Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police (24362 Views)

Farouk Lawan To Be Remanded In Prison Till February 9? / Farouk Lawan Trial Starts Next Week. / Police To Declare Farouk Lawan Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jun 13, 2012
It is one thing to deny collecting a bribe. It sort of puts one in the clear, at least until proven guilty. But it is an entirely different thing to reiterate such statement later on saying you actually collected the bribe just to expose the ‘giver’ of the bribe.

Such is the nature of the controversy currently raging between the Chairman of the House of Representatives’ ad hoc committee that probed the fuel subsidy regime, Hon. Farouk Lawan, and the Chairman of Zenon Oil and Gas, Mr. Femi Otedola.

In an earlier testimony, Hon. Lawan denied collecting a $620,000 fuel subsidy bribe from Mr. Otedola.

In response to news reports circulating on the alleged bribe, Hon. Lawan, initially issued a statement denying his involvement in the scam.

My attention has been drawn to several newspapers and internet stories alleging that a prominent member of the House Adhoc Committee on Petroleum subsidy demanded and received the sum of $600,000.00 as bribe from an oil marketer.

I wish to categorically deny that I or any member of the committee demanded and received any bribe from anybody in connection with the fuel subsidy probe and I believe this is evident from the thorough and in depth manner the investigation was carried out and the all-encompassing recommendations produced therefrom as approved by the whole House.

He went on to say that the allegations were in an attempt to discredit the Fuel Subsidy report and divert the attention of the public from the real issues of large scale.

Barely 24 hours later, he reversed his earlier statement and admitted that he collected $620,000 from Mr. Otedola to doctor the panel’s report. He told journalists that he collected the money after Otedola approached him, adding that he informed the police and his colleagues about it.

Otedola, on his part, has agreed offering the money to Lawan; adding that it was part of a sting operation initiated by security agencies after he had reported that the committee demanded $3 million from him not to list his companies as part of those indicted in the report.

Otedola had alleged that the lawmaker pressed him for a bribe to remove his firm from the list of companies indicted by his committee for oil subsidy fraud. He said the request compelled him to involve security agencies in a sting to catch Lawan.

The Otedola-security agents’ collaboration was said to have led to a video recording of Lawan receiving a $500,000 bribe with a promise to remove Otedola’s company’s name from the list. The Clerk of the Lawal-led panel, Boniface Emenalo, also received $100,000 as part of the $3m allegedly negotiated with Otedola by Lawan.

In the latest development, Mr. Otedola appeared before the Police Special Task Force in Abuja yesterday to brief investigators on his own side of the story. He reportedly spent about an hour answering questions from detectives in the Special Task force team headed by Commissioner of Police Ali Ahmadu.

The police had invited Lawan but the lawmaker did not honour the invitation to appear before the panel on Tuesday.

However, media reports claim that a police source has established that Mr. Lawan initiated the contact with Mr. Otedola and demanded a bribe in exchange for removing two of Otedola’s firms from adverse reports that would beam an investigative searchlight on the theft of hundreds of millions of dollars in oil subsidy funds.

The police also confirmed that the SSS worked with Mr. Otedola to videotape the bribe and also snooped on several phone conversation between the Zenon executive and the legislator.

Police sources said that they believed Mr. Lawan contacted them to report that he was in possession of bribe money only after he realized that the currencies were marked.

Following Otedola’s statement, the Police authorities, have tagged Lawan as the ‘prime suspect’ in their investigations and are expected to make their move anytime soon.

Otedola said he can’t be accused of being a bribe giver because the money in question was handed to him in its entirety by the State Security Service (SSS).

This latest corruption saga has drawn the attention away from the initial fuel subsidy probe. However, Nigerians and indeed, the international community are eagerly watching to see what would be the outcome of this.

http://www.bellanaija.com/2012/06/13/femi-otedola-vs-farouk-lawan-the-allegations-counter-allegations-of-the-620000-bribery-scandal/

Moderator front Page we have the thief grin

2 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jun 13, 2012
Now its time for the legislators to fight back and Deal with the subsidy robbers. I love Cold war. cool

3 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by ibide(m): 10:10pm On Jun 13, 2012
Am going to watch what is next
Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by onatisi(m): 10:14pm On Jun 13, 2012
CHESSBOARD: Now its time for the legislators to fight back and Deal with the subsidy robbers. I love Cold war. cool
pls stop been a fool cant you see that both of them are thieves , lawan collected money ALONE with no witness with the excuse of wanting to use it against the person , why did he go alone why not with another person , why did he even agreed to take the money . the point is this lawan is a barawo and otedola is an ole

