2006
LMAO grin
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by adconline(m): 9:10am On Nov 16, 2006
how many people for naija dey dash 30K or 40K etc.   may be Utopian Nigeria.  People who genuinely make their money dont give it out easily. By the man, Ted Turner gave billions to UN  and no to talk of oracle of Omaha, Waren Buffet who gave out all his billions.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by lioness(f): 9:11am On Nov 16, 2006
undecided
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by sage(m): 5:51pm On Nov 16, 2006
@Paddy Lo
I am not going to thread insults with someone like u. U said u and ur Uncle are in the United States running a rat race. Well pack ur shit and go back home, the less rat racing Nigerians we have here the better. Let those that know what they are here for handle their business. Go back to Nigeria and start a mouse race, probably it would fit u more. Some second year students here are averaging $25000 with both internships and scholarships over the summer and u are there rat racing. Na person weh de rat race de import white and black girls at the same time? Who dash u 40k? 4 ur dreams?

Well 4 those that are here 4 a meaningful discussion having spent Twenty-something years in Nigeria and also recieved University education, i can tell u the difference. Everybody's prefrence is different but in terms of which place is better overall there is no disputing of the facts. Anybody creating anyother pic is dellusional.

@Lioness seems like u grew up in Aba right? Did u ever go a complete month without seing corpses littred all over the middle of the streets?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by niceuzor: 7:33pm On Nov 16, 2006
I think Life is really better abroad if u know what you going to do there
and focus on it very well most of all always put God first.As for me life abroad is
far more better than Nigeria. IF u want to travell NO LOOK UCHE FACE OOOOOOOOO.
And especially people wey dey drink parnadol for another man head. No Mind Them Prepare your Document fast then make way.

Thats my own side of view,Lets read from the others
Cheers.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by mazaje(m): 11:58pm On Nov 16, 2006
@topic
life is not all about money sometime but happiness and convinence. THERE IS NO VALUE FOR HUMAN LIFE IN NIGERIA thats the final truth. life in europe is hard but at least its secured, if u hussel u will be paid when due, infastructure is not a problem. food is also not a problem and everything out here is organised but in nigeria? na wah ohhhh, its not all about the money, to some life in nigeria is better cos when they were in nigeria people use to worship them and treat them as kings/queens but now that they are in europe or US where nobody knows them and every body is on his own they start complianing that naija is better. i have been here for 2 years and the only thing i can say is that organisation is the key to life, life is organised out here but in nigeria its jungle justice that prevails where the people up swallow the people at the bottom and make them live in miserable conditions while they and their families enjoy. if you are a legal immigrant and u have money life is really better here than in nigeria cos i was there in febuary, i was supposed to spend 2 months but i spent 6 weeks and ran. to me u just can't compare. if u want free things and are used to the corrupt way of life here then definately abroad wont appeal to u but if u are the struggling type then u just can't compare here(europe) to nigeria.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by ima1(f): 1:08am On Nov 17, 2006
the thing here is that if you get money then you you know life is really better in Naija. me i am coming back next year when i am done with school, i no fit sit down for this country dey bust my ass for someone who isn't even paying me enough money for the kind of job i am doing, i am coming back to naija to take over my dad's business and work for myself and be content and no complain everyday how im not getting paid well.

in my own opinion na people wey no get the money dey think say life is better abroad, see wetin most nigerian for texas dey do, they dey dupe people for money and when they catch them they go sitdown for jail.

my advise is that if you wan come stay for america then study courses like nursing n become a doctor because they are in a very  high demand.
and i go boarding school, and wetin we do na when school don end we dey block all those seniors for outside gate, n you know what happens next. as for me i am coming back next year as soon as i am done with my masters degree, there is nothing for me in this country.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by choco4life(m): 1:13am On Nov 17, 2006
yah man i totally agree with u but pause for a second,
imagine spending  nine years for a five year course in nigeria,
imagine the rate of unemployment fresh graduates experience  from uni afta sufferring the neva ending university education,
u know as well as i do all these factors but to mentoin a few,
MEN MAKE WE COME CHOP SMALL FOR YANKEE BEFORE RETURNING TO MAKE NAIJA A GREAT NATION.
REM, it's not easy anywhere even in nigeria. wink smiley cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by lioness(f): 9:26am On Nov 17, 2006
"abraod" aint all that sef.
It all depends on what your looking for
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by paddylo1(m): 10:49am On Nov 17, 2006
my niggas dey naija dey run things, people dey here dey yarn opata, "They lied to us, you niggas aint broke, ", who talk so , na snoop dogg himself, yarn so when him come naija for the first time, my yarn be say make guys no dey lie for boys, if u dey here and things dey hard for you, no lie just tell am as e be, niggaz dey here dey beg me for $20 but its all all good no shaking, as forme, no decieve young naija people make them spend all their money come yankee, whe una know say nothing dey this side as for stunting, i don tire to yarn sef, if u wan sell your papa land to come yakeee or jand, you be fool, but if na wetin un want no shaking come see as e be, see u all for naija some day, for people like Sage, na mugu dem wan be for life, i pity dem, but all my real niggis, come here do your thing, waka, i go see una for naija, soon, peace,
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 12:30pm On Nov 17, 2006
If you feel that Nigeria is better than yankee, then Why are you here? Why don't you just move back home, instead of staying put in America, while dissing it? Such display of ingratitude is called "Biting the fingers that fed you". Like I wrote earlier, I aint going to condemn Nigeria, because, I grew up there, and for me, it was the best part of my life. There isnt anybody here that I know of who resides in America that hasnt struggled. Life is not a bed of roses, where you can accessorize them in your bedrooms, you have to work hard for it. When you put God first in your life, you are bound to succeed and definitely appreciate the fruits of your labor.

