Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,860 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

Bankers' Forum - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bankers' Forum (89829 Views)

For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be / Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? / Why Are Some Female Customer Care Assistant Bankers Hyper-reactive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bankers' Forum by seun001(m): 5:26pm On Dec 05, 2007
Lauradee01:

I don't normally comment on threads like this, but i guess it's high time that Nigerian bank workers should stop deceiving themselves as bankers. It is so annoying that customer service, compliance, marketing department, cashier, , trusteeship, broker, asset manager, custodian, even gatemen etc all call themselves BANKERS in Nigeria; so far they work in a bank. Please wake up to reality, you guys are not banker but going bonkers, you're just bank workers.

It's just very painful when you see graduates with high level of intelligence, going around misusing words. I came across someone last december who works in transfer calling herself a banker[/color]

So,
Oga Slakay.Who is a banker?

i wonder oo!i had to scramble for my dictionary.
Re: Bankers' Forum by slaykay07: 5:35pm On Dec 05, 2007
Seun001,

Can't believe you said sales executives are bankers, we call them client management here. How can you call an OND sales person, AN EXECUTIVE. Guess you're the right person to agrue with, no disrespect.

I don't look down on anyone in Nigeria because it's the Nigeria bank money that sponsored me here to obtain all my qulaifications. (Thanks to my mother) So for you to say i don't keep tabs on Nigeria, you must be mistaken because i visit that country four times every year and i've families in the tail end of manangement in the banking/Investment industry.

I've spoken to top directors in Nigerian banks about the way low ranked staffs call themselves BANKERS, and all of them said Nigerian love to boast of what they aren't and that keeps them happy.

Like one of them said : "if that motivates them why not keep lying to them until they come across someone who'll blow their bubble".

Seun001, hopefully we would sit down one day and take about it and i can bet you would agree with me as top directors of the two biggest banks in Nigeria did.
Re: Bankers' Forum by sabak: 5:50pm On Dec 05, 2007
Mr Yankee banker, see how rudely you are attempting to correct people on an issue u know next to nothing about. pls let the half baked knowledge you have humble you.

for your information, a banker is an institution or a person who is certified by the recognised body for professional banking professionals in the country in which the institution or person is operating or practicing as the case may be.

needless to say that it has nothing to do with your level in the bank. in a properly regulated environment, certain positions in a bank can only be occupied by a banker(certified banking professionals) and in some cases, a certain lenght of experience is required. that is why you think that being an officer  and above automatically qualifies one to be a banker, which is wrong. it can only be right is the so called officer is certified by the regulating body  for banking professionals in the country of practice or has been certified by any other international  banking professional body that is recognised in the country in which he is practicing.

in the case of Nigeria, the recognised body for professional bankers is the chartered institute of bankers of Nigeria, and any one who is in practice and is an associate  member of the institute is a banker , irrespective of whether he is an assistant banking officer or an executive director, so be guided
Re: Bankers' Forum by Cecegrace(f): 5:56pm On Dec 05, 2007
Hey slaykay07,

I have to get some things straight here:-

Are you a Nigerian? Tribe? Time you left the country border?, infact there are so many questions.

You talk in a disdainful manner. Wow do you have to talk to Nigerians in such a manner. At least am happy you said that Nigerian money was one of the factors that facilitated your going abroad.

If you must know, there are some people that like to boast, so you leave them if that makes them happy, that doesnt warrant you raining abuse on a nation like Nigeria.

But I would like to advise you, Nigeria and that place you are staying is a world apart. We have our own terms of descriptions and they have theirs. So please stop comparing Nigeria to which ever country you are staying at the moment.

As for your cousin embarrasing you, maybe you didnt warn him on time.

Get the gist boy![quote][/quote]nothing goes for nothing
Re: Bankers' Forum by slaykay07: 5:57pm On Dec 05, 2007
I hope oneday all these misuse of position name would end in Nigeria. I can remember my silly uncle who have to many times to stop including Engineer in front of his name (Enr. Slaykay), it's the highest level of ignorance.

Conversation between me and my so-called Engineer Uncle

Kay: Pls stop introducing yourself as Engineer ,  to my friends pls take if off your letterhead and put it as a footer.
Uncle: That's the way it is here, you can't come to tell us what is right or wrong, it has been like these for donkey years
Kay: I'm very sure you know it's wrong because you studied in MIT (massachusetts)
Uncle: I know my dear, but that's the way it is here. If you don't include it in your name people here won't respect you.
Kay: Okay i see, but pls don't include it in your daughter's wedding invitation
Uncle: You're unbelievable, that's is where it is most required. LOL!!!!!!!
Kay: LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Bankers' Forum by Cecegrace(f): 6:07pm On Dec 05, 2007
[/quote]I hope oneday all these misuse of position name would end in Nigeria. I can remember my silly uncle who have to many times to stop including Engineer in front of his name (Enr. Slaykay), it's the highest level of ignorance.

