Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,970 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. (30721 Views)

8 Ways On How Not To Be Distracted In Church On A Sunday. / My Experience With Fake Bishop Oyedepo On Facebook(snapshots) / Mike & Gloria Bamiloye With Their Children Looking Great In A Sunday Photoshoot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by rhymz(m): 10:31am On May 19, 2012
The Apostle Paul Founder of Christianity
by Lewis Loflin
Jesus was not the founder of Christianity as we know it today. Most of the New Testament doesn't even concern the historical Jesus while the main influence is the Apostle Paul and through the church he founded at Ephesus a Greek convert named John. Paul never met Jesus in the flesh, he only claimed some spiritual visions and proceeded to Hellenize the teachings of Jesus (who preached a generic form of Judaism), until he created Pauline Christianity. Because there are no known writings from Jesus or His actual Apostles, most of what He really taught is remains controversial. Also see the disputed Gnostic Gospels .
But according to Paul, Jesus' teachings are not relevant to salvation. While Jesus is regarded by Christians as the founder of thefaith, Paul's role in defining Christianity can't be ignored and trumps Jesus on theology. "Paul is regarded as the great interpreter of Jesus' mission, who explained, in a way that Jesus himself never did, how Jesus' life and death fitted into a cosmic scheme of salvation, stretching fromthe creation of Adam to the end of time." The doctrines of Christianity come mostly from the teaching or influence of Paul, a Pharisee(?) who rejected his Pharisaic Judaism.
His worship was that of a "Christ" totally unrelated to the Jewish Messiah, a nationalist (and human) figure that was supposed to free the nation from foreign (Roman) rule. Paul would later be placed over his Jewish-Christian rivals by a Gnostic heretic named Marcion. See Marcion . The Church in its struggles with both Marcion and the Gnostics was forced to define itself and launch an internal war to silence opponents.
What is shown below is taken word for word from The Sierra Reference Encyclopedia .
Copyright 1996 P. F. Collier, L. P. All rights reserved.
PAUL, ST.
PAUL, ST. (died c. A.D. 68), founder of PaulineChristianity. His name was originally Saul. Helater claimed that he was a Jew of the tribe of Benjamin, from a long-established Pharisee family in Tarsus. According to Acts (though not according to Paul himself) he studied in Jerusalem under Gamaliel, the leader of the Pharisees and grandson of Hillel.
This account of Paul's youth, however, is subject to doubt, since the tribe of Benjamin had long ceased to exist, and Pharisee families are otherwise unknown inTarsus. According to Paul's opponents, the Ebionites, he came from a family of recent converts to Judaism. He learnt the trade of tent-making (or perhaps leather-working), by which he made his living.
While still a youth in Jerusalem, Saul became part of the opposition to the newly formed Jerusalem Church (the disciples of Jesus, who, believing that Jesus had been resurrected, continued to hope for his return to complete his messianic mission). Saul was present at the death of Stephen. Soon after, Saul was an active persecutor of the Jerusalem Church, entering its synagogues and arresting its members. Acts represents this as due to Saul's zeal as a Pharisee, but this is doubtful, as the Pharisees, under Gamaliel, were friendly to the Jerusalem Church (see Acts 5).
Moreover, Saul was acting in concert with the high priest (Acts 9:2), who was a Sadducee opponent of the Pharisees. It seems likely that Saul was at this period an employee of the Roman-appointed high priest, playing a police role in suppressing movements regarded as a threat to the Roman occupation. Since Jesus had been crucified on a charge of sedition, his followers were under the same cloud.
The high priest then entrusted Saul with an important mission, which was to travel to Damascus to arrest prominent members of the Jerusalem Church. This must have been a clandestine kidnapping operation, since Damascus was not under Roman rule at thetime but was in fact a place of refuge for the persecuted Nazarenes.
On the way to Damascus, Paul experienced avision of Jesus that converted him from persecutor to believer. Paul joined the Christians of Damascus, but soon he had to flee Damascus to escape the officers of KingAretas (II Corinthians 11:32-33), though a later, less authentic, account in Acts 9:22-25 changes his persecutors to "the Jews."
After his vision, according to Paul's own account (Galatians 1:17), he went into the desert of Arabia for a period, seeking no instruction. According to Acts, however, he sought instruction first from Ananias of Damascus and then from the apostles in Jerusalem. These contradictory accounts reflect a change in Paul's status: in his own view, he had received a revelation that put him far higher than the apostles, while in later Church opinion he had experienced a conversion that was only the beginning of his development as a Christian.
Paul's self-assessment is closer to the historical truth, which is that he was the founder of Christianity. Neither Jesus himself nor his disciples had any intention of founding a new religion. The need for a semblance of continuity between Christianity and Judaism, and between Gentile and Jewish Christianity, led to a playing-down of Paul's creative role. The split that took place between Paul and the Jerusalem Church is minimized in the Paulinist book of Acts, which contrasts withPaul's earlier and more authentic account inGalatians 2.
