Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? (31335 Views)

How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? / Women Wearing Trousers: Conversation With A Brother / Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by osisi2(f): 5:18pm On Mar 31, 2009
vanitty:

I don’t think the Lord cares or judges us based on our physical appearances, as long as you have inner beauty, gentle spirit e.t.c . But then again everything should be done in a modest manner, make up included

he cares about our physical appearance.Moderation is the key.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Mar 31, 2009
there is nothing wrong with it.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by biina: 6:56pm On Mar 31, 2009
<reads posts, muses to self, and leaves>
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Truth11: 12:03pm On Apr 01, 2009
@poster,

Moderation is the key.

Situations are different and which part of the globe you are also matters and if the person is working then what type of job can also influence this. A person working in a hotel at the front desk or with public relations or an airhostesses or a receptionist or a sales executive, etc. where it is required to be well groomed and wear a make-up has to use wear a different make-up than other women. Do we say then believers should not take up these jobs.

It should be left to the conscience of a person. What matters is the person should be mindful of God's presence and present herself to the Lord first. A person who honors the Lord at all times will carry oneself respectfully and honorably.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Apr 01, 2009
@topic. !?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Truth11: 10:51pm On Apr 01, 2009
the topic is next to one's name, the first line of every post, in bold and underline and its in English! good luck!
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by isuol: 3:17am On Dec 10, 2009
pls dont reply this but go to God to forgive u, in one of ur post abt rccg, pastor Adeboye. Anyway i think u are out of ur senses and u really lack home trainiing, where on earth are ur parent? how could u be talking to man of God like that, that is deceiving people with his unseen miracles!! i pity ur life indeed and i hope God will show u mercy and may you not rot in ur ignorance. pls if u dont have anything to say stop all these ur rubbish. above all may u find grace and mercy in God's sight.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by agathamari(f): 4:14pm On Dec 10, 2009
@poster im still trying to figure out how the only diffence between american churches and nigerian ones that you have noticed is the makeup
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by alimat2(f): 8:16pm On Dec 10, 2009
agathamari:

@poster im still trying to figure out how the only diffence between american churches and nigerian ones that you have noticed is the makeup

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by mavenbox: 8:35pm On Dec 10, 2009
@Topic: Is it Biblical for Christian women to brush their teeth rather than just rinsing it out with water like the ancient Jewish women? Is it Biblical for them to wear glass shades when the sun is hot, since glass was not manufactured in those days? Is it biblical for men to wear long-sleeved shirts and ties (what on earth is that bowtie, by the way? It's not in the Bible!!)

There is nothing wrong with makeup. Moderation is the key because God looks at the heart's intents while man looks at the outward appearance.

Selah.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 10, 2009
It is up to the Christian woman herself to examine herself and ask why exactly she needs to or is wearing the artificial adornments. To ask herself really why she can't be as natural as possible and how exactly these artificial adornments help develop her spiritually as a christian.

It should not be about wearing artificial adornments merely to conform to worldly or media standards. A Christian woman should be concerned with the judgement and opinion of God on this matter rather than on how others would perceive her.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by kolaoloye(m): 2:44pm On Dec 11, 2009
mavenbox:

@Topic: Is it Biblical for Christian women to brush their teeth rather than just rinsing it out with water like the ancient Jewish women? Is it Biblical for them to wear glass shades when the sun is hot, since glass was not manufactured in those days? Is it biblical for men to wear long-sleeved shirts and ties (what on earth is that bowtie, by the way? It's not in the Bible!!)

There is nothing wrong with makeup. Moderation is the key because God looks at the heart's intents while man looks at the outward appearance.
Selah.

You have said it all, Christianity is not a bondage.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Dec 11, 2009
Well there are many types of bondage some subtle the rest kind of in your face. The love of artificial adornments can lead to bondage.