Conversation between me and my so-called Engineer Uncle

Kay: Please stop introducing yourself as Engineer ,   to my friends please take if off your letterhead and put it as a footer.
Uncle: That's the way it is here, you can't come to tell us what is right or wrong, it has been like these for donkey years
Kay: I'm very sure you know it's wrong because you studied in MIT (massachusetts)
Uncle: I know my dear, but that's the way it is here. If you don't include it in your name people here won't respect you.
Kay: Okay i see, but please don't include it in your daughter's wedding invitation
Uncle: You're unbelievable, that's is where it is most required. LOL!!!!!!!
Kay: LOL!!!!!!!!!!

What is your problem? It seems as if you are out to condemn Nigerians to the last drop of your blood.

Anyway I don't have to waste my time on you. It is left between you and your 'SILLY' Uncle as you rightly said to settle your differences.

If you feel that you are a positive katalyst, come down to Nigeria and improve things or better still, you can talk to President Yar'Adua to give us some lecture on how to design letter heads.

Wonders shall never end, imagine a little boy calling his uncle "SILLY UNCLE"
nothing goes for nothing
[quote]
Re: Bankers' Forum by slaykay07: 6:08pm On Dec 05, 2007
I[b] am not here to abuse or engage in verbal insult with anyone.[/b]
[size=8pt][/size]
Sabak,

You have gone to read out a dictionary to us. Please you should know that dictionaries are for general knowledge not industry standard. I agree with you on being certified, guess i assumed people should be brillant enough to know what an officer is and what it takes to be an officer( minimum experience and qualification).

I was born into a family of bankers, so i know what am saying and secondly, people who are top ED and MD of Nigeria bank have agreed with me on several occassions.
Pls read my post again, because i was referring to graduates calling themselves bankers.
Re: Bankers' Forum by Cecegrace(f): 6:13pm On Dec 05, 2007
Slaykay07, you havent answered some of my questions yet. Like the country you are from, your tribe if actually you are a Nigerian and what really got into you to start abusing Nigerians like?[quote][/quote]nothing goes for nothing
Re: Bankers' Forum by slaykay07: 6:14pm On Dec 05, 2007
We Nigerians and sentiments LOL!!!!!!!

Why is my fellow freind Cecegrace trying to add sentiment because i called my uncle silly, come'on i call anyone silly if i believe they lack seriousness.
Re: Bankers' Forum by Cecegrace(f): 6:18pm On Dec 05, 2007
Come on, from you reply I guess you are a Nigerian, but your tribe and your motives for insulting Nigerians and Nairaland?
Re: Bankers' Forum by slaykay07: 6:20pm On Dec 05, 2007
Cecegrace,

I'm Nigerian and can you pls point out where i was insulting Nigerian?
Re: Bankers' Forum by seun001(m): 6:24pm On Dec 05, 2007
@slaykay,

i didnt say that marketers are called sales executives in the banking industry,was alluding to what pertains in other sectors of the economy.actually they are also called bankers.

but chill,am also of the opinion that it's supposed to be called bank worker but due to ego and the state of unemployment in the country,it might do well to call it as such.
Re: Bankers' Forum by slaykay07: 6:28pm On Dec 05, 2007
Seun001,

I respect you and your candid opinion.Guess na condition make crayfish bend as my dear Mum would say. LOL!!!!

Seun, what do you do?
Re: Bankers' Forum by daynike(f): 6:36pm On Dec 05, 2007
if you are tired of working in the bank,pls kindly resign.why are you guys always show your ingratitude towards god.thieves stop complaining,what about the pay that you earn.is that one no go area,resign so that we the potential bankers can have space
Re: Bankers' Forum by slaykay07: 6:41pm On Dec 05, 2007
But seriously, why do Nigerians quickly add senitments to things. I remember a Nigerian associate of mine, who i told to pull his weight, which lead to him telling me that he's older than me and if not because of condition i shouldn't be his boss and that if i petition him, he would go back to Nigeria and report to my parents ( i don't even known how he knew my parents). Wonder shall never end. I found out that he was a bank worker that use to process my school fees when i was in secondary school in Nigeria

We are both good friends now.
Re: Bankers' Forum by slaykay07: 6:43pm On Dec 05, 2007
Daynike,

I like the word "potential banker".
Re: Bankers' Forum by Cecegrace(f): 6:43pm On Dec 05, 2007
Slaykay07,

Your tune said it all. May be you go back to all your post especially on the one talking on Banker stuff.

There are some mild words, phrases and sentences you should have used. Instead of using insulting and authoritative words as if you are ordering people to stop using word.