3 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by naijaking1: 10:23pm On Jun 13, 2012
onatisi:
pls stop been a fool cant you see that both of them are thieves , lawan collected money ALONE with no witness with the excuse of wanting to use it against the person , why did he go alone why not with another person , why did he even agreed to take the money . the point is this lawan is a barawo and otedola is an ole

If you're shaken down by a powerful law maker like Lawan, what would you do? Most Nigerians will certaily cower down and pay the bribe. Otedola went to the authorities for help and was given marked dollar bills, how does that make him a culprit? He's a hero!!!

9 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Germannig: 10:40pm On Jun 13, 2012
How does marking the money help here assuming the money has disappeared and no longer available as evidence of bribery? Marking money is only useful if still available as evidence, no? The security men should have arrested the bribe taker to recover the marked money as soon as it was accepted. I think both Otedola and Lawan have more explanations to make.

6 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by bumie07(m): 10:42pm On Jun 13, 2012
I will never support wot everybody is saying concerning this issue...how can we in our right sense belief that farouk will threating otedola to pay him bribe? Am not supporting farouk here o,both of them are rogues and shud be thrown into a jail...you don't head 2 big oil companies and risen to that status of Otedola for a person like farouk to be threatening you
Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Detongue: 12:31am On Jun 14, 2012
Lawan is a cheap tif
Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by koruji(m): 3:28am On Jun 14, 2012
You don't understand law. Are you trying to say that Otedola arranged with the police to have marked dollars paid to somebody that did not ask or angling for a bribe? Don't be blinded by your prejudices.

I remember Otedola openly said during the probe that his company was not involved in the subsidy saga - that might have been the basis for the threat by Farouk and his probe committee i.e. "pay up or we will list you as one of the culprits".

Not that I hold brief for Otedola - God knows you cannot hold a nose to how business is transacted in Nigeria.

But in this case, probably because he was sure of his non-involvement in the subsidy saga, Otedola did what all citizens threatened with bribery should do. Go to the authorities and ask for help.

If this continues to be the case, then Otedola would be in the clear and that Farouk is all done and only waiting to be eating.

bumie07: I will never support wot everybody is saying concerning this issue...how can we in our right sense belief that farouk will threating otedola to pay him bribe? Am not supporting farouk here o,both of them are rogues and shud be thrown into a jail...you don't head 2 big oil companies and risen to that status of Otedola for a person like farouk to be threatening you

4 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Kobojunkie: 3:38am On Jun 14, 2012
It has been about a week since these allegations have been floating around. I am still asking the very same question, if there exists video and audio evidence as claimed, why is Lawan still waiting a free man? Why hasn't he been arrested and charged? What is the police, and SSS waiting for? undecided undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Nobody: 4:01am On Jun 14, 2012
Where is Otedola now?

If this story is true, we need to find out how long he's been bribing and who else he has been bribing. Lawan might end up being not guilty, but that will not make Otedola's hand any cleaner.
Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Nobody: 4:14am On Jun 14, 2012
Otedola is a smart man, little wonder he is a billionaire, little Lawan wanted to become billionaire by not working for it. politicians and their hypocrisy. Street is military, to succeed, you got to be a soldier. Lawan isnt street and will never be. I never expected Lawan to own up his shameful action, but, in totality, he knows he is down and out. If he does not go to jail, then, I will give up on Nigeria's justice system

12 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by koruji(m): 4:20am On Jun 14, 2012
Otedola is a free man because it was a sting operation, but as you implied business in Nigeria will take all the oxygen out of the air if you try to smell it!!!

In this case, I believe Otedola protected himself by turning into a police informant.

The joke might be on Farouk trying to set up Otedola, not realizing that he was actually the one going into a trap.

Anyway, how you dey?

Ileke-IdI:
Where is Otedola now?
If this story is true, we need to find out how long he's been bribing and who else he has been bribing. Lawan might end up being not guilty, but that will not make Otedola's hand any cleaner.

3 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Nobody: 4:20am On Jun 14, 2012
Is Farouk Lawan, the chairman of the House of Representatives Ad Hoc Committee which investigated the fuel subsidy issue about to be declared wanted by the police?