Furthermore God looks at both the the thoughts, the intents, and the external appearance and the of the person, and what's more, most often the external appearance reflects those thoughts and intents.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 11, 2009
Bobbyaf:

I have always wondered what has become of those who profess a conversion. I didn't realize that becomng a christian meant still holding on to worldly things and customs. So when Jesus said in order to follow Him one had to deny self, and take up the cross, what did he mean? There is no fooling oneself. Born again christians should free themselves of worldy things. Dress and live simply, and avoid waste. All that money spent on such stuff should be used to further God's cause, instead of self.

A lot of Christians nowadays want to run with the hares and hunt with the hounds. That can only lead to perdition.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by mavenbox: 4:25pm On Dec 11, 2009
Let me ask a question: Why do you think Jesus' garments were fought over and divided? It was EXPENSIVE. That was why. He lived in style, howbeit in moderation, which is important to God.

If Christians look haggard and unkempt, what will be the evidence of salvation to the heathen? What will be the evidence that God knows how to provide for, and take care of his own, if we look like destitutes?

This issue does not need to be flogged like a dead horse. The answer is rather evident.

It reminds me of the old gist I have often heard about "worldly music" (secular music). I do not endorse it, but the questions I ask about it are: What about the National Anthem? What about Football team songs? What about Instrumentals? And, going aside from music, what about Movies? Do you watch action movies by Arnold Schwarzenegger? What about the funny Jackie Chan? Bollywood? Nollywood? Those movies are secular, you know? And those clean novels (no explicit content)? What about textbooks that you use in school? They're all secular.

And I do not drink, but as I have said a number of times, wine is not evil, after all Jesus took it 'cos that was the CocaCola of his days. It's the actions you take after the wine AND you possibly get drunk that EASILY lead to sin. So if wine will make you sin, why should you take it? God is more concerned with you taking ANYTHING that will draw you away from him or that you will get dependent on, i.e. your heart is what he is concerned about, and not the object matter itself. e.g. if you love ice-cream so much that it's always on your mind, it will eventually lead you to sin. Does that mean ice-cream is evil?

So where do we stand? We're in the world, but not of the world. The experiences we are allowed to intermingle with the world are defined by their "peace quotient" PQ, "holiness quotient" HQ and "righteousness quotient" RQ.  grin grin

Spirit-controlled moderation is the key to everything, and if you're truly Born-again you will know the God-allowed limits to every human experience.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by ud4u: 4:50pm On Dec 11, 2009
Yes is not a sin to those that believe is not a sin but for them that believe is a sin it becomes sin to them.

Jere 4:30 says And when thou art spoiled, what wilt thou do? Though thou clothest thyself with crimson, though thou deckest thee with ornaments of gold, though thou rentest thy face with painting, in vain shalt thou make thyself fair; thy lovers will dspise thee, they will seek thy life.

And those that believe in this very scripture is living by it.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Dec 12, 2009
What is peace quotient, holiness quotient, and righteousness quotient? Who actually determines these quantities. You? Your friends? Well the bible should be the guide
and certainly not our feelings.

A christian should flee from every appearance of evil.

mavenbox:

If Christians look haggard and unkempt, what will be the evidence of salvation to the heathen? What will be the evidence that God knows how to provide for, and take care of his own, if we look like destitutes?

Who said anything about looking haggard and unkempt? We are saying that she should dress modestly and in such a manner that glorifies God.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by mavenbox: 3:53pm On Dec 12, 2009
To clarify before I go further, I dislike make-up, but I see it as a tool that is necessary sometimes in order to look presentable, when applied in moderation! I know my answers for myself, but you know why I am saying all of this? To ensure that people live their lives by God's Word, and not fall into the error of believing that they are SINNING when they look good, in sensible and presentable moderation.

For instance, when in youth fellowship, Mavenbox never broke the rules, no trousers in the Baptist church because it would cause vexation in those who thought it was a sin. Make-up was allowed but I wasn't so interested. So i refrained from it! But you know what? Most people who scream the whole makeup shebang to their children and followers, those same children and followers will seem to obey, but watch it: on campuses and other less restraining places they revert.