You are only making suggestions. So you would have soften your tune okay?
Re: Bankers' Forum by seun001(m): 6:44pm On Dec 05, 2007
@slaykay,
y,am also a bank worker na,y will i keep tabs with the bankers forum if i aint got an interest there hmm!but still u work in a bank, u should be called a banker period.if its a nigerian thing then so shall it be and thats how we do our thing besides we don't put it before our names abi how does this sound,

good morning all,let me introduce our guest today, Banker Oloriskondo Korodo, applause grin
Re: Bankers' Forum by slaykay07: 7:30pm On Dec 05, 2007
Banker Oloriskondo Korodo
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Bankers' Forum by sabak: 7:31pm On Dec 05, 2007
slaykay,
            u are just an arogant illiterate,  ur halfbaked exposure has so buried ur intuition that u dont have the capacity to learn. how in the world does coming from a family of bankers confer a superior knowledge of english language to u. for ur infomation i was not giving u a dictionary definition, i was educating u on  something u do not know jack about.

the point i am making to u is that some people who  have posts in this thread are bankers by all ramifications, whether in nigerian context, lingual context or industry context,  so ur ignorance couldnt let u see that before making a general aspersion in a manner  only uneducated and half baked upstarts can. superior knowledge humbles people, and ur outbursts here only serve to conclude that u have got none. pick ur manners when next u are contributing in a public arena

i am even sure that u are working in one of those backwater- one shop banks, come here come dey run mouth
Re: Bankers' Forum by slaykay07: 7:47pm On Dec 05, 2007
Sabak,

I can only laugh. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin

How i wish you know-------
Re: Bankers' Forum by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 05, 2007
Think banking, Think Oceanic

We are the best, we love the stress it gives us the money
Re: Bankers' Forum by seun001(m): 10:05am On Dec 06, 2007
na wa ooo!no be fight na!
Re: Bankers' Forum by monna: 10:54am On Dec 06, 2007
Hi all!
Am new in the forum. I work with an Asset and Portfolio Mgt coy. quite stressfull and demanding, but not as the Banking Industry. I would'nt lie, It's always being my dream to build my career in Finance industry most especially the banking industry. My reason for studying finance and banking, sitting for NIM, CIBN/ACCA and CISA.
Professionalism is just my watch word.
I need your advice on the banking industry, which supports career dev. the most, and how to really get in?
Re: Bankers' Forum by Nobody: 12:12pm On Dec 06, 2007
Hello,
Re: Bankers' Forum by gbokukueba(m): 12:28pm On Dec 06, 2007
Hello bankers,
i just joined the bank that experiences peace 4 weeks ago. I am really enjoying myself although the unit i am posted to is not what i wanted initially but i beleive after 6 months i want to move to another unit prefferably a branch and RBG or any other unit is there anyone that can help me. before i came into the bank i had over 2 years experience in marketing, i dont know if i should still continue but for now am resting.
Re: Bankers' Forum by seun001(m): 12:36pm On Dec 06, 2007
aysometin:

Hello,
Can anyone here help to check my acccount balance for My FCMB savings account, don't have time to go the bank now.
if u can please send me and addy i shuld send my account number to.thanx.
I hail all the bankers here o.

na wa ooo!how abt going to their website
Re: Bankers' Forum by Nobody: 12:42pm On Dec 06, 2007
@Seun 001,
Have been there, just trying another alternative, since they said they will get back to me.
Any probs with that, why do we have bankers forum, if nairalanders that need help cant be helped.
Re: Bankers' Forum by seun001(m): 1:04pm On Dec 06, 2007
i dont think FCMB gives their staff access to the internet during working hours except some peeps that directly need it.some banks outrightly dont give access,thats y some banks are not represented here.
Re: Bankers' Forum by slaykay07: 2:25pm On Dec 06, 2007
monna,

I seriously don't understand why you would want to move from an asset management company into retail banking. i know people that would kill to move into investment management from retail or corporate banking. Only if you're not really involved in the asset management work within your firm
Re: Bankers' Forum by slaykay07: 2:51pm On Dec 06, 2007
I decided to use figures back up my initial post. I personally know a fund manager in my firm collecting $6million as bonus NOT salary; just bonus for 2007. So guess you really need to think about your move.

I'm not sure how much bonus, fund managers get in Nigeria but if your fund performs well, means you're looking at big fat bonus this december. D

Don't forget everyone is smiling in Nigeria at the momment due to the bull market, so what do you think fund manager's bonus would be this december? BIG FAT BONUS if you ask me.
Re: Bankers' Forum by seun001(m): 2:55pm On Dec 06, 2007
slaykay07:

I decided to use figures back up my initial post. I personally know a fund manager in my firm collecting $6million as bonus NOT salary; just bonus for 2007. So guess you really need to think about your move.

I'm not sure how much bonus, fund managers get in Nigeria but if your fund performs well, means you're looking at big fat bonus this december. D

Don't forget everyone is smiling in Nigeria at the momment due to the bull market, so what do you think fund manager's bonus would be this december? BIG FAT BONUS if you ask me.

what!!!!! shocked, i don't think that happens in nigeria because if it does peeps will kill to be there.
no wonder my peeps up there are into investment management.or maybe its happening already but it aint public knowledge yet.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

Pay Structure of Most Nigerian companies as at February 2017 / My 6 Months Experience As An Uber/bolt Driver In Abuja / 10 Jobs That Look Poor But Are Very Lucrative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.