Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,778 members, 7,820,718 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? (31331 Views)

How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? / Women Wearing Trousers: Conversation With A Brother / Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Image123(m): 6:23pm On Dec 21, 2009
Sorry ma sister, I'm not giving a further response than I gave. Read through on my little talk with biina. I'll stop there, at least for now.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by JeSoul(f): 6:50pm On Dec 21, 2009
^ that's okay. I wanted you to see the problem in your position and your refusal to respond indicates to me that you do see the problem with a layman literal interpretation of that verse yanked out of the context in which Paul said it. It is this same problem that causes some to insinuate Paul taught that women should not speak in church.

If women cannot braid their hair (whatever kind of braid it was), then they cannot wear gold or pearls or any kind of expensive clothes whatsoever. And no right thinking christian would subscribe to such a position.

1 Tim 2 "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God." Lemme state in explicit terms that I submit, agree and believe 1,000,000% the above verse BUT we must look at the context in which Paul said this:

Firstly - Context is everything! Paul laid down these rules for "propriety in worship"  in other words these guidelines, first and foremost were for when women came to church! A woman athlete running the 100m dash surely will be very scantily clad, with the entire definition of her fit figure contoured and showing, but is her dressing inappropriate for the occasion? of course not. When I go to the gym and play bball, I wear shorts sometimes, and a tight fitting tanktop - is it appropriate dressing for the setting? of course but would I wear such to church? of course not. And would I wear a dress suit to the gym or the grocery store or for when I wash my car? that would be silly and inappropriate.

Secondly - Paul specifically mentioned "Braids" "Gold" "Pearls" and "Expensive clothes" for a specific reason. The problem in the church in that time was that these specific items were specifically worn by women ostentatiously, in an effort to outdo and outshow each other and hence Paul's[b] specific criticism[/b] of those items!

If it were in modern times, Paul might scold women who wear 6 inch heels to church or those huge loophole earings or deep eyeshadow and plum red lipstick. The problem was NOT those items, but it was the women and the attitude with which they wore them, and the negative association those items carried. Scripture is more than black or white, we need to read in context and understand that certain directives to the early church were not meant at all to be stretched and projected and become rule and law for christians in subsequent generations.

That being said, I will be the first to say we women, including myself have not lived up to 1 Tim 2 by a long stretch. But we are all works in progress and will continually grow in obedience to scriptural directives.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Image123(m): 8:49pm On Dec 21, 2009
No, lol. I'm the first to say women have not lived up to 1Timothy 2, not you. I see/saw your point though. It's great to hear that you're seeing mine.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by biina: 9:21pm On Dec 21, 2009
JeSoul:

Firstly - Context is everything! Paul laid down these rules for "propriety in worship"  in other words these guidelines, first and foremost were for when women came to church! A woman athlete running the 100m dash surely will be very scantily clad, with the entire definition of her fit figure contoured and showing, but is her dressing inappropriate for the occasion? of course not. When I go to the gym and play bball, I wear shorts sometimes, and a tight fitting tanktop - is it appropriate dressing for the setting? of course but would I wear such to church? of course not. And would I wear a dress suit to the gym or the grocery store or for when I wash my car? that would be silly and inappropriate.
So can I get an invite to the bball games? I would like to see first hand what appropriate dressing looks like wink grin
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by JeSoul(f): 9:39pm On Dec 21, 2009
Image123:

No, lol. I'm the first to say women have not lived up to 1Timothy 2, not you. I see/saw your point though. It's great to hear that you're seeing mine.
Lol, I already know say you be correct boy anyways smiley and if we were to be very very literal, Paul was actually the first! cheesy

biina:

So can I get an invite to the bball games? I would like to see first hand what appropriate dressing looks like wink grin
Lol, you're looking for trouble eh Binna? I thought you were going to be preoccupied long term or at least till season's end, ensuring the Dallas cheerleaders are not the root of their problems  grin

but . . .  sure you're welcome anytime . . . as long as my bodyguard permits  grin I almost never go anywhere 'dangerous' without him, and he has made it his personal responsibility and civic duty to tell me what is appropriate at pretty much all times [size=5pt] and boy have I been chastised on many an occasion lol[/size]
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by biina: 11:16pm On Dec 21, 2009
JeSoul:

Lol, you're looking for trouble eh Binna? I thought you were going to be preoccupied long term or at least till season's end, ensuring the Dallas cheerleaders are not the root of their problems  grin
I have been working hard on the dallas case, but given that they are likely not going to be in the playoffs, I felt i could spare the time to look into this as well. One can never have too much experience.