For questions and answers like this, all you need is the instruction of the Holy Spirit. Now let me ask you, tensor777, did you ever pray about this topic? Or you are simply posting what your pastor said? Because THE HOLY SPIRIT is the one who can express God's mind in TODAY'S PERSPECTIVES to us. Look at the Jews, still expecting a Messiah. And why's that? Because they are living in the past! God's revelation to man is progressive, and that is why the Holy Spirit had to come. And that's why you need to come off it!

This is an unfortunate tool used by the devil in this generation: he keeps people's minds busy with the whole make-up is a sin, trousers constitute sin, hairdo is a sin, etc (I wonder why there are few sins like this for guys) INSTEAD OF FOCUSING ON CHRIST, AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF OUR FAITH!

Culture and religion can never mix. You can't look good in the culture and not break the religion, unless of course the religion is based on that culture. So, tell me, tensor777, why do you shave your beard and other hair(s)? After all, the Jews never shaved?! undecided It's because this is not a religion! I repeat,
Christianity is not a religion bound by cultural limitations. It's the life of God in a man/woman physically living within cultures!

tensor777:

What is peace quotient, holiness quotient, and righteousness quotient? Who actually determines these quantities. You? Your friends? Well the bible should be the guide and certainly not our feelings. A christian should flee from every appearance of evil.
Have you NO humour? undecided undecided When I mentioned peace quotient, holiness quotient and righteousness quotient, didn't you see the smilies I placed there, indicating humour? undecided Didn't you see the PERSPECTIVE from which I was discussing before blatantly attacking what I said? Why did you single that part out as if it makes sense standing alone? undecided

Now, the following two verses contain what I meant by PQ, HQ, RQ. FROM THE BIBLE. I glide over your insinuation concerning my friends, because I have always been a maverick, I stand for the truth regardless of whatever my friends say!

Rom 14:16 Do not therefore let what seems good to you be considered an evil thing [by someone else]. [In other words, do not give occasion for others to criticize that which is justifiable for you.]
Rom 14:17 [After all] the kingdom of God is not a matter of [getting the] food and drink [one likes], but instead it is righteousness (that state which makes a person acceptable to God) and [heart] peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
Rom 14:18 He who serves Christ in this way is acceptable and pleasing to God and is approved by men.
Rom 14:19 So let us then definitely aim for and eagerly pursue what makes for harmony and for mutual upbuilding (edification and development) of one another.
Rom 14:20 You must not, for the sake of food, undo and break down and destroy the work of God! Everything is indeed [ceremonially] clean and pure, but it is wrong for anyone to hurt the conscience of others or to make them fall by what he eats.
Rom 14:21 The right thing is to eat no meat or drink no wine [at all], or [do anything else] if it makes your brother stumble or hurts his conscience or offends or weakens him.
Which is a reason why mavenbox may not wear make-up in places where it may cause others to stumble. But don't tell me it's a sin, that's just too poor and wrong. If I need make-up only because my friends use it, then it may turn out wrong. If I need make-up in order to look presentable, what's the sin in that? angry

TELL ME, HAVE YOU EVER USED A DEODORANT? MOUTH-WASH? PERFUME? HAIR-CREAM? It's all Make-up!!! Do you get that now? So if I know that a certain Musk perfume I use has the tendency to unsettle guys around me, and I continue using it, that's where there is a problem.

Heb 12:14 Strive to live in peace with everybody and pursue that consecration and holiness without which no one will [ever] see the Lord.

One thing people who criticize make-up don't get is that there is corrective make-up and adorning make-up. Are they both sinful, then? So, someone who has an embarrassing number of spots on her face, and wants to look presentable, and as such applies make-up, has sinned? If you believe so in your church, and I were the one, I would pray for direction to know if i should stay or leave. Because staying will eventually vex my own soul, and may even lead me to sin of resentment and anger for unnecessary restraints, when the same people preaching no-make-up are decorating the church and also looking good in sanctimonious suits, dresses and lady-hats. If an evangelist of yours has a terrible mouth odour, would he then be restrained from using make-up on his mouth (mouth-wash), and keep talking to people about the gospel with a malodorous mouth? And, stating a case for adorning make-up too, if used in moderation, it can be very appropriate.