Paul's originality lies in his conception of the death of Jesus as saving mankind from sin. Instead of seeing Jesus as a messiah of the Jewish type human savior from political bondage, he saw him as a salvation-deity whose atoning death by violence was necessary to release his devotees for immortal life. This view of Jesus' death seems to have come to Paul in his Damascus vision. Its roots lie not in Judaism, but in mystery-religion, with which Paul was acquainted in Tarsus.
The violent deaths of Osiris, Attis, Adonis, and Dionysus brought divinization to their initiates. Paul, as founder of the new Christian mystery, initiated the Eucharist, echoing the communion meal of the mystery religions. The awkward insertion ofeucharistic material based on I Corinthians 11:23-26 into the Last Supper accounts in the Gospels cannot disguise this, especially as the evidence is that the Jerusalem Churchdid not practise the Eucharist.
Paul's missionary campaign began c.44 in Antioch. He journeyed to Cyprus, where he converted Sergius Paulus, the governor of the island. It was probably at this point thathe changed his name from Saul to Paul, in honor of his distinguished convert. After journeys in Asia Minor where he made manyconverts, Paul returned to Antioch. His second missionary tour (51-53) took him as far as Corinth; and his third (54-58) led to a three-year stay in Ephesus. It was during these missionary periods that he wrote his Epistles.
Paul's new religion had the advantage over other salvation-cults of being attached to the Hebrew Scriptures, which Paul now reinterpreted as forecasting the salvation-death of Jesus. This gave Pauline Christianityan awesome authority that proved attractive to Gentiles thirsting for salvation. Paul's new doctrine, however, met with disapproval from the Jewish-Christians of the Jerusalem Church, who regarded the substitution of Jesus' atoning death for the observance of the Torah as a lapse into paganism. Paul was summoned to Jerusalem by the leaders James (Jesus' brother), Peter, and John to explain his doctrine (c.50).
At the ensuing conference, agreement was reached that Paul's Gentile converts did not need to observe the Torah. This was not a revolutionary decision, since Judaism had never insisted on full conversion to Judaism for Gentiles. But Paul on this occasion concealed his belief that the Torah was no longer valid for Jews either. He was thus confirmed in the role of "apostle to the Gentiles," with full permission to enroll Gentiles in the messianic movement without requiring full conversion to Judaism.
It was when Peter visited him in Antioch and became aware of the full extent of Paul's views that a serious rift began between Pauline and Jewish Christianity. At a second conference in Jerusalem (c.55), Paul was accused by James of teaching Jews"to turn their backs on Moses" (Acts 21:21). Again, however, Paul evaded the charge by concealing his views, and he agreed to undergo a test of his own observance of theTorah. His deception, however, was detected by a group of "Asian Jews" (probably Jewish Christians) who were aware of his real teaching. A stormy protestensued in which Paul feared for his life and was rescued by the Roman police, to whomhe declared for his protection that he was aRoman citizen. This surprising announcement was the end of Paul's association with the Jerusalem Church, to whom the Romans were the chief enemy.
The Roman commandant, Claudius Lysias, decided to bring Paul before the Sanhedrin in order to discover the cause of the disturbance. With great presence of mind, Paul appealed to the Pharisee majority to acquit him, claiming to be a Pharisee like James. Paul was rescued by the Pharisees from the high priest, like Peter before him. However, the high priest, resenting this escape, appointed a body of men to assassinate Paul. Learning of the plot, Paul again placed himself under the protection of the Romans, who transported him by armed guard from Jerusalem to Caesarea. The High Priest Ananias was implacable, no doubt because of Paul's defection from his police task in Damascus, and laid a charge of anti-Roman activity against him.
Paul appealed for a trial in Rome before Caesar, his right as a Roman citizen. The assertion of Acts that the Jewish "elders" were also implicated in the charges against Paul is unhistorical, since these same elders had just acquitted him in his Sanhedrin trial. Paul was sent to Rome, and here our information ends. Legends speak of his eventual martyrdom in Rome.
Paul's authentic voice is found in his Epistles. Here he appears as an eloquent writer, skilled in asserting his authority overhis converts as their inspired teacher.
The view often asserted, however, that Paulwrites in the style of a rabbi is incorrect. Hisoccasional attempts to argue in rabbinical style (e.g., Romans 7:1-6) reveal his lack of knowledge of rabbinic logic. Paul's letters belong to Greek literature and have affinity to Stoic and Cynic literature. His knowledge of the Scriptures is confined to their Greek translation, the Septuagint. Paul was a religious genius, who invested Greek mystery-religion with the historical sweep and authority of the Jewish Bible.
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by hannydarl(f): 10:39am On May 19, 2012
Abeg make una no vex o GO shildren. In the good ol days true ministers and missionaries left home comfort and others to go preach to people the opened schools, feeding homes and provided shelter for brethren s who could not aFford them. Theses days preachers take from the poor and don't look back to see how they can help the poor back. When last did new generation church build a school where the poor can attend? When have they provided lunch for poor kids? How many sick people have they sponsored for treatment? God is watching. Abeg their worshipers should not bite me oooooooo.

