Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,803 members, 7,820,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? (31332 Views)

How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? / Women Wearing Trousers: Conversation With A Brother / Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by DeepSight(m): 8:27pm On Dec 14, 2009
tensor777:

A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump. There is no need whatsoever for a Christian for instance, to engage in face or fingernail painting or drinking alcohol.

So in that wise it makes no sense for some posters here to keep going on about moderation. Simply abstain.

Abstaining is your personal decision. Leave the rest of us to enjoy our corrupt, immoral sexy lives of extreme decadence and debauchery.

Afterall, you will not be in hellfire with me, will you?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by JeSoul(f): 9:01pm On Dec 14, 2009
Is it a sin for a christian woman to wear make-up? I think it would be a sin for some not to  cool

That being said the answer is very simple. Along with everything else a christian does, whether it is sinful or not always comes down to the motive behind the action.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 14, 2009
Ndipe:

I dont think it's a bad idea to wear make-up. Or, should women rather not perm their hair in the name of modesty, wear nice clothes and look all frumpy, living in unhabitable residences all in the name of Christianity? Not at all.

You don't need to go into strawman arguments just to make your point. Who said anything about looking frumpy, not wearing nice clothes or living in hovels? What has that got to do with Christianity??
What we are saying is that they should dress modestly. Christian women can still look good in this wise ,without applying coloured paints and pigments to their faces and figernails.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Dec 14, 2009
Deep Sight:

Abstaining is your personal decision. Leave the rest of us to enjoy our corrupt, immoral sexy lives of extreme decadence and debauchery.

Afterall, you will not be in hellfire with me, will you?

Well, my advice was directed at Christians who by definition should not live licentious lives.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Dec 14, 2009
JeSoul:

Is it a sin for a christian woman to wear make-up? I think it would be a sin for some not to  cool

Well the bible says that Christian women are fearfully and wonderfully made. Hence there is no need to turn themselves into a masquerade in order to please the world.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by JeSoul(f): 9:48pm On Dec 14, 2009
Tensor, you speak well brotha. If all you're advocating is modesty, then you have a fan in me.

Surely you're not saying all make-up and finger-painting is wrong are you?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by olabowale(m): 9:58pm On Dec 14, 2009
The Question is: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? Responding to me with a thsis amounting to grandstanding will toe tapping around the issue is nonsensical. Hommie dont like that.

^^^ I think the people who segregate and say "born-again", "not born again" among Christians are deceiving themselves. A so-called "Christian" is someone that is, so to speak, "born-again", born from above into God's family.
The only thing that make sense here is that among the Christians, there are at least two camps; the born again and the obvious super deviants, the yet to be born again!

Please note that CHRISTIAN is a slang. It's the name that people in the early centuries A.D. called Believers of Salvation through Christ, it was a derogative slang, an insult, it was used to describe them as "little Christs". BORN AGAIN is also a kind of slang, by way of speaking, because Jesus was trying to physically explain a complex spiritual truth about salvation of the human spirit, to Nicodemus. So he was telling him that he had to be "born again" like after his body had been birthed, his spirit had to be born from above as well. As I always say, whenever you attribute an analogy to explain a spiritual truth, some of the meaning is sacrificed.
The bolded title "Christian" if its a slang, it has found its way into the Bible. However is this word the truth, or not, though it is a slang? Now we see that if a person denies it to be true because it is a slang, we may ask how many things are true that are in the Bible? Then we may therefore say that what is not in the Christian Bible is not true, or are they, knocking whats in the Bible as untrue? I present an abbatross; Trinity, and we should note that it is not in the Bible!

So, what does the Bible call us, and how does God refer to us? Only two things: "Believer" and "Sons of God". Not Christians. Not Born-again Christians. The same way Barack Obama will not refer to Black Americans as niggers. It's just a slang, and people are crushing their heads over it?
If in the Bible, it is true the Christian proves to us, or lies?! But what about the things not in the Bible; Trinity and the claims that the prophet of God, Mose believed in Trinity, otherwise there were two sets of Gods; One God for the Jews of Moses  and 3 gods of the Jesus era or post Jesus era?