Who said anything about looking haggard and unkempt? We are saying that she should dress modestly and in such a manner that glorifies God.
WHENEVER people hear make-up, the first thing they think of is heavy, unnecessary make-up. Who said you can't use make-up and dress modestly? That's a very wrong perspective.

1Ti 2:9 Also [I desire] that women should adorn themselves modestly and appropriately and sensibly in seemly apparel, not with [elaborate] hair arrangement or gold or pearls or expensive clothing,
1Ti 2:10 But by doing good deeds (deeds in themselves good and for the good and advantage of those contacted by them), as befits women who profess reverential fear for and devotion to God.
Timothy, pastor of Ephesus, had to be instructed about the women's dressing here. Why? You need to read the entire chapter. Being new converts into Christ, they were used to the glittering showbiz that obtains in idolatry, where the more "glorious" your dressing, the "holier" you are, because you are bringing honour to your deity. He had to warn them about that so that they won't place emphasis on dressing and lose focus of Christ and salvation. If you think it refers to make-up, I must ask you why women of God wear gold wedding rings (I wont talk about earrings) and those who can afford it wear expensive clothing (like Jesus and probably Mary Magdalene did). Does it make any sense, then?

I have always hated topics like this because objectivity is thrown out the window and people attend to Christianity like it was a heathen book of do's and don'ts. Christianity is not a bondage where such rules guide our experience! Please can you tell me FROM THE BIBLE how make-up is an appearance of evil?[/li] Don't even try that Jezebel line, because the fact it was said that she used make-up doesn't mean other righteous queens like Esther did not. In fact, I put it to you that THEY did. What do you think the beautification rooms in Esther were all about? undecided angry
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by mavenbox: 4:05pm On Dec 12, 2009
@ud4u,
I have posted the entire scripture below so we can consider it in perspective!

Jer 4:29  Every city flees because of the noise of the horsemen and bowmen. They go into the thickets and climb among the rocks; every city is forsaken, and not a man dwells in them.
Jer 4:30  And you [plundered one], when you are made desolate, what will you do? Though you clothe yourself with scarlet, though you deck yourself with ornaments of gold, though you paint your eyelids and make them look farther apart, in vain you [size=13pt]beautify[/size] yourself. Your lovers (allies) despise you; they seek your life.
Jer 4:31  For I have heard a cry as of a woman in travail, the anguish as of one who brings forth her first child--the cry of the Daughter of Zion, who gasps for breath, who spreads her hands, saying, Woe is me now! I am fainting before the murderers.

Never forget that here, the WOMAN talked about was a people, Judah, when they are laid waste by conquest and captivity! What God was telling Jeremiah here was that, there was nothing Judah would have to offer to their allies that would make them change their minds, they would destroy them still! Even if, compare to a woman, they apply make-up and dress up to look fine, they would still be killed. It doesn't say that make-up is wrong or evil or sinful. So we see that God told Jeremiah that the make-up beautifies the woman, although it is in vain when she has sinned against God and judgment has come for her.

Please let us carefully consider things in the correct perspective. The letter killeth, the Spirit giveth life!

Thanks u4du for the verse!  smiley
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 12, 2009
@mavenbox
I never said wearing make-up is a sin.( These are your words not mine) But what is important is the intent and thought behind the wearing of such.

You mentioned Jezebel and it should be noted that the bible mentioned the thoughts and intents behind her face-painting.

More explicitly the thoughts and intents behind painting could be inter alia

1) seduction
2) intimidation
3) insecurity

In these cases it becomes a sin.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Dec 12, 2009
Lets be very clear here. I am sure when the OP started this topic he was not referring to the everyday bathroom products that everybody uses to look presentable.

It was more to do with the coloured paints that certain women like to adorn their faces and fingernails with.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by mavenbox: 5:52pm On Dec 12, 2009
And how sure are you of what the OP meant by make-up? There are vast things referred to as animals, so if someone asks "Is it right to hunt animals", can I conclude that it means domestic animals rather than wild beasts? That would be very poor judgment.