Sources in Abuja have told SaharaReporters that in view of Mr. Lawan’s failure to honour an invitation to him to tell his side of the scandalous bribery story that is sweeping the country, he may be declared wanted after today.

Following the fast-moving events of the past couple of days, in particular the accusations and counter-accusations between the Lawan and Femi Otedola, the chairman of Zenon Oil from whom the chairman seems to have accepted half a million dollars in bribes, Lawan was expected to have been interrogated by the police yesterday. Sources at Force Headquarters say that Mr. Lawan neither showed up yesterday, as did Mr. Otedola, nor has he been seen today.

PREMIUM TIMES reported extensively today about how the People’s Democratic Party has been scrambling hard to cover up the embarrassing bribery scandal.

Abuja sources said that Commissioner of Police Ali Amodu, who heads the Special Task that is investigating the scandal, has not set eyes on Mr. Lawan.

The chairman of the ad hoc committee of the House of Representatives, who gained celebrity status overnight on account of the committee, has had fresh spotlight turned on him over the alleged bribe of $500,000 he received from Mr. Otedola to shield the Zenon Oil chief from embarrassment. Our sources say that Mr. Lawan and Mr. Otedola were both contacted by the police through the National Assembly management.

Mr. Otedola was interrogated yesterday.
Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by queensmith: 6:27am On Jun 14, 2012
so whats gonna happen to the companies implicated in the subsidy scandal? and why did they even bother to trick this man? It doesn't make any sense, are they trying to discredit the panel?
It's unprofessional to indulge in such at a crucial time like this, resources should have been focused on getting to the bottom of things not conjuring up more scandals when other matters remain unresolved.
Nigeria sha, they know how to dramatize things.

2 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Nobody: 6:34am On Jun 14, 2012
koruji: Otedola is a free man because it was a sting operation, but as you implied business in Nigeria will take all the oxygen out of the air if you try to smell it!!!

In this case, I believe Otedola protected himself by turning into a police informant.

The joke might be on Farouk trying to set up Otedola, not realizing that he was actually the one going into a trap.

Anyway, how you dey?

Mehn, that would suck.

It would be a case of "who reported who FIRST". Awww I feel sorry for Lawan, he looks like such an innocent, gentle cutie pie. Somehow I wish he is actually innocent, just caught up in this mess. Awww sad

If he's acutally a criminal, it would suck. But i still feel that they need to investigate that Otedola, he has that criminalish look like he could kill someone in his sleep. tongue

1 Like

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Nobody: 8:05am On Jun 14, 2012
onatisi:

Of course I know, for now i cant swear for LAWAN, He is the biggest smart fool. You dont rub oil and dance with the devil close to a burning fire, he can easily push you into the fire. So lets see if he is really a game player
Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 14, 2012
naijaking1:

If you're shaken down by a powerful law maker like Lawan, what would you do? Most Nigerians will certaily cower down and pay the bribe. Otedola went to the authorities for help and was given marked dollar bills, how does that make him a culprit? He's a hero!!!

This time he is if you ask me.

1 Like

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Nobody: 8:08am On Jun 14, 2012
Germannig: How does marking the money help here assuming the money has disappeared and no longer available as evidence of bribery? Marking money is only useful if still available as evidence, no? The security men should have arrested the bribe taker to recover the marked money as soon as it was accepted. I think both Otedola and Lawan have more explanations to make.

Have you been following this case, The real evidence is the video and audio tape. not the moola

1 Like

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by ganiujmh: 8:10am On Jun 14, 2012
First, the Executive should not shy away from the fact that it has primary responsibility to fight corruption in the country. Now it is more than obvious that OBJ was right in his assertion that we have rogues and thieves as law-makers. Lawan has no choice but to defend himself publicly after the House of Rep is trying to shine off the Executive. I am waiting to see the outcome.
Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Nobody: 8:14am On Jun 14, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Where is Otedola now?

Otedola is never a clean guy, even b4 fuel subsidy issues came up, I know how he made his money, I mean he made it very very fast, so you dont play catch-in game with a smooth criminal if you are not ready or intelligent enough,it will always backfire
Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Murphy7h4: 8:17am On Jun 14, 2012
grin grin
Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Nobody: 8:19am On Jun 14, 2012
ganiujmh: First, the Executive should not shy away from the fact that it has primary responsibility to fight corruption in the country. Now it is more than obvious that OBJ was right in his assertion that we have rogues and thieves as law-makers. Lawan has no choice but to defend himself publicly after the House of Rep is trying to shine off the Executive. I am waiting to see the outcome.