1Jn 3:1  SEE WHAT [an incredible] quality of love the Father has given (shown, bestowed on) us, that we should [be permitted to] be named and called and counted the children of God! And so we are! The reason that the world does not know (recognize, acknowledge) us is that it does not know (recognize, acknowledge) Him.
World in this case was just middle east. Obviously the whole world extend beyond that. And being permitted does not mean you were in the true sense of it, the only reason you received PERMISSION!

and other references:
Joh 1:12  But to as many as did receive and welcome Him, He gave the authority (power, privilege, right) to become the children of God, that is, to those who believe in (adhere to, trust in, and rely on) His name--[Isa. 56:5.]
It Isaac had said this, are the Jews who are not Christians and never believed in Jesus also children of God, where by if the Children of God is limited to the Christians, are these Jews Christians, too? The other thing is that John saying the same thing if it was said by Jesus, then God Himself is not important as Jesus is? I submit that Jesus was not the speaker of the John Verse, and Isaac was not talking about Jesus, because he would nullify his own religion, and people, even the one who saved them, Moses!

Rom 8:14  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
Rom 8:19  For [even the whole] creation (all nature) waits expectantly and longs earnestly for God's sons to be made known [waits for the revealing, the disclosing of their sonship].
Php 2:15  That you may show yourselves to be blameless and guileless, innocent and uncontaminated, children of God without blemish (faultless, unrebukable) in the midst of a crooked and wicked generation [spiritually perverted and perverse], among whom you are seen as bright lights (stars or beacons shining out clearly) in the [dark] world,
1Jn 3:2  Beloved, we are [even here and] now God's children; it is not yet disclosed (made clear) what we shall be [hereafter], but we know that when He comes and is manifested, we shall [as God's children] resemble and be like Him, for we shall see Him just as He [really] is.
Apart from the fact that the whole set of verses amount to personal selfish desires by the writers, the bolded proves my point that the statement was not coming from Jesus, and in addition, it does not make any sense, except that it is a fool's gold syndrome.

So, it is unfortunate that in the world's social system, e.g. school registration, when you fill out a form, "Christian", that insultive slang coined by Jews and Romans in the early 1st century, is what is on the form but when I have to, I fill it out.
As always, I buttress that with an analogy: It's like a primary school student who is a child prodigy and knows advanced calculus and mechanics. When the teacher condescendingly gives him graph-paper and he's meant to solve a math problem, he will be forced to solve it at the level at which he physically is: nursery school. He cannot employ derivatives to find the tangents and solve the mathematical problem because that is the system he is in. Because I answer to "Christian" does not mean that Christian is my real name. It is out of respect for world social systems.
Such a prodigy will not be kept in Primary School, but sent to University classrooms.

As Jesus said,
Mat 22:21  They said, Caesar's. Then He said to them, Pay therefore to Caesar the things that are due to Caesar, and pay to God the things that are due to God.
I wonder what the relevance of this verse is, in this argument and or the topic?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Dec 14, 2009
JeSoul:

Tensor, you speak well brotha. If all you're advocating is modesty, then you have a fan in me.

My point is that it is not necessary for a Christain woman to adorn herself with such paints and pigments.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by olabowale(m): 10:04pm On Dec 14, 2009
@JeSoul: « #69 on: Today at 09:48:08 PM »  

Could you show proof(s) from your Bible?

Modesty, in this case could be advanced to the moderation drinking but not getting drunk, or stealing but not big things, sexual indulgences (this reminds me of the sales of indulgence and before it, there was nothing called Protestants) as long its not every day?

I wanna pull your leg alittle. Amusing myself at the same time that I hope you will see the weakness in the Mosesty.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by mavenbox: 10:16pm On Dec 14, 2009
O my king! OLABOWALE on this thread, making puerile remarks at my post because his senile mind couldn't comprehend it? Has anyone noticed he is the only person i insult on nairaland? Please I need an intelligent muslim if at all i need a muslim to respond to my post. Where is the seeker? Or some comedy from Abuzola?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by JeSoul(f): 10:19pm On Dec 14, 2009
tensor777:

My point is that it is not necessary for a Christain woman to adorn herself with such paints and pigments.
Not necessary? absolutely right. Sinful or unbiblical? absolutely not.

olabowale:

@JeSoul: « #69 on: Today at 09:48:08 PM »  Could you show proof(s) from your Bible?