So, when the OP said "Is it Biblical", tell me, what did the OP mean? It has to be one of these two:

1. Is it mentioned in the Bible?
2. It it a sin (right or wrong)?

It is obviously not (1.) because we have Jezebel, Esther, the Ephesian church women, etc. mentioned in the Bible directly or indirectly as using make-up.

As to (2.) it is either a sin or not. Prove to me from the Bible that it is a sin, and I will drop my argument. Otherwise I am out of here on this argument, seeing that it is not a sin.

What constitutes sin, fundamentally? It starts from a matter of the heart, ignoring God's counsel either deliberately or because you do not know it, and thus starting along a pathway to death. So, anything can lead to sin, anything from using Yahoo! Chat to craving noodles to seeking too much comedy to wearing make-up!

The argument is moot, then. undecided
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 12, 2009
I don't want to get into back and forth arguments with you as clearly you are a very intelligent and resourceful person.

But I hope you could reveal the reasons as to why people may perceive that wearing make-up is sinful which thereby, in these instances, makes you refrain from wearing it.

Also if it is that good  for a Christian woman to wear make-up why did you say you don't like it?

mavenbox:

To clarify before I go further, I dislike make-up, but I see it as a tool that is necessary sometimes in order to look presentable, when applied in moderation! I
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by mavenbox: 7:36pm On Dec 12, 2009
@tensor777:

Although I dislike "make-up", I have to wear some of it at times for the sake of presentational outlook. I would be a hypocrite to say I never use make-up because I use it at times. When I need to appear on a video shoot or TV program at times, for instance, I need to have my face made up because of the high-power video cameras that pick up EVERY detail. Not to digress, but you can see my current profile picture, I have no make-up on in this picture.

My reason to not wear make-up even if I need it, is to reach every believer irrespective of doctrine or dogma
1Co 9:20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
1Co 9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

In the Old Testament, there were many rules that were put in place to ensure that they had a kind of dressing that set them apart from other nations, so that everyone would see them as a people set-apart, and it would be hard to intermingle (intermarry) with other nations, which was forbidden by God.

Why was it forbidden by God for them to mix with other nations, where for instance, they use wax to remove all their hair (like the Egyptians)? It's because God knew that if they mix like that, they will learn false religions and customs, and their hearts will be led astray from him. The Jew nation came through Abraham because God trusted him on THAT count

Gen 18:18 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
Gen 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him

So why was God concerned that the Jews might be led astray? The devil really wanted to wipe out Israel, either by wars from their enemies, or by intermingling idolatrous nations with them until, like an epidemic, their love for God is wiped out. That was the theme of the Old Testament with respect to the devil, and his reason was simple: if Israel was wiped out using one of these means, the Saviour won't be able to come through Israel anymore. That would defeat God's plans, so God instituted hard (very hard) laws that ensured Israel's religious safety, military safety and medical health.

Today, many people consider the Old Testament but not from the right perspectives. Jesus said he had not come to abolish the Law, but to build upon it. In the Bible, especially the Old Testament, there are things that pertained ONLY to the Jews of Moses' day, there are things that pertained to the Jews in Jesus day, there are things that pertain to Jews after Jesus day, there are things that pertain to Gentiles like me who are Jews by the heart, and lastly there are things that pertain to Gentiles that are not born-again.

So why do some people preach that make-up is a sin? I think it is because they are not rightly dividing the word of truth? Or maybe I am not. undecided
2Ti 2:15 Study and be eager and do your utmost to present yourself to God approved (tested by trial), a workman who has no cause to be ashamed, correctly analyzing and accurately dividing [rightly handling and skillfully teaching] the Word of Truth.
2Ti 2:16 But avoid all empty (vain, useless, idle) talk, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness.

And, in my honest opinion, addressing a matter like make-up when people are still having problems understanding matters of faith, righteousness and the ministry of the Holy Spirit, constitutes the empty, vain, useless, idle talk that will lead people into more and more ungodliness.