1 Like

Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by MAURI: 11:21am On May 19, 2012
@OP, even if his actions seem deplorabe to you, it would not be so wise for you to challeng him in public in the manner you said.

Extremists theists who do not think rationally are everywhere and you are very likely to suffer massive prosecution from them if you do such a thing.

Should this be a reason not to ask questions? I am not surprised at the state of thing in Nigeria presently, considering majority of the irrational responses to this post. If the so called Oyedepo will not be civilised, decent and modest enough to answer question posed to him by and individual demanding clarification on issues unclear to him, is he, Oyedepo then befitting of the respect bestowed / ascribed to him by a large portion of the Nigerian society?
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by Nobody: 11:22am On May 19, 2012
Its the same with Nigerians all over the world, we find it difficult to get over our ancient fear of witches, witchcraft and societal norms in order to proceed into the emerging world; it is actually a sign of our intellectual weakness and men like Oyedepo and Adeboye will continue to smile to the bank because of that. Out here in the States, if you mingle too much with Nigerians, you will see how they look at you if you fail to attend Church on Sunday..its highly frustrating trying to reason with them and to let them understand that the Kingdom of God is now within and all around us, and that your neighbour is now infact God to you, therefore whatsoever you do to the least of your brethren you do unto God..the Church is an outdated institution
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by Bestlyf: 11:30am On May 19, 2012
Ozegbe:
If God calls me, why not. But i wont just wake up one morning and just because i think i now understand the bible, go and open a church.
BTW the last i checked when david was chosen by GOD amidst his other brother, nothing much was heard.of the them.
BUT in our modern day pastors once you ''MAKE'' it all your family members becomes senior pastors.
well, the bible from start to finish, is it not about a family, Israel? God reigned in the old testament and transfer the mantle to his son Jesus in the NT What do you call that?
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by Bestlyf: 11:39am On May 19, 2012
Ozegbe: Imagine what he has done to some people brains.
www.nairaland.com/939913/101-reasons-pay-tithe
We all are product of what someone has done to our own brain. I believe it is what you read in that book that did somethimg to your brain. Sn you are not exempted from being influenced or brainwashed.
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by omalicha89: 12:08pm On May 19, 2012
buzugee: i hope you have slap-proof cheeks. goodluck with that quest
[color=#006600][/color]
Lwkmd grin
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by adetunrayo(f): 12:30pm On May 19, 2012
next topic pls
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by basadenet: 12:50pm On May 19, 2012
Very soon i mean very soon somebody will surely challenge this so call Man of God My foot. I advise that you go ahead if you can.
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by betrani(m): 1:09pm On May 19, 2012
buzugee: LOL guys, what is oyedepo famed for ? for slapping the crap out of witches and wizards. why does he do it ? he believes his slaps are strong and divine enough to destroy the satan in them. grin
but d bible points it out that the weapons of our warfare are not canal! Is it a spiritual or physical battle?
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by Skoopy(m): 5:53pm On May 19, 2012
boladonas: they will so beat you and everybody that has ever known you will be unable to recognise you. Never dare a lion in his own den!!!
my thought...A word they say is enough for the wise.
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by Skoopy(m): 6:01pm On May 19, 2012
moyeen morra: i knw ishldnt write this here .......but i never sabi this thing wella.
if u wnt 2 respond 2 som1's thread in any, just click on quote post.
Join us in havin fun in in our tribalized Nairaland...lol.
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by postemail: 6:30pm On May 19, 2012
I think we deceive ourselves in this country:
How can we be one of the most religious countries, and yet we are top on the corruption list.
We clamour for freedom of expression, but ppl on the forum are often calling on moderators to censor opinion.
We say gov't is corrupt, yet when we are part of gov't we repeat the same corrupt acts.
Churches abound preaching spiritual healing, but we are dying physically...sickness caused by dirty living