No let me correct that bolded statement, it was obvious Otedola has already shown the tape to the man who made him, which is OBJ

2 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Nobody: 8:22am On Jun 14, 2012
Billyonaire: Otedola is a smart man, little wonder he is a billionaire, little Lawan wanted to become billionaire by not working for it. politicians and their hypocrisy. Street is military, to succeed, you got to be a soldier. Lawan isnt street and will never be. I never expected Lawan to own up his shameful action, but, in totality, he knows he is down and out. If he does not go to jail, then, I will give up on Nigeria's justice system

Otedola is not just a smart guy, I call Him smooth criminal grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by SkyBlue1: 8:30am On Jun 14, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Where is Otedola now?

If this story is true, [size=14pt]we need to find out how long he's been bribing and who else he has been bribing[/size]. Lawan might end up being not guilty, but that will not make Otedola's hand any cleaner.

Could not agree more. Very important
Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 14, 2012
Kobojunkie: It has been about a week since these allegations have been floating around. I am still asking the very same question, if there exists video and audio evidence as claimed, why is Lawan still waiting a free man? Why hasn't he been arrested and charged? What is the police, and SSS waiting for? undecided undecided undecided
. I feel you. I am at wits end also. Dunno why it's taking long.
Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by olyivy(f): 9:00am On Jun 14, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Where is Otedola now?

There is nothing in this particular case to suggest that he bribed Lawan.
The guy might be crook too but this case is definitely not one of them!
Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Kobojunkie: 9:12am On Jun 14, 2012
Nigerians and their Judge&Jury mentality. Na so we siddon here last two years judge IBB, and Raymond Dokpesi guilty after reading a similar batch of allegations from the RUMOUR FACTORY, about the Independent day Bombing of October 2010.

You folks need to learn PATIENCE . . . Wait before you choose sides. All this could turn out to be yet another game of charades played by the Nigerian Media and our politicians. No one has seen the video tapes to this day, and there are various versions of the same story floating around still. No one has been arrested, and no one has been charged. Why not wait . . . make sure this is not yet another ruse to deflect the fickle attention of the people for the umpteenth time this year?
Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Nobody: 9:24am On Jun 14, 2012
This is simple and clear farouk is a thief and he will go in for it.

1 Like

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Nobody: 9:29am On Jun 14, 2012
Kobojunkie: Nigerians and their Judge&Jury mentality. Na so we siddon here last two years judge IBB, and Raymond Dokpesi guilty after reading a similar batch of allegations from the RUMOUR FACTORY, about the Independent day Bombing of October 2010.

You folks need to learn PATIENCE . . . Wait before you choose sides. All this could turn out to be yet another game of charades played by the Nigerian Media and our politicians. No one has seen the video tapes to this day, and there are various versions of the same story floating around still. No one has been arrested, and no one has been charged. Why not wait . . . make sure this is not yet another ruse to deflect the fickle attention of the people for the umpteenth time this year?
be waiting for video tape. Have you watch the videotape of how obj rigged elections or how abacha stole billions? It was a suspense filled thriller I bet.

1 Like

Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Demdem(m): 9:34am On Jun 14, 2012
Kobojunkie: It has been about a week since these allegations have been floating around. I am still asking the very same question, if there exists video and audio evidence as claimed, why is Lawan still waiting a free man? Why hasn't he been arrested and charged? What is the police, and SSS waiting for? undecided undecided undecided

Good point. However, the picture is getting clearer by the day.
Re: Farouk Lawan Contacted Us After He Discovered The Money Was Mark:police by Kobojunkie: 9:38am On Jun 14, 2012
lucenzo: be waiting for video tape. Have you watch the videotape of how obj rigged elections or how abacha stole billions? It was a suspense filled thriller I bet.

Cut the bull . . . You were told that the evidence that this took place was on some videotape/audiotape. Your own money was not stolen here and all you are going on are stories that do not all seem to line up.

Any sensible human being will choose to wait to see what happens next before jumping to conclusion on this, and knowing what the best next step should be.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

CCT Trial: Why Saraki Cannot Be Allowed To Go Like Tinubu – Justice Umar / Wike Drives A Bulldozer As He Flags Off Road Construction (Photos) / Court Restrains Victor Giadom From Parading Himself As Member APC NWC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.