What I believe about the ministry of the gospel is that whatever you teach, multiplies in your congregation. Have you ever noticed that? It's because faith comes by hearing. I know churches that preach prosperity at the demerit of other messages, and I see the fruits of the teaching in most of the members' lives. I know churches that teach healing and health, and very few of them get sick. There are churches that teach the Word of Faith, and that's what is rampant in the congregational knowledge. There's a name-withheld church like that which preaches and teaches on sexual sin, adultery and fornication almost all the time, and that's what keeps happening in the church. Faith comes by hearing, and when we dwell on ephemeral things like make-up and face-paint, it will be to the detriment of true knowledge of LIVING BY FAITH.

I am not under the Law, I'm led by the Spirit of God.

Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Rom 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Rom 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

The conclusion of my argument is that make-up is not wrong, it DOES NOT make one sin. It may lead one to vanity, prideful haughtiness, seduction, intimidation, insecurity and infallibly, sin but that does not make it wrong. Anything in the human sphere of experiences can cause one to sin.

Even going to school can make you sin, because you will hear and see wrong things from students and lecturers.

Jas 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. KJV

Pro 4:23 Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life. AMP
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 13, 2009
Well there is the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life. Agreed that someone may paint her face with no untoward motive but then it does invariably influence people's perception of her.

It is well known that men are moved more by what they see whereas women respond more to what they hear.
This visual stimulation, on the debit side, could lead to temptation, lust or even fear.

So in order to avoid this Christian women are enjoined to dress modestly and behave chastely.
A lot of posters here are going on about moderation in applying face-paint. But when we get down to brass-tacks what exactly does that mean? To be on the safe side it is better to avoid it altogether.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by mavenbox: 4:59pm On Dec 13, 2009
tensor777:

Well there is the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life. Agreed that someone may paint her face with no untoward motive but then it does invariably influence people's perception of her.

It is well known that men are moved more by what they see whereas women respond more to what they hear.
This visual stimulation, on the debit side, could lead to temptation, lust or even fear.

The terrible thing about religion is that nothing you ever do can be right, e.g. whether you wear make-up or you smear your face with red palm-oil. And that's why Jesus came, to give us Life rather than religion. Like a filthy rag, our religious correctness (holiness, righteousness, purity) will be tossed away in God's sight. But when God sees us, he sees Christ. Not Mavenbox. Not Tensor777. No. He sees Christ! And Christ is altogether holy, so we are not cast away.

Now, tell me, what about people that are very beautiful and even without make-up, others look at them and many invariably sin by virtue of that? Should they start wearing hoods like Lagbaja for that reason? Or what about people that even when they are dressed in rags, they are just very attractive effortlessly? I will keep harping on it: it's not the physical appearance that causes sin, it's the matter of the heart of the sinner and the causative factor. A classical LUST OF THE EYES example: In Eden, Eve had seen the forbidden fruit many times (so it was not a matter of the forbidden fruit's beauty or texture or color or shape) but she never sinned UNTIL the serpent made her see it from another angle (it was a matter of their hearts: i.e. the serpent's evil heart and Eve's peccant or gullible power-hungry heart). What you see cannot make you sin, it's what you do as a result of that. So if you know that something will germinate in you and produce evil fruit, don't look at it. But if, for instance, you are a doctor and you have, by virtue of work, seen many people au naturel, seeing another patient that way should not cause you to sin unless your heart already has a problem of sin leading to lust of the flesh.

tensor777:

So in order to avoid this Christian women are enjoined to dress modestly and behave chastely.
A lot of posters here are going on about moderation in applying face-paint. But when we get down to brass-tacks what exactly does that mean? To be on the safe side it is better to avoid it altogether.

I do not know what the others mean by moderation but this is what I mean:
Php 4:5  Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. KJV
Php 4:5  Let all men know and perceive and recognize your unselfishness (your considerateness, your forbearing spirit). The Lord is near [He is coming soon]. AMPLIFIED

But I mostly love the MESSAGE rendition
Php 4:5  Make it as clear as you can to all you meet that you're on their side, working with them and not against them. Help them see that the Master is about to arrive. He could show up any minute!

The Greek word translated "moderation" is ἐπιεικής (epieikēs) meaning appropriate, mild, gentle, patient. The EXACT word as translated shows up ONLY in four other verses too, as I have boldened them:

Titus 3:1-2  Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,
Titus 3:2  To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.