I think we deceive ourselves in this country
Life is tough here, we made it so. People are sad, look at their faces.
We live under threat of intimidation,... thugs are everywhere.
We say we are religious, in this forge called Nigeria ? I doubt.

I think we deceive ourselves in this country:
If you are in doubt , check our newspapers , you'll read the following:
Death, sickness, poverty, theft, embezzlement, bribery, intimidation, thuggery,
Illiteracy, ego, hatred, envy, murder, inhumane... Inhumane... Inhuman...inhumane... Inhumane.
I think we deceive ourselves in this country!
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by tlops(m): 6:45pm On May 19, 2012
If your questions are sensible enough and not derogatory I believe he will answer them.
however, not all questions deserve answers...
Goodluck Jonathan to you.
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by dasparrow: 7:26pm On May 19, 2012
Ozegbe: After reading MAN OF GOD FEEDING THE (or) ON THE SHEEP.
I learnt so many things and i will advice any christain who wants to live a fulfiling life according to the word of God read this book too, so you wont fall prey.
NOW back to the topic...very soon and i mean sooooon i will attend one of oyedepo's sunday service and interrupt his sermon with some highly disturbing questions, and i hope he will answer accordingly because whatever he does that day will be recorded.
AM JUST TIRED OF ALL THESE FRAUD STAR AND I THINK IS TIME SOMEBODY GIVES ANSWER TO REAL LIFE QUESTIONS

I don't think that that is a good idea. You must keep in mind the country you are in: Nigeria. In Nigeria, many "christians" worship their pastors and if you try to challenge their 'god', they will not hesitate to beat you up because to them, their pastor can do no wrong. He is their 'god' here on earth and must never be questioned or criticized so be careful with this plan of yours.
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 19, 2012
Una still dey here?

