Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,472 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? (5338 Views)

Does He Really Love Me, Or Love My Citizenship? / Marrying Us For U.s. Citizenship / Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by Eclairs: 2:13am On Dec 03, 2007
What do we xpt from a 30 years old man? Lookin at the age, I think he's got genuine motives cz only a silly idiot wil want to stay a play boy at 30. Whether it's for your citizenship or not, you must realise that no one eva get married when the relationship is parasitic. Basically, you wont consider marryin him if he's a liability vice versa. Perhaps, it is more to do with your citizenship but at his age, its easy to see that he's willing to settle down and in the long term, it will only be of benefit to you both if you do marry him. Unless, he's got a secret grilfriend in Nigeria which he intends to marry. Even with that, it's not goin to be easy as it isn't a contract marriage. Mind you, should he return to Nigeria after his education (which will be the worst) he cld easily get a visa on application and I would think he'd cope fine even without the c_ship you fear he's after. At the end of the day, whether he's workin with someone elses' doc or not, his own docs are genuine and we would be deceivin ourself if we say this isn't common in the US.

Tell him your fears and trust your instinct but to be honest, I don't see any reason why you can't marry him unless indeed, you're not ready for marriage. (perhaps there's still a lot of things you wish to accompanish) but dont forget tht you not gettin any younger yourself
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by Dreloaded(f): 3:01am On Dec 03, 2007
Dont care for Spanish, romeo. Wanna refer to me do so in English or dont bother at all.

Thanks.
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by Nobody: 3:09am On Dec 03, 2007
Eclairs:

What do we xpt from a 30 years old man? Lookin at the age, I think he's got genuine motives cz only a silly idiot wil want to stay a play boy at 30. Whether it's for your citizenship or not, you must realise that no one eva get married when the relationship is parasitic. Basically, you wont consider marryin him if he's a liability vice versa. Perhaps, it is more to do with your citizenship but at his age, its easy to see that he's willing to settle down and in the long term, it will only be of benefit to you both if you do marry him. Unless, he's got a secret grilfriend in Nigeria which he intends to marry. Even with that, it's not goin to be easy as it isn't a contract marriage. Mind you, should he return to Nigeria after his education (which will be the worst) he cld easily get a visa on application and I would think he'd cope fine even without the c_ship you fear he's after. At the end of the day, whether he's workin with someone elses' doc or not, his own docs are genuine and we would be deceivin ourself if we say this isn't common in the US.

Tell him your fears and trust your instinct but to be honest, I don't see any reason why you can't marry him unless indeed, you're not ready for marriage. (perhaps there's still a lot of things you wish to accompanish) but don't forget that you not gettin any younger yourself

well said, babe . . . but he might also be using her, so its better she takes it slow and test him before she accept his proposal.  wink
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by romeo(m): 12:16pm On Dec 03, 2007
D-reloaded:

Dont care for Spanish, romeo. Wanna refer to me do so in English or don't bother at all.

Thanks.

Neither do i care for French, so next time refer to me in plain English thanks too
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by Dreloaded(f): 3:05pm On Dec 03, 2007
Oh sharrap. French is better than Spanish in every way.
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Dec 03, 2007
TOH, take it easy! cheesy

No, don't stop, love to see a woman spitting venom! kiss
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by romeo(m): 3:47pm On Dec 03, 2007
D-reloaded:

Oh sharrap. French is better than Spanish in every way.

That clearly shows your ignorance!! where do we compare Spanish with French? a whole continent speaks spanish as their first language. Basket mouth cheesy cheesy
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by ifyalways(f): 5:03pm On Dec 03, 2007
qu'est ce qu 'il y a?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by Dreloaded(f): 5:05pm On Dec 03, 2007
Siena:

TOH, take it easy! cheesy

No, don't stop, love to see a woman spitting venom! kiss

Lol see this troublemaker. grin How are you jare kiss

romeo apparently likes looking for my trouble. Then again so do most Nlanders. I guess Im that entertaining tongue
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by romeo(m): 5:13pm On Dec 03, 2007
D-reloaded:

romeo apparently likes looking for my trouble. Then again so do most Nlanders. I guess I'm that entertaining tongue

Micheal Jackson grin grin grin
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by Nobody: 12:35am On Mar 15, 2008
So Tina, what DID really end up happening between yourself, and Ade?
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by blacklion(m): 1:15am On Mar 15, 2008
Mamaput - If he fathers a us citizen his stay is guaranteed

Not true at all. The INS deports alien parents of US citizens all the time. Do some googling

d-reloaded - and how are you an american and you don't know what INS is. Immigration & Neutralization Services.