Modesty, in this case could be advanced to the moderation drinking but not getting drunk, or stealing but not big things, sexual indulgences (this reminds me of the sales of indulgence and before it, there was nothing called Protestants) as long its not every day?

I wanna pull your leg alittle. Amusing myself at the same time that I hope you will see the weakness in the Mosesty.
Alhaji sir, it is always good to cross paths with you  smiley  We already know say na cat and mouse you sabi play when it comes to these issues so I will not indulge the above post.

Btw, how is my Olayiwola?  cool
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by mavenbox: 10:24pm On Dec 14, 2009
JeSoul, I love you. You explained my heart using your last 3 or 4 posts, what I tried to say with many words. I guess thats the hazard of hardened writers of fantasy like me: verbosity.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by JeSoul(f): 10:34pm On Dec 14, 2009
mavenbox:

JeSoul, I love you. You explained my heart using your last 3 or 4 posts, what I tried to say with many words. I guess thats the hazard of hardened writers of fantasy like me: verbosity.
I have been a fan of yours since day one Maven, believe that girl. I like the way you think and express and some of your breakdowns on the YEC thread I found very illuminating and straight-up delightful to read. Pls keep it up!  kiss

and while verbosity has its ails, it also has its benefits - same as brevity smiley
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by kwekwe: 9:00am On Dec 15, 2009
The message should be moderation in that which is good and abstainance from that which is bad.
For instance you can't preach moderation in tobaco, hard drugs, alcoholic beverages, etc because from little you get addicted,
the moment you are addicted, it may be very difficult to pull-out.
Can we say that a lady can't look good and clean without makeup? that indeed may amount to falsehood.

From my last post in page two, in the ocult world, they use makeup to achieve a purpose, the question should be, of what purpose is makeup to a christian
lady if not to add colour to what GOD has made colourful and decleared '' GOOD'' or ignorantly emulating those who are doing it to achieve a purpose.
Remember, the Bible in strong terms condems wordly emulation.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Image123(m): 9:41am On Dec 15, 2009
I'm bored this days on the religion forum. Let me indulge in this.
1Timothy 2
9. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array.
10. But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
11. Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
I'm musing, and I think a lot of women are weighed and found wanting as regards this passages. Their brains and reasonings have spoken louder than obedience by faith. May God open your eyes.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Dec 15, 2009
kwekwe:

The message should be moderation in that which is good and abstainance from that which is bad.
For instance you can't preach moderation in tobaco, hard drugs, alcoholic beverages, etc because from little you get addicted,

I am getting bored with people twisting the bible to suit their own ends. It says flee from every appearance of evil.
Hence a Christian woman should simply abstain from face and fingernail painting. It is that simple.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by firebrand: 4:50pm On Dec 15, 2009
I think the problem is not the word of God but our total disregard for the word of God. The old things are passed away as amplified in the bible are not really passed away in many professed born again christians. Romans 12;1 states that "I beseech you brethren by the mercies of God that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable unto the Lord, which is your reasonable service".

Because we are addicted to wearing all these worldly materials, we are now striving with God, and modifying God`s word to suit our desire. Imagine this, God told Abraham to circumcise every male child of his, and never ask him to perforate the female child`s ear. It was not error of ommission from God to have left the female fold out it, but man says it was a mistake from God and now decided to put holes on the females` ear. 1 Tim. 2;9 is very emphatic about it,", not broided hair, or gold, or pearls or costly array".

Therefore, "whoever have ears let him hear what the spirit is saying to the church"
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by JeSoul(f): 10:41pm On Dec 15, 2009
I was going to let this slide but . . . I can't believe some of the things I'm reading here.

kwekwe:

So make-up is bad? is that what the bible really says?

1 Tim 2: I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes.

If you took this scripture at face value only that means women should not braid their hair or wear expensive clothes or gold or jewelry at all. Is that your position? Image, Tensor and Kwe? please clarify. Because I am about to demand you never buy anything of value for your wives, allow them to braid their hair and you must all shave your heads according to 1 Cor 11.