Jas 3:17  But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

1Pe 2:18  Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.

1Ti 3:3  Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

And from those perspectives, it is easy to see that MODERATE make-up means the type of make-up that is not over-colorful, gaudy, loud and noisy (see above Titus 3:1, 1 Tim 3:3), that actually makes the person look good as opposed to menacing, sullen or sinister (see Jas 3:17, 1 Pe 2:18) and lastly it makes people comfortable when they around you, that you're on their side and not trying to seduce them, intimidate them or horrify them (Php 4:5). So, if a woman has spots on her face and she needs to paint it over, it is better for her to do it IF the spots would make people uncomfortable around her, or if she's not comfortable having those spots on her face. But, as for applying red eye-liners, bright pink lipstick, heavy whatchamacallit and looking like a character from a Gothic thriller movie; I'm not for those kinds of things.

Let me quote Php 4:5 again in the MESSAGE to buttress my last point.

Php 4:5  Make it as clear as you can to all you meet that you're on their side, working with them and not against them. Help them see that the Master is about to arrive. He could show up any minute!

And that is why make-up is not wrong for a Christian whose heart is in the right place.

Q.E.D.

P.S> It was thoughts like this, no doubt, that started the whole women-suppression movement of the ancient Jews and the Muslims. Look at almost all cultures of the world, women are made to suffer with respect to men in terms of freedom. Which was something that Christ dealt with continuously. He never let any man put the women under chauvinistically. e.g. He actually had a number of women following him in ministry, one thing that annoyed many Jews. Now, I also know that women have a tendency to enter into excesses, but when the Holy Spirit is one's guide, one cannot fall into error.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by olabowale(m): 5:33pm On Dec 13, 2009
And it applies to just born again, ala poster's question. It does matter if the rest of the christian women do it! Among the Christians they have segregated themselves by "born again" not by true and complete belief!

Alhamdulillah I am a muslim and everything applies to muslims, equally, as soon as a person becomes a muslim, all rules apply as soon as she knows it, the one specific to women, as soon as he knoews it, the one specific to men, as as he/she knows it the one general to muslims.

Islam frees women from the age old gender bias that existed before the brand of Islam Muhammad (as) brought. Though we see gender bias among those societies which say they are muslims. However they are their own ethnic culture which is ingrained in their cultural genetic make up, rather than them going for islam, alone.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by mavenbox: 5:58pm On Dec 13, 2009
^^^ I think the people who segregate and say "born-again", "not born again" among Christians are deceiving themselves. A so-called "Christian" is someone that is, so to speak, "born-again", born from above into God's family.

Please note that CHRISTIAN is a slang. It's the name that people in the early centuries A.D. called Believers of Salvation through Christ, it was a derogative slang, an insult, it was used to describe them as "little Christs". BORN AGAIN is also a kind of slang, by way of speaking, because Jesus was trying to physically explain a complex spiritual truth about salvation of the human spirit, to Nicodemus. So he was telling him that he had to be "born again" like after his body had been birthed, his spirit had to be born from above as well. As I always say, whenever you attribute an analogy to explain a spiritual truth, some of the meaning is sacrificed.

So, what does the Bible call us, and how does God refer to us? Only two things: "Believer" and "Sons of God". Not Christians. Not Born-again Christians. The same way Barack Obama will not refer to Black Americans as niggers. It's just a slang, and people are crushing their heads over it? undecided

1Jn 3:1 SEE WHAT [an incredible] quality of love the Father has given (shown, bestowed on) us, that we should [be permitted to] be named and called and counted the children of God! And so we are! The reason that the world does not know (recognize, acknowledge) us is that it does not know (recognize, acknowledge) Him.

and other references:

Joh 1:12 But to as many as did receive and welcome Him, He gave the authority (power, privilege, right) to become the children of God, that is, to those who believe in (adhere to, trust in, and rely on) His name--[Isa. 56:5.]

Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Rom 8:19 For [even the whole] creation (all nature) waits expectantly and longs earnestly for God's sons to be made known [waits for the revealing, the disclosing of their sonship].

Php 2:15 That you may show yourselves to be blameless and guileless, innocent and uncontaminated, children of God without blemish (faultless, unrebukable) in the midst of a crooked and wicked generation [spiritually perverted and perverse], among whom you are seen as bright lights (stars or beacons shining out clearly) in the [dark] world,

1Jn 3:2 Beloved, we are [even here and] now God's children; it is not yet disclosed (made clear) what we shall be [hereafter], but we know that when He comes and is manifested, we shall [as God's children] resemble and be like Him, for we shall see Him just as He [really] is.

So, it is unfortunate that in the world's social system, e.g. school registration, when you fill out a form, "Christian", that insultive slang coined by Jews and Romans in the early 1st century, is what is on the form but when I have to, I fill it out.

As always, I buttress that with an analogy: It's like a primary school student who is a child prodigy and knows advanced calculus and mechanics. When the teacher condescendingly gives him graph-paper and he's meant to solve a math problem, he will be forced to solve it at the level at which he physically is: nursery school. He cannot employ derivatives to find the tangents and solve the mathematical problem because that is the system he is in. Because I answer to "Christian" does not mean that Christian is my real name. It is out of respect for world social systems.

As Jesus said,
Mat 22:21 They said, Caesar's. Then He said to them, Pay therefore to Caesar the things that are due to Caesar, and pay to God the things that are due to God.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Image123(m): 6:51pm On Dec 13, 2009
How can someone say that the Jews never shave just to make up a point?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by kwekwe: 1:17am On Dec 14, 2009
Personally i feel that make-up both facial or nail colouring is one trying to recreate herself or himself. If we appreciate the way God created us,
we won't go the extra mile of adding colours to a wonderfully and fearfully made body.The most impotant thing is for us to clean up our bodies.

judging from the bible, Jezebeel the woman the introduced the worship of baal in northern Israel was identified with make-ups. That alone should discourage kingdom seeking-christians from the use of make-ups anyway.

Besides, it is good for us to trace the origine of any fashion. Make-ups for instance use to be an ancient ocult practice and may not have had any christian
background.
Donald Tyson a known ocult writer who wrote RITUAL MAGIC and many other ocult books, in one of his books tittled SCRYING FOR BEGINNERS, Page 169-170
said, i quote

,,IT WAS COMMON FOR EGYPTIAN SCRYERS TO PAINT THEIR EYES WITH MAGICALLY POTENT COLORS AND HERBAL SUBSTANCES
INTENDED TO ENCOURAGE SECOND SIGHT. GREEN AND BLUE COLORS ARE APPROPRIATE. THIS EYE MAKEUP SHOULD BE VERY BOLD,
WOMEN MAY BE MORE INCLINED TO USE THIS EYE PAINTING TECHNIQUE THAN MEN, WHO , IF THEY PREFER, CAN MERELY WIPE A LITTLE OF THE
JUICE OF MUGWORT OR SOME OTHER VISIONARY HERB OVER THIER EYELIDS, '',

So the quotation above shows that there is a purpose for makeup in the ocult world, hence there is none in the christian world.
Christian ladies , please remember that you are wonderfully and fearfully made, so trying to recreate yourselves through makeups, may be to deny this fact.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 11:52am On Dec 14, 2009
A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump. There is no need whatsoever for a Christian for instance, to engage in face or fingernail painting or drinking alcohol.

So in that wise it makes no sense for some posters here to keep going  on about moderation. Simply abstain.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Ndipe(m): 8:13pm On Dec 14, 2009
I dont think it's a bad idea to wear make-up. Or, should women rather not perm their hair in the name of modesty, wear nice clothes and look all frumpy, living in unhabitable residences all in the name of Christianity? Not at all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Biodun Fatoyinbo To Spend Night In Police Custody Over Rape Allegation / Man Says He’s Been To Heaven Four Times, Draws Map / Like Stephanie Otobo, Like Stella Elmars: Nigerians Owe Apostle J. Suleman...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.