See the big fool olodo mumu running her wide mouth anyhow as usual – INS is Immigration and Naturalization Service.
Always quick to rain abuse and defame naija men but morally and intellectually bankrupt. 'Neutralization' indeed! I know thats what your frustrated azz is wishing for naija men.

Spoilt brats and fools like this one here that has never been exposed to poverty and hardship in Nigeria is asking why a man should still be completing a first degree at 30 and claiming that Nigerian men don’t marry foreign women. Those who know the level of poverty in naija would not find it strange that a man would be paying his way through college at 30. those who have seen all the mulatto and halfcaste in naija know that naija men do marry foreign women. Frustrated slowpoke.

Siena - Adetina's Nigerian boyfriend in question has already started working on the wrong side of the law - using someone elses papers to get work! So, my views on him are based purely on that. Little indiscretions like that often snowball into full-time crime. It may not seem so right now, but it's classed as Fraud.

Nwoke, abeg stop talking nonsense here. Apart from those born with foreign citizenship, most naijas have to bend the law a little to get settled especially in the workplace. At least he is not dealing drugs or into 419 – just using friends/relatives ID to work extra hours. As a foreign student, eh can work only 20 hours per week. Now this guy is paying his way through school, plus living expenses plus sending money to naija. He def needs those extra hours

What is the percentage of naijas in Uk who were born citizens or migrated legally? Less than 20%. All others had to use fake NI or other peoples NI to work until they sorted themselves out including guys working at JP Morgan in the City today. So stop peddling this self-righteous crap.

@ all – this Ade guy has so many options open to him viz –

1. graduate, use his OPT to get a job and then get employer to file for H1B – he can offer to pay the legal costs to convince the employer who may not like to hire immigration attorney

2. get into grad school, remain legal as a student and keep on searching for a job that will get hm work permit and eventually green card

3. pay a ghetto babe to marry him for papers

Bottomline, he is legal right now and there are other EASIER options available to him. He does not ABSOLUTELY need to exploit Tina to get his papers.

Tina, don’t be deceived by the numerous frustrated Nigerian women here. They just want to scare you aware so they can maximize their options. There are way too many bitter and frustrated Nigerian spinsters in the US. Go slow with Ade but at least give him the benefit of the doubt.
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by Nobody: 1:39am On Mar 15, 2008
@ Blacklion: Tell your views to the INS, and they MAY just accept a little law-bending as the norm. But, I doubt it!

Poverty's no excuse to commit fraud, and not every wealthy individual remains honest! People WILL always be what / who they want to be, regardless of their status. Being poor doesn't make one stupid, just the same way, being wealthy doesn't make one smart. I know a lot of people in Nigeria, who were so poor, even getting 3 square meals a day was a struggle in itself. And today, they ARE doing great, both in Nigeria AND abroad, LEGALLY.

There are ways of getting your points across, without resorting to insults, or are you so used to having everyone accept your views as gospel? When folk get frustrated, they generally resort to insults, thinking they can shout folk down. But alas, it seldom works. Not with me at any rate.

You have your views on what's morally AND legally acceptable, I have mine too. How can this guy be legal, if he's using someone else's documents to work? Lol. If his were that clean, why doesn't he use his, huh? What you're effectively saying is, it's ok to break the law, as long as you do so with someone else's documents.

Let's assume he gets caught, what would his defence be? It's folk like this guy that make things harder for genuine people. Like it or not, Nigerians abroad ARE representing Nigeria, and Nigerians as a whole ARE generally judged by people like Ade, who choose to operate on the wrong side of the law.

And I'm happy to report, Kristina kicked Ade to the curb, she's not as gullible as she initially appeared afterall.
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by spoilt(f): 2:14am On Mar 15, 2008
Siena:

And I'm happy to report, Kristina kicked Ade to the curb, she's not as gullible as she initially appeared afterall.

excuse me siena but what is your source? are you the replacement? grin
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by Nobody: 10:30am On Mar 15, 2008
spoilt:

excuse me siena but what is your source? are you the replacement? grin

Spoilt, my source is the lady in question.