but . . .  sure you're welcome anytime . . . as long as my bodyguard permits  grin I almost never go anywhere 'dangerous' without him, and he has made it his personal responsibility and civic duty to tell me what is appropriate at pretty much all times [size=5pt] and boy have I been chastised on many an occasion lol[/size]
Dis bodyguard talk dey fear me small. I dont want to be mistaken for one with dishonorable intentions. I only seek to behold that which the Lord has done, and to declare it beautiful.
You having a bodyguard confirms my intuition that there is something worthy of all the protection. They say there is no smoke without a fire and I am suspecting some highly flammable stuff in your case.  grin

So do you think I should take a life insurance policy before coming to boston, or accidental injury coverage will be enough? cos I am one of those willing to die in the line of duty for the right cause grin
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Mavenb0x(m): 1:41pm On Dec 22, 2009
@JeSoul and Biina: cheesy cheesy cheesy tongue grin grin grin
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by onoerime: 10:33am On Dec 26, 2009
in everything, you have the good and bad side of it. to me anything we do on earth God looks at the motive of why you are doing that particular thing.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:36am On Dec 26, 2009
Those whose confidence is in scientists rather than the word of God should read this:

Make-up 'Peril' For Teen Girls

By JANE HAMILTON
Consumer Affairs Editor

Published: 23 Dec 2009

TEENAGE girls wearing make-up risk serious health problems, shock research claims.
They can absorb a cocktail of dangerous chemicals linked to cancer, infertility and serious hormone problems, the study found.

The danger is greater the younger girls start using make-up as their brains and bodies are still developing - making them more susceptible to chemical damage.

British girls start using beauty products around age 11, but some salons are open to kids as young as six.

And lab tests on girls aged 14 to 19 found ALL of them were contaminated with chemicals including dangerous phthalates, triclosan, parabens and musks.

Depression

All are commonly used in cosmetics. Scientists have linked these chemicals to cancer and hormone disruption - and some fear they could be connected to depression and early puberty.

The Environmental Working Group study is the first looking at the effects of cosmetics on teenagers.

The team based in Washington DC, US, found youngsters typically use around 17 personal care products each day - such as nail polish and hair dye - while adult women use just 13.

Campaigner Stacy Malkan said: "By the time most girls become teenagers many have a daily make-up ritual.

"As the layers add up so does exposure to dangerous chemicals, and that's very bad news for a young girl's health."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2782089/Make-up-peril-for-teenage-girls.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=News#ixzz0an2T610q

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2782089/Make-up-peril-for-teenage-girls.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=News
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by onoerime: 1:39pm On Dec 02, 2010
african traditions
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by mabell: 5:44pm On Dec 02, 2010
@Poster, listen to this:

there are 2 kinds of sisters
what they have in common is Jesus
One of them wears a flowing skirt, long sleeved shirt with turtle neck, a scarf(probably) and low heeled shoes
The other one wears a well tailored suit(probably a pair of trousers) with hair well made and a nice pair of shoes, not forgetting her beautiful make up.
The first sister obviously is holy while the other could be passed for an unrighteous sister
A little demon appears and what is the reaction of the first shocked lipsrsealed dumpfounded and when she finally gains herself, she goes Jesus! Jesus! help me oooo! eh! bla bla bla
But for the other sister, she goes face to face with the little demon and says " you devil hatched out of hell, i rebuke you in the name of Jesus, Go from here bla bla bla

The thing is it is not about the make up women wear no matter how beautiful or ugly it could make them look, the issue is what they carried on the inside. The devil cannot stand a beautifully made tongue talking sister who is full of God's word.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by tjmankind(m): 3:31pm On Dec 14, 2014
Why go far? When the answer is near. In us God has given us a conscience. For every first step you take? Is your conscience giving you a nod? My own opinion to this matter, how can you differentiate a believer and an unbeliever today? The early Christians were called christ like because they behave like christ. Be not be ignorant of the devices of the devil. Sin is sin either great or small. To make matter worst, little things count. Why al these things is important to note is because of one single aim, and which is entering the kingdom of God. Our lives shall be searched thoroughly and if there is any iorta of sin. My brother and sister, u knw wat dat means.

To say the truth of the matter, this our so called pastors, many will go to he'll, because they refuse to tell you the truth on how to live a christian life. Buh wat you hear from them these days is "go and prosper". The bible said seek ye first the kingdom of heaven, and every other things shall be added unto you. God knws your heart. Why not do His will and see if he will not do that you ve desired before you ask him.

In summary, what is your conscience telling you? Our major aim is to make heaven as Christians. Let's set our focus right. May God help us all. AMEN.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Biodun Fatoyinbo To Spend Night In Police Custody Over Rape Allegation / Man Says He’s Been To Heaven Four Times, Draws Map / Like Stephanie Otobo, Like Stella Elmars: Nigerians Owe Apostle J. Suleman...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.