For the fellow who is in here, writing about hustling, etc, be honest, how many people from a poor background, in Nigeria can afford to attend secondary school? Is it not that the parents would decide that their son is better suited for a trade, or eagerly look forward to the day when an eligible suitor would come knocking for their daughter. Here in America, no matter how poor you are, most likely, you can earn at least a high school diploma from a public high school. The motivated ones can also obtain Finacial AID for their colleges, or even fall back on a JC, which is quite reasonable. Back home, contract is highly desirable for people that is only handed to a few, based on connections. How many students have graduated from college and have been gainfully employed? In Yankee, at least when you finish college, chances are, you will land a decent job, most times, without resorting to bribes or sleeping around. A guy that I know of in Nigeria attempted to join a milk company, but he could not come up with bribe money for the job, so as a last resort, he went back to his alma mater to become a lecturer. Tell me, is that common in America? Females are victimized in colleges, sometimes by their male teachers, with absolutely no justice for them, while their counterparts are feared in America on grounds of discrimination. There is no comparison whatsoever. America is better than Nigeria. What Nigeria certainly trumps over the USA is our outgong social life, our gregariousness, and of course, family bonds that have withstood the test of time in today's dog eat dog world.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by kellorah: 12:32pm On Nov 17, 2006
ther's no place like home but i tink i'd like to live in the sates, someday!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by whiteroses(f): 1:35pm On Nov 17, 2006
preach it paddy lo, i like dat paddy lo boy he's really spitting da truth, the people that wouldn't wanna go back are the one's that do shitty course in school and nonsense job they can't show their face in nigeria because they have nothing to show for it. God forgive me i think i'm wasting time and money here in london cos my dad want's me home immediately after graduation. as i calculated it, da money i've made in here so far will be spent on school fees (20,000 ground) and flight back home then what do i have left when i shoulda gone to igbinedion and finish within four years while my dad pays the fees but it's all good. holla
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by anusule(m): 1:43pm On Nov 17, 2006
hmm waiting dey for nigeria

light?
water?
road?
education?
better economy?
sure being abroad is farfar better. no stress,
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by anusule(m): 1:46pm On Nov 17, 2006
really home is sweet, naija is sweet. in terms of having black brothers around, u feel good.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by IBEXY(m): 2:52pm On Nov 17, 2006
To that guy spitting out aggresion and vituperations in broken english
u know deep down in you what this thread is all about.
Maybe u belong to the 1% of naija people having it easy.
Be honest to yourself, if naija was good, why do we have 10km lenght queues at the American and British embassies.
People are tired. Even if yankee does not fulfill all the promises they see on tv, they can at least have safety, get paid regularly, enjoy free healthcare, have quality education etc.
Why must these previledges be for only the rich and corrupt politicians.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 3:25pm On Nov 17, 2006
whiteroses:

preach it paddy lo, i like that paddy lo boy he's really spitting da truth, the people that wouldn't want to go back are the one's that do shitty course in school and nonsense job they can't show their face in nigeria because they have nothing to show for it. God forgive me i think i'm wasting time and money here in london because my dad want's me home immediately after graduation. as i calculated it, da money i've made in here so far will be spent on school fees (20,000 ground) and flight back home then what do i have left when i shoulda gone to igbinedion and finish within four years while my dad pays the fees but it's all good. holla

what do you have if you put your dad out of the equation?

the people that wouldn't want to go back are the one's that do shitty course in school

have you thought of it this way, the people that find it difficult to go back are they people that aknowledge the fact that they can maximise their potentials in life. You have the tools there to support you and the people dont do witchcraft on you when you dont give them bribe!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply)

Lady Busts Taxify Driver Who Tricks Passengers Into Paying More / Flying From Abuja To Port Harcourt: Nairalander Observation: Pictures & Video / Man Celebrates His Sixth Accident With No Scratch And Got These Replies (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.