And no, I'm definitely NOT the replacement!  shocked I'm happy with lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by darlingD(m): 11:12am On Mar 15, 2008
Na wa. Some men never know what they want in life yet they think they are smart, lol. angry
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by Jairzinho(m): 2:16pm On Mar 15, 2008
Who ressurected this thread?

Siena:

Who's loss?
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by blacklion(m): 2:45pm On Mar 15, 2008
Siena:

@ Blacklion: Tell your views to the INS, and they MAY just accept a little law-bending as the norm. But, I doubt it!

Poverty's no excuse to commit fraud, and not every wealthy individual remains honest! People WILL always be what / who they want to be, regardless of their status. Being poor doesn't make one stupid, just the same way, being wealthy doesn't make one smart. I know a lot of people in Nigeria, who were so poor, even getting 3 square meals a day was a struggle in itself. And today, they ARE doing great, both in Nigeria AND abroad, LEGALLY.

There are ways of getting your points across, without resorting to insults, or are you so used to having everyone accept your views as gospel? When folk get frustrated, they generally resort to insults, thinking they can shout folk down. But alas, it seldom works. Not with me at any rate.

You have your views on what's morally AND legally acceptable, I have mine too. How can this guy be legal, if he's using someone else's documents to work? Lol. If his were that clean, why doesn't he use his, huh? What you're effectively saying is, it's ok to break the law, as long as you do so with someone else's documents.

Let's assume he gets caught, what would his defence be? It's folk like this guy that make things harder for genuine people. Like it or not, Nigerians abroad ARE representing Nigeria, and Nigerians as a whole ARE generally judged by people like Ade, who choose to operate on the wrong side of the law.

Siena,

Apologies for the collateral damage from fire directed at the male-bashing harpy - I mistook you for one of her numerous cheerleading fake handles.

Re-read Tina's comments right thru the thread. FYI, Ade is legal to work in the US as a foreign student. Google it up. But there is a restriction - he can work only a maximum of 20 hours/week. Depending on the job, he'd be lucky to make $12/hour - if its the usual jobs immigrants have to do. If he works more hours with his own ID/Social Security card, it'll show up on his Social Security deductions and payroll taxes by his employer. Meanwhile, he is paying his way through college, has to live and send money back home. So just like tens of millions of immigrants, he has to 'bend' the law to survive. At least he is not running fake Social Security cards [US equivalent of UK NI numbers]. He is working with his own SS/ID for 20 hours/week and then extra hours with the the identity/SS cards of relatives and friends. These are real people he knows who trust him with their ID so that he can work e.g. while they are at home back from their own jobs. That way, it won't show on their SS cards as if they were in two work lcoations at the same time which leads the IRS and INS to investigate. Most Mexicans don't even bother to be this careful - they just buy stolen SS cards from the mob or forge SS cards. The Chinese and Indians do it all in-house - they bring thier relatives over and keep them in closed shop employment. They arrange SS cards and stuff for them.

In my moral book, a new immigrant who uses his friends' and relatives' SS card to work extra hours in order to keep body and soul together is waaaaaaaaaay morally superior to the numerous 'odu' boys that are all over London. He is also far better than all those naijas who arrived in the UK 40 years ago and now abuse their positions in local councils and housing authorities to allocate multiple public-subsidized housing to themselves and their relatives for profiteering rents.

In case you are pretending not to know this, there are tens of millions of immigrants from Asia and Latin America in the US, a good number illegal. There are far more illegal immigrants from India and China than from Nigeria in America. They aree have to go through the usual rites of passage for new immigrants. Its not everyone that is privileged to come in thru HSMP or Visa Lottery or Spouse/Sibling Sponsorship.
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 15, 2008
Blacklion, I understand where you're coming from.
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by Nobody: 12:35am On Jan 05, 2011
I have been attending the Redeemed Christian church for quite some time. I married a man who is a member of thier church. This man used me for citizenship and he is high ranking member of this church in Malaysia and a member of the church, for 18 yrs in Nigeria. I supported him financially for 4 years, Sponsored him to Canada ,loved him and gave him a son. He left me a couple weeks after he gained his citizenship. This has been after 5 years of marriage and being a devoted wife to him. The church has assisted him to leave me and encouraged him to abandon me and our son. They are gossipers and mean hearted people. I have called both pastors for help in reconciling our marriage. They offered me no prayer or any kind of support what so ever. Even some of the other members in the church who did not like what my husband did to me spoke out and tired to support me and the pastor came down hard on them and discouraged them from doing so. I have been reliably informed that the pastor is arranging a new wife for me husband even though I am still legally married to him and still a member of the Redeemed Christian church. I am aware that not all churches are like this, but unfortunately the Redeemed Christian church function like a cult, but no offence intended. Finacially this church are taking advantage of us and they bought a building they can not afford and are now borrowing all the members money to pay for the down payment. They say by God's grace they will pay it back. This will be impossible for them to pay back as they dont have the means to pay it back. I was at church the church recently and was instructed to dance by a basket placed on the alter and give money if I want to worship with them the pastor centered me out and insisted that I must dance by this basket if I
want to worship with them.
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by WhyAWhy(m): 4:08pm On Jul 12, 2011
leahsarahk:

I have been attending the Redeemed Christian church for quite some time. I married a man who is a member of thier church. This man used me for citizenship and he is high ranking member of this church in Malaysia and a member of the church, for 18 yrs in Nigeria. I supported him financially for 4 years, Sponsored him to Canada ,loved him and gave him a son. He left me a couple weeks after he gained his citizenship. This has been after 5 years of marriage and being a devoted wife to him. The church has assisted him to leave me and encouraged him to abandon me and our son. They are gossipers and mean hearted people. I have called both pastors for help in reconciling our marriage. They offered me no prayer or any kind of support what so ever. Even some of the other members in the church who did not like what my husband did to me spoke out and tired to support me and the pastor came down hard on them and discouraged them from doing so. I have been reliably informed that the pastor is arranging a new wife for me husband even though I am still legally married to him and still a member of the Redeemed Christian church. I am aware that not all churches are like this, but unfortunately the Redeemed Christian church function like a cult, but no offence intended. Finacially this church are taking advantage of us and they bought a building they can not afford and are now borrowing all the members money to pay for the down payment. They say by God's grace they will pay it back. This will be impossible for them to pay back as they dont have the means to pay it back. I was at church the church recently and was instructed to dance by a basket placed on the alter and give money if I want to worship with them the pastor centered me out and insisted that I must dance by this basket if I
want to worship with them.

Are you serious about this?!!! This is nasty and horrendous, how come I only hear this stories and not witness any?!!! Kai nawa oh
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by WhyAWhy(m): 4:09pm On Jul 12, 2011
Just Saw your profile pix and confirmed what you just reeled out? The Redeemed that I know condemns every form of marital separation on all grounds
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by MrsChima(f): 5:03pm On Jul 12, 2011
Po Chile. You women gon learn one of these days. Sighs.
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by leuelliot(m): 5:14pm On Jul 12, 2011
*Attention caught by topic, walks in, has no idea what so ever bout what is and has been said, but is strongly convinced its the OP not her citizenship. walks out*
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by SarahMaria: 5:15pm On Jul 12, 2011
Hello Leahsarahk,

I am a white girl too and I am married with a Nigerian man.
Your story is very sad. I am so sorry for you  embarassed
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 13, 2011
thanks for your reply. How is your marriage going? I hope you are happy and God bless you,
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by akpan123(m): 12:14am On Jul 14, 2011
it is a very simple equation. tell him , you will marry him, but you want to relocate back to nigeria and you want to drop your us citizenship. And the marriage will take place in nigeria. see what has to say.
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by MrsChima(f): 1:42am On Jul 14, 2011
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Good suggestion. lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by Select(m): 3:35am On Jul 14, 2011
So what happened to Adetina and her Nigerian guy?
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by 677ano(m): 4:08am On Jul 14, 2011
be careful this looks like a scam
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by SarahMaria: 11:54am On Jul 14, 2011
hello leahsarahk,

I am happy with my marriage.
Of course we have had some problems because of our young age but we did it and since then I never regret it. smiley
Re: Is It Me, Or My Citizenship? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 08, 2012
Select: So what happened to Adetina and her Nigerian guy?

She saw the light, that's what happened.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

She Wants To Keep Her Virginity Till Marriage / Ladies- How To Get A Smaller Waist And Bigger Hip/butt ....part 1 / Meet Record Breaker At Having The Biggest Penis And Largest Vagina In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.