Ozegbe, tomorrow is sunday, find your way to otta and let us know how it went.
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by truetalk4real: 9:29pm On May 19, 2012
After reading 50% of people's comment I decided to register on nairaland, I am surprise α̣̣̥
п̥̥
đ disappointed by peoples comment why did u people believe t̶̲̥̅̊
h̶̲̥̅̊
ɑ̣̣̝̇̇
τ̲̣̣̥
winners member will beat him up for asking question bishop is a human being like us fine he is a man of god α̣̣̥
п̥̥
đ people show some respect no problem abt t̶̲̥̅̊
h̶̲̥̅̊
ɑ̣̣̝̇̇
τ̲̣̣̥
but why do people worship him so much people believe in him some much t̶̲̥̅̊
h̶̲̥̅̊
ɑ̣̣̝̇̇
τ̲̣̣̥
τ̲̣̣̥
h̶̲̥̅̊
є̲̣̣̣̥
ÿ̲̣̣̣̥
forget t̶̲̥̅̊
h̶̲̥̅̊
ɑ̣̣̝̇̇
τ̲̣̣̥
oyedepo was created by God, anyway as far as am concern let him ask question, after all God said ask α̣̣̥
п̥̥
đ it shall be answered. Oyedepo is a man of god α̣̣̥
п̥̥
đ I believe he will be patient enough to listen to any body. If u r sure of oyedepo let him ans any question.
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by Nobody: 10:09pm On May 19, 2012
Maturity demands you write him on any issue you feel you want him to improve on and go on to pray for him if you believe.
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by Nobody: 10:54pm On May 19, 2012
people are just talking about slaps as if OP was a kid. "to challenge" is good, but it depends on how you do it. I won't call it a challenge anyway... undecided
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by charles424(m): 1:30am On May 20, 2012
Well if somebody call a man of God can slap a woman for reason best known to him..I wonder what he will use on a man like you..do your will first before you embark on your journey of no return..I pity you oooo
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by Reptyle(m): 3:18am On May 20, 2012
Ozegbe:
If God calls me, why not. But i wont just wake up one morning and just because i think i now understand the bible, go and open a church.
BTW the last i checked when david was chosen by GOD amidst his other brother, nothing much was heard.of the them.
BUT in our modern day pastors once you ''MAKE'' it all your family members becomes senior pastors.

After David was chosen by God, his brothers were all buried alive as a sacrifice to Dagon...that was why nothing much was heard of them anymore. grin grin grin na wah for you o! So if your brother be king now, na gateman you go be for em house abi U sef chekam na...
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by Ozegbe(m): 4:29pm On May 20, 2012
4bobo: @op
if u never heard about story of arc bishop idahosa and a young pastor, i will quickly tell u. The young pastor in a conference stood up intentionally to ask bishop an humiliating and embarassing questions in the presence of international ministers. After pulsing for a while, the only answer the bishop gave was YOU ARE FINISHED. Within 7 days, the young man was dead. Pls dont create death sentence for ur self.
arrant nonsense
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by chocome: 4:48pm On May 20, 2012
Hi Oz, pls inform me befor going to winners so that i can arrange amblance on ground for you cos i believe say na hospital you go land after receiving the slap
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by kenny2u(m): 7:21pm On May 20, 2012
Goat!
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by e4edward: 10:04pm On May 20, 2012
I suggest u challenge his achievements, reputation and national contributions first by achieving and contributing better, then u can challenge him...
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by scenario9ize: 12:11am On May 21, 2012
dont ask questions you have answers to.
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by tobsonkings: 7:50am On May 21, 2012
One thin is certain, even if u set up a website ti criticise this men of god, dy will continue to preach gods word nd d chUrch will continue to grow. I pity u all. I wonder if u all even believe in god!
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by Prince2012: 8:44am On May 21, 2012
Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults--unless, of course, you want the same treatment. Go find smtin els 2 talk abt, criticsss.
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by akyus(m): 5:40pm On May 21, 2012
There are many people who suffer heart attacks just because a neighbour is doing fine. Why did Cain have to kill Abel? All this noise will not move the man of God an inch. He started small, all this petty jealousies can only move someone who suddenly becomes wealthy over night.
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by akyus(m): 6:03pm On May 21, 2012
You will be doing a larger portion of Nigerians good if you can take questions to Aso rock. Or else, seek legal advice if you have issues concerning his ministry. Oyedepo is not a god, he is not above the law.
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by Beautymc(f): 6:40pm On May 21, 2012
I can't stop laughing at the poster. I guess u are kidding
Re: One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. by Beautymc(f): 6:43pm On May 21, 2012
At poster, how many times have u interrupted the leaders of this nation? They are ur major problem and not the man of God. Challenge them first, ok.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

It Is Only One Sin That Sends People To Hell Fire / Nigerian Catholics Begin Rosary Challenge Live On Instagram / Worshipers Defy Flood To Attend Church Service (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.