What was Paul's motivation for writing 1 Tim 2? was it to ban women from wearing make-up and braids and jewelry? or was it to curb the prevalent practice of corinthian women dressing seductively and putting heavy emphasis on their looks instead of their hearts and deeds? Scripture is more than just black and white people, and its not about twisting or modifying to fit the times, not at all.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 15, 2009
I dont read where it says a christian woman cannot look beautiful, i dont see were the bible says she shld not wear pants or paint her nails or adorn her hair . . . if you wish to marry a deeperlife wife pls go ahead but dont use the bible to support your personal decision. Me i would love to have a woman i can be proud of anywhere.
My 2 kobo
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by mavenbox: 11:24pm On Dec 15, 2009
davidylan:

I dont read where it says a christian woman cannot look beautiful, i dont see were the bible says she shld not wear pants or paint her nails or adorn her hair . . . if you wish to marry a deeperlife wife pls go ahead but dont use the bible to support your personal decision. Me i would love to have a woman i can be proud of anywhere.
My 2 kobo
LOL no offense meant at anyone but me I like this Davidylan guy. Way to go! grin grin grin

@JeSoul: I got tired of the gist jare. I think I have flogged the issue too much  (someone may say 'cos Maven is implicated but that won't be quite right 'cos I hardly use make-up)
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 12:22am On Dec 16, 2009
^^^ grin
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by noetic15(m): 12:30am On Dec 16, 2009
It is to the glory of God that a Godly-woman dresses well. The basic thing is the intention. does the intention for the make-up et all glorify God?
is make-up a sin?. . . . .Nope. But in ur individual walk with God, He might ask u to give up certain things which are not necessarily a sin.
God has asked me to give up certain habits that do NOT constitute a sin literally.,. , .And I gave them up.

that aside. . . . .I would like my woman to look stunningly beautiful so that heads will turn when she passes. cheesy cheesy
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by noetic15(m): 12:31am On Dec 16, 2009
olabowale:

@JeSoul: « #69 on: Today at 09:48:08 PM »  Could you show proof(s) from your Bible?

This must be the joke of the day grin grin
alhaji, how have u been?. . . I have missed u cheesy
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Image123(m): 9:15am On Dec 16, 2009
JeSoul, why you put my name for the mix now? If so, kindly do your research on what plaiting and braiding was like in Bible days. Please get back on that. This is getting interesting.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 16, 2009
davidylan:

My 2 kobo

You don't need to get into strawman arguments which in itself is a sign of weakness. What does the beauty of a Christian woman have to do with make-up, when the bible says she is fearfully and wonderfully made??
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by mavenbox: 11:35am On Dec 16, 2009
@tensor777: What about clothes? Since she is wonderfully made, why not wrap herself in a single sheet or wear the animal fur God made for them in Genesis 3? On the other hand, i need you to tell me if Queen Esther used make-up?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 16, 2009
Image123:

I'm musing, and I think a lot of women are weighed and found wanting as regards this passages. Their brains and reasonings have spoken louder than obedience by faith. May God open your eyes.
@mavenbox
This is not a theological exercise.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Dec 16, 2009
Braided hair is bad? What do you want African girls to do with their hair? embarassed embarassed sad
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by noetic15(m): 3:09pm On Dec 16, 2009
stillwater:

Braided hair is bad? What do you want African girls to do with their hair? embarassed embarassed sad

Go bald. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 16, 2009
When Abraham's servant saw Rebecca, he put two bracelets on her hands and gave her gifts in gold. cool Now you want to tell me I cannot be adorned in such? cool

noetic15:

Go bald. shocked shocked shocked

You want me to look like you? embarassed
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by noetic15(m): 3:22pm On Dec 16, 2009
stillwater:

You want me to look like you? embarassed

grin in ur dreams.

P.S. I am the most handsome guy u would ever set ur eyez on
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Dec 16, 2009
noetic15:

grin in your dreams.

P.S. I am the most handsome guy u would ever set your eyez on

Oh yeah? Really? Is that so? shocked Do you wear make-up? cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Biodun Fatoyinbo To Spend Night In Police Custody Over Rape Allegation / Man Says He’s Been To Heaven Four Times, Draws Map / Like Stephanie Otobo, Like Stella Elmars: Nigerians Owe Apostle J. Suleman...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.